Which in the Castlevania series are worth playing?

#1 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

I've been thinking about getting this game for a while now, and maybe some of the others. My question to you guys is, as there is a TON of Castelvania games out there, are there any in particular other than Symphony of the Night that you consider a necessary gaming experience?

#2 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -

The DS and GBA Castlevania games are pretty great. Any that came out before Symphony of the Night are not.

#3 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

Nothing's wrong with the S/NES versions. And the DS games are good.

#4 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

Essentially anything 2D after/including SotN.  Though I think SotN is rather dull compared even to the GBA ones. (Looks better, but the boss fights are so.... uninteresting)

Circle of the Moon is superb. The first and latest (essentially not Portrait of Ruin, that ones a bit tame... Or maybe it's too similar to the first one for me).

The 3D ones aren't quite up to par so skip those.

#5 Edited by Icemael (6364 posts) -
#6 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I would say, Symphony of the Night first, followed by Aria/Dawn of Sorrow.

There are more decent metroidvanias but really, play the few best ones, and you may find you've had enough for sometime.

Order of Ecclesia mixes it up and should be played too.

#7 Edited by Jeust (10858 posts) -

But Order of Ecclesia is harder than any of the other castlevania titles on the ds and gba. 

It will give you some degree of challenge. 

And my favourite one is the circle of the moon. Great game, with better gameplay than the SOTN and while, it has a weaker protagonist, it has a stronger story.  

The first games (Castlevania, Castlevania II, III, IV, castlevania X and the ones on gameboy) are less story driven, and much more plataformers than the latter ones. But for people that like the genre there very good too.

#8 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

All the GBA/DS games besides Harmony of Dissonance are really good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.