Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Any news on whether Catherine will feature English subtitles?

CountBubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CountBubba

Anybody know if Atlus's Japanese games often come with English subtitles? Anybody in a position to see check one of the earlier Japanese Shin Megami Tensei titles on the PS2 for them? Nothing concrete, but hey, it'd be nice to have some indication that a Japanese import of Catherine would be playable. 

Because seriously, I want to buy it as soon as I possibly can, and PS3 games are region free.  

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

I doubt it (Atlus USA does all the translating, silly), but I wouldn't be surprised if you buy it in a couple weeks after release and someone's already translated most of it (it's smaller then most atlus games, after all)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's not been said if there will be English subtitles or not.  I doubt that there will be any subbing in the Japanese version of the game for two reasons: like Laketown said, Atlus USA does the English localization and it's not been announced that Catherine is going to be released in NA and also because Atlus places much importance in their localization teams, voice actors and all of that translation stuff.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alternate

A full translation job takes time and money.  Not worth it just to boost a few import sales.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @drag: It took 5 months for P4 to get released in NA after its release in Japan.  Not counting Europe 'cause that's always an anomaly.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Afroman269

Doubt it, as much I would like to play this, I think I can tolerate waiting for the english version.

CountBubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CountBubba

Too bad. Ah well, I'm feeling reasonably confident that they'll bring it stateside eventually. Maybe I'll buy myself a cheap DS Fat or something and chew through Devil Survivor and Strange Journey in the meantime - the 3DS itself supposedly has at least three SMT games in development for it, but I guess the should-I-buy-a-ds-now-or-wait-for-3ds conflict is a whole other can of worms.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mutha3
    @Laketown said:
    " I doubt it (Atlus USA does all the translating, silly), but I wouldn't be surprised if you buy it in a couple weeks after release and someone's already translated most of it (it's smaller then most atlus games, after all) "
    The possibility for this is zero, man. Unless you mean, like, a guide. Those translations suck most of the time anyway! 

@FluxWaveZ said:
    " @drag: It took 5 months for P4 to get released in NA after its release in Japan.  Not counting Europe 'cause that's always an anomaly. "
    Keep in mind that Persona 4 is a far, far wordier game then Catherine will probably be. An optimistic release date would be a month or 3 after.

@CountBubba said:
    " Too bad. Ah well, I'm feeling reasonably confident that they'll bring it stateside eventually. Maybe I'll buy myself a cheap DS Fat or something and chew through Devil Survivor and Strange Journey in the meantime - the 3DS itself supposedly has at least three SMT games in development for it, but I guess the should-I-buy-a-ds-now-or-wait-for-3ds conflict is a whole other can of worms. "

Those 3ds games won't be released until probably 2012 and the DS has an amazing library of games, outside of SMT. Go for it, man.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

Atlus localizes their games with English voice acting.  Subtitles aren't an option.  They could always make an exception for Catherine, but I doubt that they will.  Even so, their localization staff is of such quality that an English voice track shoudn't be seen as a bad thing.  Persona 3, 4, and Digital Devil Saga are all evidence of that.

DeltaDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeltaDreamer

does anyone know if there is japanese audio with english subs for the US version?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

@DeltaDreamer said:

does anyone know if there is japanese audio with english subs for the US version?

It's the English Dub. From what I know, there are no plans for Japanese VO as DLC or anything.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SpunkyHePanda
    @DeltaDreamer said:
    There is not.
    darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By darkvare
    @DeltaDreamer:  there isn't any other voice options than just english
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tesla

And you can't turn off subtitles either. Why the fuck do I need subtitles when it's in English? There is no excuse for the lack of that option.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Because of their fucked up audio mixing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Tesla said:

And you can't turn off subtitles either. Why the fuck do I need subtitles when it's in English? There is no excuse for the lack of that option.

Press start. Turn subtitles off.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tesla

Hmmm, that's weird that I missed that. There aren't many things in the options menu. I'll check again when I get home.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tesla

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Tesla said:

Press start. Turn subtitles off.

You are wrong. You have to press R1 to bring up an entirely different options menu that is used only for turning subtitles off. Thanks for almost being helpful though.

sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @Tesla: Funny, when I press start I get the option to turn off subtitles.  I get Pause, Skip Cutscene, and Subtitles Off/On.  And a fourth something that I can't remember...
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Tesla said: 

You are wrong. You have to press R1 to bring up an entirely different options menu that is used only for turning subtitles off. Thanks for almost being helpful though.

No, I believe you're wrong. Perhaps the R1 button works as well, but you press the start button during any Golden Playhouse cutscene to bring a menu where you can turn the subtitles off/on, just like SixtyXCelph mentioned above me.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tesla

@FluxWaveZ: Too bad you didn't mention the fact that you have to press start only during cutscenes. You were too focused on being a smartass. Which is why I said you were almost helpful.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Tesla: Being a smart ass? How? What I said is exactly how you turn the subtitles off. Sorry if I forgot to mention it was just during the cutscenes.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tesla

@FluxWaveZ: The subtitle option toggle is needlessly confusing. I went to the options via the main menu before starting the game, and there was no subtitle option. I paused the game during gameplay, again no subtitle option.

I was on the landing or whatever it's called, and I accidently hit R1 and it brought up a small box in the top right of the screen that finally had the subtitle toggle.

So hey, maybe you weren't trying to be a smartass. My bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.