Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine Needs A New Game+ Mode Without Puzzles (Maybe Spoilers)

Hoagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Hoagie

I finished Catherine in about a week -- a rare feat these days -- with the True Freedom ending. As the story progressed and the nightmares became longer and more challenging, I found myself getting frustrated sooner. I just wanted the nightmares to end so I could go on and soak up more dialogue.

As the credits rolled, I thought how nice it would be to unlock a New Game+ with an option to skip all of the puzzles, essentially the "game" of the game, and go through each night again. Alas, no New Game+. Only more frustration. I suppose my next playthrough will incorporate a laptop and walkthroughs.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Catolf
    @Hoagie said:

I finished Catherine in about a week -- a rare feat these days -- with the True Freedom ending. As the story progressed and the nightmares became longer and more challenging, I found myself getting frustrated sooner. I just wanted the nightmares to end so I could go on and soak up more dialogue.

As the credits rolled, I thought how nice it would be to unlock a New Game+ with an option to skip all of the puzzles, essentially the "game" of the game, and go through each night again. Alas, no New Game+. Only more frustration. I suppose my next playthrough will incorporate a laptop and walkthroughs.

it's called golding the levels. Catherine does have new game plus, i've played through it three times without having to do the puzzles (that I enjoyed) because I got gold.
    Hoagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hoagie

@Catolf: I enjoyed most of the puzzles. Not enough to slog through them again though. The only gold I have is on the first and that's only after a number of retries.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Catolf
    @Hoagie: then you can skip the first one because you have gold. If you want to skip the others then you gotta do the same. If your doing the endings for trophies/or achievements your better off starting on hard and finishing that with a youtube guide. If not then put it on super easy at the menu and you can blast through with an item.
    Hoagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hoagie

@Catolf: Not worried about trophies. I just want to go through the story again... without puzzles.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Catolf
    @Hoagie: you can't unless you gold them or do as I said and put it on very easy mode, to which you'll have to go through them anyway.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mutha3
    @Hoagie: Have you tried Very Easy/are you aware that it exists? 

Keep the cursor over the golden playhouse option and keep select pressed until the screen flashes.

Bam. The puzzles sections are now incredibly easy to gold and beatable in half a minute if you know what you're doing. Also, getting gold is a matter of picking up coins+getting a high combo meter chain. Its a cakewalk on Very Easy, so at least try it out.
    Hoagie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hoagie

@mutha3: I'll give it a shot. I played on Normal the first time. I just assumed the puzzles were the same over difficulties, just with more strict time constraints.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mutha3
    @Hoagie said:

@mutha3: I'll give it a shot. I played on Normal the first time. I just assumed the puzzles were the same over difficulties, just with more strict time constraints.

Nah, the entire puzzle layouts change along with it along with other stuff. There's a significant difficulty bump with each mode.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hoagie said:

I just assumed the puzzles were the same over difficulties, just with more strict time constraints.

Haha, if only.
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

You can just view everything and skip the 'stages' once you have finished the game, the only catch is you have to get gold on all nights on at least normal. It was a bit of a life saver as I wasn't really focusing on either chaos or freedom the first time through and was just answering the questions honestly, as a result I ended up with the bad cheater ending. 

I wanted to attempt to get the Platinum trophy in this, but truth be told I think it would crush my spirit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.