What is your favorite Castlevania game?

#1 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Mine personally will either be Circle of the Moon or Aria of Sorrow.

#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Ahh, Circle of the Moon. I never beat the final boss. God, he was a bitch.


Symphony of the Night here, of course. Not just my favorite Castlevania game, though. It's my favorite game, period.
#3 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Ahh, Circle of the Moon. I never beat the final boss. God, he was a bitch.

Symphony of the Night here, of course. Not just my favorite Castlevania game, though. It's my favorite game, period.
"
Sadly, as a Castlevania fan, I have yet to play it.  Strangely enough, I imported the Turbo-Grafix version.  Cost me like $500.  Sold it for $800.  That includes the system itself.
#4 Posted by Mercator (365 posts) -

Dawn of Sorrow

#5 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Godwind said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Ahh, Circle of the Moon. I never beat the final boss. God, he was a bitch.

Symphony of the Night here, of course. Not just my favorite Castlevania game, though. It's my favorite game, period.
"
Sadly, as a Castlevania fan, I have yet to play it.  Strangely enough, I imported the Turbo-Grafix version.  Cost me like $500.  Sold it for $800.  That includes the system itself."
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, do you own a 360 or PSP!?! You can get it on either one of those. If not . . . I could mail you my copy.

No, NEVERMIND. IT'S MINE. Also, the sound is all fucked up.
#6 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Godwind said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Ahh, Circle of the Moon. I never beat the final boss. God, he was a bitch.

Symphony of the Night here, of course. Not just my favorite Castlevania game, though. It's my favorite game, period.
"
Sadly, as a Castlevania fan, I have yet to play it.  Strangely enough, I imported the Turbo-Grafix version.  Cost me like $500.  Sold it for $800.  That includes the system itself."
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, do you own a 360 or PSP!?! You can get it on either one of those. If not . . . I could mail you my copy.

No, NEVERMIND. IT'S MINE. Also, the sound is all fucked up.
"
I'll probably get the playstation version.  The true way the game is to be played.
#7 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow. I really want to get Order of Ecclesia though. I heard it was good!

#8 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

Aria of Sorrow.

#9 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Circle of the Moon was the first game in the series I played, and it may be my favorite, though Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are right up there. Im playing Symphony right now. 

#10 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Castlevania IV, with X just behind. The game on SNES was great, I loved the level design, especially the Mode 7 stuff,  not forgetting the amazing music the game had.

#11 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Circle of the Moon introduced me to the series, so yeah, it's my favorite. Second would have to be Symphony of the Night. In fact, I'm playing through that game now for the first time. Started the game a few weeks ago and play little bits here and there whenever I have the chance.

#12 Posted by Icemael (6271 posts) -

Symphony of the Night. Some badass bosses, and the best soundtrack ever in a game.

#13 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

So Circle of the Moon, Symphony of the Nights and Aria of Sorrow seem to be the most popular ones.

It seems the Castlevania fans hate the Belmont clan.

#14 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Definitely Symphony of the Night.  It was the first of the "Metroidvania"-style Castlevanias, and they haven't beaten it yet.  I think I've played through it about 10 times by now, and it was one of the first XLBA games that I bought when I got my 360.

#15 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Symphony of the Night mainly because the RPG side was done so right and you play as Alucard. Alucard is awesome.

#16 Posted by Oni (2068 posts) -

Aria/Dawn of Sorrow were both pretty awesome. Aria is probably my favourite. I didn't play SotN until I got it on the 360 so it has no nostalgia for me.

#17 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

SotN isn't about nostalgia, it's still the best, biggest, most varied Metroidvania. Aria of Sorrow came close to replicating the awesome, but it's still a far more limited and far shorter game. You did figure out how to go to the reversed castle, yes? Though SotN wins even prior.

Edit: So, yeah, SotN is my favorite also.

#18 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

Symphony of the Night, definitely. Second would be Dawn of Sorrow, followed by Portrait of Ruin. 

#19 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

The only one I have played, Symphony of the Night!

#20 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

The first one and that's the only one i have played...

#21 Posted by ValkyrieGoddess (1922 posts) -

Symphony of the Night. I loved the music and the game play.

#22 Posted by RichardLOlson (1854 posts) -
Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon are the best Castlevania games out there on the market.  I'll have to mention that Castlevania 64 was the shittiest game of all of them.
#23 Edited by Dolphin_Butter (1910 posts) -

Symphony of the Night. The original PlayStation version. I would've said the PSP version was better, but they replaced the iconic voice acting between Richter and Dracula.

#24 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
RichardLOlson said:
"Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon are the best Castlevania games out there on the market.  I'll have to mention that Castlevania 64 was the shittiest game of all of them.
"
What about CV 2?
#25 Posted by ShadowKiller (894 posts) -

Dawn of Sorrow for me (I actually reviewed it a couple of days ago). I'm playing bits and pieces of SotN right now though.

#26 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1910 posts) -
Godwind said:
RichardLOlson said:
"Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon are the best Castlevania games out there on the market.  I'll have to mention that Castlevania 64 was the shittiest game of all of them."
"What about CV 2?"
Castlevania II was just poorly designed. I actually think that some of the things it did were ahead of its time.
#27 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Godwind said:
RichardLOlson said:
"Symphony of the Night and Circle of the Moon are the best Castlevania games out there on the market.  I'll have to mention that Castlevania 64 was the shittiest game of all of them."
"What about CV 2?"
Castlevania II was just poorly designed. I actually think that some of the things it did were ahead of its time."
Things ahead of their time will always fail.
#28 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Favorites :

Castlevania 3 (Japanese version with nicer sound)
Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania 1 (NES version)
Dracula Rondo of Blood (TG16)

don't like the 'Metroid-style' vanias so much.  Of those SOTN is my fav, but I don't madly love the game.

#29 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1910 posts) -
Godwind said:
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Castlevania II was just poorly designed. I actually think that some of the things it did were ahead of its time."
"Things ahead of their time will always fail."
Yeah, the same can said of Zelda II. :)
#30 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

It would probably have to be Dawn of Sorrow for me but, I also love SOTN.

#31 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

I actually enjoyed Castlevania 64. Probably one of very few. :? 

#32 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"SotN isn't about nostalgia, it's still the best, biggest, most varied Metroidvania. Aria of Sorrow came close to replicating the awesome, but it's still a far more limited and far shorter game. You did figure out how to go to the reversed castle, yes? Though SotN wins even prior.Edit: So, yeah, SotN is my favorite also."
To me, Aria captured a lot of the best elements of Symphony and one-upped them.  The castle was really well-designed, and the soul combining and way more varied weapons than in Symphony made the game feel a lot more varied to me.  Plus, I don't see how the length is a complaint - it's a GBA game, and was the perfect length for one.  I absolutely adore Symphony, but Aria, to me, just has a little something extra.

I guess I could see where people are coming from with Dawn (even though the game is not as good as Aria), but Circle?  Seriously, people?  There's a reason that IGA has disowned it!
#33 Posted by zitosilva (1837 posts) -

I'd say SOTN. But every Castlevania that came after it for the handhelds are great games.

#34 Posted by CallMeRotten (230 posts) -

Been a fan since the first on NES but overall my favorite like many is still SOTN.

#35 Posted by idiotic_genius1 (416 posts) -

Circle of the Moon. Game was so hard and so badass.

#36 Posted by Dimsey (943 posts) -

Symphony of the Night, though to be fair aside from Castlevania 64 it's the only one I've played.

#37 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

SotN, but I still drag Circle of the Moon out sometimes when I'm on a trip somewhere.

Moderator
#38 Posted by evoxpisces1 (10 posts) -

Harmony of Dissonance. 
 
The first one I played was Castlevania 64 back when it came out (98 or 99) and I loved it. Then when I got GBA in 2001 I played Circle of the Moon...and hated it!  So turned off by CotM, I stopped playing Castlevanias until one of my friends really turned me onto it again, and I tried Lament of Innonence. Again, hated it. And then another few years went by. Another one of my friends got me to try it again, and I downloaded CV4 on Wii. I thought it was pretty good, not great, but it was fun. So I decided to give it another shot, and got Harmony of Dissonance. LOVED it!!!  It even made me go back to CotM (which I have yet to beat) but I did slightly enjoy that one more than I initally did. Then I got Simon's Quest for my NES, and was hooked (this was only about 2 months ago), and ever since I have been dying to play every Castlevania, even the ones I disliked, giving them another shot. Played Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia (my 2nd favorite), and I just started SotN on PSN, and I am liking it so far, but I think HoD is still my favorite. Sure it's not the most original, and people claim the music sucked (I don't see why), but it's the one that got me into Castlevania, and Simon's Quest really hooked me after that. I plan on playing every Castlevania I can get my hands on, including Lords of Shadow. Yes I do realize I am missing the 2 Sorrow games, I will get to them eventually. So that's where I stand.

#39 Edited by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

SOTN of course. The followups were nice, but did not resemble the "original" enough for my tastes. I do not like the classic style Castlevania games.

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11019 posts) -

This topic is a year old, but whatever. It still works. 
 
I am also in the SotN camp, because I think it was easily the best designed of the Metroid-vanias. I tried Order of Ecclesia and was not a fan. At all. I like Super Castlevania IV too, mostly because it's not quite as brutally punishing as the NES games were while still being stupid hard.

#41 Posted by jakob187 (21508 posts) -

Castlevania III.

#42 Posted by evoxpisces1 (10 posts) -

I realize I already posted in this topic but I just want to say it again: Harmony of Dissonance. And with all the similarities to SotN and the awesomely fast-paced gameplay, why do people hate this game so much? This and Simon's Quest are my favorite. Ecclesia is also very very fun. I am in the process of playing SotN so I will judge that after I finish it. 

#43 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I really dug Order of Ecclesia.
 
Aria of Sorrow was real good too. Didn't care for the sequel as much.

#44 Posted by JCGamer (655 posts) -

Super Castlevania IV, Symphony of the Night, Castlevania III, Rondo of Blood.  I never really got into the GB/DS ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.