Catherine Has Sold Half A Million Copies Worldwide

#1 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

While some of us European folks still wait for the European release of Catherine, which is scheduled for early 2012, Atlus have today announced that Catherine has passed the 500,000 copies sold mark. The company failed to divulge any precise figures for each territory, but since we know that Media Create has it down as reaching 200,000 units in Japan, the US's share isn't too difficult to work out.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/24965/500000-Copies-of-Catherine-Sold-Worldwide/

#2 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Catherine is a Good Game.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

LOVE IS OVER!

Congrats to Atlus.

#4 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

Congratulations to Atlus!

#5 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

You know; after i played Catherine... I noticed that the parts that i most enjoyed were the Nightmare Sections.

#6 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Persona 3 is their best-selling game and it sold around 800k copies I think. So yeah, Catherine has done good.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11379 posts) -

For an obscure and weird game like Catherine, that's pretty good.

#8 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

For an obscure and weird game like Catherine, that's pretty good.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Hourai: I think Persona 4 was their best selling game. At least in NA.
#10 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

I'm pretty sure it was, but counting both the regular Persona 3 and FES it definitely comes out on top. I wish I saved the chart when it was posted before.

#11 Posted by Winternet (8051 posts) -

Good for Atlus. At least, I think 500k is a good number. I don't know anymore.

#12 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Hourai said:

@MikeGosot said:

I'm pretty sure it was, but counting both the regular Persona 3 and FES it definitely comes out on top. I wish I saved the chart when it was posted before.

Makes sense. Specially if you also count P3P.
#13 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

They deserve it. Fantastic game.

#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Not sure if that's a good number but if it is, hooray!

#15 Posted by 49th (2840 posts) -

I have no idea what people see in that game, congratulations anyway I guess.

#16 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Not sure if that's a good number but if it is, hooray!

It is a good number. A really good number. Mass Effect 2 was extremely popular and it sold around two million copies, so for a quirky game like Catherine to do this well is something pretty commendable.

#17 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

They've shipped 500k, which is different than sold 500k, but it's still an enormous success for them. Grats to Atlus all the same though.

#18 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

So worldwide means what? Canada, US and Japan?

Right.

@49th said:

I have no idea what people see in that game, congratulations anyway I guess.

It has a decent story, it plays well and it's something different. There, now you can see it.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Good for Atlus. At least, I think 500k is a good number. I don't know anymore.

For many games, it's an excellent sales number.

#20 Posted by LetsRockBaby (220 posts) -

That's really good to know. Atlus deserves those numbers.

#21 Posted by Cathryn (550 posts) -

Though Catherine is not my favourite Atlus game, I'm really happy that so many people decided to take a chance on something new and a bit strange. Congrats to Atlus!

#22 Posted by AlexW00d (6428 posts) -

That's not particularly good for a game with so many dedicated fans... Super Meat Boy is a tiny little indie game and has sold ~600,000 copies.

#23 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Why the delay in Europe?

#24 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

That's not particularly good for a game with so many dedicated fans... Super Meat Boy is a tiny little indie game and has sold ~600,000 copies.

Super Meat Boy was only $15.

#25 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

Still play the nightmare sections on occasion just for kicks. That game is so good.

#26 Posted by AlexW00d (6428 posts) -

@Hourai said:

@AlexW00d said:

That makes no difference. It also didn't get advertised at all due to Microsoft fucking Team Meat over.

#27 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Hourai said:

@AlexW00d said:

That makes no difference. It also didn't get advertised at all due to Microsoft fucking Team Meat over.

It does. Comparing the sales of a $10-15 downloadable game to a $60 retail game isn't really the greatest comparison. Super Meat Boy created a lot of buzz online and Steam was a huge part of the sales too. Atlus definitely has dedicated fans, but they aren't too numerous. The only franchise of theirs that is really popular is the Persona series, so Catherine doing this well is great.

#28 Posted by lord_canti (1522 posts) -

i bought my copy yesterday.....i like to think i made a difference

#29 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

awesome, glad to see it's sold well and with a EU release i hope it sells even better.

Hey ATLUS *whisper* how about another Catherine like game with a girl as the main... huh... huh?!

#30 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Awesome.

#31 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

@Hourai said:

@AlexW00d said:

By the logic every game has shitty sales because Angry Birds.
#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -
@Catolf said:
Hey ATLUS *whisper* how about another Catherine like game with a girl as the main... huh... huh?!
It'd be very surprising to see a video game where a female character is portrayed as much as a loser as Vincent is, especially as the main character.
#33 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Good for them even though I think that game is bad.

#34 Posted by YukoAsho (2122 posts) -

500,000K so soon after release is not bad at all, and since Atlus is one of the few RESPONSIBLE companies in gaming, they probably got much more than they spent for development.

Just goes to show that a smart developer can make more with less.

#35 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Hopefully they use some of that to bring the next Persona game to PS3 and 360. I will be bummed if it is on PS2 or just for PS3 because I wouldn't be able to play it. Congrats to them nonetheless.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

Maybe I'm expecting too much but 500k doesn't seem like a lot.

#37 Edited by endaround (2147 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Japanese games often are made so they don't need to sell 7 figures to be profitable. Catherine was likely made to break even with about 250K in sales worldwide if not fewer.

#38 Posted by supermike6 (3639 posts) -

I bought one of those!!!!!

Hooray for me! Hooray for them!

#39 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

@endaround said:

@JasonR86 said:

Japanese games often are made so they don't need to sell 7 figures to be profitable.

Ok, I hope that is the case. I don't own the game but I like the developer and want them to have success.

#40 Edited by Jeust (10852 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the game over Europe. :(

#41 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@endaround said:

@JasonR86 said:

Japanese games often are made so they don't need to sell 7 figures to be profitable.

Ok, I hope that is the case. I don't own the game but I like the developer and want them to have success.

Atlus is a very small developer. For them, 500,000 sold worldwide is a larger-than-average figure in terms of their successes.

#42 Posted by Turambar (6888 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Catolf said:
It'd be very surprising to see a video game where a female character is portrayed as much as a loser as Vincent is, especially as the main character.
You wouldn't get two steps out the door before someone screams misogyny, 
#43 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@JasonR86 said:

@endaround said:

@JasonR86 said:

Atlus is a very small developer. For them, 500,000 sold worldwide is a larger-than-average figure in terms of their successes.

This is a little off topic but I thought Atlus was just the American publisher. I thought the developer was the Japanese team behind the Persona games.

#44 Posted by Marokai (3141 posts) -

Proud to be part of that 500k.

@JasonR86: Atlus is the developer in Japan, behind the Persona series, but Atlus has an American branch that localizes, touches up, and publishes the games here in America. They have no publishing arm in Europe, however.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
@Catolf said:

they don't even have to be portrayed as a loser, necessarily, because then it would be exactly like Catherine only instead of Cathy and Kathy it'd be like, Carl and Karl

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Hailinel said:

@JasonR86 said:

@endaround said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is a little off topic but I thought Atlus was just the American publisher. I thought the developer was the Japanese team behind the Persona games.

Atlus is both a publisher and developer in Japan, and their catalog of games extends well outside of just Persona. Atlus USA publishes their games in North America, as well as titles they license from other Japanese developers, as was the case for Demon's Souls.

#47 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
@Catolf said:

they don't even have to be portrayed as a loser, necessarily, because then it would be exactly like Catherine only instead of Cathy and Kathy it'd be like, Carl and Karl

exactly. She dosen't need to be a loser (though i didn't consider Vincent a loser, indecisive to a fault yes. but a loser, no he had a job, he just liked to spend money on himself. XP.

But it just could be another indecisive person (female) maybe push the envelope and make her married and in a stagnant relationship that she is unsure of if she will say, throw in some hot temptation and maybe a new concept on puzzles and you got yourself a game.
#48 Posted by AlexW00d (6428 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Hourai said:

@AlexW00d said:

By the logic every game has shitty sales because Angry Birds.

Not even slightly. A small budget platform game, by an unknown developer, and a big budget (by comparison) puzzle-come-dating-sim by a well renowned, moderately known developer seems a valid case to me.

And if your still unsatisfied, what about the Witcher 2? That game is only on PC (for now) had very little marketing, by an unknown developer, and it has sold 1.2 million copies in 5 months.

@Afroman269 said:

Good for them even though I think that game is bad.

Also this.

#49 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Not even slightly. A small budget platform game, by an unknown developer, and a big budget (by comparison) puzzle-come-dating-sim by a well renowned, moderately known developer seems a valid case to me.

And if your still unsatisfied, what about the Witcher 2? That game is only on PC (for now) had very little marketing, by an unknown developer, and it has sold 1.2 million copies in 5 months.

I think you are incredibly out of touch with what Atlus actually is. Catherine is one of their best selling game of all time.

Most of their games barely hit 60K worldwide.

@JasonR86 said:

The Persona team is housed at Atlus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.