Catherine Ending/Spoiler Discussion

• 60 results
#1 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

So now that the game is out in America and there should be some people that have finished it. Let's talk about the different endings, Day 8 and 9, Eric, Catherine's Dad and Thomas Mutton.

I personally thought the best ending was Cattherine's True Ending. Though Vincent turning into a Demon was pretty out of left field.

#2 Posted by katelyngadd (67 posts) -

I like how the True Ending changes the way you interpret a bunch of the conversations with Erica earlier in the game. They actually drop a ton of hints throughout the whole thing I hadn't caught on to. I haven't seen any of the other endings yet, but I'm looking forward to them.

#3 Posted by ErinIsADrunk (159 posts) -

I ended up getting True Lover Ending. I am pretty satisfied with it. I like the endings where things are nicely tied up with a pretty little bow at the end of it. Still feel like a couple of questions weren't really answered with my ending. The big one being who Jonny was pining for throughout the game. I'm assuming it is Katherine since it couldn't be Erica and it wouldn't make a lot of sense for it to be Orlando's girl. From what I've been told that question is resolved in the True Freedom Ending, but I don't have the patience or the desire to go through the game again. At least not right now.

#4 Posted by Marokai (2805 posts) -

I ended up with the True Lovers ending myself, and it was pretty good, though I still feel like playing hard right on the morality scale probably doesn't fit the way Vincent is portrayed in the story very well. In the cutscene (in a dream) before Catherine flips out and attacks Katherine and Vincent with a knife, Katherine ends up walking in with Catherine in the apartment, demanding an explanation from Vincent, while he just sits here and says almost nothing. I was just screaming at the TV the entire time, "Oh my fucking GOD would you please just tell her you're not into Catherine already! You already said you were planning to do that anyway!!" 

I intend to go back through playing to the hard left of the meter, but may not do that right away. I enjoyed the game immensely, puzzles and all.

#5 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

I wounded up with Catherines Ending and Vincent became a demon and live with her in her realm. Good stuff, Im glad it went that way. Katherine kind of bugged me, lol.
#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

I got the True Lovers ending and I'm very satisfied with it. Everybody's happy and reconciled, including Orlando with his ex-wife and I'm even happier that I got that ending simply by answering all of the questions in the game honestly. I thought for sure answering "No" to "Would you risk your life to get the one you love back?" during Imperio would have messed up my chances of getting an entirely happy ending, but it did not. 

I like how the bad guy isn't portrayed as an evil dude (much like P3 and P4). It was also fun learning that Erica was once, literally, one of the guys.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

After achieving the True Lovers ending I started to make my way through the game again to get the True Cheater ending..That ending....Was kind of incredible, if completely silly.

#8 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

There are only two endings left I need to get normal and true lovers endings.  
The order I got them in were bad lovers, bad cheater, true freedom, true cheater, normal cheater and normal freedom

#9 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -

I almost regret clicking on this thread. Fuck me.

Anyways I got the Start A New Life Ending. It turned out exactly how I wanted and expected it too based on my own answers. I sort of don't want to play it any other way now! 

@FluxWaveZ: What? Did they explicity say Erica was a male and had a sex change? I was assuming that when Toby said "They used to call you Eric in school," he meant that she was more of a tomboy back in the day and Eric was her nickname.

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -
@AURON570: Check this thread out. Yes, she was once a man.
#11 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@AURON570: Check this thread out. Yes, she was once a man.

main evidence: in the instruction booklet, she's listed as Eric Anderson (Erica) which is kind of way too spoilery to be put in the instruction booklet, but whatevs

#12 Posted by AURON570 (1672 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Hmm alright then. I guess it's sort of funny, but I still think Toby and Erica make a great couple.
#13 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Just saw this in the NeoGAF thread and thought I'd share it here: on Day 2 after the nightmares, Catherine freaks out and says that she has a dentist appointment. Steve Delhomme was a dentist. 

@AURON570 said: 
@FluxWaveZ: Hmm alright then. I guess it's sort of funny, but I still think Toby and Erica make a great couple.
Of course they do.
#14 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

The story continues in Babel, if you unlock Axis Mundi you learn the real identity of Trisha.

She is really Ishtar, the goddess of fertility, and the entire game has been a test to find a new lover, namely you the player.

It also turns out that she was Astaroth and that the nightmares were also her doing and never had anything to do with the prosperity of humanity.

I have no idea what happens when you beat Axis Mundi because it is fucking impossible, I'm working on getting through Babel though right now so hopefully I'll beat it eventually.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I can't even get past fuckin altar :( I get up to like 120 and then it all falls apart

#16 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Laketown said:

I can't even get past fuckin altar :( I get up to like 120 and then it all falls apart

You don't have to beat any of the towers to see the scene, all you need to do is unlock Axis Mundi and then play it.

Also yeah, Babel is fucking impossible. I managed to get through Altar by beating my head against it for about two hours but that's it so far.

#17 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

My ending was the complete opposite of what I wanted. Very disappointed with how it played out. I stayed true to Katherine for the entire game and somehow ended up with the Bad Cheater ending.

#18 Edited by Bocam (3670 posts) -
#19 Posted by Juno500 (382 posts) -

So what are the criteria for the endings? Is it basically just all about where your Karma meter is? How do the freedom endings work out?

I've unlocked four of them so far, the True and Normal Cheater endings, and the True and Bad Lover endings.

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -
@Juno500 said:
So what are the criteria for the endings? Is it basically just all about where your Karma meter is? How do the freedom endings work out?   I've unlocked four of them so far, the True and Normal Cheater endings, and the True and Bad Lover endings.
http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Endings
#21 Posted by Juno500 (382 posts) -

Thank you.

#22 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1255 posts) -

I got the True Lover's ending. I was pretty happy with it overall. Although I just read that ending wiki and now I want to gold each stage to pass them quickly.

#23 Posted by ErinIsADrunk (159 posts) -

Alright despite saying I wouldn't touch the game for a while, I cracked and got the True Catherine Ending. Glad I did. That whole ending is hilarious from start to end definitely has piqued my interest to see what I am missing with the other endings. Shouldn't take too long now that I've got Gold on almost every level and only really have to play through the game one more time to get the one ending scenario I am missing.

#24 Edited by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Vincent got hit by a car. "Bad cheater" apparently means "Faithful to Katherine."

EDIT: Okay, apparently it's the questions at the end that mainly make the decision. Good stuff. Really glad it was translated like that and that the karma didn't matter nearly as much as 3 questions.

Fucking video games.

#25 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

My ending was the complete opposite of what I wanted. Very disappointed with how it played out. I stayed true to Katherine for the entire game and somehow ended up with the Bad Cheater ending.

Wow nate...EXACTLY what happened to me.
#26 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

So I did the True Cheater and Normal Cheater endings today and I've got a question: what the heck's wrong with Mutton's voice in those endings? Video for reference: 

Also, in the 3 screenshots during the credits of the True Cheater ending shown in the video above, what do they imply Vincent's actually doing? Like, going on a quest to become the ruler of the demon dimension?
#27 Posted by sandal_hat (97 posts) -

I got the Whatever, Buddy ending which is the most wishey washey, fart in the wind, fucking ending I have ever seen in a video game... Other than that it was pretty good.

#28 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

I got the True Lover ending with Katherine, which I decided to aim for from the beginning. I thought it was pretty cute and worked out nicely, but I still feel like Katherine's not all that likeable.

I watched all of the other endings this afternoon on Youtube and decided that I like the True Freedom ending the best and given Vincent's romantic choices, I feel like it's the most reasonable. Though I'm sure others may disagree.

The most fun ending is definitely True Cheater with Catherine -- the whole thing's just completely ridiculous and quite amusing.

I should really replay and get the trophies, but I think I may just move on and play something else -- do more with this game later.

#29 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6185 posts) -
@Cathryn said:

I got the True Lover ending with Katherine, which I decided to aim for from the beginning. I thought it was pretty cute and worked out nicely, but I still feel like Katherine's not all that likeable.

I watched all of the other endings this afternoon on Youtube and decided that I like the True Freedom ending the best and given Vincent's romantic choices, I feel like it's the most reasonable. Though I'm sure others may disagree.

The most fun ending is definitely True Cheater with Catherine -- the whole thing's just completely ridiculous and quite amusing.

I should really replay and get the trophies, but I think I may just move on and play something else -- do more with this game later.

O HAI DAD.
#30 Posted by SixtyXCelph (211 posts) -
After getting the last two endings this morning, definitely prefer the True Cheater ending.  Quite amusing.  Now I need to hit YouTube and find the videos related to the Babel tower, 'cause I'm not even gonna touch that thing, zero interest in doing a marathon run of block puzzles for a couple videos, which is what it sounds like there is.

@HandsomeDevil said:

Vincent got hit by a car. "Bad cheater" apparently means "Faithful to Katherine."

EDIT: Okay, apparently it's the questions at the end that mainly make the decision. Good stuff. Really glad it was translated like that and that the karma didn't matter nearly as much as 3 questions.

Fucking video games.

That is actually my biggest beef with the game.
#31 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

I got Katherine's bad lover ending. :(

#32 Posted by Flappy (2127 posts) -

My first playthrough ended with the True Lovers ending with a whole slew of achievements on the side;  Everyday hero being one of them.

#33 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

The Order I got the endings in were:

Bad Lovers
Bad Cheater
True Freedom
True Cheater
Normal Cheater
Normal Freedom
True Lovers
Normal Lovers

Favourite Ending would have to be true cheater ending

I've got Gold on all Normal difficulty levels, Gold on all Hard Difficulty levels except 6, 7 and 9 and have beat the first stage of Babel (Altar)

#34 Posted by Tophat666 (229 posts) -

I had come to the fact after beating the game(Good Lovers ending), I put back on the shelf only to the next day find my self think of the puzzle part & how much I really liked it. I'm now going for the all gold for the babel stuff.

Love this game.

#35 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I just beat the game I got the true lovers ending, just as planned, i'm working on true cheater, i've golded all level's on normal the first time through so i could get all the endings without too much trouble.. then i have to do the hard mode and babel... *fear*

#36 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

In my first playthrough I got True Lovers. Adorable ending. Despite shaking my head at the story that all the predictions @Catolf

@FluxWaveZ

and I had made in the comment section for the initial trailer were accurate. Redeemed a lot of the story for me. 

Got the True Freedom ending afterwards, which came with the awesome revelation that the game took place on a space colony. I knew it took place in 2060, but that still was a really nice twist. I like how almost every ending has little details like that.

@Marokai

said:

I ended up with the True Lovers ending myself, and it was pretty good, though I still feel like playing hard right on the morality scale probably doesn't fit the way Vincent is portrayed in the story very well. 

Really? Personally, the Lovers endings are the endings that make the most sense as a natural conclusion of his character arc. As hilarious as the True Cheaters ending, may be, it doesn't really feel like the character I'm seeing on screen is Vincent....at all. Also, I can cut Vincent some slack in that scene, because dude was obviously freaking the fuck out.

@natetodamax

said:

Just check the endings out on youtube, the story doesn't change enough to be worth a second playthrough if you don't like the puzzles as much as I do.

You can skip normal versions of Cheater/Freedom(they're just dumb variations on "true" versions). but be sure to watch the bad version and be ESPECIALLY sure to watch the true versions.
#37 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Also, the fact that Catherine took place on a space colony sort of justifies a lot of the perceived cultural missteps.

#38 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -
@mutha3: Oh man, is that what you took away from the True Freedom ending? I thought it was just part of that Space tour shit. Though I suppose this does elucidate a few things... 
#39 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Soren said:

@mutha3: Oh man, is that what you took away from the True Freedom ending? I thought it was just part of that Space tour shit. Though I suppose this does elucidate a few things... 

Vincent seems to walk away from the city in that shot, besides, a "tour" seems to imply actually going into deep space and discovering galaxies and stuff. The characters in the bar also call it a "space expedition" several times. If space colonies are "a thing" in Catherine, a 50,000 price tag seems mighty inefficient to me just for a visit.
#40 Edited by Soren (291 posts) -
@mutha3: Ahh, yeah, that low price point always stood out to me. It's just that in that scene where vincent is walking in the rain you can spy a grey sky filled with clouds, though that final scene would lead me to believe that space itself could be observed from anywhere outside through that (Glass?) dome. 

But I don't know, weather machines, space shit and all that.
#41 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
@Soren said:

Vincent seems to walk away from the city in that shot, besides, a "tour" seems to imply actually going into deep space and discovering galaxies and stuff. The characters in the bar also call it a "space expedition" several times. If space colonies are "a thing" in Catherine, a 50,000 price tag seems mighty inefficient to me just for a visit.
The tour could be going to colonies, and into deep space. I really don't want to believe Catherine took place on another planet, for some reason.
#42 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
The tour could be going to colonies, and into deep space. I really don't want to believe Catherine took place on another planet, for some reason.
But then there wouldn't be much of a reason to show that scene off.  II think its pretty obviously a scene where Vincent is preparing to leave behind his live of worries and go on that space trip he's been wanting to go on since forever. Especially when you consider what he says and the part where the location he's standing in is called a "spaceport".

Besides, the scene would be even more pointless if you consider that the presence of space colonies isn't ever mentioned in the story nor is it necessary to show one.
#43 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
@DonutFever said:
But then there wouldn't be much of a reason to show that scene off.  II think its pretty obviously a scene where Vincent is preparing to leave behind his live of worries and go on that space trip he's been wanting to go on since forever. Especially when you consider what he says and the part where the location he's standing in is called a "spaceport".  Besides, the scene would be even more pointless if you consider that the presence of space colonies isn't ever mentioned in the story nor is it necessary to show one.
True.
#44 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

I just got the Bad Lovers and Bad Cheater endings. I like how they imply everything that happened in the game took  place in Vincent's head at the very end of the credits (at least, that's how I took it).

#45 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I got the bad lover ending, after checking out some of the other endings I'm a little dissapointed but it's great to see all the other endings. Some other details that I missed out on, and I really appreciate this game now :)

#46 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

I'm never going to play this game, so I'm wondering if anybody has any idea about what Jeff and Patrick thought should be the actual ending to the game. Is there a video somewhere of it or a description? Someone please reply...

#47 Posted by Hi_Voltg3 (57 posts) -

Just got the True Lovers ending as well last night and from reading about all these other endings I'm so anxious to get the other ones!
#48 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I like how I can almost sum up True Freedom which I got with

#49 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Bad cheater ending, for whatever reason I didn't anticipate that the 'freedom' meter would have so much impact on the ending, rather I anticipated some sort of work around that would let me rectify any mistakes. In a way I appreciate it doesn't follow the conventional route of informing the player when a decision is considered final. 

Its nice that most of the endings all reveal some unique parts of the story, in that regard I consider the normal freedom route to be the most throwaway of all. 

#50 Posted by Milkman (16519 posts) -

Bumping this because I just finished the game. I got the good Katherine ending, which was kind of whatevs. After looking up the other endings, I think I got the lamest possible one. Become the son of Satan and live in Hell? Awesome. Say fuck everyone and move to FUCKING SPACE?!! Amazing.  

Overall, I can't say I enjoyed the game all that much. The puzzles were always a pain and what started off as a very human story devolved into typical JRPG bullshit by the end of the game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.