Catherine demo out on JPN PSN

#1 Posted by m1k3 (1333 posts) -

Just a heads up for those interested, the Catherine demo is out on the Japanese PSN. 930MB. 

#2 Posted by Khann (2891 posts) -

Game is garbage.

#3 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -
@Khann said:
" Game is garbage. "
Mind enlightening those of us who don't have access to it?
#4 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@Kowbrainz said:
" @Khann said:
" Game is garbage. "
Mind enlightening those of us who don't have access to it? "
Yeah any feedback would be nice, because if it truly does suck I'd be pretty sad. 
#5 Posted by Twazuk (178 posts) -
@Kowbrainz: It's Japanese, like Final Fantasy XIII. 
Therefore, garbage.
#6 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -
@Twazuk: ah ok, fair enough then.
#7 Posted by m1k3 (1333 posts) -

the gameplay is basically a puzzler where you are climbing a tower while moving blocks around to reach higher places.you have to traverse the tower while a "demon" gets rid of lower blocks after a certain time. you get two of these.  
You start the demo with a puzzle, then you get some anime cutscenes one with an interaction with Katherine and Vincent, then Vincent and two guys at a pizza place. You then get introduced to the "moral choice" feature of the game. another puzzle, then you get the scene with Vincent waking up with Catherine in his bed. Demo ends with a trailer with a mix of gameplay and cutscenes.  

#8 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Downloading right now I have a fifteen minute wait though ;_;

#9 Posted by metalsnakezero (2327 posts) -

MasterLL has gameplay footage up. He'll do a live stream later today I think. 

#10 Posted by SomeJerk (3320 posts) -

Just finished it, my Japanese is very rusty (last studied in the 90's) but this is something I'll import despite the Japanese game prices. Love the puzzle gameplay soooo much despite it's simplicity, appreciate seeing something like that in these days of console gaming, really intrigued by the wicked stuff going on in the story too, can't wait to see how it all plays out.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@metalsnakezero:  That looks like it could get pretty crazy later on, and pretty awesome.
#12 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @metalsnakezero:  That looks like it could get pretty crazy later on, and pretty awesome. "
I just died on the second nightmare.. freaking fork!
#13 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

WHAT!!

Rushing to dl it right now.

Jeff and Vinny should do a Quick Look.

#14 Posted by Master_Funk (739 posts) -

Seems ok I guess . 

A bit bummed that this probably delayed persona 5 by at least a year

#15 Posted by metalsnakezero (2327 posts) -
@Grissefar:  I agree or at least try it out.
#16 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@somejerk said:
" Just finished it, my Japanese is very rusty (last studied in the 90's) but this is something I'll import despite the Japanese game prices. Love the puzzle gameplay soooo much despite it's simplicity, appreciate seeing something like that in these days of console gaming, really intrigued by the wicked stuff going on in the story too, can't wait to see how it all plays out. "
Dude, I guarantee you they're going to bring it out in America, just wait.
#17 Posted by Mcfart (1667 posts) -
@Grissefar said:
" WHAT!!  Rushing to dl it right now.  Jeff and Vinny should do a Quick Look. "
.........................................how? Will they each give their opinion on the translation, then do rock/paper/scissors for the wining choice?
#18 Posted by SomeJerk (3320 posts) -
Btw it is out on Japanese XBL too, but only for Gold customers until Feb 3rd ¨<

@Kyle said:
" @somejerk said:
" Just finished it, my Japanese is very rusty (last studied in the 90's) but this is something I'll import despite the Japanese game prices. Love the puzzle gameplay soooo much despite it's simplicity, appreciate seeing something like that in these days of console gaming, really intrigued by the wicked stuff going on in the story too, can't wait to see how it all plays out. "
Dude, I guarantee you they're going to bring it out in America, just wait. "
I'm worried they won't :( be praying be praying
#19 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Mcfart said:
" @Grissefar said:
" WHAT!!  Rushing to dl it right now.  Jeff and Vinny should do a Quick Look. "
.........................................how? Will they each give their opinion on the translation, then do rock/paper/scissors for the wining choice? "
they could just do the puzzle parts, you can skip cut scenes though I did kinda understand what was going on from other translations done on the trailers. The puzzle parts explain themselves XD
#20 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@m1k3 said:
"Catherine demo is out on the Japanese PSN."
I do not understand how some of you have access to the Japanese PSN. Care to explain, anyone?
#21 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" @m1k3 said:
I do not understand how some of you have access to the Japanese PSN. Care to explain, anyone? "
Or Japanese XBLA for that matter...
#22 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4978 posts) -

I played it.

I liked it.

That is all.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @iDarktread said:
" @m1k3 said:
I do not understand how some of you have access to the Japanese PSN. Care to explain, anyone? "
Or Japanese XBLA for that matter... "
well I created a japanese XBLA account, obviously.
#24 Posted by obcdexter (623 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" @m1k3 said:

You just need a spare eMail address to register a new PSN account. While doing so just fill out the info with a fake Japanese adress.
My alter ego lives in a Burger King in Kobe.
#25 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -
@Laketown: 
I'm an idiot, could you guide me towards the right direction? I mean, is it linked to my current Xbox Profile, or I just create a brand new one...?
#26 Posted by Bocam (3787 posts) -
@CrazyChris: You create a brand new profile and link it to a Japanese Address. Though the demo is only for Japanese gold members and you need a Japanese credit card
#27 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -
@Bocam: 
Haha, alright guess that means I'll wait then. :)
#28 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" @m1k3 said:
it's rather easy, just make a new profile/account and register yourself in Japan, you can find a step by step on youtube which is what I did. And you really don't need a spare email, I made up one and it was still accepted.
#29 Posted by Aronman789 (2687 posts) -

Even if the game is shit, there should still be an Endurance Run. 
And also because I said the cursed words, there most likely won't be one.

#30 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
" Even if the game is shit,
Its not, though.

And there won't be an endurance run for Catherine. They have already said this.
#31 Posted by Aronman789 (2687 posts) -
@mutha3: I was pretty much saying it would be cool to have one even if it turned out bad, not that it WAS bad, since I can't come to that conclusion without playing it myself. 

And the point of saying there should be was to stop there from being one, since they never do it when people tell them.  
And while that might not make any sense considering I want there to be one, I've gotten used to my posts not making sense.
#32 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

Jeff has already said that Giantbomb is not in the business of spoiling Atlus' games. There will likely never be an endurance run of any Atlus game in the future.

#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@Aronman789: Jeff had a very serious tone when he said that they'll never do an Endurance Run of an Atlus game ever again. Take of that what you will.
#34 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Gotta fire up the Japanese PSN account, then. Thanks for the heads-up.

#35 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:

" @mutha3:   And the point of saying there should be was to stop there from being one, since they never do it when people tell them.  And while that might not make any sense considering I want there to be one, I've gotten used to my posts not making sense. "

They explicitly said they weren't doing a Catherine ER.

Demo Impressions: The gameplay is really fucking sweet. Very fast-paced action and it somehow controls really well.
#36 Edited by supermike6 (3593 posts) -
@iDarktread said:

" @m1k3 said:

It's reeeeally easy. Literally just google it and you'll find a bunch of guides. I got one about two weeks ago and it took me about fifteen minutes.
#37 Posted by Tearhead (2186 posts) -

Gotta download this when I get home! Thanks for the heads up!

#38 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Just finished the demo! I really liked it. The sequence in the diner with the text messages and the karma meter seemed really intersting (though I have no idea what was going on, of course). Super excited to play this game. 

Even though they haven't announced a North American release, I can't imagine they won't- the Persona team's last game was the best selling SMT game of all time, they developed a 360 version and let's be honest, you don't waste time making a 360 version for a game that's not leaving Japan, and hey- it's Atlus; It's kind of what they do, right? You can tell there's enough interest in the game to localize it.

#39 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Finished the demo. Wow.

Exceeded my expectations, that's for sure! Its one of the prettiest games I've seen.

#40 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
" Even if the game is shit, there should still be an Endurance Run. And also because I said the cursed words, there most likely won't be one. "
You've ruined this for all of us. Way to go.
#41 Posted by supermike6 (3593 posts) -

I just played it. It's really interesting; I could piece together bits of what was being said from my limited knowledge of my Japanese, but I didn't know quite what was going on. All the different styles made the cut-scenes very visually appealing and it makes me pumped not only for this game, but for Persona 5 as well.

#42 Posted by DallasTheGamer (154 posts) -

I played the demo a while ago and I wasn't expecting much but now I'm looking forward to it.  Great looking cutscenes, fun gameplay, interesting cast of characters (eventhough I had no idea what they were talking about.)

#43 Posted by goudaj (76 posts) -

I cann't believe it's running on Gamebryo, nobody had their head stuck in the roof or anything!

Anyway yeah, I liked the demo a lot. I plan on importing the US version when Atlus USA gets around to it.

#44 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" Finished the demo. Wow.  Exceeded my expectations, that's for sure! Its one of the prettiest games I've seen. "
it moves really really well, and the in game bar stuff was fantastic looking. The gameplay is alot more harrowing than I was expecting, I can see it getting really really hard quickly D: fucking fork lady took 4-5 tries.

ALSO when you get to the last door Hallelujah plays which I found super hilarious
#45 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @mutha3 said:
" Finished the demo. Wow.  Exceeded my expectations, that's for sure! Its one of the prettiest games I've seen. "
it moves really really well, and the in game bar stuff was fantastic looking. The gameplay is alot more harrowing than I was expecting, I can see it getting really really hard quickly D: fucking fork lady took 4-5 tries.  ALSO when you get to the last door Hallelujah plays which I found super hilarious "
Your not the only one, she got me about three times. The Hallelujah at the end seemed deserved after what you went through XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.