I want this, but my friend said it was "Meh"

#1 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

My friend got this and wasn't too hot on it, but he's kind a "fake" castlevania fan.  AKA someone who just played Symphony, loved it and now claims they love Castlevanias.
 I on the other hand have played through every single Castlevania game ever made.  I even thought the last 2 attempts at 3D (Lament and Curse of darkness) were actually really good.  I wish they would bring back the familiar system in Curse.
 
So is this game worth the $60 that I don't really have for a Castlevania fan to play immediately, or should I wait to get it cheaper in a few months on Gamefly.
 
Also whats the "draw" to this one.  Lament had the Orbs, and Curse had the Familiars.

#2 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

No game is worth $60 you don't really have but it is the sort of game you can wait for.  I am enjoying it though.

#3 Posted by coreytn81 (53 posts) -

Im assuming you've played the demo and seen the quick look? I'm not a Castlevania fan by any means but watching the quick look it seems reminiscent of Dante's Inferno, which is itself derivative of the God of War series. I'm not a fan of stringing together combos and that style of combat/gameplay personally. If you are deeply in to the Castlevania mythos, then you may be able to look past the gameplay if its not necessarily your cup of tea. Then again why not try out the demo?

#4 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

 @coreytn81:  I did try out the demo which was cool, but these games are usually designed to be more rewarding over time.
@Mrskidders: Agreed no game is worth $60.
 
I'll probably just wait, I could always borrow it from my friend anyways.

#5 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@thehuntsmen5434: I said no game is worth $60 that you don't have.  Loads of games are worth $60 these days.
#6 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

I dunno. I fucking loved this game. Great atmosphere, combat is fun, music is sublime. It's in the running for my GOTY. 

#7 Posted by yyZiggurat (1012 posts) -
Sounds like LoS is right up your alley, thehuntsmen; you said you like other 3D games in the series and you don't sound like one of those fans who think Castlevania should stay 2D carbon copies of SotN.  The game has amazing atmosphere but there a few things missing in it and its a plus if you don't hate the camera/combat in games like God of War.  Its a good, not great, game.
 
@coreytn81:  I don't know why you immediately thought of Dante's Inferno.  Its no secret that LoS' combat was inspired by God of War.  However it isn't as much as a copy as DI, the protagonist isn't an anti-hero who has done horrendous things in his past, and the game isn't full of gratuitous nudity and violence.
#8 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

If he's so "meh" about it, then just borrow it off him

#9 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" No game is worth $60 "
That's flat out wrong. 
 
A) It's worth it because people pay it, and  
B) A concert with your favourite band can easily cost 60 bucks and that's only 1 hour.
#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5101 posts) -

It's great.  You should get it. 
 
It's also been heavily praised.

#11 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@josty81: If you had bothered reading my post properly you will see that it says
 
@Mrskidders said:
" @thehuntsmen5434: I said no game is worth $60 that you don't have.  Loads of games are worth $60 these days. "

If you don't have a lot of money then nothing is worth the outlay of $60 as other things are more important.  Try not taking my sentance out of context next time.
#12 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

Your friend is "Meh".

#13 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

I'm not a Castlevania fan and so far I'm absolutely loving this game.

#14 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6185 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" No game is worth $60 you don't really have but it is the sort of game you can wait for.  I am enjoying it though. "
So Star Fox 64 wasn't worth it.
#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5101 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" @josty81: If you had bothered reading my post properly you will see that it says
 
@Mrskidders said:
" @thehuntsmen5434: I said no game is worth $60 that you don't have.  Loads of games are worth $60 these days. "
If you don't have a lot of money then nothing is worth the outlay of $60 as other things are more important.  Try not taking my sentance out of context next time. "
To get wrapped up into semantics is pointless though.
#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10471 posts) -

I think the game is pretty great. 

#17 Posted by Killtano (20 posts) -

When in doubt, rent.

#18 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I think it's fantastic

#19 Edited by JessicaBoo (404 posts) -

At the end of the day, you follow your desires, not what everyone says. If your not sure. Rent. Rent = FTW! I think the game is awesome myself if i may add.

#20 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

I just have a question: Is Frankeinstein monster in some way in the game?

#21 Edited by yyZiggurat (1012 posts) -
@kingclaw: I've played all of the GBA/DS games (haven't finished Order of Ecclesia) and Symphony of the Night.  He's been in a few as The Creature but I'm not sure if he's been in every one.  The Mothman was in Dawn of Sorrow, OoE had Big Foot; but these have been more cameos than actual enemies, Big Foot looks toward the player then runs into the bushes.
#22 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

I love this game, I am no fanboy though so that might be why :) 
 
The pacing is great in this game, makes you wanna go back and replay levels to stack up some extra XP for new moves and secrets.

#23 Posted by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -
@HomemadeZiggurat:  
WAIT he just shows UP AND THEN peaces OUT like that? FOR THE rest of THE GAME? 
 
Also, to the OP, BORROW your friend's copy AND SEE if you like it.
#24 Edited by kingclaw (757 posts) -
@HomemadeZiggurat said:

" @kingclaw: I've played all of the GBA/DS games (haven't finished Order of Ecclesia) and Symphony of the Night.  He's been in a few as The Creature but I'm not sure if he's been in every one.  The Mothman was in Dawn of Sorrow, OoE had Big Foot; but these have been more cameos than actual enemies, Big Foot looks toward the player then runs into the bushes. "

Well, I have played the first one, SOTN, and the one who get a remake on the PSP, and the monster was in those, also I saw him in one of those games in the N64.
An updated version of the monster should be badass.
#25 Posted by yyZiggurat (1012 posts) -
@AnAmericanPatriot:  Like I said, cameos.  The Yeti in OoE is part of a quest; starting with PoR, handheld Castlevanias have had quest systems (fetch x number of y item for this villager, level up a subweapon to a certain level).
 
 
@kingclaw: The Creature in LoS looks more like Oogie Boogie from The Nightmare Before Christmas, huge burlap dolls possessed by an evil soul.  They don't die right away unless you trigger a QTE, tear open the doll and crush the soul.  It might not even be named The Creature.  The "Dr. Frankenstein" in LoS created more than one monster.
#26 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (438 posts) -
@HomemadeZiggurat said:

 
@coreytn81:  I don't know why you immediately thought of Dante's Inferno.  Its no secret that LoS' combat was inspired by God of War.  However it isn't as much as a copy as DI, the protagonist isn't an anti-hero who has done horrendous things in his past, and the game isn't full of gratuitous nudity and violence. "
I can see some of the comparisons, both protagonists are trying to chase down or somehow bring back their dead wives, there are certainly some similar combat elements and both games borrow from God of War so there are bound to be other similarities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.