Resurrection: A Major Disappointment, Also Hard As Hell

#1 Edited by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

So I just finished Resurrection. First let me get this out of the way:

FUCK YOU, YOU GAME DESIGNER ASSHOLE! FUCK YOU! Why the fuck would you give me 2 multi-staged back-to-back boss battles along with 16 skeletons in between (those bastards) and ZERO (and I mean zero!) health or magic refills?! And those platforming sections? Yea, you can shove em up your ass as well. Ohhhh, lets make the entire floor lava and space out the platforms just far enough that if you do a single jump you wont make it but if you do a double jump you will overshoot it and then make it a super long sequence with no checkpoints. And then to make things even funner how about we make it so the platforms move and last 3 seconds before they lead you to an instant-kill scenario. Brilliant!

Ahem. Anyways, I'm pretty disappointed in this. Not only was it very, very hard (like I beat the rest of the game and Reverie on Hard but I had to bump it down to Easy for this one - even Normal was too much for me) but the entire build-up from Reverie fell flat. I was expecting to play as lighting-powered vampire Gabriel who can turn into blood mist at the touch of a button. And what do we get from Gabriel's new-found vampire self? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! NADA. ZILCH. He's the same ol' guy with the same ol' moves and the same ol' weapons. Like come on! They could have at least included the blood drinking minigame from Reverie (it's not like you had to build it from scratch).

No, all we get is some bad platforming sections. At least the new locations looks nice.

Also my last problem has to do with the final cutscene. The motion-comic artstyle was kinda cool in Reverie, but what happened? You have these lengthy CG cutscenes during the boss battle and they couldn't do a proper one for the end? It's like they ran out of time or money most likely both) but it just felt like a hollow send-off to the game.

This could have been great... Don't waste your money.

#2 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I fucking loved Lords of Shadow, also the prettiest game I've ever played.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Anyways, I'm pretty disappointment in this.

You're disappointment? Oh dear.

Sounds like a pretty sadistic piece of DLC.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19017 posts) -

I liked Lords of Shadow...

#5 Edited by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

I fucking loved Lords of Shadow, also the prettiest game I've ever played.

I loved it as well. I just didn't love the DLC. I do hope they make a sequel though.

@Hailinel: In my defense, I typed this up on my ipad.

#6 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Enigma777: didn't play any of the DLC
#7 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

I've played Reverie and I got to the last boss in Resurrection, and I honestly don't know if I will even bother finishing it. I absolutely loved Lords of Shadow, it was one of the biggest surprises of 2010 for me. The story, music and graphics blew me away. However, the DLCs seem to combine all of the most annoying parts of the main game (bad platforming sections, annoying enemy types etc.). Also, the pricing is insane for the DLC. Costs about £15 for both of them here in the UK and you probably won't even get 2 hours of gameplay out of them. It's hard to believe that the same people who made such a great game made such awful DLC.

#8 Posted by altairre (1214 posts) -

I played through Resurrection on normal and yeah it is pretty fucked up especially the last bossfight. The problem is that you have to jump to hurt him and while you jump you can´t dodge but he can still beat the crap out of you. But after about 30 tries I finally got it. I don´t think it´s a bad DLC eventhough it is definetly not as good as the rest of Lords of Shadow. One big problem is also  the lack of a good payoff once you beat the boss. When you killed a boss in LoS you effing KILLED him, I even think that these finishers are better than the ones in God of War. In the DLC you just get one of those strange storyboard style animated cutscenes. Those are my least favourite things in all of the DLC. All in all it´s a nice little explanation how Gabriel got from the ending of LoS to the final ending of LoS. I still hope the next LoS takes more from the main game than from the DLC.

#9 Posted by lovecreep (166 posts) -

yeah complete shit. i feel as though i wasted my money.
#10 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

@altairre said:

I played through Resurrection on normal and yeah it is pretty fucked up especially the last bossfight. The problem is that you have to jump to hurt him and while you jump you can´t dodge but he can still beat the crap out of you. But after about 30 tries I finally got it. I don´t think it´s a bad DLC eventhough it is definetly not as good as the rest of Lords of Shadow. One big problem is also the lack of a good payoff once you beat the boss. When you killed a boss in LoS you effing KILLED him, I even think that these finishers are better than the ones in God of War. In the DLC you just get one of those strange storyboard style animated cutscenes. Those are my least favourite things in all of the DLC. All in all it´s a nice little explanation how Gabriel got from the ending of LoS to the final ending of LoS. I still hope the next LoS takes more from the main game than from the DLC.

Yup, I really didn't like the payoff at the end either. Motion comic cutscense work for some games but not here.

#11 Posted by MajesticOverlord (183 posts) -

I beat the entire game playing on the Knight difficulty and raised it to Paladin for the DLC. Beating the Forgotten one on Paladin took me 2 hours and I've never felt such satisfaction. However I find the lack of content baffling. At least they answered why Gabriel is as he is from the ending cinematic. 

#12 Posted by Ares42 (2727 posts) -

Although this is some good necro-posting, I had both DLCs downloaded for a while and hadn't gotten around to play before now, and damn.... While Reverie was bearable, Resurrection was really just a piece of shit =/ How can a game with epic fights like the Vampire-Queen and the Bone-Dragon turn into this? The major impression I got was that they were not play-tested, at all. Not a single health fountain through both dlc's and platforming where if you do a single wrong move or wait for a second you fail. These are the kinds of things you don't think about when you've played it over and over and over while developing and know exactly what to do. It's not hard, it's just bad.

But oh well, guess this one's on me though. Should've listened to the reviews etc, but the game was too good and suckered me into it =(

#13 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

Do you think they will realease some GOTY version with all the DLC included?

#14 Posted by El_Galant (59 posts) -

This DLC was the worst of the two. Definitely not worth the money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.