What Castlevania Games would you Recommend to Noobs?

#1 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I've never played Castlevania games before in my life but now, after discovering the series through YouTube and gaming websites, I've decided to take interest. The only problem is, I'm not sure where to begin so for those who are familiar with the franchise, can you recommend me three to five games to buy and start playing? I heard Symphony of The Night is good. Very good. Please list them down in bullet points. Thanks!

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

The only Castlevania Ive played and beaten was Symphony of the Night. So, that one.

#3 Posted by Superfriend (1556 posts) -

Yeah, play Symphony of the Night! That game is one of the best games ever, in my opinion. The GBA and DS games are kinda like Symhony, so they´re okay too. 
I would stay away from most of the 3D games, especially the 2 N64 games. They´re not good at all (I´ve played through both though, because my childhood kinda sucked game-wise)

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

dont you mean Newbs  ? (newbie)

Noob is like an internet insult

#5 Posted by Jeust (10655 posts) -
  1. Aria of Sorrow
  2. Dawn of Sorrow
  3. Symphony of the Night
  4. Portrait of Ruin
  5. Order of Ecclesia
  6. Circle of the Moon
  7. Harmony of Dissonance 
#6 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

I am like you and never took an interest till here recently. I just bought Symphony of the Night on Xbox Live and I can't stop playing it. 
So yeah my reccomended list is short and matches what you've already heard.  :)
1. Symphony of the Night

I will have to check out the ones that Jeust posted. 

#7 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Harmony of Dissonance was my favorite of the ones I've played.  Straight forward RPG with exploration elements and an ok story.

For GBA.

#8 Posted by limewizard (192 posts) -

Argh! Stop giving him those daft RPG ones. Give him some of this good stuff: 

• Castlevania 3 (NES)
  • Super Castlevania 4 (SNES)
  • Castlevania Chronicles. (PS1)

Of course, unless you want to track down the original copies, you'll be playing these through an emulator. But it's all good. 
#9 Posted by x_XJules (303 posts) -

Castlevania IV 
Symphony of the Night

#10 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Everyone one that I played was stupid ass hard, so I really dont know.m
#11 Posted by kevinski (456 posts) -
#12 Posted by bartok (2481 posts) -

Wait Portrait of Ruin was hard ? I honestly thought that game was about as easy as Symphony of the Night though Order of Ecclesia is one tough bitch.

#13 Posted by kevinski (456 posts) -
@bartok said:
" Wait Portrait of Ruin was hard ? I honestly thought that game was about as easy as Symphony of the Night though Order of Ecclesia is one tough bitch. "
The final battle can be quite difficult. Furthermore, Hard Mode is a bitch.
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
#15 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

It seems that Symphony of The Night, Super Castlevania IV and some handheld games are the best choices. I'll look into it. Thanks guys, and I was not aware that noobs and newbies are two different things. My bad! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.