Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Anyone impressed that this game is actually well...mature?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Its still a heavily anime inspired game so anime tropes make there way into the game left and right but as far as the main center points of  dealing with sex and vincents relationships  I feel the game does a pretty good job.  Obviously Catherine is sexed up  but  honestly she has to be because she has to be a believable seductress.   As far as I know  and I'm on night 4-5?    The game never shows actual nudity nor sex which I honestly applaud because it would have been easy to show boobies and try to come up with some excuse to justify it like so many movies with un needed nudity do. 

Also anyone find the confession booth questions interesting?  Not that I think its a scientific way to do it by a long stretch but its interesting to see what the overall opinons  of these things are from everyone who answered.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nekroskop

Anne May

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

Nudity is never unneeded

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

No, not really. 

I've been cursing at my screen, actually. Yelling "FUCK YOU VINCENT, FUCK YOUUUU", because no sane adult would make those kinds of stupid decisions. I completely wrote off Vincent as a character after the third night. How the hell can he still be nice to the girl who is clearly complicating his life? How can he still be drinking at the same bar after waking up next to Catherine for the third night, with the same routine of going to the bar, for the three nights? If he really doesn't want Catherine, he should just come out and be honest, then tell her to get the fuck out. But no, Vincent is still nice to her and could never stand up and tell the truth. He's portrayed as spineless, excuse-spewing liar and keeps digging his grave with his mouth, in service of the script. Because if he actually takes a stand, and deals with Catherine on the first few days, we would have a very, very, very short game. 

It was around the 6th day, when Vincent asks Katherine about a "Steve" that really rubbed the salt on the wounds for me. It was amazingly dumb how much he digs his own grave in front of Katherine with the dumbest excuses I've heard an "adult" say. I was actually grateful that 6th night at the bar (I think it was the 6th night) when Erica points out "maybe you shouldn't be here drinking at the bar" when Vincent expresses how much he doesn't want to lose Katherine, assuming you go the "moral route". I was shouting, "thank you, Erica, thank you". Any responsible and sane person would change their behavior after they encounter a screw-up. 

And as for the confessional, they can get really hokey and skewed with that shit. Apparently, I got deducted my "good" points for being generous. The question goes: Have you ever been called 'stingy'? So... by saying that I'm generous, I'm bad? Because I'm reckless with money? 

The first confessional question I got really showed me how skewed this "personality test" is. It was the one that asked: Is marriage the beginning or end of life? While I agree with the sentiment that truly treasuring somebody to last a lifetime is truly priceless, that question could not be any more skewed to one direction.

Then there was a question another sheep asked you: Do you answer honestly at the confessional or do you give the answer that sounds 'right'? I said: I answer honestly. And CLEARLY answering honestly is a bad thing, because I got docked my good morality.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No, I'm not since that was what they were saying their goal was since the beginning. And yeah, the game addresses relationships with maturity, but I would have preferred it if they made more of an effort to demonstrate why Vincent's so indecisive when it comes to his relationship issues. How it is in the game, it creates a jarring disconnect between the player's choices and Vincent's reactions and actions. 

And I find the concept of the confession booth questions interesting, but the execution is flawed. From the get-go, several players won't be answering honestly because they want to end up with one girl or the other and the polls are made even more unreliable since they track what players answer during their subsequent playthroughs, which is dumb since most players will go for dishonest answers after their 1st playthrough because they want to see the other endings. 

@ikabubu: Two things: there is no "Good" or "Bad" side in the karma meter. That's not what it evaluates from your decisions at all. Just like Aram said in the Quick Look Ex, it evaluates "Law" and "Chaos" and both polarities are explained in detail by the end of the game. 

Also, I don't think it would be easy for anyone to reject what is literally their dream girl even if they were already in a relationship.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ: Sure, point taken. But consider this: it's colored blue and red, and called "Chaos" and "Order". One leans for Katherine, and the other leans for Catherine. How does one not make a morality association with that? I think everyone subconsciously would. On top of that, I didn't watch the Quicklook EX, but that only means I have to wait for the end of the game to see what the actuality of my decions are representing. 

And to say, that most men would have a hard time rejecting their dream girl if they are already in a relationship, is to give credence to the fact that most men think with their crotches. Which, to an extent, is very true, which is why the stereotype exists. But even a man in that situation should already be aware of his stand and choices. I guess, I'm just really put-off by Vincent as a character. And you are right, his indecisiveness is largely unjustified, at least to me. I probably just wanted to give Vincent, and in effect, the script, and probably, all guys, much more credit than that. So it's just frustrating how large the disconnect is. 

Also, some of the decisions that affect the meter are very poorly worded (or hinted) as to which way they go. Leading to Vincent either saying something I didn't intend, or going the opposite effect. 

I'm still going to finish the game. For me, I want to see how the paranormal stuff pans-out, and I'm invested in the effort of shaping the game to the ending I would want.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I think this game got so much hype because people thought it was going to show boobs.  I think there are a lot of disappointed buyers out there who didn't do their research first.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

No i'm not impressed because i've already played Witcher 2 :)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ikabubu said:

And to say, that most men would have a hard time rejecting their dream girl if they are already in a relationship, is to give credence to the fact that most men think with their crotches. Which, to an extent, is very true, which is why the stereotype exists. But even a man in that situation should already be aware of his stand and choices.

I agree with practically everything you said except for this part. I'm not saying that a man's dream girl necessarily just means that she's super hot. Vincent sees more in Catherine than that (like how she does what she wants and lives a free life, something he wishes he could do). Vincent even tells Orlando "She's my type of girl!" early in the game, so you see that she's exactly Vincent's type. What I'm saying is that the indecisiveness is justified, but not observed enough in the game.

I maintain that if a girl highly appealed to a guy in every way (emotionally, psychologically, physically...), it would be hard for him to just reject that dream girl who turned out to be very interested in him, even if he was in a relationship with a girl who appealed to him less.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Snipzor
    @ikabubu said:
    No, not really.  I've been cursing at my screen, actually. Yelling "FUCK YOU VINCENT, FUCK YOUUUU", because no sane adult would make those kinds of stupid decisions. I completely wrote off Vincent as a character after the third night. How the hell can he still be nice to the girl who is clearly complicating his life?"
    I should honestly ask my Vincent like interest that exact question, as to why he doesn't want to kill me some time (Maybe his girlfriend wants to kill me though, I think I'd be okay with that). Some people just don't like being that confrontational with people, and even if they are they're really bad at it. But that's another story slightly unrelated to this topic. Carry on.
    sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @ikabubu: I think it's definitely handled maturely, but, I agree that I don't think it's written as well as it could be.  Frankly, I wish the game had a more unified story.  My beef is that the "morality" meter doesn't match up with the story.  If I am 100% blue, as in all Katherine, the story doesn't reflect that at all.  Some inner monologue changes, but, that seems to be it.  Granted, I haven't finished my second playthrough for Catherine yet, but, so far, it's just the monologues.  And then he says the same inane thing that doesn't have much bearing on his thoughts.

But yeah, I definitely think it's handled maturely.  I think my favorite part is the Erica aspect, actually, and their handling of that, but that may be because I'm me, haha.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Cornman89

I was very impressed with how they handled Erica.

Other than that, no. Catherine tackles themes that most games don't go near, but the writing isn't good enough to follow those themes through. Still, credit where credit's due.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

It may be flawed, but it's certainly far more mature than many games that claim to be.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mutha3
    @ikabubu said:

No, not really.  I've been cursing at my screen, actually. Yelling "FUCK YOU VINCENT, FUCK YOUUUU", because no sane adult would make those kinds of stupid decisions.

Since when are adults sane? 

He's portrayed as spineless, excuse-spewing liar and keeps digging his grave with his mouth, in service of the script. Because if he actually takes a stand, and deals with Catherine on the first few days, we would have a very, very, very short game. 

I think its ridiculously naive to think people like that not only don't exist, but somehow aren't prevalent at all. I take it you come from a healthy family life, eh? Sounds like you described my old man, right there. Vincent's action are idiotic and self-destructive......but that right there is the entire point.  Because unlike VG characters,  "idiotic and selfdestructive" are extremely common traits in human beings. Its nice to have a videogame with a protagonist that isn't a boyscout.

Sometimes, a character doesn't need to be likable in order to be interesting.

@ikabubu said:

@FluxWaveZ: Sure, point taken. But consider this: it's colored blue and red, and called "Chaos" and "Order". One leans for Katherine, and the other leans for Catherine. How does one not make a morality association with that? I think everyone subconsciously would. On top of that, I didn't watch the Quicklook EX, but that only means I have to wait for the end of the game to see what the actuality of my decions are representing.

Flux is right, its not good and evil at all. Not even a little bit. Its "Societal conformity"(blue) VS "individualism"(Red). 

....But honestly,if you can't figure that out by yourself, its not the fault of the game. They already beat you over the head with it way more than they should. I would have appreciated more subtlety.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mutha3
    @SixtyXCelph said:

@ikabubu: I think it's definitely handled maturely, but, I agree that I don't think it's written as well as it could be.  Frankly, I wish the game had a more unified story.  My beef is that the "morality" meter doesn't match up with the story.  If I am 100% blue, as in all Katherine, the story doesn't reflect that at all.

I think people have been expecting the wrong things from the game here.

Vincent isn't  "you". He isn't supposed to be a player avatar, or wish-fulfillment like 99% of protagonists out there. As much as an idiot as he might be, the fact that he texts Katherine and replies to her affectionately and then turns around and fucks Catherine the next day........Is not inconsistent with his character at all. He's whishy-washy and indecisive. He changes his mind all the time and isn't sure how he feels about a lot of things in his life.

@Cornman89

said:

I was very impressed with how they handled Erica. Other than that, no. Catherine tackles themes that most games don't go near, but the writing isn't good enough to follow those themes through. Still, credit where credit's due.

I don't see what the quality of the writing has to do with that, though? 

For whatever flaws you consider the story to have, how does it take away from the fact that it approaches it themes with a sense of class ?

(HERP DERP BOXART aside!)
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Snipzor
    @Cornman89 said:
    I was very impressed with how they handled Erica. Other than that, no. Catherine tackles themes that most games don't go near, but the writing isn't good enough to follow those themes through. Still, credit where credit's due.
    Hmm? What about Erica? She works at a bar and for some reason the gang is really awkward when it comes to Toby wanting to screw her. Aside from that I dunno what you're going on about ^_^
    sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @mutha3 said:
    I think people have been expecting the wrong things from the game here.

Vincent isn't  "you". He isn't supposed to be a player avatar, or wish-fulfillment like 99% of protagonists out there. As much as idiot as he might be, the fact that he texts Katherine and replies to her affectionately and then turns around and fucks Catherine the next day........Is not inconsistent with his character at all. He's whishy-washy and indecisive. He changes his mind all the time and isn't sure how he feels about a lot of things in his life.

I don't need him to be "me", but I think it's terrible that I'm given choices that are completely ignored.  I would much rather that whole system be removed and just write the story.  Hell, they basically COULD just lift it out from what I can tell.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Snipzor said:
    @Cornman89 said:
    Hmm? What about Erica? She works at a bar and for some reason the gang is really awkward when it comes to Toby wanting to screw her. Aside from that I dunno what you're going on about ^_^
    It's a True Lovers ending spoiler concerning her character.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mutha3
    @SixtyXCelph said:

I don't need him to be "me", but I think it's terrible that I'm given choices that are completely ignored.  I would much rather that whole system be removed and just write the story.  Hell, they basically COULD just lift it out from what I can tell.
    Your choices aren't ignored, though? It affects what he thinks and the text messages you get back, and most importantly of all, it affects how his character arc concludes. The Vincent in the True Lovers ending is an entirely different Vincent than the one in the true freedom ending....due to your choices.

Also, why doesn't stuff like ME get flak for shit like this? Your choiches are about as pointless there! Only difference is that Catherine actually has 8 different, meaningfull ways in which the story can end instead of slight, pointless variations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutha3: Nah, I don't particularly come from any 'idealized' family, but I think I may very well be trying to be make Vincent my idealized version, when he clearly is written for something. I do agree with your point about self-destructive habits of people, and I think my problem is that I'm invested in the decisions way too much. It's not that I don't believe in the existence of irresponsibility among adults. It's that I expected to like Vincent, and I didn't. But I also don't happen to find him interesting, at least initially, because we don't see him in any other context.

Granted, I can be accused of being a hopeless-romantic living to an ideal (and I'm very guilty of that). I think my frustration stems from the problem that I'm vicariously choosing sides through Vincent, when I am clearly not him, and he is clearly not me. However, even though I'm tipping him into one direction, he still seems to set himself up for sabotage, even though he's expressed otherwise. Maybe I missed something, but I never got the the point of his indecisiveness regarding Catherine. As far as I read into it: Catherine is his idealized girl and is complicating his life, and he is indecisive about making things permanent with Katherine but he wouldn't betray her. The way his character developed (and how I perceived him to be), didn't give me a hint that he was in the gray about what he thinks of Catherine or Katherine. It's a dilemma that I want to see through, and is probably what riled me up when his actions didn't exactly go with the way I would hope for. I just can't believe how much I have to suspend my disbelief at some of his excuses and how some characters bought that. To me, I get lost between between the subtlety of "player choice" and the absurdity of how some things play-out. Leaving me scratching my head.

You're right, the character's choices were not what I would personally do, but that's not a flaw of the game. It's a flaw on my part for expecting him to choose like I would. I should just let the plot and script run its course. All I can do is push blocks, see it through, and not invest in the character choices to an unhealthy degree.

I've gone off the rails with this personal hang-up. But the original question is: is the game mature? 

The way it handles adult-themes, yes. The plot and script, I have contentions with that.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mutha3
    I think gamers have been conditioned to think that way, ikabubu. We have too many Sheppards and Charlie Tunokus out there. 

Honestly, I expected this sort of backlash from gamers. Our medium rarely strays from a core handful of character tropes.

@ikabubu said:
    @mutha3: The way it handles adult-themes, yes. The plot and script, I have contentions with that.
    Fair enough. 

To be honest, I have my own problems with the game's narrative myself. Its still a videogame afterall! I just don't think Vincent being a scumbag is one of those issues.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cornman89
    @mutha3 said:
    @Cornman89 said:

I don't see what the quality of the writing has to do with that, though?   For whatever flaws you consider the story to have, how does it take away from the fact that it approaches it themes with a sense of class ? (HERP DERP BOXART aside!)
    I mean that there are elements of the script that undermine what Catherine tries to accomplish, thematically. The game can approach maturity all it wants, but I don't give out points just for effort. Execution matters.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
    @Cornman89 said:

@mutha3 said:

@Cornman89 said:

I don't see what the quality of the writing has to do with that, though?   For whatever flaws you consider the story to have, how does it take away from the fact that it approaches it themes with a sense of class ? (HERP DERP BOXART aside!)
    I mean that there are elements of the script that undermine what Catherine tries to accomplish, thematically. The game can approach maturity all it wants, but I don't give out points just for effort. Execution matters.
    That depends on if we're grading it on its quality or its maturity. Personally, I think the presence of the latter isn't dependent on the former. Catherine doesn't sexualize its female leads in a pandering way and lacks the male empowerment fantasies that usually plagues videogames. It also treats its subject matter with a sufficient amount of respect and care.

but eh, I think we're veering into semantics territory with this argument so lets just agree to disagree. I with you on the bolded, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutha3 said:
    @ikabubu said:
    @mutha3: The way it handles adult-themes, yes. The plot and script, I have contentions with that.
    Fair enough.   To be honest, I have my own problems with the game's narrative myself. Its still a videogame afterall! I just don't think Vincent being a scumbag is one of those issues.  
    Nah, he's not a scumbag, that's too harsh a description. 

You said that this is a "videogame afterall", agreed. And as a game, some correlation between the choices that it lets us do and result have to be made. I think some people may have noticed that a lot of pivotal moments remain unaffected, regardless of which direction you tip Vincent. That had nothing to do with whether he's likeable or not. We have been conditioned that way, but it seems like a long road until we see any effect. I'm on the beginning of the 7th day, and Vincent is still... Vincent. 

Anyway, I'll go finish this game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@sins_of_mosin said:
    I think this game got so much hype because people thought it was going to show boobs.  I think there are a lot of disappointed buyers out there who didn't do their research first.
    Personally, I think that not showing boobs can be far, far more titillating. If you want to look at naked cartoon pussy that badly, the wikipedia got you covered (link not save for work).
    sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @mutha3 said:

Your choices aren't ignored, though? It affects what he thinks and the text messages you get back, and most importantly of all, it affects how his character arc concludes. The Vincent in the True Lovers ending is an entirely different Vincent than the one in the true freedom ending....due to your choices.   Also, why doesn't stuff like ME get flak for shit like this? Your choiches are about as pointless there! Only difference is that Catherine actually has 8 different, meaningfull ways in which the story can end instead of slight, pointless variations.

You're right about the text messages, that part is pretty cool.  But, the endings and inner monologues... they don't change it enough, basically.  When I'm telling Katherine screw off and being mean to her in text messages and then the next cut scene I'm bowing and saying sorry and talking about marrying her... it just doesn't jive.  I understand the context and the whole wishy-washy Vincent, but, it's aggravating as a player. 

And I like Mass Effect better because I have way more fun playing Mass Effect, haha.  Whereas Catherine kind o' hinges entirely on the story.  But aside from my personal preference, the fact that they're much smaller choices you're making makes ME far less irritating because it's a small choice, it shouldn't HAVE a huge impact.  Whereas Catherin is kind of the opposite.  The stories are very different.
    asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By asmo917

@ikabubu: One of the criticisms I've seen from others and you echoed a while ago is that if Vincent really is interested in and committed to saving his relationship with Katherine, he wouldn't be back at the Sheep, drinking too much, or doing other self-destructive things. While I think there are flaws with the game and how the story has played out so far (about to start night 4, so I know I have a lot to learn), this seems to be a strong point to me. We're picking this story of Vince and Kat up at the end-game. Going to the Sheep is clearly a habit from way before "Night 1," and it's human nature to look to the familiar and comfortable in times of great stress. I'm 29, I spent 6 years in a long term relationship, and there's little as stressful as the Big Conversations you have as these things are playing out to one of the two inevitable conclusions. I feel like that part of Vincent is a great bit of writing and scripting.

As to some of the complaints about Vincent professing his love for Kat and repeatedly sleeping with Cat, I think it was mutha3 who pointed out he's a character. I think it's far more common that if, regardless of professed devotion, we take a stressed, confused, late-20s to early 30s male and present him with an idealized, willing, hypersexual companion...you're going to have a lot more people making decisions they very deeply regret later. And just because you regret something doesn't always mean you're not going to do it again for any one of various reasons.

So yeah, I've been pretty happy with the maturity level and look forward to wrapping the game up this week. It's far from perfect, but it has a 3 or 4 star feel from me because I'm pretty invested in the story and how it's being told.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By JasonR86

I think it is sad that a medium that is as established as video games can surprise people by being 'mature'.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Pretty sure they removed her nipples. That's what a friend of mine said. Which sounds very not mature to me. Kinda tired of people thinking that needs to be done in an M rated game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @JasonR86 said:

I think it is sad that a medium that is as established as video games can surprise people by being 'mature'.

Video games is an established medium, not a mature one. 

@MordeaniisChaos said: 

Pretty sure they removed her nipples. That's what a friend of mine said. Which sounds very not mature to me. Kinda tired of people thinking that needs to be done in an M rated game.

What? There's no frontal nudity at all. At no point can you even notice the presence, or lack, of a nipple with the exception of a nightmarish creature, and it's understandable for that.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Daroki

@Cornman89 said:

I'm actually completely on the opposite thought with how they handled Erica. She's the biggest disappointment in the entire story to me because she's almost used as a joke at the end of the game (at least for the full blue ending). Unlike C/Katherine who are supposed to be the embodiment of chaos/order, she actually has a balance which should make her interesting female character in the game, and has an... issue which would sound like the kind of thing that the Persona Team would be chomping at the bit to explore, but they don't. If they handled her with half of the deftness they handled a character like Kanji, she could have been one of the more interesting characters I've ever seen in a video game, instead she's a HUGE wasted opportunity.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JasonR86
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @JasonR86 said:

Video games is an established medium, not a mature one. 
    You know, I've tried to think about this and I've come to a realization; I don't think that makes any sense at all.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Animasta

@Daroki said:

@Cornman89 said:

I'm actually completely on the opposite thought with how they handled Erica. She's the biggest disappointment in the entire story to me because she's almost used as a joke at the end of the game (at least for the full blue ending). Unlike C/Katherine who are supposed to be the embodiment of chaos/order, she actually has a balance which should make her interesting female character in the game, and has an... issue which would sound like the kind of thing that the Persona Team would be chomping at the bit to explore, but they don't. If they handled her with half of the deftness they handled a character like Kanji, she could have been one of the more interesting characters I've ever seen in a video game, instead she's a HUGE wasted opportunity.

I dunno, it's not like she was an integral part of the story (necessarily, this was Vincent's tale after all) and if they really wanted to get deep into her types of issues, it'd probably be better served in the next Persona or something. I also don't think they treated her like a joke, necessarily, because even when Toby said that line at the end she took it with stride so it must not have been that big of a deal anyway, and the rest of her friends treated her with respect (not mentioning it to Toby, etc)

of course, since I am similar, and looking at what the rest of the game industry is, I take what I can get :P

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @JasonR86 said: 
    You know, I've tried to think about this and I've come to a realization; I don't think that makes any sense at all.
    I mean that it's fully recognized as an entertainment medium, but they've only existed for what? 40 years? Film's an established medium that is also mature because they've existed for more than 150 years.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JasonR86
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @JasonR86 said: 
    I mean that it's fully recognized as an entertainment medium, but they've only existed for what? 40 years? Film's an established medium that is also mature because they've existed for more than 150 years.
    That's not even remotely related to the OP man.  That's not the 'mature' I was referring.  It sounds like you just want to be confrontational for confrontations sake.  Why can't we just be buds bud?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @JasonR86 said: 
    That's not even remotely related to the OP man.  That's not the 'mature' I was referring.  It sounds like you just want to be confrontational for confrontations sake.  Why can't we just be buds bud?
    Hey, I'm not trying to argue here. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be that much of a surprise when a game actually turns out to be mature, in the sense that it approaches adult themes in a serious manner, when the medium as a whole isn't mature, in the sense that it's pretty young.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JasonR86
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@JasonR86 said: 

Hey, I'm not trying to argue here. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be that much of a surprise when a game actually turns out to be mature, in the sense that it approaches adult themes in a serious manner, when the medium as a whole isn't mature, in the sense that it's pretty young.
    You can think that way if you want but I unequivocally disagree.  Unequivocally!  I think the relative age of a medium should be irrelevant to the themes represented in that medium.  When do we draw the line when mature themes, or any other theme, are to be expected?  I say that these themes are to be expected because video games as a medium, being so well established, has a huge, varied audience that enjoys just as many varied themes.  Games need to cater to those audiences thus many themes should be expected.  To me, the age of the medium is irrelevant.  But, what is relevant, is the audience for that medium.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @JasonR86: I agree with what you said, but I do think that there's plenty of room for storytelling improvement as, with games, it's not as straightforward compared to movies because of video games' interactive nature. 

So yeah, I guess I do agree with you that it's pretty sad that a story being mature is something of note when it comes to video games. But, like you said, the audience might not want that from games as much as some others do.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By ThePickle

@Hailinel said:

It may be flawed, but it's certainly far more mature than many games that claim to be.

Pretty much this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.