Catherine breaks its sales target and all who oppose.

• 162 results
#101 Posted by DeathByWaffle (631 posts) -

Glad this is selling well, I'm pretty interested in this game.

#102 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @iAmJohn said:
 I kind of wish I didn't hate Devil Survivor, since I want to see that for myself! "
You're no longer my Intelligent Qube bro

@Laketown said:
" @mutha3:  Persona 4 only took like 6 months though, I think you're overestimating what they're going to have to do :P "
They probably started early on that one. Also, the team they deployed for that was huge.  Catherine probably has atleast as much text and probably more voice work then P4. "
I don't think it has nearly the amount of text of Persona 4, actually; all of the demon names, spells, social link stuff... Voice probably.
#103 Edited by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

" Awesome. I didn't.  I'm still worried, though. Hope that PR guy was bullshitting out of concern for his job!   "

Yeah, it's actually been that way for a while.  I'm pretty sure I heard them talk about that for the first time on the Persona episode of Retronauts they did around the time Persona 4 came out since they had former 1UPer/now lead editor for SMT and related stuff Nich Maragos on. 

I guess if Aram is saying it, it could be legit, but since Atlus USA also never likes to talk about anything they're doing until they think it's a good time to, I also wouldn't be surprised if it's on track for this year and they're just waiting for the right time to announce it and put all their support behind it. 

Also: Dude, Devil Survivor is so ridiculously fucking hard and abusive it's unbelievable.  I still cannot get past the fucking Yeti boss on the first day and I don't even know why! >:|
#104 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

I feel like making a poll asking "Do you think Catherine's going to be released in North America this year?"

#105 Posted by Fallen189 (4977 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @Fallen189:  Your entitled to your opinion that something about this game is 'TERRIBLE" but unless you sit and describe what your speaking of and just just in general I take it as such. How about expressing WHY you think something is terrible. Is that to much to ask?  Also it was nice of you to at least congratulate them. I should have said as such. "
Because the actual gameplay part of the game looks like terrible. I think people are just giving it a free ride because "Hey, it's another crazy game from Atlus, them guys what made Persona 4". 

Until I, and most people, play it, I still think the gameplay looks crap
#106 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @Hailinel said:

" No, the shortest localization time for any Atlus game will undoubtedly be Devil Survivor Overclocked. "

Fuck! And the original Devil Survivor's localization wasn't that good. "
No, it was actually pretty good, minus that one section that accidentally left untranslated.  My guess is that section will be in English this time. "
NO SHUT UP THAT ONE SCREW UP THE PROGRAMMING DEPARTMENT AT ATL- I mean -OUTSOURCED COMPANY MADE COMPLETELY DEVALUES THE WELL WRITTEN DIALOGUE AND THE COHERENT PACE
  "
What about the typos? What about the dumb names (not everything needs Bel jammed awkwardly into their names)? What about the freezing? What about all the names that don't even come close to fitting in their boxes? What about all the other shit that wasn't acceptable in the Tactics Ogre fan translation?
#107 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

"nd put all their support behind it.  Also: Dude, Devil Survivor is so ridiculously fucking hard and abusive it's unbelievable.  I still cannot get past the fucking Yeti boss on the first day and I don't even know why! >:| "

Did you try the strategy I posted for you a loooooonnnng time ago? It ain't that hard , you just gotta have faith mang.

@Fallen189

said:

" @Catolf said:

" @Fallen189:  Your entitled to your opinion that something about this game is 'TERRIBLE" but unless you sit and describe what your speaking of and just just in general I take it as such. How about expressing WHY you think something is terrible. Is that to much to ask?  Also it was nice of you to at least congratulate them. I should have said as such. "

Because the actual gameplay part of the game looks like terrible. I think people are just giving it a free ride because "Hey, it's another crazy game from Atlus, them guys what made Persona 4".  Until I, and most people, play it, I still think the gameplay looks crap "
Cool. This isn't the ideal thread to express that opinion, though.

Here you go:

http://www.giantbomb.com/catherine/61-32367/catherine-demo-impressions/35-478564/

@Video_Game_King

said:

What about the typos?
Both of them? common stuff that happens even  in text-heavy stuff written by localizers like Alexander O. Smith? Or are you gonna tell me he's a bad writer too?

What about the dumb names (not everything needs Bel jammed awkwardly into their names)?

Is 100% true to the original Japanese text. Not the fault of the localizers.

What about the freezing?

Nothing to do with Atlus' localization themselves directly. Can't blame their localization staff for poor decisions by higher ups. 

I also never experienced this nor have I ever heard of anyone experiencing this.

What about all the names that don't even come close to fitting in their boxes?

....? Again, not the writing staff.

What about all the other shit that wasn't acceptable in the Tactics Ogre fan translation? "

no

EDIT: can we also not derail another thread about Devil Survivor, please.
#108 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" @Catolf said:
Because the actual gameplay part of the game looks like terrible. I think people are just giving it a free ride because "Hey, it's another crazy game from Atlus, them guys what made Persona 4".  Until I, and most people, play it, I still think the gameplay looks crap "
Or maybe they're giving it a free ride because: 
  1. Puzzle games are fun.
  2. The kind of puzzle action in Catherine, too, is fun.
  3. Reception to both the demo and the game itself has been incredibly positive, albeit there's a lot of people complaining about the difficulty.
  4. Even if it's not the best game in the world, there's still enough to it that people are more than fine with playing the puzzle game to get to the best parts (i.e., the Deadly Premonition effect).

Saying "it looks terrible" is just stupidly reductionist, not to mention says absolutely nothing about why you don't like this game you haven't played (despite there being a demo).
#109 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @mutha3 said:

" Awesome. I didn't.  I'm still worried, though. Hope that PR guy was bullshitting out of concern for his job!   "

Yeah, it's actually been that way for a while.  I'm pretty sure I heard them talk about that for the first time on the Persona episode of Retronauts they did around the time Persona 4 came out since they had former 1UPer/now lead editor for SMT and related stuff Nich Maragos on.  I guess if Aram is saying it, it could be legit, but since Atlus USA also never likes to talk about anything they're doing until they think it's a good time to, I also wouldn't be surprised if it's on track for this year and they're just waiting for the right time to announce it and put all their support behind it.  Also: Dude, Devil Survivor is so ridiculously fucking hard and abusive it's unbelievable.  I still cannot get past the fucking Yeti boss on the first day and I don't even know why! >:| "
just grind free battles?
#110 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Laketown said:

" @iAmJohn said:  "just grind free battles? "

Don't do this iamjohn you are better then that.

Be a MAN get yo ASS in the fusion room and make a demon I can be proud of>:(
#111 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @mutha3 said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @Hailinel said:

" No, the shortest localization time for any Atlus game will undoubtedly be Devil Survivor Overclocked. "

Fuck! And the original Devil Survivor's localization wasn't that good. "
No, it was actually pretty good, minus that one section that accidentally left untranslated.  My guess is that section will be in English this time. "
NO SHUT UP THAT ONE SCREW UP THE PROGRAMMING DEPARTMENT AT ATL- I mean -OUTSOURCED COMPANY MADE COMPLETELY DEVALUES THE WELL WRITTEN DIALOGUE AND THE COHERENT PACE
  "
What about the typos? What about the dumb names (not everything needs Bel jammed awkwardly into their names)? What about the freezing? What about all the names that don't even come close to fitting in their boxes? What about all the other shit that wasn't acceptable in the Tactics Ogre fan translation? "
Have you never heard of Belzebub or Jezebel?  The names are all taken from mythological/historical sources.  You act as though they were all just made up on the fly.  And as for the names not fitting into the text boxes, that's a fault of the width of the graphics, which were designed for the Japanese names, not the English translations.  And the number of typos wasn't so severe that they couldn't be overlooked.  And I doubt most of the people here know about this Tactics Ogre fan translation you speak of.
#112 Posted by Fallen189 (4977 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @Catolf said:
Or maybe they're giving it a free ride because: 
  1. Puzzle games are fun.
  2. The kind of puzzle action in Catherine, too, is fun.
  3. Reception to both the demo and the game itself has been incredibly positive, albeit there's a lot of people complaining about the difficulty.
  4. Even if it's not the best game in the world, there's still enough to it that people are more than fine with playing the puzzle game to get to the best parts (i.e., the Deadly Premonition effect).

Saying "it looks terrible" is just stupidly reductionist, not to mention says absolutely nothing about why you don't like this game you haven't played (despite there being a demo).
"
Okay, great. I still think it looks rubbish. If you're going to continue to tell me I'm wrong, go for it.
#113 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Hailinel: 

Jezebel's OK, but Belzebub? Beldr? Even if you know the translations, it still sounds like they were pulled out of their asses. It's like Atlus took all the wrong lessons from Digimon.

Exactly. When you're bringing a game over from another country, you're supposed to do shit like that. You're supposed to look for graphics that don't fit and then make them fit during development. Again, I've seen people talk about this shit during the fan translation process; how could any professional company overlook something like this? Same goes for the typos, since if what I imagine the translation process is like is true (my views of the Tear Ring Saga translation lead me to believe that they are), you should be able to spot this shit quite easily.

I was just using Tactics Ogre as an example for a fan translation. It can be kinda glitchy (one intro just refuses to show up, although this was a problem with the actual translation, so I'm not sure how to handle that), but from what I remember, there weren't any typos or names flowing out of boxes or awkward names used to illustrate a theme.
#114 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" Okay, great. I still think it looks rubbish. If you're going to continue to tell me I'm wrong, go for it. "
You said: 

" I think people are just giving it a free ride because "Hey, it's another crazy game from Atlus, them guys what made Persona 4". 

He explained why you're wrong to that point and he's not saying that "your opinion is wrong". You can say whatever pertinent opinion you have on the game, but don't make baseless claims for why other people are excited for it.
#115 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: @Hailinel: 

EDIT: can we also not derail another thread about Devil Survivor, please.

@Fallen189:
@mutha3 said:
@Fallen189 said:

Cool. This isn't the ideal thread to express that opinion, though.

Here you go:

http://www.giantbomb.com/catherine/61-32367/catherine-demo-impressions/35-478564/

#116 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   Jezebel's OK, but Belzebub? Beldr? Even if you know the translations, it still sounds like they were pulled out of their asses. It's like Atlus took all the wrong lessons from Digimon.  Exactly. When you're bringing a game over from another country, you're supposed to do shit like that. You're supposed to look for graphics that don't fit and then make them fit during development. Again, I've seen people talk about this shit during the fan translation process; how could any professional company overlook something like this? Same goes for the typos, since if what I imagine the translation process is like is true (my views of the Tear Ring Saga translation lead me to believe that they are), you should be able to spot this shit quite easily.  I was just using Tactics Ogre as an example for a fan translation. It can be kinda glitchy (one intro just refuses to show up, although this was a problem with the actual translation, so I'm not sure how to handle that), but from what I remember, there weren't any typos or names flowing out of boxes or awkward names used to illustrate a theme. "
1.  No one cares about the Tactics Ogre fan translation, and they should care even less with Let Us Cling Together released.
2.  There is a difference between adapting graphics and straight text localization.  The lengths of the name boxes are not of high importance in this case.
3.  They were not pulled out of their asses.  And anyone that would confuse Belzebub for the name of a Digimon is either naive or an idiot.
#117 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I'm impressed with their budgeting if they consider 150k a success. I mean no disrespect to Catherine, it's just that these days games cost so much to make, aiming for such a comparatively modest number with your flagship product seems odd. But then again, they have to know that it only appeals to a very limited audience.

#118 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Slaker117: And, I don't know about Japan, but they have a tendency to not ship a bunch of copies to retailers in NA and only ship the amount they think will be sold instead. That's why their games can be hard to find sometimes.
#119 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

the japanese are some sick fuckers.

#120 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

:D

#121 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Hailinel: 

1. I was using it to illustrate a point. I could have said Mother 3, but that feels a bit cliché, at this point.
  2. How are they not of high importance? This shit is supposed to be kinda easy for game developers. If you skip over that, it shows how little you give a shit about the final product; it comes off as unprofessional. It's like Plan 9, only with better reviews.
  3. I'll ignore the "pulled out of their asses" thing, since that's going nowhere. Instead, I'll focus on the Digimon comment. Look at all the Digimon in the world. Notice how they all end with "mon." It's kinda stupid, so why would Atlus essentially do the same damn thing with their villains?
#122 Posted by Pepsiman (2465 posts) -

Man, remember when this thread was still about sales figures and why it was pretty neat that a story-driven game beat out Marvel vs. Capcom 3, despite that game seemingly having a larger overall potential fanbase to draw upon for sales? Those were the days, weren't they?

#123 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Slaker117: And, I don't know about Japan, but they have a tendency to not ship a bunch of copies to retailers in NA and only ship the amount they think will be sold instead. That's why their games can be hard to find sometimes. "
This is a great point.  Something a lot of things people don't think about is that overshipping a game to retailers can be absolutely brutal on publishers.  When those copies you promised they'd be able to sell don't sell, you then have to start offering buybacks or discounts to retailers lest you lose their support for other titles (I wouldn't be surprised if this is why you never see any of the Ace Attorney games in Best Buys anymore, and why they didn't carry Ghost Trick).  Atlus ships what they think they can realistically sell to be able to at least break even because they're too small to be able to afford that kind of hit they would take from retailers.
#124 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Pepsiman said:

" Man, remember when this thread was still about sales figures and why it was pretty neat that a story-driven game beat out Marvel vs. Capcom 3, despite that game seemingly having a larger overall potential fanbase to draw upon for sales? Those were the days, weren't they? "

What are you talking about? this thread is about devil survivor. You can tell BECAUSE VIDEOGAMEKING HAS MADE 90% OF THE POSTS HINT HINT

@iAmJohn said:
"This is a great point.  Something a lot of things people don't think about is that overshipping a game to retailers can be absolutely brutal on publishers.  When those copies you promised they'd be able to sell don't sell, you then have to start offering buybacks or discounts to retailers lest you lose their support for other titles (I wouldn't be surprised if this is why you never see any of the Ace Attorney games in Best Buys anymore, and why they didn't carry Ghost Trick).  Atlus ships what they think they can realistically sell to be able to at least break even because they're too small to be able to afford that kind of hit they would take from retailers. "

Its a far more healthy approach then a lot of publisher tend to take. Atlus knows they're small fry, so they plan accordingly.
#125 Posted by Pickingwings (182 posts) -

It's great for Catherine to sell well in Japan and for the persona team to find success in the current generation of consoles. 

As much as I want this game to come over here, I fear that there will be a small audience for this type of game and that Atlus might have to censor this "adult-oriented" game, that this game will have a hard time selling well here or even being able to sell it here.

#126 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -
@Pickingwings said:
" It's great for Catherine to sell well in Japan and for the persona team to find success in the current generation of consoles.   As much as I want this game to come over here, I fear that there will be a small audience for this type of game and that Atlus might have to censor this "adult-oriented" game, that this game will have a hard time selling well here or even being able to sell it here. "
Atlus has had an excellent track record with their localizations as of late.  They haven't done any major censoring or absurd localizing since, I believe, the PS1 era.  Given some of the insane shit that goes on in games like Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga or Persona 3 or any number of other games they've released, the material in Catherine should make it to the U.S. unscathed.
#127 Edited by Pepsiman (2465 posts) -
@Pickingwings: Having played the game to completion, the "sex" that's in there is so tame that most other M-rated games, particularly those produced in the West, that have it gratuitously would make Catherine blush. That's not even a joke. There are no nipples or anything else on screen whatsoever and the very few times sex actually happens, the game cuts away almost immediately and shifts into the next scene. The sex is, for all intents and purposes, implicit. Even the sexts you get from Catherine usually aren't anything more titilating than what you'd find in a swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated. If anything, the game focuses more on the implications that sex has on relationships, rather than the raw, animalistic act itself. If any part of the game is going to be hard to convince retailers to get on board for, it's going to be that. When Atlus says it's a game made for adults, they really, really do mean it; the target audience skews ways higher than a lot of other mainstream stuff on the market just in terms of emotional complexity. 

For perspective's sake, Gal Gun, the on-rails 360 game that Jeff played recently where you basically just shoot girls with the power of love to see their panties, was rated higher in Japan at CERO D than Catherine was at CERO C, with D being closer to a lower-tier M-rated game and C being a high-tier T-rated game at most.

#128 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" @Slaker117: And, I don't know about Japan, but they have a tendency to not ship a bunch of copies to retailers in NA and only ship the amount they think will be sold instead. That's why their games can be hard to find sometimes. "
This is a great point.  Something a lot of things people don't think about is that overshipping a game to retailers can be absolutely brutal on publishers.  When those copies you promised they'd be able to sell don't sell, you then have to start offering buybacks or discounts to retailers lest you lose their support for other titles (I wouldn't be surprised if this is why you never see any of the Ace Attorney games in Best Buys anymore, and why they didn't carry Ghost Trick).  Atlus ships what they think they can realistically sell to be able to at least break even because they're too small to be able to afford that kind of hit they would take from retailers. "
It's interesting to see the differences in the Eastern and Western markets. Here it seems that every game needs to be a hit or it's an abject failure, while Asia is perfectly fine with modest sales. While I usually prefer Western games, I have to admit that they lose a lot of identity because they have to appeal to a larger crowd. Niche audiences allow for more interesting experiments.
#129 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
"While I usually prefer Western games, I have to admit that they lose a lot of identity because they have to appeal to a larger crowd. Niche audiences allow for more interesting experiments. "
Cracked.com did a feature on this with modern shooters a little while back. It is rather pathetic, actually.
#130 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

The numbers between the PS3 and 360 version... Jarring is an understatement.

I bet the devs are pretty happy with themselves (and the influx of MONEY).

#131 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Aus_azn:  I think I've seen the piece you're talking about, and yeah, shooters all look the same. I used to be a really big FPS guy, but these days the only one I have love for is Halo. It's still not the most original game out there, but it has actually has a universe, with fiction, and colors. Not everything is modeled after the real world. Call of Duty is still fun, but you can't get into it the same way.
#132 Posted by Hailinel (24284 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @Slaker117 said:
"While I usually prefer Western games, I have to admit that they lose a lot of identity because they have to appeal to a larger crowd. Niche audiences allow for more interesting experiments. "
Cracked.com did a feature on this with modern shooters a little while back. It is rather pathetic, actually. "
I actually attend the same aikido dojo as one of the artists at Bungie.  The other night, he openly told me that he hates the direction that western game development has taken the industry.  (The irony of his stating this when he works at Bungie was not lost on him, I can assure you.)  He's actually very fond of Japanese games and finds the whole western fascination with "realistic" military shooters disheartening.
#133 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Slaker117: I liked the original Halo; I was left quite unimpressed with its latter two incarnations, where it felt like the story took a back seat to the multiplayer. What annoys me more is that the art of the finely-crafted singleplayer game is next-to gone.

@Hailinel: I agree with him. From CoD to MoH to BFBC to variants like Resistance and KZ, the actual lack of variation is really quite staggering. When people call me a chump for choosing JRPGs or the like over some mainstream game, I just ask them what makes one worth playing over their last game purchase. They're usually left either speechless or mention meager improvements that really don't change anything in the way of core gameplay.
#134 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Aus_azn: No problem liking both JRPGs and mainstream 'dudebro' games.
#135 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: I still buy "dudebro" games every now and again depending on what my friends buy.
#136 Posted by Hector (3357 posts) -
I hope it's in the US by September.
#137 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Hector said:

"

"
The amount of voice acting is quite a bit more than I expected, but I think if they get some veteran voice actors, it won't take so long. They're going to need some veteran ass voice actors for this one.
On the topic of voice actors: If Laura "Rise Kujikawa" Bailey decides to tackle the role of Catherine, I don't even know what I'd do. RISE WHAT ARE YOU DOING NO NO NOOOOO
Also now that I think about it, when they localize it they have to replace the Japanese VA names in the intro with the American ones.. very interesting
#138 Posted by LiquidPrince (15901 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" @Hector said:

"

"
The amount of voice acting is quite a bit more than I expected, but I think if they get some veteran voice actors, it won't take so long. They're going to need some veteran ass voice actors for this one. On the topic of voice actors: If Laura "Rise Kujikawa" Bailey decides to tackle the role of Catherine, I don't even know what I'd do. RISE WHAT ARE YOU DOING NO NO NOOOOO Also now that I think about it, when they localize it they have to replace the Japanese VA names in the intro with the American ones.. very interesting "
They probably won't do that. They'll most likely have the English ones right under the Japanese ones.
#139 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: Hm, that would be fine too.
@Aus_azn said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" They probably won't do that. They'll most likely have the English ones right under the Japanese ones. "
With the size of Blu-Ray capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if we may see dual-voice. No point scrapping all of the seiyuus' good work... "

I didn't even consider that! How freaking great would that be.. the quality of the VA in the native release is great
#140 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" They probably won't do that. They'll most likely have the English ones right under the Japanese ones. "
With the size of Blu-Ray capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if we may see dual-voice. No point scrapping all of the seiyuus' good work...
#141 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" It broke it's target by 10k? Why is that newsworthy? "
If the game does well over seas, it increases the chance of it coming over here in English.
#142 Posted by Mayu_Zane (606 posts) -

Going to send an email to Atlus: "Congratulations on the success of your game 'Catherine'! Hope to see a European or American release."

#143 Edited by Dizzyhippos (1399 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:

" @thehexeditor said:

" @Hector said:

"

"
The amount of voice acting is quite a bit more than I expected, but I think if they get some veteran voice actors, it won't take so long. They're going to need some veteran ass voice actors for this one. On the topic of voice actors: If Laura "Rise Kujikawa" Bailey decides to tackle the role of Catherine, I don't even know what I'd do. RISE WHAT ARE YOU DOING NO NO NOOOOO Also now that I think about it, when they localize it they have to replace the Japanese VA names in the intro with the American ones.. very interesting "
They probably won't do that. They'll most likely have the English ones right under the Japanese ones. "
I am betting on a 6 month turn around for the localization  thats how long atlus has taken in the last little while with there games, devil survivor, and p4 both made if over here in 6 months. if that holds up that puts it in mid august, which is past the 2 'cons they would probably announce it during (e3 and animecon)
#144 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1399 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" It broke it's target by 10k? Why is that newsworthy? "
If the game does well over seas, it increases the chance of it coming over here in English. "
there first HD game and out on xbox not a chance in hell it doesn't come out here in some form Europe might have to import but America will get it for sure
#145 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" the japanese are some sick fuckers. "
And so are Westerner's if you go into that with a 100% of the population in mind. Don't generalize.

@iAmJohn said:
" @mutha3 said:

Also: Dude, Devil Survivor is so ridiculously fucking hard and abusive it's unbelievable.  I still cannot get past the fucking Yeti boss on the first day and I don't even know why! >:| "

The first and second bosses aren't that bad, but i did grind a bit and fuse some pretty good demons. Right now I'm stuck at Beldr I get him close to dying and then he turns me to stone -_- I know it's my fault for not planning ahead but after four times it get's frustrating! XD

@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   Jezebel's OK, but Belzebub? Beldr? Even if you know the translations, it still sounds like they were pulled out of their asses. It's like Atlus took all the wrong lessons from Digimon. 
Those are ACTUAL demons from ACTUAL mythos.. not pulled out of thier asses.. every demon used is either from asia/western/ or indian cultures. Look them up.
#146 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Catolf: 

I'm aware of this; I'm pointing out how stupid it is to jam Bel into all their names to the point where it's hard to recognize them as their original selves. Again, it's like how Digimon ended everything with "mon", only more confusing and played more seriously.
#147 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Catolf:   I'm aware of this; I'm pointing out how stupid it is to jam Bel into all their names to the point where it's hard to recognize them as their original selves. Again, it's like how Digimon ended everything with "mon", only more confusing and played more seriously. "
then it has nothing to do with the game itself and more of where the mythos stemmed from.
#148 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Catolf: 

It has a lot to do with the game; the demons are all competing for the title of Demon King, which happens to be Bel. How do you display this? Through dialogue explaining that they want to be the Demon King? Hell no! Make their names the same, duh!
#149 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Catolf:   It has a lot to do with the game; the demons are all competing for the title of Demon King, which happens to be Bel. How do you display this? Through dialogue explaining that they want to be the Demon King? Hell no! Make their names the same, duh! "
I can't believe I'm participating in this retarted derail, but for the 7000th time....

That has nothing to do with the localization staff. If you take issue with them using bel as a denominator for "demon wanting to fuck shit up" take that with the original writers of the script.
#150 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@mutha3: 

That doesn't exactly make things better. If anything, you just doubled the amount of people I will kill in a terrible fury brought upon by this game. Do you feel good about yourself? Had you left me to my delusions, less people would be hurt by my hatred of this game. You, sir, have committed murder :P.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.