Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine

Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Edited By Paulrus

So it's a spooky version of Q-Bert with a love triangle story? I'm teetering between "interesting" and "lacking" for an opinion. Won't know for sure until I play it for myself.

But I will say this: based on what I've seen, between the demo and the trailer, all I can think of is this song:

Love is over. A mail says so.
    Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Paulrus

So it's a spooky version of Q-Bert with a love triangle story? I'm teetering between "interesting" and "lacking" for an opinion. Won't know for sure until I play it for myself.

But I will say this: based on what I've seen, between the demo and the trailer, all I can think of is this song:

Love is over. A mail says so.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

The gameplay makes sense in the context of the story.  I'm not really sure what everyone else was thinking that this game was going to be.

Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Paulrus
    @Hailinel said:
    " The gameplay makes sense in the context of the story.  I'm not really sure what everyone else was thinking that this game was going to be. "
    True. But a part of me feels that the game may end up being a bit padded with the cellphone, arcade minigame, the good/evil thingy.... guess we'll just have to see how it'll look in the end.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Hailinel said:

" The gameplay makes sense in the context of the story.  I'm not really sure what everyone else was thinking that this game was going to be. "

Really?

C'mon you can't see what everyone wanted? How about something that had a little bit more in common with Silent Hill.

You know more third person survival horror going through these nightmares in more of a conventional way instead of the whole cube puzzle thing...

But of course not keep acting like the angle they took was the obvious way...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Paulrus said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    True. But a part of me feels that the game may end up being a bit padded with the cellphone, arcade minigame, the good/evil thingy.... guess we'll just have to see how it'll look in the end. "
    The cell phone and morality aspects are also important.  How Vincent interacts with Katherine, Catherine, and his friends will presumably have an effect on the story's path and ending.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MiniPato
    @Hailinel said:
    They didn't know what the game was going to be at all. But the last thing they would expect or want from an Atlus game is a block platformer. I think people are worried because they aren't sure if that kind of gameplay can carry a 60 dollar game on a current gen console. I'm hoping the gameplay outside of the nightmare sequences has some kind of detective/mystery gameplay. And I don't mean Persona 4 style where all you do is talk to specific NPCs.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Hailinel said:

Really?  C'mon you can't see what everyone wanted? How about something that had a little bit more in common with Silent Hill. You know more third person survival horror going through these nightmares in more of a conventional way instead of the whole cube puzzle thing...  But of course not keep acting like the angle they took was the obvious way... "
    No, really.  Given what had been teased prior to the release in screenshots and the general nature of games Atlus produces, I don't see how anyone should have expected something along the lines of a survival horror action game.  People are going WTF, I say, didn't you guys look at the screenshots?
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid

Fuck, the world does revolve around me. I watched Fight Club yesterday and lookee here, it's on the internet! 

Every time I do something, no matter how obscure and out of the blue, I find it somewhere else almost immediately. Anyone else get that?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MiniPato
    @Akrid said:
    " Fuck, the world does revolve around me. I watched Fight Club yesterday and lookee here, it's on the internet!  Every time I do something, no matter how obscure and out of the blue, I find it somewhere else almost immediately. Anyone else get that? "
    Fight Club gets referenced on the internet everyday though. If you had watched Fight Club on the same day, maybe.
    Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Paulrus
    @Akrid said:

" Fuck, the world does revolve around me. I watched Fight Club yesterday and lookee here, it's on the internet!  Every time I do something, no matter how obscure and out of the blue, I find it somewhere else almost immediately. Anyone else get that? "

Actually, Fight Club is one of those movies. Everyone has seen it, yet nobody hasn't. Cult film.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    They didn't know what the game was going to be at all. But the last thing they would expect or want from an Atlus game is a block platformer. I think people are worried because they aren't sure if that kind of gameplay can carry a 60 dollar game on a current gen console. I'm hoping the gameplay outside of the nightmare sequences has some kind of detective/mystery gameplay. And I don't mean Persona 4 style where all you do is talk to specific NPCs. "

Why would anyone not want such a game?  And why shouldn't such a game carry a full retail price, given that it's pretty obvious with the story and dialogue sequences that the game isn't just an M-rated Q*Bert?
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGhee

I hope that you can move around the city and talk to people, approaching things at your own speed like in Persona 4.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Hailinel said:

Really?  C'mon you can't see what everyone wanted? How about something that had a little bit more in common with Silent Hill. You know more third person survival horror going through these nightmares in more of a conventional way instead of the whole cube puzzle thing...  But of course not keep acting like the angle they took was the obvious way... "
    No, really.  Given what had been teased prior to the release in screenshots and the general nature of games Atlus produces, I don't see how anyone should have expected something along the lines of a survival horror action game.  People are going WTF, I say, didn't you guys look at the screenshots? "
    Of course I saw the screenshots, I didn't think your entire interaction with nightmare world was going to be just the whole cube puzzle angle and that was going to be the crux of gameplay. And no....I didn't think Atlus' catalog stands out so much that they'd be above a survival horror game. Also where did you get the action part from? I would have been super impressed if they went something along the lines of an adventure game that had you traversing the dark depths with crazy japanese stuff and amazing puzzles. But you're right....the cube thing was obvious, how silly of me...

@Akrid:
    All the fucking time...
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Hailinel:  Also everyone was calling this thing an action-adventure horror game in the previews...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @Doctorchimp:
    Seemed pretty clear to me that there was at least a strong possibility.
    Seemed pretty clear to me that there was at least a strong possibility.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MiniPato
    @Hailinel said:
    " @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    They didn't know what the game was going to be at all. But the last thing they would expect or want from an Atlus game is a block platformer. I think people are worried because they aren't sure if that kind of gameplay can carry a 60 dollar game on a current gen console. I'm hoping the gameplay outside of the nightmare sequences has some kind of detective/mystery gameplay. And I don't mean Persona 4 style where all you do is talk to specific NPCs. "
    Why would anyone not want such a game?  And why shouldn't such a game carry a full retail price, given that it's pretty obvious with the story and dialogue sequences that the game isn't just an M-rated Q*Bert? "
    It's the Mirror's Edge effect. A lot of people doubted that a game revolving completely around running and platforming would be any fun or be worth the full price. And they were right to an extent. Same with Heavy Rain. Let's be honest here, the current generation is full of action based games and RPGs. Games with platforming or puzzles as their main gameplay is going to be received with skepticism. I'm not saying Catherine is going to be terrible, but how can you not understand people's skepticism given the games that dominate the current generation?
    Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Paulrus
    @Hailinel said:

"Why would anyone not want such a game?  And why shouldn't such a game carry a full retail price, given that it's pretty obvious with the story and dialogue sequences that the game isn't just an M-rated Q*Bert? "

Because people will see it just as that: an M rated Q*Bert. Not exactly an easy sell. We see that its well animated and told, but people want a game. The bulk of the actual gameplay, sans for the talking, is that its a block platformer. That may have been worth $60 back in the 80s. Not now: that's something you can get off Wiiware, PSN, or XBLA for five bucks. I'm sure its fun, just not worth a steep price. At least, based on our current evidence, not yet.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Hailinel:  Do you want me to post a picture of Gears of War 2 where Marcus is driving a tank and say Gears 2 isn't a racing game?

Or how about Isaac Clarke in a turret and say Dead Space didn't turn out to be a shooter...

Or do you just want to accept I thought, along with a lot of people, it was just one segment....
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Why would anyone not want such a game?  And why shouldn't such a game carry a full retail price, given that it's pretty obvious with the story and dialogue sequences that the game isn't just an M-rated Q*Bert? "
    It's the Mirror's Edge effect. A lot of people doubted that a game revolving completely around running and platforming would be any fun or be worth the full price. And they were right to an extent. Same with Heavy Rain. Let's be honest here, the current generation is full of action based games and RPGs. Games with platforming or puzzles as their main gameplay is going to be received with skepticism. I'm not saying Catherine is going to be terrible, but how can you not understand people's skepticism given the games that dominate the current generation? "
    I personally didn't play Mirror's Edge, but I did pay $60 for Heavy Rain and didn't feel cheated at all.  The game is a lengthy adventure with a multitude of story branches and endings.  The story just could have been better told.

And given the ridiculous homogenization of gameplay that's occurred as of late (seriously, when was the last time someone released an FPS that didn't play like Call of Duty that wasn't thrashed in reviews), I say more games that go off in directions like Catherine should be made.  I'm not saying the world needs more block-puzzle games, but really, there are a lot of genres that don't get tapped nearly as often as they could or should anymore.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Hailinel:  Do you want me to post a picture of Gears of War 2 where Marcus is driving a tank and say Gears 2 isn't a racing game?  Or how about Isaac Clarke in a turret and say Dead Space didn't turn out to be a shooter...  Or do you just want to accept I thought, along with a lot of people, it was just one segment.... "
    Hey, fine.  You're the one getting defensive over this.  All I said was I didn't understand why people were expecting something else. :P

@Paulrus said:
    " @Hailinel said:

"Why would anyone not want such a game?  And why shouldn't such a game carry a full retail price, given that it's pretty obvious with the story and dialogue sequences that the game isn't just an M-rated Q*Bert? "

Because people will see it just as that: an M rated Q*Bert. Not exactly an easy sell. We see that its well animated and told, but people want a game. The bulk of the actual gameplay, sans for the talking, is that its a block platformer. That may have been worth $60 back in the 80s. Not now: that's something you can get off Wiiware, PSN, or XBLA for five bucks. I'm sure its fun, just not worth a steep price. At least, based on our current evidence, not yet. "

Why isn't that worth $60?  When did we start putting dollar values on specific genres?  FPS games are a dime a dozen these days, so why doesn't the price reflect that?  Why do action games that take four hours to beat cost the same as RPGs that might take someone twenty times as long to complete?  I don't look at the genre and say whether or not it's worth the price.  I look at the actual game.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MiniPato
    @Hailinel said:

" @MiniPato said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    It's the Mirror's Edge effect. A lot of people doubted that a game revolving completely around running and platforming would be any fun or be worth the full price. And they were right to an extent. Same with Heavy Rain. Let's be honest here, the current generation is full of action based games and RPGs. Games with platforming or puzzles as their main gameplay is going to be received with skepticism. I'm not saying Catherine is going to be terrible, but how can you not understand people's skepticism given the games that dominate the current generation? "
    I personally didn't play Mirror's Edge, but I did pay $60 for Heavy Rain and didn't feel cheated at all.  The game is a lengthy adventure with a multitude of story branches and endings.  The story just could have been better told.  And given the ridiculous homogenization of gameplay that's occurred as of late (seriously, when was the last time someone released an FPS that didn't play like Call of Duty that wasn't thrashed in reviews), I say more games that go off in directions like Catherine should be made.  I'm not saying the world needs more block-puzzle games, but really, there are a lot of genres that don't get tapped nearly as often as they could or should anymore. "
    It's the main gameplay people saw and didn't like. "Oh Mirror's Edge is just running. Oh Heavy Rain is just cutscenes with quick time events." I myself enjoyed both and I side with you on the point that too many games are catering to people who crave action. Catherine seems like a breathe of fresh air for both Western and Japanese games. I mean, let's admit it here, even Persona 3/4's JRPG gameplay stuck very very close to the JRPG formula with little tweaks here and there. And the puzzle platforming gameplay is something I haven't experience much lately outside of handheld or flash games. that coupled with a unique story, to say the least, and unique style is something I would definitely play.

A little thing to note that some people might have missed in the quick look is that the text messages you can send actually do change and have different meanings. Everytime Vinny deleted a line of text and his the reply button, a different line of text showed up. So there is variation in the gameplay outside of the platforming.It's not just pressing X (or circle since it's a Japanese demo) all the time to progress to the next level.
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By neoepoch
    @Hailinel: It seems like this is the same situation with the people who were all like, "NBA Jam isn't worth $50". To me I have to ask "Why?" and I often get BS answers. It is the same as the Wii game except with online and in HD. It has the same great gameplay, crazy unlocks, and new modes in order to add something different to the game play, yet people bitch and bitch.

To me Catherine looks awesome. The puzzle-platformer seems fun, and the story looks like it will be pretty deep. Knowing Atlus they make good games, so I'm excited about this one (and an English release). But people will bitch because it isn't what "They want". Look at the achievements, it looks like the story can go many ways, and I'll be looking forward to how I'll play it. To me it will be worth the $60 that I'll shell out.

But you'll always get the people who say it isn't worth it to them. I'd say they're insane, because there are plenty of other games with minimal or rote gameplay that get a pass because of good narrative (like how you pointed out Heavy Rain).

Bah, sorry for the bad writing. I haven't slept in days so I'm a little loopy.
    Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheVideoHustler
    @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" @MiniPato said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @MiniPato said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    I personally didn't play Mirror's Edge, but I did pay $60 for Heavy Rain and didn't feel cheated at all.  The game is a lengthy adventure with a multitude of story branches and endings.  The story just could have been better told.  And given the ridiculous homogenization of gameplay that's occurred as of late (seriously, when was the last time someone released an FPS that didn't play like Call of Duty that wasn't thrashed in reviews), I say more games that go off in directions like Catherine should be made.  I'm not saying the world needs more block-puzzle games, but really, there are a lot of genres that don't get tapped nearly as often as they could or should anymore. "
    It's the main gameplay people saw and didn't like. "Oh Mirror's Edge is just running. Oh Heavy Rain is just cutscenes with quick time events." I myself enjoyed both and I side with you on the point that too many games are catering to people who crave action. Catherine seems like a breathe of fresh air for both Western and Japanese games. I mean, let's admit it here, even Persona 3/4's JRPG gameplay stuck very very close to the JRPG formula with little tweaks here and there. And the puzzle platforming gameplay is something I haven't experience much lately outside of handheld or flash games. that coupled with a unique story, to say the least, and unique style is something I would definitely play.  A little thing to note that some people might have missed in the quick look is that the text messages you can send actually do change and have different meanings. Everytime Vinny deleted a line of text and his the reply button, a different line of text showed up. So there is variation in the gameplay outside of the platforming.It's not just pressing X (or circle since it's a Japanese demo) all the time to progress to the next level. "
    This is one of those games. You know, the kind where you fucking hate playing it, but once you get into the story and cut scene elements it's the best damn thing ever. But you get back to the block platforming aspect and you want to jab yourself in the eye with a fork
    Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Paulrus
    @Hailinel said:

@Paulrus said:

" @Hailinel said:

Because people will see it just as that: an M rated Q*Bert. Not exactly an easy sell. We see that its well animated and told, but people want a game. The bulk of the actual gameplay, sans for the talking, is that its a block platformer. That may have been worth $60 back in the 80s. Not now: that's something you can get off Wiiware, PSN, or XBLA for five bucks. I'm sure its fun, just not worth a steep price. At least, based on our current evidence, not yet. "
    Why isn't that worth $60?  When did we start putting dollar values on specific genres?  FPS games are a dime a dozen these days, so why doesn't the price reflect that?  Why do action games that take four hours to beat cost the same as RPGs that might take someone twenty times as long to complete?  I don't look at the genre and say whether or not it's worth the price.  I look at the actual game. "
    Good point. It may have taken a lot of funding to do the anime we saw in the demo alone. The price will reflect that. But that doesn't mean I want to pay $60 out the gate for something that is, again, M Rated Q*Bert. It's a rare beast, but based on what I've seen so far I'm not willing to shell out that much for it.. The developers will appreciate it, but I'm not currently in a position where I'm willing to pay top dollar for something because of the resources that went into it. I'll still play the game, but it'll be a rental at best. And I've been known to buy a game after renting if I thought it was good.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MiniPato
    @TheVideoHustler said:
    This is one of those games. You know, the kind where you fucking hate playing it, but once you get into the story and cut scene elements it's the best damn thing ever. But you get back to the block platforming aspect and you want to jab yourself in the eye with a fork "
    I don't know, it looks like a fun game that needs some quick wits. I got a little frustrated watching Vinny play because he was letting his combo multiplier drain by taking long ways to climb up. So being able to find quick routes, keep your multiplier going, finding bonus money and lives seems like it would be more fun than frustrating. That coupled with leader support, and what looks like branching paths could prove to be very entertaining. Then again I enjoyed doing speed runs in Mirror's Edge, and that's not for everybody.

And honestly I felt that same way you just mentioned about Persona 3. I don't want to revisit dungeons I want to do social links all week, but if I don't grind I'm going to be fucked. Persona 4 improved on its predecessor's failings somewhat by making it not as daunting to venture into dungeons, but it still ends up being tedious revisiting dungeons to grind. Or just wanting to plow through a dungeon to see the story. Catherine already has the upper hand by not having JRPG gameplay. The levels all seem to have various hazards that change up the levels though. You've got crazy giant Ring lady chasing you with a fork transforming blocks as she stabs them, or a demon baby who does something (couldn't tell based on that end-of-demo trailer.)
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By mutha3

Why are people assuming this will cost 60$ anyways? When was the last time a Atlus game has cost that much?

Anyway, there are adventure game elements as well. And I really don't get why people have issues paying top-dollar for a puzzle-platformer.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

You want it, it wants you, seems like there is an obvious answer in there somewhere.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @mutha3 said:
    " Why are people assuming this will cost 60$ anyways? When was the last time a Atlus game has cost that much? "
    It's their first PS3/360 release. I heavily doubt that they'll price it at a discount. 

Very early on I knew what this game was. If people had just paid attention instead of going "WTF is this!?" in every single Catherine thread that was posted before the demo or had even bothered to read the wiki, they would have known what this game consisted of. It was made obvious from early screen shots and interviews and was basically confirmed in their 4th trailer along with the Famitsu magazine that detailed the gameplay. 

People are disappointed because it's not what they wanted and that's fine, I guess. But I appreciate that the gameplay of the nightmare segments is unique and interesting instead of something that we've already seen several times before. There are people who enjoy puzzle games that are glad the game turned out this way. I had no expectations or wishes to what it should be so I'm indifferent towards what it is; I just know I'll probably enjoy it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @mutha3 said:
    "Anyway, there are adventure game elements as well. And I really don't get why people have issues paying top-dollar for a puzzle-platformer. "
    I think it's just one of the same whiny excuses people use for a lot of games these days.

"Ugh.  Sprite animation?  This should be a download."
    "I'm not paying $60 for roster updates."
    "This game is fucking Q*Bert."
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By benjaebe

Baffles my mind when people look at the game and dismiss it as an M-rated Q*Bert, especially after only seeing a small amount of gameplay inside a demo. Judging from the achievements and the decent amount of coverage surrounding the game, it's going to be some kind of adventure title during the day and puzzle-platforming segments during the night. How you interact with characters, Katherine, Catherine, etc all impact how the story unfolds. This isn't Q*Bert, but I understand it isn't a survival horror title in the vein of Silent Hill either and that puts some people off.

I do get if the gameplay isn't your cup of tea, though, because it is kind of out there. Still, I think it looks awesome and can't wait for announcements for release outside of Japan.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " Why are people assuming this will cost 60$ anyways? When was the last time a Atlus game has cost that much? "
    It's their first PS3/360 release. I heavily doubt that they'll price it at a discount. 
    Atlus JP? Sure. But Atlus US?  This would be just another project for them. I can't imagine them having to spend a significant amount of money to localize it.

It might be a little weird to wrap you're head around it, but the two are entirely separate entities working together. If Atlus JP were to fall, it wouldn't bring down Atlus US with it(well, not directly anyways, I imagine they'd lose a lot of fans). Likewise, if a game does well here, its not really that important for Atlus JP because they only get a small cut of the profits anyways.

3D dot heroes is a good example.
    Paulrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Paulrus

I never really came here to argue. It just sort of... happened. I'm still going to play the game if I get the chance. I've already stated my opinion and I'm not changing my mind, as is the same case for those who defend it. I understand the logic behind not having an opinion on a demo alone. We'll just have to wait for the full version before we criticize and defend; and even then we'll still be having this discussion.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By wrathofconn

If you're going to be playing this game for the story and the character interactions, why would you not want short, tense puzzles between that stuff instead of hours grinding in a boring-ass dungeon (the Persona route), or long sequences of awful third person shooting (the Deadly Premonition route)? Personally, I'm glad it turned out to be what it is, even if I wasn't following little bits of news closely enough to already know. If you're not into the game, you probably should just not buy it; then you won't have to complain about this '$60 puzzle game'.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FateOfNever

So, when I hear people saying that the game play looks like "Q*Bert" I can't help but think of how short people seem to be selling it.  I mean, watching the quick look I just kept thinking of how tense climbing up the tower looked to be and how fast paced it seemed to be and how puzzle-y it seemed to be and then remembering - Vinny was only playing on easy, and that was just the demo, and he wasn't even trying to gold rank the 'stage' or anything.  Now, part of his problems could just be being unfamiliar with the controls, but, still, that was on easy and on a demo and he still died several times.  I still can't help but  think of how fun that could get though, trying to gold rank those stages on normal or even hard difficulty and suddenly I start thinking of stuff like Super Meat Boy.

Except, oh, the game also totally has a large, in depth story surrounding the puzzle climbing levels that has multiple endings and, from the sounds of it, a good bit of interactivity in the story.  Put all of that together with the game play and I think "That sounds totally awesome".  And it looks to have the sound, art, style, and production behind it to make it be a great experience over all. 

So, I guess, is the problem just that the people that were originally interested in Catherine and the people that are interested in challenges/challenge based game play don't overlap as demographics that much?  But to that end, Brad seems like someone that really likes challenge based games and he seemed rather put off from it as an idea as well.  Is it just that people are afraid of trying something different than what they were expecting was a standard survival horror then?  Is it just the initial shock of something being revealed as not what they expected and given more time it'll grow on them some?  Is it that they think block climbing can't be, or just simply isn't, fun - even if they haven't played it themselves?  Can't help but wonder why people are so turned off at the idea of the block climbing action, even if there may never be an answer other than "different opinions".  I just think its a shame to see so many people so eager to dismiss something like this.  Oh well, hopefully it will still turn out well.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MiniPato
    @mutha3 said:
    " Why are people assuming this will cost 60$ anyways? When was the last time a Atlus game has cost that much?  Anyway, there are adventure game elements as well. And I really don't get why people have issues paying top-dollar for a puzzle-platformer. "
    Demon's Souls, although they were just a publisher. When was the last time Atlus, specifically the persona team, made a game on current gen consoles?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @MiniPato said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " Why are people assuming this will cost 60$ anyways? When was the last time a Atlus game has cost that much?  Anyway, there are adventure game elements as well. And I really don't get why people have issues paying top-dollar for a puzzle-platformer. "
    Demon's Souls, although they were just a publisher. When was the last time Atlus, specifically the persona team, made a game on current gen consoles? "
    The Persona team hasn't made an Xbox 360/PS3 game yet (aside from Catherine).  Catherine is essentially their warm-up on both platforms.

Honestly, I expect Atlus to release the game at $60, because that is the generally expected retail price for new games on both of those platforms.  If it's lower than that, then hey, bonus.  But I don't currently see any reason to complain about its speculated $60 price at this point.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

People being disappointed in the gameplay makes me sad.  When was the last time a puzzle game wasn't fun as hell?  And this time you get freaky as hell monsters chasing you, a sweet nightmare world, creepy sheep dudes, a story that seems just amazing... how is this not a great thing?  What part of it seems to not be fun?  I don't understand at all.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By ChrisTaran

Everyone has their tastes. To me this is the best thing coming out this year. If people don't like it, too bad for them. Nothing else this year has me as excited as Catherine. Only possible contender is is Last Guardian make it out in 2011.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.