Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Yo dawg, so this game right here is pretty good!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So, I've been looking for something to hold me over till DOA 5 and after trying many games that didn't hold my attention I remembered I had this game. I restarted it and dove in and its really clicking with me this time around so... two questions!

1. What do you guys think about this game?

2. Is any of the DLC worth it and have all of the glitches associated with the DLC's been ironed out?

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By begilerath

I love this game! I dont understand why many people did not like it. Sure is kind of similar to God of War so some critics said it was just a ripoff, but I liked better than GoW. The protagonist is more likeable and relatable than Kratos and the combat system is way more fun. The graphics and art style are awesome, the music is really great and is a lengthy game. The only thing I did not like was that there was a little to much Patrick Stewart thespian-ism. Never played the DLC

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CaptainCody

Just wait till the end.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zella

Yeah it's really great, the dlc isn't worth it in my opinion. It answers some questions but for the price it's just not worth it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By buzz_clik

An excellent game! It has some frustrating pecadillos here and there, but on the whole it's a very solid 4-star experience for me. And goddamn, that game is a looker to boot.

I've only got the 1,000 cheevo points from the main game, so I can't speak to the quality of the DLC. I really do want to peep it sometime, though.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ares42

I actually enjoyed this game quite a lot. It's a simple adventure, but it has some really great moments and it's more than competent at what it's doing.

As for the DLC, STAY AWAY! Probably my biggest DLC regret ever.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By falserelic

Hell Yeah Son! wait until you see the ending. It will have you speechless.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

I wanted to like it but was ultimately not very fond of it, it's been so long that I'd rather not get into the reasons for it again. It's complicated.

1st DLC is pretty good, some collectibles give it some replayability and the puzzles aren't totally dumb either. I liked the part where you ran on water, that was a cool new use of existing skills.

2nd DLC is all one big bossfight tied around some trial and error traversal.

Both DLC use motion comic thingies for their cutscenes. They look alright for what they are, but stick out compared to the good looking cutscenes of the rest of the game. The 2nd DLC does have 1 proper cutscene I believe.

Overall I'd say that if you are really into the game, play the first DLC, then watch the second one on youtube.

Overall tip for the game: you can turn on lifebars and damage numbers on the enemies, I found this made fighting them a more satisfying experience, at least for me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By 49th

Not a big fan. I enjoy the 2D Castlevania games a lot more. I just find the combat system weird, needing to be stationary while blocking is dumb, if you even move the stick at all you will roll. The separate levels are dumb too, don't like the map system, no point in backtracking, just feels broken up and not like Castlevania.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Klei

I think Lords of Shadow is an outstanding game. It has incredible art, visual and audio design. They NAILED Castlevania from the NES. The european folklore with enchanted forests, villages and the grim, gothic castle. I didn't particularly enjoy the gameplay itself, nor the QTE, but as a whole, I loved the game. I can't wait for the sequel.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

Gameplay is pretty dull, and even painful at times, but the aesthetic is really nice.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By spiceninja

I really liked that game a lot. Especially the ending. I'm so glad they're making a sequel since I thought it would never happen.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock

Loved it. It gets even better in the latter half.

I didn't bother with any of the DLC.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By csl316

Awesome game. I played it upon release and got maybe 3 hours in. Then I put it down for over a year.

A couple months ago I finally finished it and thought it was amazing. Excellent gameplay, and just very memorable overall (especially the soundtrack). The whole audio/visual end just felt... I dunno, classy. The part here around 4:45 gives me god damn chills every time I hear it:

Since this whole series is going the tragic angle, there's something about it that just sticks with you. I absolutely love the direction they took and found Gabriel's journey to be very engrossing

As for the DLC, I watched a complete playthrough on Youtube and didn't feel like I missed much. There are some cool story bits, and it's interesting to see Gabriel's progression after the end of the game. Can't find the walkthrough I watched but it's not essential to actually play.

I guess I should point out that Order of Ecclesia was my favorite 2D Castlevania since Symphony of the Night, so I reluctantly jumped into this. Some of the frame rate issues soured my original impression of the game, as well. Also, play it on hard to really get the most out of the combat.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

It took me a long time to get past the beginning of this game, not because it was hard but because I was bored. I'm just not a big fan of third person melee action games. My friend kept insisting I play it though. So I bumped it down to easy and me and my friend ordered some sammiches and wings and traded off the controller over the course of the day until we beat it. I ended up really appreciating the environments in that game, liked the combat more than I expected too, and I thought the story ended up being surprisingly awesome. There were some annoying twists, I didn't like any of the shadow of the colossus fights, and one or two of the puzzles were just irritating, but in terms of my expectations I'd say I was more or less blown away.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Phatmac

It would have been better if it weren't called Catlevania, but yeah it's fine.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By John1912

I enjoyed the game. Not amazing but good. That is until the ending. And Im not even talking about the after credits ending (oddly was kinda intrigued by that). Not like it ruined it or anything was more laughable then anything.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlightConfuse

fun game and the ending is insane so stick with it

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
    1. Prepare for to criticize the hell out of it, possibly in comic form.
    2. I thought it was kinda OK, although certainly not without its problems (those effing Portal references).
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By GunstarRed

I loved the hell out of the game, It looked gorgeous and had probably the best soundtrack of any game released that year. There's a ton of variety all the way up to the final few levels and a hell of a lot of platforming and puzzling outside of the slash, slash, roll combat. It isn't without its problems, but it is a lengthy and challenging game with a pretty great ending.

It also lets you ride rat-dogs, spiders and trolls...any game where you get to ride monsters is awesome.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stryker1121

I liked it quite a bit. The light and dark combat mixed things up very nicely, and the game has some of the most gorgeous art design I've ever seen. Pretty standard stuff story wise, but if you roll with the cheesy Patrick Stewart voiceover it's fine. Not a perfect game, of course. You get a bit spammed with boss fights (personal pet peeve of mine-your mileage may vary) and certain tasks asked of you in later stages feel like padding. Platforming is not all that great either, and the game makes you replay levels if you want to get all the upgrades, another pet peeve of mine, mileage, etc.

Can't speak for the DLC, but the main game despite its niggles is quite fun.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MegaLombax

I thought it was a memorable experience. I loved the combat, juggling with the magic system was fun. Melee combat felt powerful, fun combos to pull off. I especially loved the art style of the game. The only gripe I had with the game was the storytelling. Could've done much better than just relying on a voice actor to tell what happened. Killed part of the immersion for me. Also, the reveal of the main villain got me all confused.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainCharisma

Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. It just hit all the right buttons for me. The first dlc was fun and the second was a pain but I still enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want more of the game. But the first is definitely the better investment. Overall, this game was amazing and I was glad I gave the game a second chance after not really liking the demo.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By huntad

Didn't really care for it. I didn't like the combat, so that was a problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.