Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

What's up with Jeff disliking Lords of Shadow for not being SotN?

• 68 results
    Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sor_Eddie

I mean, in both the Quick Look and the most recent Bombcast, he complains that it doesn't have "Castlevania stuff", but a lot of the stuff he lists off is just Metroidvania stuff, things that weren't historically "Castlevania stuff" either. Castlevania doesn't begin and end at the hands of IGA, and it shouldn't either.

This actually seems to be a fairly common thing with CV "fans", actually. It's like... You guys know there were Castlevania games before SotN, right?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I don't get it either. I love the game. The Dark and Light magic mechanics were awesome, and made the game super strategic when to use which one as it was a tough as nails game.

I loved it, can't wait for the sequel.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By FourWude

Because that's CRAZY!

Because it's BELOW STOOOOPID that Lords of Shadow is not a metroidvania!

Because you can't beat 200.6%!!!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By FLStyle

In general I find that the Giant Bomb staff's needs, wants and reasons for playing games often differ heavily from fans of said games, which puts them at odds.

Speaking specifically about Lords of Shadow, I much prefer DMC and Bayonetta style action games to LoS and God of War action games.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

@Sor_Eddie: I think he just doesn't really like character-action games. He doesn't care for Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and (at least the earlier ones) Devil May Cry. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

Who cares? SOTN is what he wants from a castlevania game and LOS is nothing like that. Why does it bother you so much?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You know, Jeff's particular tastes about specific things tend to be odd. I think we should all know this by now. I mean, he doesn't like Red Dead Redemption.

Let his opinion be his opinion, even if there are plenty of people out there (myself included) who do not feel the same about Lords of Shadow.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

I'm in agreement with Jeff on this, then. I prefer Metroidvania to Lords of Shadow.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McGhee

It doesn't look like a Castlevania game. It also looks dumb.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SSully

Because obviously the shit he likes about Castlevania is from sotn. This game isn't like sotn, so he doesn't like it. It's very easy to understand.

Example. One of Half Life 2's biggest complaints is that is has serious pacing issues. I.E. the driving sequences, and many other sequences in the game are just dragged out. In my opinion though that is what makes HL2 such an amazing game. It feels like this huge journey where see encounter so much fucked up shit, that by the end it all adds up to this one great beautiful experience. This pacing, plus many other features, is a big point of contention for many fans of the original HL. I guess the best way to sum this all up is by saying, OPINIONS.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alkaiser

@MooseyMcMan said:

You know, Jeff's particular tastes about specific things tend to be odd. I think we should all know this by now. I mean, he doesn't like Red Dead Redemption.

Let his opinion be his opinion, even if there are plenty of people out there (myself included) who do not feel the same about Lords of Shadow.

I don't like Red Dead Redemption either. Then again, I don't really like open world games, or GTA in general. I don't see why thats so crazy.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I don't like Red Dead Redemption either. Then again, I don't really like open world games, or GTA in general. I don't see why thats so crazy.

Well, the weird part is that Jeff loved GTA IV, but hated RDR.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThePickle

Most of the LoS "hate" is joking. I think it might even be reactionary to people saying that the staff hated the game just because they weren't talking it about much.

The Red Dead thing, however, is a whole other can of fuck you.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alkaiser

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Huh. That is bizarre, unless his opinion of GTA games changed drastically within a couple years.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kishinfoulux

Because Lords of Shadow is bad and SOTN is amazing. Seems simple to me.

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I don't dislike RDR, but don't think it's this amazing game either. I did like GTA IV a bit though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Hunkulese said:
    Who cares? SOTN is what he wants from a castlevania game and LOS is nothing like that. Why does it bother you so much?
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Solh0und

I'm sure this will add more to the answer you're looking for...

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I love open world games, but I'm not fond (so far) of any of the GTA games or Red Dead Redemption.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eskimo

Every Castlevania game since SotN has had certain elements from that game in common, whereas LoS had more in common with God of War than any Castlevania game.

Quit being so obtuse.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

It was Brad's reaction when Vinny was talking about the game during the Bradley May Cry video that bothered me a bit. Felt like he was being a little condescending.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

I'm in agreement with Jeff on this, then. I prefer Metroidvania to Lords of Shadow.

Doesn't mean the latter is bad, though.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

What's up with people getting bothered by staff members that don't like the games they like?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JZ

Because if they liked the games we liked. We'd be in the likeing the same game club.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

What's up with me disliking Fallout 2 for not being good? That's what keeps me up at night personally.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JasonR86

@Sor_Eddie said:

I mean, in both the Quick Look and the most recent Bombcast, he complains that it doesn't have "Castlevania stuff", but a lot of the stuff he lists off is just Metroidvania stuff, things that weren't historically "Castlevania stuff" either. Castlevania doesn't begin and end at the hands of IGA, and it shouldn't either.

This actually seems to be a fairly common thing with CV "fans", actually. It's like... You guys know there were Castlevania games before SotN, right?

He was joking around. The issue he has with the game isn't 'it's not Castlevania'.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By landon

Lords of Shadow just wasn't a very good game.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NegativeCero

It's only reasonable to expect to disagree with some of the staff's opinions on games. That's okay with me. Every once in a while they'll talk about a game on the podcast or whatever that I'm liking. That's cool too.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

Doesn't mean the latter is bad, though.

No, but it does mean that Lords of Shadow isn't what we want Castlevania to be.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeffgoldblum

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Huh. That is bizarre, unless his opinion of GTA games changed drastically within a couple years.

He liked GTA because of the story, which he was able to relate to on a very personal level. Maybe he just couldn't relate to RDR's story.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Klei

@McGhee said:

Ever played the first Castlevania games? I highly doubt it, because Lords of Shadow is exactly what those games were. SoTN introduced a new genre, mimicked by the DS titles which strayed far away from its original roots. Castlevania doesn't equal metroidvania, by the way.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

@Klei said:

@McGhee said:

Ever played the first Castlevania games? I highly doubt it, because Lords of Shadow is exactly what those games were. SoTN introduced a new genre, mimicked by the DS titles which strayed far away from its original roots. Castlevania doesn't equal metroidvania, by the way.

Yep, totally the same thing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@Klei said:

@McGhee said:

As I said before, all Lords of Shadow is is a third-person action game like God of War with some Castlevania-esque art design and character names strewn about. Also, the Metroidvania GBA and DS titles may not play 100% like SOTN, but they still maintain enough of the core concepts and aesthetic to maintain a greater connection to it than your hilarious attempt to connect Lords of Shadow to the first NES game.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nottle

@Sor_Eddie said:

What he referenced in the podcast wasn't SOTN exclusive. You don't die by touching water after a fishman hits you in SOTN.

I think the thing to remember is innovation is fine for series that feel old, but really how many metroidvanias are there that come out? There are like 9 Metroid games, they don't come out all that often, so Castlevania was the next best thing, take that away and now what do have replacing it? A somewhat mediocre character action game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hunkulese

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Alkaiser said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Why is that weird? The two games aren't similar at all except running to letters to start missions.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

I see no problem with that viewpoint. I dislike the Metroid Prime games for the same reason.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JZ

A quote from the black baron in anarchy reigns. "The token ninja is worth a ton, and this token black guy is all about that paper."

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xyzygy

Listening to people talk about this game as if they were expecting Metroidvania makes me cringe. It's completely stupid, why make MORE metroidvania games? They are meant for handhelds, not full featured consoles. LoS is in my list of all time favorites. People don't give it a chance, and it's a shame. It is a really great game with awesome, well, everything.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Klei

@Hailinel said:

@Klei said:

@McGhee said:

As I said before, all Lords of Shadow is is a third-person action game like God of War with some Castlevania-esque art design and character names strewn about. Also, the Metroidvania GBA and DS titles may not play 100% like SOTN, but they still maintain enough of the core concepts and aesthetic to maintain a greater connection to it than your hilarious attempt to connect Lords of Shadow to the first NES game.

What? Hilarious attempt? Look, dude, you have your opinion, and that's fine, and I also have mine. And to me, Lords of Shadow is exactly what the NES version of Castlevania would be in this 3d, modern era. Forest area, making your way to the castle and stuff. But hey, it's cool. At least, I made you laugh, right? You and your hilarity.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GreggD

@Klei said:

@Hailinel said:

@Klei said:

@McGhee said:

What? Hilarious attempt? Look, dude, you have your opinion, and that's fine, and I also have mine. And to me, Lords of Shadow is exactly what the NES version of Castlevania would be in this 3d, modern era. Forest area, making your way to the castle and stuff. But hey, it's cool. At least, I made you laugh, right? You and your hilarity.

It's extremely different, I have to agree with Hailinel.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alkaiser

@xyzygy said:

Listening to people talk about this game as if they were expecting Metroidvania makes me cringe. It's completely stupid, why make MORE metroidvania games? They are meant for handhelds, not full featured consoles. LoS is in my list of all time favorites. People don't give it a chance, and it's a shame. It is a really great game with awesome, well, everything.

I did give it a chance. I didn't like it and felt kinda suckered that I spent $80 on a game I very much didn't enjoy that felt more in common with God of War than its own franchise.

I'm glad you liked it. I'm glad you felt you got your moneys worth. But they totally should make more metroidvania games because I want to buy and play them. Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid are some of my all time favorite games personally, so you can see why I might be partial to that style of gameplay. Both came out on consoles meant to be played on a television, so I don't get that argument either.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SavageDragon

I think it looks cool. Only time will tell.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By me3639

The game is awesome. Jeff doesnt like a lot of games i like, and i dont like a lot of what he likes. Its all good.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#43  Edited By poisonjam7

@xyzygy said:

Listening to people talk about this game as if they were expecting Metroidvania makes me cringe. It's completely stupid, why make MORE metroidvania games? They are meant for handhelds, not full featured consoles.

You haven't played Shadow Complex, have you?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy

@Alkaiser: I do agree that they should make more Metroidvania games though, I just don't think they should do one or the other. It's been a while since Order of Ecclesia... though I do think that's one of the worst Castlevania Metroidvania games.

@PoisonJam7 said:

@xyzygy said:

Listening to people talk about this game as if they were expecting Metroidvania makes me cringe. It's completely stupid, why make MORE metroidvania games? They are meant for handhelds, not full featured consoles.

You haven't played Shadow Complex, have you?

Sorry, what I meant was more Castlevania Metroidvania games. Love Shadow Complex to death, S-Ranked it. Though, like I said above, if they decide to work on LoS2 AND a 2D metroidvania style CV game... then I'm all for that. I just don't think they should focus solely on the Metroidvania style because I love what they did with LoS.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the new 3DS LoS coming out.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Alkaiser

@xyzygy said:

@Alkaiser: I do agree that they should make more Metroidvania games though, I just don't think they should do one or the other. It's been a while since Order of Ecclesia...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm cool with them doing both and trying new things. I just personally didn't enjoy Lords of Shadow at all. Though I am hopeful for the sequel because for some reason it gives me a Blood Omen/Soul Reaver vibe, and I loved those before they went to crap.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By coaxmetal

GUYS I DON'T THIN HE WAS BEING SERIOUS BUT SOTN DOES OWN AND IS BETTER THAN LORDS OF SHADOW WHICH LOOKS OK BUT ALSO LIKE A PRETTY GENERIC ONE OF THOSE GAMES AND ID RATHER PLAY BETTER ONES LIKE BAYONETTA AND ALSO THE NEW DMC THAT GAME WAS PRETTY DOPE

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47  Edited By Raven10

@Hunkulese said:

This. Yea, obviously there are more Castlevania games than SOTN and its followups but many people find those games to be the best. LOS isn't those games, so it isn't what many fans want. It's not like LOS is anything like the NES/SNES games either. That said, it is easily the best 3D Castlevania game. That isn't a big compliment, but let's face it, what Konami was doing before wasn't working.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainCharisma

I love Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. And it was my gateway to playing the Metroidvania style ones. Just felt like I should say something nice about the whole situation.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshthebear

Another LoS thread? Can you not just accept that it's their opinion that it sucks (which it totally does) and move on?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50  Edited By JasonR86

@Colourful_Hippie said:

What's up with people getting bothered by staff members that don't like the games they like?

Poor self-confidence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.