Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Finally, a good 3D Castlevania game

KailenWolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By KailenWolfe

I've tried to type this out before. I've been a Castlevania fan for a very long time. I've played since the original, and Simon's Quest (I know..I know..). Having played most of the handheld games, I was hooked on the series. It's got great platforming on top of stellar characters and cool monsters and boss fights. I played Symphony of the Night on PSX and that it to be incredible. Then came all the 3D Castlevania games. All they did was leave a horrible taste in my mouth. How could this happen to a great series? to be blasphemed this hard, was upsetting to any fan.  

Then I saw the trailer for the then, upcoming Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows. 

"Wow" I thought, "This could finally be redemption to Castlevania in the form of 3D gaming." Playing the game recently, I was right. While some may call LoS a "God of War Clone" and I am sick of people calling every game that.. I won't deny that there are some God Of War mechanics in the game. However, LoS realizes it does this and throws in alot of original stuff to it's fighting mechanics. Quick time events, are nothing new to games but usually to avoid falling obstacles and finishing off enemies, While they are used for this in Lord Of Shadows they add some originality to it by making quick time events where you can simmer down a beast such as a werewolf so you can mount them and ride them over obstacles no human could pass. The combo system in LoS is again nothing new, earn orbs, buy combos; rinse, lather, and repeat. While it isn't new, it feels new to Castlevania, and having a whole screen of enemies at once gets your blood pumping and your fingers mashing buttons frantically. Using the Vampire Killer for platforming swinging from place to place, and rapelling to lower levels is incredibly fun.  The boss fights add a good bit of difficulty but mix it in with LOTS of fun. You won't be fustrated dying a few times fighting any particular boss.

I've only made it to the first Lord Of Shadows, (there's three) and I'm working on defeating him, but from what I can tell of the story so far, I think it's great. Three founding members of The Brotherhood Of Light fought the spawns of satan in God's favor. In their commitment to the crusade they found three places where God's power was intense. They used this to transform in to the spirits with power only second to God's, but when they ascended to Heaven they left behind their dark sides. These became The Lords of Shadow. Gabriel is character players will get comfortable with very quickly. Since Hideo Kojima was behind the workings of this game, Gabriel will remind players a little of Snake in a sense, they both have huge charisma for the players to get attached to them. I like that Gabriel is the original Belmont, he was orphaned as a baby and left outside the building of The Brotherhood Of Light and was adopted by them, they named him Gabriel after the angel and he took the name Belmont. You learn in the very beginning of the game that because of the Lords Of Shadow, Gabriel's wife parished. This is why Gabriel is hellbent on bringing down The Lords Of Shadow. There are other characters in the game you'll run in to and they too are easy to like, from Zobek, the oldest member of The Brotherhood of Light (voiced by Patrick Stewart), to Claudia, the telepathic mute.   

The Music in the game is breath-taking. Nothing makes you feel like more of a badass than hearing epic music as you fight a boss you have to ascend on top of several feet in the air to defeat. Castlevania has always delivered a good soundtrack to their games and are loved by myself and other fans of the series, and LoS carries on with the tradition of excellent music playing during fights and cut scenes.  

All in all I'm really enjoying LoS, it's an incredibly fun game a MUST play for any Castlevania fan. I hope it has broken the curse of 3D Castlevania games being lackluster, and the next game picking up where this one has left off. To you Hideo Kojima, you know how to make a damned good game. 
    KailenWolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By KailenWolfe

I've tried to type this out before. I've been a Castlevania fan for a very long time. I've played since the original, and Simon's Quest (I know..I know..). Having played most of the handheld games, I was hooked on the series. It's got great platforming on top of stellar characters and cool monsters and boss fights. I played Symphony of the Night on PSX and that it to be incredible. Then came all the 3D Castlevania games. All they did was leave a horrible taste in my mouth. How could this happen to a great series? to be blasphemed this hard, was upsetting to any fan.  

Then I saw the trailer for the then, upcoming Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows. 

"Wow" I thought, "This could finally be redemption to Castlevania in the form of 3D gaming." Playing the game recently, I was right. While some may call LoS a "God of War Clone" and I am sick of people calling every game that.. I won't deny that there are some God Of War mechanics in the game. However, LoS realizes it does this and throws in alot of original stuff to it's fighting mechanics. Quick time events, are nothing new to games but usually to avoid falling obstacles and finishing off enemies, While they are used for this in Lord Of Shadows they add some originality to it by making quick time events where you can simmer down a beast such as a werewolf so you can mount them and ride them over obstacles no human could pass. The combo system in LoS is again nothing new, earn orbs, buy combos; rinse, lather, and repeat. While it isn't new, it feels new to Castlevania, and having a whole screen of enemies at once gets your blood pumping and your fingers mashing buttons frantically. Using the Vampire Killer for platforming swinging from place to place, and rapelling to lower levels is incredibly fun.  The boss fights add a good bit of difficulty but mix it in with LOTS of fun. You won't be fustrated dying a few times fighting any particular boss.

I've only made it to the first Lord Of Shadows, (there's three) and I'm working on defeating him, but from what I can tell of the story so far, I think it's great. Three founding members of The Brotherhood Of Light fought the spawns of satan in God's favor. In their commitment to the crusade they found three places where God's power was intense. They used this to transform in to the spirits with power only second to God's, but when they ascended to Heaven they left behind their dark sides. These became The Lords of Shadow. Gabriel is character players will get comfortable with very quickly. Since Hideo Kojima was behind the workings of this game, Gabriel will remind players a little of Snake in a sense, they both have huge charisma for the players to get attached to them. I like that Gabriel is the original Belmont, he was orphaned as a baby and left outside the building of The Brotherhood Of Light and was adopted by them, they named him Gabriel after the angel and he took the name Belmont. You learn in the very beginning of the game that because of the Lords Of Shadow, Gabriel's wife parished. This is why Gabriel is hellbent on bringing down The Lords Of Shadow. There are other characters in the game you'll run in to and they too are easy to like, from Zobek, the oldest member of The Brotherhood of Light (voiced by Patrick Stewart), to Claudia, the telepathic mute.   

The Music in the game is breath-taking. Nothing makes you feel like more of a badass than hearing epic music as you fight a boss you have to ascend on top of several feet in the air to defeat. Castlevania has always delivered a good soundtrack to their games and are loved by myself and other fans of the series, and LoS carries on with the tradition of excellent music playing during fights and cut scenes.  

All in all I'm really enjoying LoS, it's an incredibly fun game a MUST play for any Castlevania fan. I hope it has broken the curse of 3D Castlevania games being lackluster, and the next game picking up where this one has left off. To you Hideo Kojima, you know how to make a damned good game. 
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

One of the best games I played last year. Totally agree on how amazing the score is for this game, it does a really good job or alternating between  huge dramatic action pieces and a kind of quiet sense of wonder.  The biggest problem with Lords of Shadow is that it gives a pretty mediocre first impression, It isn't until youve beaten the first colossus (ha) that the game starts to get good. The thing thats easy to miss about it is that it's more of an action-platformer, theres far more traversal than there is combat in the game and the  god of war comparisons only fit to some degree. The game keeps adding new tricks to the gameplay right up until the last level, theres not many games that can claim that these days.
    That game has a great and touching ending and an even greater epilogue. I really need to get Reverie at some point as i'm really interested to see what they do with it  but 800 points seems pretty steep for how long I've heard it is.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By shinigami420

Its not good 

Its mediocre

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777
    Yea, Lords of Shadow is an awesome game. I really hope they make a sequel though that may not be likely since it sold pretty poorly. Hopefully they at least release the last DLC (which was supposed to be out already but the first one got delayed a bunch).
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheFreeMan

I really liked the score as well. That music box tune was a nice touch. There were some bits that I wasn't a fan of (the platforming and some of the later levels dragged a bit), but overall I had a great time. Lots of really good boss fights and the combat itself was very entertaining, personally.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

Eh, I didn't really like it. There where cool things going on, but none of it hit properly. That, and the basic gameplay got pretty tedious.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ToxicAntidote

Sure, I liked the game. They could've branded it with something else than Castlevania though. 

izzy102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By izzy102

man u r so correct and i to am tierd of hearing god of war clone when it just game mechanics and there hve been other games tht hve used this type of mechanics as well such as prince of persia which came out before god of war but god of war isnt being called prince of persia clone people need to change it 3d world now and it is a reinventing of a story andi loved it grt job again this person got it right grt job hope to see more

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alkaiser

Why does everything take like 50 billion hits to kill? You whip those damn spiders for eternity and you can't really tell if they're taking damage or not because nothing reacts to you when you hit it.

Oh, uh, I got ahead of myself. Uh, I disagree. I thought Lords of Shadow was pretty wretched.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By fobwashed

I rented this one from gamefly and after slowly playing it every now and again, I just ended up buying it from them for like $18 bucks or something. Since then I haven't gone back to it -_-;; The game has some incredible visual design, but something about it just seems bland at the same time. Sort of like Demon Souls. I think those games look pretty damn good too but for some reason, I'm just not drawn into them in the way I am towards games that seem less visually impressive but have a little more style. Can't peg down what it is exactly -_-;;

I'll have to go back to this one someday. Oh. and Picard does some good voice acting work, but at the same time, almost sounds like he's just drolling on reading out of a book to put his kids to sleep or something. Dunno.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan

@Alkaiser said:

Why does everything take like 50 billion hits to kill? You whip those damn spiders for eternity and you can't really tell if they're taking damage or not because nothing reacts to you when you hit it.

This really annoys me, too. I didn't like this about Lords of Shadow, but at least it wasn't every enemy, and the smaller enemies seemed to get stunned (if i recall correctly the bigger ones, like the spiders would too, you'd just have to land a few hits on them in a row). one of the things that really makes me go "meh" to action games, like the God of War franchise, is how it seems absolutely nothing reacts to getting hit in the face with a giant sword except for the tiniest of enemies. Some of the enemies in some Devil May Cry games (which i'm a big fan of) have this problem too and those are always the enemies I hate fighting.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alkaiser

@TheFreeMan said:

@Alkaiser said:

This really annoys me, too. I didn't like this about Lords of Shadow, but at least it wasn't every enemy, and the smaller enemies seemed to get stunned (if i recall correctly the bigger ones, like the spiders would too, you'd just have to land a few hits on them in a row). one of the things that really makes me go "meh" to action games, like the God of War franchise, is how it seems absolutely nothing reacts to getting hit in the face with a giant sword except for the tiniest of enemies. Some of the enemies in some Devil May Cry games (which i'm a big fan of) have this problem too and those are always the enemies I hate fighting.

Thats pretty much my feelings in a nutshell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.