Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania

Franchise »

The Castlevania franchises chronicles the ongoing fight against Count Dracula by the Belmont family and their allies. To this day, Dracula continues to pose a threat to the world.

Would you buy a full retail 2-D Castlevania game for xbox360/ps3?

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CharleyTony

I am a huge fan of Castlevania games. Especially the "metroidvania" games like Symphony of the Night.

Those games are the main reason I bought a Nintendo DS, I cant get enough of them. If you remember, last generation of consoles, there was a 3-D Castlevania game that came out for PS2 and it was really bad... And since then, the only place to get my Castlevania fix is on portable systems or as small "retro" downloadable games.

I would love to see a full retain disc release of an new Castlevania game on either xbox 360 or PS3 (it could be Wii too, but right now they are releasing a fighting game on that console).

How about you guys ? Would you pay 50$ for that type of game ? What would you like to see in it ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hmm... I love the Castlevania series. It never seems to get old. They need to stick with 2-D sidescrollers, meaning they'll probably stick with portables.

People seem to pay for graphics. This next generation cares too much about graphics, so people probably wouldn't buy it- regardless of how awesome or lengthy. I sure as hell would.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Yes.  Oh goodness, yes.

Soliduma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Soliduma

I bought Symphony of the Night which I already had like 3 times just because it was Castlevania, so hell yes.

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DorianBlack

I would as would most of us. But would mainstream America want to? Thats the main question and what game makers care most about.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By steevl

I would love a new 2D Castlevania that I could play on the big screen.  It'd have to be chock full of secrets and weird stuff like in Symphony of the Night, of course, and the graphics and animation would have to be superb and look great on an HDTV.  I have a feeling that's why we'll probably never see such a game.

For what it's worth, I actually liked both 3D Castlevania games on the PS2.  They certainly weren't up to par with the others, but I had fun with them.  I put way more time into Curse of Darkness than I think it deserved, actually.  So much levelling up of Innocent Devils...

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By tec3297

Yes, but for a retail disc it would have to be long.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By epic_pets

Depends on the lenght...more than 14 hours

Kermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kermit

YES, but it should offer MUCH content (least 100 hours gaming (without reusing the same tilesets over and over again )  like Baldurs Gate 2 back in the days and it should be more like 2.5 D becuae you can do so much more with it (look at Bionic Commando Rearmed).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I'd buy a new 2D Castlevania game for my 360 regardless of the retail price. I'm a Castlevania nut.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By DarkLegend

Yea, the classic Castlevania are the best, I will buy them on any platform.

Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Valestis

Buy?! Let me think.. YES! I would kill for a retail 2D "metroidvania".

E: And no 2.5D please, I didn't like that so much in Castlevania: DXC.

CallMeRotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CallMeRotten

Hell yes. I've been saying for years if Iga would quit trying to go full 3D and look at other games that have remained 2D but still use high-res sprites and some 3D effects and backgrounds, they could finally make a next-gen Castlevania that doesn't suck. When they remade Rondo of Blood for the PSP I thought he might have started to get the right idea but then he goes and makes a freakin' fighting game.

You're killin' me Iga!

If I could I'd sit the man down and have him play Contra: Shattered Soldier, Guilty Gear, Odin Sphere, and then have him watch footage from Street Fighter IV and King of Fighters XII. There's probably more games that are great examples but I can't think of any others at the moment.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

$50?

I'd get it for $500.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By CharleyTony

completely agree with Call Me Rotten...

simple 2-d game, make it long (over 10 hours), use an engine that uses graphics like the HD streetfighter 2 remake, and most people will pay 60 $ for it and say: "thank you Konami" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By sterbacblu

Absolutely.  It would be the perfect game for the 1999 event which Iga has said would be the biggest event in the timeline.  Alucard is obviously around, and I'm sure Richter could come back thanks to time travel (hey, this is fantasy) and there you go, the two team up for the actual real deal sequel to SotN.  One can dream.

But either way, yes.  Bring it.
    JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJ

Yes. I would. I have many Castlevania games. The only ones I can remember finishing are Castlevania II and Super Castlevania (Castlevania IV)

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Emilio

I would, but I'm sure it would end up on Wii first.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I wouldn't care if it was a Metroid-Vania game or old school Castlevania.  Yes.  Yes.  yes.....

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By whyzenheimer

Someone already mentioned Odin Sphere.  Give me a big fucking castle, maybe with a few portals (paintings, whatever) to stranger worlds, with that kind of quality in the art and I will hand you my wallet.  I may blow you first.

It may be a strange addiction to some, but I don't know that I'll ever tire of that formula.

Kael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Kael

I'd love to buy a new full-price, triple-A 2D Metroidvania for real consoles. Were I in charge of the project, I'd give it top-quality 3D graphics, four-player, drop-in online co-op through the entire game, a sophisticated level generation algorithm for an essentially random world each time you start again, multiple attack buttons for a bit more variety in the combat, and in addition to spells and subweapons, I'd probably go for a four or five main-weapon system where you can power up each weapon for better damage and combos, and maybe throw in a class system (wizard, vampire hunter, etc.) to boot. Oh, there are so many possibilites.

Don't think that a 2D game has to be low-budget and on the hand-helds, PSN or XBLA to sell well; just look at Super Smash Brothers. That proves beyond a doubt there is a huge market. If it's a good game, of course it will sell. I can't wait for IGA to realize that there's certainly more of a market for that than the 3D waggle-fighter, Castlevania Judgement. How did they think that would be a better gamble? They're throwing that money away.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#22  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Absolutely!  I love Castlevania, especially the Metroid style games.  Make it large and entertaining enough, and I'd pay $60 bucks for it.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Endogene
    Emilio said:
    "I would, but I'm sure it would end up on Wii first."
    I expect some of the older castlevania's to drop on VC somewhat before that fighting game comes out.

Also castlevania fans check out Order of Ecclesia on the DS if you not already have,
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zitosilva

Definitely would. But I don't think we should lose all hope on a 3d Castlevania. It hasn't worked yet, but it doesn't mean that it's not possible. (though I'm one of those freaks that actually enjoyed Castlevania 64...).

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

Duh.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Yes. I would do the same for Sonic The Hedgehog as well.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Yes. I know I already said so, but the bump calls for a resound.

HELL YES, I WOULD BUY A PS3 FOR IT.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

So many of you guys keep saying it has to be long...but what if it was 2d HD sprites? like Street fighter 2 HD remix? how good that looked the smooth animation? imagine that but SOTN instead.....The game doesn't have to be long maybe a lil longer then the usual Castlevania romp, but I remand it be HD def background and sprites lots of different weapons with special attacks quite a few spells...ect

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.