Angry Video Game Nerd: Castlevania Part IV

#1 Edited by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

At long last, the final part of the Nerd's Castlevania Retrospective is here.  For part iv, the Nerd talks about Castlevania Bloodlines and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.  It's great to see him finally talk about SOTN which is arguably the best Castlevania game.  As a Castlevania fan, it's great to see him talk about these games when they first game out.  My introduction into the series was Dawn of Sorrow, which is probably my favorite Castlevania game.  Enough of me blabbing, here is the video.  Hope you enjoy it.  :)

To watch parts 1 through 3, click the following links to previous threads I made for the videos.
Part 1 - LINK
Part 2 - LINK
Part 3 - LINK

#2 Posted by MrKart (117 posts) -

Very good conclusion to this little "mini-series." It was actually very heartfelt and invested in. Although, James mentioned that the rest of the Castlevanias would all have to take place in a castle, which is not true at all in Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. It was interesting to see his take on why the linear Castlevanias are better than the Metroidvanias, though--he held up the "Super Castlevania IV > Symphony of the Night" argument quite well. I'm definitely on the other side of that coin, and I think the sheer expansion of SotN was just so much more evocative and mind blowing than Castlevania IV ever was, but his argument is certainly valid.
#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -
@MrKart said:
"  Very good conclusion to this little "mini-series." It was actually very heartfelt and invested in. Although, James mentioned that the rest of the Castlevanias would all have to take place in a castle, which is not true at all in Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. It was interesting to see his take on why the linear Castlevanias are better than the Metroidvanias, though--he held up the "Super Castlevania IV > Symphony of the Night" argument quite well. I'm definitely on the other side of that coin, and I think the sheer expansion of SotN was just so much more evocative and mind blowing than Castlevania IV ever was, but his argument is certainly valid. "
Yeah.  I agree with everything you just said here except I personally like Dawn of Sorrow more then SOTN but then again, I played DoS before SOTN.
#4 Posted by MrKart (117 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @MrKart said:
"  Very good conclusion to this little "mini-series." It was actually very heartfelt and invested in. Although, James mentioned that the rest of the Castlevanias would all have to take place in a castle, which is not true at all in Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. It was interesting to see his take on why the linear Castlevanias are better than the Metroidvanias, though--he held up the "Super Castlevania IV > Symphony of the Night" argument quite well. I'm definitely on the other side of that coin, and I think the sheer expansion of SotN was just so much more evocative and mind blowing than Castlevania IV ever was, but his argument is certainly valid. "
Yeah.  I agree with everything you just said here except I personally like Dawn of Sorrow more then SOTN but then again, I played DoS before SOTN. "

Oh no I definitely agree with you there--Dawn of Sorrow is by far my favorite Castlevania game: it took everything that was great about Symphony of the Night, fine tuned in, slapped a beautiful art style on it and added in a Pokemon-esque element to it. It has been by FAR the most complete game of the series. I was just saying I'd take the style of SotN over Castlevania IV any day. But for me it definitely goes Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Circle of Moon, Castlevania IV, Rondo of Blood (very underrated game), Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia... and then the old NES games, which I first played only a couple of years ago and never really got into.
#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -
@MrKart: True.  I also prefer the Metriodvania style as well, but the "classic" Castlevania games are fun as well.
#6 Posted by Eirikr (1007 posts) -
@MrKart said:
Rondo of Blood (very underrated game)
wat
#7 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I also found Super Castlevania IV to be one of my favorite Castlevanias. As to whether the linear or the Metroid-like gameplay is better, I can see that being debatable as they  feel like different games. I only hope that the "Lords of Shadow" next-gen Castlevania will turn out a great game.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
"I only hope that the "Lords of Shadow" next-gen Castlevania will turn out a great game. "
I hope so to.  Curse of Darkness was a solid game.  If Lords of Shadow was like that but heck of a lot better, it would turn out to be a great game.
#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -
@Eirikr said:
" @MrKart said:
Rondo of Blood (very underrated game)
wat "
Rondo of Blood was a great "classic" Castlevania game.  The remake for PSP is probably my favorite PSP game I own.
#10 Posted by Eirikr (1007 posts) -
@JJOR64: No, I was commenting on Rondo being underrated. It's historically probably the most hyped game in the series, at least up until it was finally released over here on Drac X Chronicles. But I wouldn't say it's overrated because yeah, it's still pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.