Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 20, 1997

Dracula's castle has risen from the mist and the Belmont heir is missing! The open-ended gameplay mixed with RPG mechanics in this installment of Castlevania platformers set the template for later games in the series (coining the term "Metroidvania").

Uninspired Achievements

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kevinski

I love SotN to death, but I can't help but feel that the achievements could've been better. What achievements would you implement into the game, assuming that there weren't really any limits on which tasks they could involve? 

Personally, I feel that sequence-breaking is a large part of games like SotN, so I think that it should be awarded and otherwise encouraged. As such, I'd implement a few achievements that'd serve primarily to get people thinking in the sequence-breaking mindset. 

- Collect the Faerie familiar before getting the Gravity Boots or Leap Stone. 
    - Collect the Holy Glasses before getting the Spike Breaker armor. 
    - Visit the Master Librarian before stepping through the door leading into the Long Library. 

I'd also implement achievements that encouraged aggressive or more inventive approaches to fighting bosses. 

- Defeat five different bosses within thirty seconds of entering their chambers. 
    - Defeat five different bosses without taking any damage from them. 
    - Defeat five different bosses without using spells or sub-weapons.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Well this one was an earlier XBLA release as far as I remember, plus it was made before achievements were even a thing, so I can see why it was a bit messed up.  

But yeah sequence breaking should have been acknowledged on that level, that's what I would have done. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I would have liked an achievement like "Collect every rare drop in the game", or "Have every piece of equipment in your inventory." 

It was a really easy game to Complete. 

BTW, what do you mean by Sequence breaking?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.