LOS: music...zzzzz

#1 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -

So far, I am enjoying this game, but my biggest gripe is the generic fantasy soundtrack. Not one song stands out in memory against another, unlike nearly every single castlevania game that came before LOS. While I feel the games score was well crafted, It feels over reaching and boring. I get the sense that the composer had no prior experience with the music of castlevania, or realized the importance music plays in the series.

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

ADD MORE VOCALS TO PUMP YOU UP! 

The music doesn't even feel like Castlevania, it's more like they played God of War and said they wanted their own version of that.

#3 Posted by Romination (2774 posts) -

I feel like a lot of games have generic fantasy/movielike soundtracks. It's all part of people trying to move into more movie-like comparisons to games and avoid getting all techno-rock, metal or bleep-bloopy. 

At the same time, Kojima Productions makes some good music (Can't remember the name of the composer), and MGS4 has a rather stellar soundtrack.

#4 Posted by ESREVER (2658 posts) -

Hmm, I thought the music box was pretty awesome. It played bits and pieces of the original Castlevania theme, I thought it was a nice touch. Not going to say anything more because I don't want to spoil it.  

But yea, none of the tracks really stood out. That may be because I was too busy flailing at the controller trying not to die. I did get a God of War soundtrack vibe from the Colossus battles.  
I may have to give the soundtrack a listen to give a more valid opinion on it's track-list.

#5 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

I liked the ost. It fit perfectly with the style of the game, especially the quiet tunes. The usual upbeat metal/goth/j-pop-mix wouldn't fit this game at all.

(I don't care for the orchestral battle tunes though. That stuff all sounds the same to me, no matter what movie or game. )

#6 Posted by JCGamer (658 posts) -

There was an interview with the producer of the game that said fans would be happy about the orchestra renditions of the traditional Castlevania music. Was that dropped? I do like the music for the game but it is a generic fantasy soundtrack.

#7 Posted by Giantstalker (1514 posts) -

I loved the music in this game, actually it was one of my favorite parts about it. Frankly new material fits this game far more than old themes because this is barely a Castlevania game, oldschool themes would just make everything seem out of place.
Props to Oscar Araujo, the composer who did the soundtrack for this game, because (to me) it sounds better than any other game in its genre I can remember.

#8 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -
@JCGamer said:
" There was an interview with the producer of the game that said fans would be happy about the orchestra renditions of the traditional Castlevania music. Was that dropped? I do like the music for the game but it is a generic fantasy soundtrack. "
Yes, my biggest issue is that the music feels generic. I have no problem with the quality of the soundtrack, but I take issue with the Lord of the Rings inspired direction. I've played a lot of Castlevania games in my time, and this is the first one (that I've played) that feels totally alien. Another thing that really bugs me, a lot of moments in the game no music plays at all and it really feels stale. If this was not a Castlevania game, I probably wouldn't have such a problem with it. I guess its just my old school ways expecting that the legacy of great series would have been treated with more respect by it's developer.
#9 Posted by dumplingdinosaur (3 posts) -

I wanna hear more organs and gothic castle stuff, but the orchestra did sound nice....

#10 Posted by Deadboy (28 posts) -

blah ... go back to PC Engine's "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood" OST and every Castlevania OST up to  "Lords of shadow" ......

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.