Action game play information finally being released

#1 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

This weeks Famitsu looks to have a few pages devoted to Catherine's action game play.  Andrisang gives a quick overview.  Its pretty mich sounds like what we have sussed out, you climb a series of towers with a time limit and there are push puzzles along the way.  Scans of the article should show up soon to see what the new images are.

#2 Posted by pekoe212 (448 posts) -

I'm not crazy about time limits, but those towers look really cool.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

Holy giant fetus, Batman!

#4 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -

Maybe it's because I'm not their target market, but I kinda get more worried about this game everytime more gameplay info is released.

#5 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

That is kind of dissapointing.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19335 posts) -

Unique and interesting. I'm excited to see it in motion.

#7 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

God I hate time limits...

#8 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" Maybe it's because I'm not their target market, but I kinda get more worried about this game everytime more gameplay info is released. "
Why worried?

Also, as much as I'm crap a puzzles and time limit i'm willing to give it a shot, I have a good feelng that this will be a Jak and Daxter moment (If you don't know what that is.. it's throwing my controler and screaming XD) but I got through those games! I will perserver!!
#9 Posted by Redharlow (46 posts) -

I have faith in Atlus when it comes to risque game design. Hopefully it will appeal to some of us.
#10 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

The gameplay outside of the dream sequences sounds more appealing but I'm willing to give it a shot since the rest of the game seems really compelling to me.

#11 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

When I read action, I was expecting combat, but still cool.  

Anyone else surprised by the gore in this screenshot? I don't mean surprised in a bad way, just not what I was expecting. 

#12 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
" When I read action, I was expecting combat, but still cool.  

Anyone else surprised by the gore in this screenshot? I don't mean surprised in a bad way, just not what I was expecting. 
"
Well, it's rated M. So they might as well put gore in.
#13 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

There hasn't been enough sheep in games recently. I'm sold.

#14 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -
Famistu has put the new screen shots online.  I haven't uploaded them here becasue tehy are both watermarked and in pretty poor quality but we have one of a KAWAIII!!! Catherine which is a very new look for her: 

#15 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@DonutFever: Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.

When I scrolled past that screenshot I didn't fully realize what was getting exploded in that screenshot. It does look a bit silly, though. I'm pretty sure people don't blow up Fist of the North Star style when they get impaled by spikes.

@endaround:
HOLY SHIT IS THAT AN ACTUAL DIFFERENT FACIAL EXPRESSION SHE'S MAKING ASIDE FROM SMUG OR SEDUCTIVE

EDIT: haha, are those his eyeballs pictured there falling haunted house style?
#16 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
@Meteora: True. I guess I should have expected this, it is a horror game. I wonder if every death will be just an explosion of flesh or if it gets creative like the deaths in Dead Space.
#17 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

Nightmare part sounds least interesting out of all, but who knows. Those palmtrees(?) though, they didn't look very good.

#18 Posted by ChrisTaran (1607 posts) -

Gameplay is exactly what I thought it would be for the past couple months. All the evidence pointed to it being what it's now confirmed to be.

I'm fine with it.

I'm not coming to this game for the gameplay mechanics, I'm coming to it for the characters and story.

#19 Posted by Jeust (10644 posts) -

Sounds heavily inspired in Persona 3. 

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19335 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" Sounds heavily inspired in Persona 3.  "
How?
#21 Posted by Jeust (10644 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Jeust said:
How? "
The tower and the time limits. I might be reading too much into it, but the tower maybe at least inspired in Tartarus, and the time limits sound like the limits given to explore a given portion of the maze.  

Maybe it wasn't by chance that he appeared in Persona 3 Portable. 
#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19335 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" the time limits sound like the limits given to explore a given portion of the maze. "
That's a hell of a stretch. For the Tartarus relation, though, I guess there are some similarities in the theme, but I don't think the staircase concept in Catherine is directly inspired from it.
#23 Posted by Jeust (10644 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Jeust said:
" the time limits sound like the limits given to explore a given portion of the maze. "
That's a hell of a stretch. For the Tartarus relation, though, I guess there are some similarities in the theme, but I don't think the staircase concept in Catherine is directly inspired from it. "
hum hum let's see how it plays out. 
#24 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Awesome awesome awesome. I'm much more interested in the story and character interaction than I am in the action sequences, but I'm glad it's puzzle-platformer action and not just basic combat.
Also, really loving the art style.

#25 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Jeust said:
How? "
The tower and the time limits. I might be reading too much into it, but the tower maybe at least inspired in Tartarus, and the time limits sound like the limits given to explore a given portion of the maze. 
No offense, but you're reallllly reaching here. You just described every rogue-like in the history of man. Besides, the time limit in Catherine doesn't limit the amount of area you can explore, you explore a different part of the tower which are divided in "stages".

If you're implying the tower in Catherine is Tartarus-- it doesn't look anything like it. Neither the interior or exterior. That'd be a pretty lame callback, TBH.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.