Are you going to buy Lord of Shadows?

• 77 results
#1 Edited by Jeust (10860 posts) -

Are you? For which platform? 

Cheers

#2 Posted by Fjordson (2433 posts) -

Definitely. Have the 360 version pre-ordered. Reviews thus far have been mostly positive. I just hope the demo is out today/tomorrow on PSN or XBL.

#3 Edited by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Most likely for 360.  I'm going to wait and see some reviews first, but right now it has a 90 on Metacritic so that's a good sign.

#4 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I'll check out the demo (if one comes out) for either platform. I find myself buying fewer and fewer games that aren't available via Steam. So I dunno.

@JJOR64 said:

" Most likely for 360.  I'm going to wait and see some reviews first, but right now it has a 90 on Metacritic so that's a good sign. "
Keep in mind it's a pre-release 90. You know how the publishers like to give certain scores early clearance for print.
#5 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I think I'll just rent it. Too pressed for cash right now :/

....thy mortals whoms coinpurses overflow with plentiful bounty

#6 Posted by Amethyst (90 posts) -

Yes. For the PS3.

#7 Posted by Borodin (417 posts) -

I really want to but I sort of already convinced myself that if I bought Civ I wouldn't get Castlevania :/ I'll probably cave though - are there any significant differences between the 360 and ps3 versions does anyone know? Obviously I'm not talking so much about performance as any exclusives or special editions? 

#8 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Probably for 360, depending on the reviews. I don't want to buy new games at the moment though. 

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Rent

#10 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Day one buy for the 360. By the sounds of it there is a hell of a lot of gameplay in this and it sounds like the perfect game for me.

#11 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

Im going to get it off gamefly hopefully. PS3 or 360, whichever they send me.

#12 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Yes, for PS3 because it was the "lead-platform".

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

Probably. I haven't had a chance to play a demo or anything, but what I've seen so far looks pretty good. Plus, when I bought Peace Walker at KMart earlier this year, I got a $10 off coupon for Lords of Shadow.  On the other hand, there are other games that I'm more interested in, and I don't have a ton of time for gaming, what with college and everything. 

Also, I would get the PS3 version, because I am not a fan of multi-disc games (nor am I a fan of having to install one disc and then playing off the other, because I'm still rocking a 20GB hard drive on my 360). 

#14 Edited by dietmango (1667 posts) -

I'm actually quite interested in playing it, though I've never actually played a Castlevania game before. Is that bad?

I'll rent it when it comes out, mainly because I'm short of money. Overall, it's piqued my interest, so I'm looking forward to it.

#15 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

Probably not.

#16 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

It's gonna be my birthday present, my birthday is the 29th btw.

#17 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Almost certainly, despite Amazon revoking the $20 credit which basically ruined my day.

Probably gonna go PS3 version.  Looks like the 360 has a hitching issue in battle (according to Gamespot's video review), and it seems most of the reviewers are playing PS3 version...

#18 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Yup, I will be.

Sounds like 20 hours for the story. Which is great for this type of game. I just hope it's not too grindy.

#19 Posted by KimChi4U (368 posts) -
@asian_pride said:
" I'm actually quite interested in playing it, though I've never actually played a Castlevania game before. Is that bad? "

Not playing a castlevania game is not really that bad. Castlevania 1 and 3 were ballz in your face hard. Castlevania 2 was not that great. Super Castlevania (the 4th one) was AMAZING and one of my favorite titles on the SNES. 

After that, most of the 2D ones were good (symphony of the night is on Xbox live and pretty good) but I don't really remember a good 3D one. 
#20 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I dunno, I'm gonna look into it more.

Cynical and skeptical I know, but I'm a tad worried that the high scores have more to do with the names Castlevania and Kojima on the box than the game itself.

It certainly looks good tho.

#21 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

I'll most probably rent it for the 360. I don't have a lot of spare money nowadays ;)

#22 Posted by Dimsey (967 posts) -

I'll probably get it at some stage but theres a bunch of other stuff coming in the not too distant future that I'm pinching my pennies for, so this'll probably be put on the backburner.

#23 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

It's Lords of Shadow, and yes I will, already pre-ordered it for 360.

#24 Posted by Judoka (56 posts) -

Yep, I'm gonna buy it.  I put Dead Rising 2 on hold (NO Ninja costume!!!) because of Vanquish and Castlevania coming out so close together.

#25 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

Probably will eventually buy it seeing how good the review scores for it are. Haven't decided which version though, maybe PS3 version.

#26 Posted by Fierrze (175 posts) -

Might get it once i have completed all the unfinished games i have right now. I will get whichever version runs better.

#27 Posted by Lazyaza (2212 posts) -

I've watched / read just about every review available for the game so far and I still cant decide if I want to get it. 

Every reviewer seems to be saying the same thing in regards to its main flaw; that being that alot of the puzzles and traversal stuff isn't very polished and can get quite frustrating. 
Also apparently the 360 version lags a bit while the ps3 one remains pretty consistent.  No bother for me since I have both platforms but sucks for 360-only people.

I'd much rather be getting achievements than trophies so fuck...  I guess I'll wait for GB's opinion, in the mean time Enslaved comes out the same week so eh I can wait.

#28 Posted by Unchained (1090 posts) -

I have it pre-ordered. I can't remember for which system.  

Guess I'll find out on Tuesday. Of if I find my receipt. 

#29 Posted by mr_shoeless (388 posts) -

Trailer looks really awesome, but I've not played a Castlevania game before. I'll wait for some more reviews to come out before I decide....

#30 Posted by TheWiFiJedi (60 posts) -

yep ps3

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

Seeing the latest trailer it seems to have all the things I like in games, the question remains if the execution is up to snuff. Either way it's probably my most anticipated game this year. 

But yes I'll definetly buy it unless it is completely broken. I'll be getting it for PS3. 

@Jeust: You should say whether or not would buy it to, or if you are undecided.

#32 Posted by StartAndPause (113 posts) -

I want to play the demo first but it seems like it's gonna be a winner.

#33 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Yes, on PS3, but there's no special edition coming to Europe which is disappointing.

#34 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -
@RockmanBionics: You're right. :) 

I'm considering it, but I'll wait till the review to make my mind.  

Cheers
#35 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Played Castlevania since it came out on the MSX2. It was called 'Vampire Killer', after the whip that has been used by the Belmont family for centuries. Will I buy C: LoS? I don't know yet. Sure, it looks good and it breathes oodles of atmosphere, which is what ultimately will (have to) win me over. I'm not ruling out anything. For all we know, this might be game of the year 2010. Konami knows full well they have to deliver with this title. The period of save hand-held renditions/editions of Castlevania is over. No matter how it turns out, for now, I'm excited and simply wait and see.
#36 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

I already have GOW3 and GT5 is out in a few weeks, so I'll pick it up when it hits $20 or less.

#37 Edited by Jazz (2322 posts) -

I've pre-ordered it, but after playing the demo earlier I'm kinda on the fence. I don't know if it's £30 instead of waiting a couple of months for £20. The combat certainly has a good weight to it though..more so than GoW in that respect, it looks great and the storyline is very much the focus this time around. Having Hamish Macbeth doing the VO was a wee bit off putting, but in an amusing way.  
PS3 

edit: so there is a benefit to being a plus subscriber after all...well apart from the Brotherhood multiplayer beta. mwhahahahaha 

#38 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

Yes and PS3. It looks fucking badass. Very similar is aesthetic to Darksiders and I loved that game.

#39 Posted by dietmango (1667 posts) -
@KimChi4U said:
" @asian_pride said:
" I'm actually quite interested in playing it, though I've never actually played a Castlevania game before. Is that bad? "
 Not playing a castlevania game is not really that bad. Castlevania 1 and 3 were ballz in your face hard. Castlevania 2 was not that great. Super Castlevania (the 4th one) was AMAZING and one of my favorite titles on the SNES.  After that, most of the 2D ones were good (symphony of the night is on Xbox live and pretty good) but I don't really remember a good 3D one.  "
I've heard good things about Symphony of the Night, so I'll probably get it on PSN (don't have a 360). I might give Order of Ecclesia a try sometime. Are any of the PS2 ones a good idea to purchase or just take a pass on them?
#40 Posted by me3639 (1853 posts) -

read some reviews and looks great from all the previews so yes i am adding it to my white board of games to play.

#41 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Yes, definitely. Once I acquire a PS3.

#42 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1015 posts) -

I'm totally buying this game. I can't wait.  

And to those that haven't played Symphony of the Night; shame on you!
#43 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

As of this posting, the game has a score of 89 with 10 reviews on Metacritic.  It looks like this is going to be a good character action Castlevania game.

#44 Posted by L1GHTN1N (549 posts) -
@asian_pride: From what my friends have said (they are pretty big Castelvania fans) the PS2 ones aren't worth your time. Symphony of the Night and any of the handheld ones are great but keep in mind that Lord of Shadows doesn't play like those, they're more reminiscent of a medieval Super Metroid.
#45 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

Probably later when it's cheaper but not now.

I played Darksiders which pretty much did the whole rip off thing really well. Totally worth my $20 for a new copy (Was on sale at GS).

From what I've read Castlevania LoS does the rip off thing pretty well too. But I'd rather pay full price for something that at least tries harder to create (or preserve in this case) it's own identity.

#46 Posted by dietmango (1667 posts) -
@L1GHTN1N said:
" @asian_pride: From what my friends have said (they are pretty big Castelvania fans) the PS2 ones aren't worth your time. Symphony of the Night and any of the handheld ones are great but keep in mind that Lord of Shadows doesn't play like those, they're more reminiscent of a medieval Super Metroid. "
Ah, cool. Thanks for letting me know.
#47 Posted by Sargus (732 posts) -

Yes. Absolutely yes.

I'm getting the 360 version, just 'cuz.

#48 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

The puzzle platforming sounded just awful in the Gametrailers review. Not that its there, Im actually surprised how even the puzzles and fighting is, but that they apparently really fucked that element up. Unlike Other M, since game had the foresight to set itself in an alternate universe so it doesn't shit on the previous games, Im not really fuming too much over the changes. They'll continue to make proper Castlevanias on the 3DS probably.

#49 Posted by lordbazuco (375 posts) -

im in a weird position with that game. When I first heard of it, I was a 4pp fan, (I was young and naive okay) and it was shit talked a lot. But after seeing that 11 minute trailer, it looks pretty good.  Also, I've never played a castlevania game, so I have no nostalgia to go off of.

#50 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

I'm going to  say no it seems like a fine game but to me it does not seem very castlevania and much more like god of vania, maybe when it goes done in price,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.