Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine producer interview (part 1)

tansuikabutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By tansuikabutsu

Well, it's been a while since I had an account here, so maybe it's time to try that blog thing. I've had blogs in the past, all abandoned now, so we'll see how it goes. 

But we'll leave introductions for a later post. It's best to start with actual content! 

My favorite Japanese games magazine is currently Dengeki Games. It's a monthly, fairly thick, and seems to have more actual content than most of its competition. The latest issue, out last week, has a cover shot of Catherine, from the game with the same title that was recently covered here on GB, accompanied by a long interesting interview with Katsura Hashino, the game's producer. Most of the interview is about the concept of "games for adult players", which is not nearly as advanced in Japan as it is in the west (the interview touches on why that is quite a bit). Anyway, I decided it's good training material, so I'm translating it bit by bit and sharing the results. The first part is right here. 
    Numbers in square brackets refer to footnotes from the original interview. You'll find them at the bottom. After that I'll add my own comments if there are any (there are for this part). 

Let me know what you think! 

"Catherine" and Games for Adults
     There was a time when computer games were recognized as nothing more than "children games". But much like a society that shows a multitude of aspects as an era advances, games too continued to evolve in a multitude of ways, and today people of ages that can be called "adult" are playing computer games in many forms. Of course, many of them are people who were children in the "Famicom era", when the TV game revolution took place, and continued enjoying video games into their adulthood. 
    In any case, today many people agree that video games are a form of entertainment that can captivate adults as well as children. That said, when we think about "games for adults" (and by that we don't mean games designated for adults because of sexual or violent scenes, but games designed for people with a certain amount of life experience), just how many come to mind, if at all? And what kind of games are they? One answer might include "Catherine", which arrives in stores this month. In this special report, we talk to Catherine's producer, Mr. Katsura Hashino, about the appeal of his current game as well as about the possibilities in "games for adults".
    ---

- To start, can you tell us the motivation for creating a game that can be enjoyed best by people in their 30's and 40's?
    Hashino: Up until now I was involved with the "Persona" series [1], which we designed so both high school students and people who attended high school a few years before could identify with. As we continued with that process, I suddenly found myself wondering if there are any games I, who just turned 30, could identify with just as easily. If we look at TV and movies, we find many works that depict adult life faithfully. But in video games, once you reach those bewildering 30's and 40's, you can't succeed by giving your characters a sword to wield any more, but must show the struggles of adult life in order to have your players identify with the characters. Those were my thoughts that motivated me to make the game.
    I wasn't sure it was a good idea to have a 32 year old man as the protagonist, but since he was accompanied by two pretty women I looked forward to make an adult-oriented romantic adventure game. But as we were making the game, our two women turned out very different from those that are in your standard romantic game (laughs). You often hear the expression "my bride [2]" in regard to game and anime heroines, but thematically our two girls are intensely the exact opposite. In that way they can never become "my bride" (laughs).

- When you play the game, the scene where they come across each other is too real -- in its own way it's even "horror", isn't it? (laughs)
    Hashino: When you're drinking with friends it's fun to hear about someone's scene of carnage at home after his infidelity was exposed, isn't it? Because it happened to someone else (laughs). It's kind of a popular story. So we thought it would be quite fun, but when you actually play the scene it's scary (big laugh). That's why as opposed to Persona, where we didn't put any words into the protagonist's mouth in order to make him one with the player, we thought it would be harsh to do the same here, and we set it up so the player enjoys watching this man called Vincent from the side.  

- What are your thoughts about making a game where the protagonist is an adult?
    Hashino: I could insert references that only people of my generation can understand. Like "Golden Play Theater" [3] (laughs). I think people in their twenties will probably not even realize it is a parody, let alone actually know it, but that's actually what's great about it. Besides that, when you become an adult your time becomes limited and your actions are mostly influenced by whether they're advantageous to you or not. I want to create a game that makes you notice the unusual and hazy things in the world.

[1] "Persona" series - Starting with Persona 3, this is the series of games that Katsura Hashino is best known for producing and directing.
    [2] "My bride" ("ore no yome") - A typical expression from men regarding their ideal female type characters. In most cases, it's used in regard to 2-dimensional anime characters.
    [3] "Golden Play Theater" - As is apparent when looking at the top-left of Catherine's screen, the game is set up as a program of the "Golden Play Theater". The motif is the same as the actual old TV show, "Golden Western Theater". "When we were kids video players were not yet popular, and we often saw movies for the first time on television. There are probably many with intense memories of it." (Hashino)

(My own note - Golden Western Theater was a Japanese TV show that aired in the '70s and '80s, showcasing mostly American movies. You can see its opening titles here, that are clearly the inspiration for Catherine's opening, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOz9eKIkOk)     

tansuikabutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tansuikabutsu

Well, it's been a while since I had an account here, so maybe it's time to try that blog thing. I've had blogs in the past, all abandoned now, so we'll see how it goes. 

But we'll leave introductions for a later post. It's best to start with actual content! 

My favorite Japanese games magazine is currently Dengeki Games. It's a monthly, fairly thick, and seems to have more actual content than most of its competition. The latest issue, out last week, has a cover shot of Catherine, from the game with the same title that was recently covered here on GB, accompanied by a long interesting interview with Katsura Hashino, the game's producer. Most of the interview is about the concept of "games for adult players", which is not nearly as advanced in Japan as it is in the west (the interview touches on why that is quite a bit). Anyway, I decided it's good training material, so I'm translating it bit by bit and sharing the results. The first part is right here. 
    Numbers in square brackets refer to footnotes from the original interview. You'll find them at the bottom. After that I'll add my own comments if there are any (there are for this part). 

Let me know what you think! 

"Catherine" and Games for Adults
     There was a time when computer games were recognized as nothing more than "children games". But much like a society that shows a multitude of aspects as an era advances, games too continued to evolve in a multitude of ways, and today people of ages that can be called "adult" are playing computer games in many forms. Of course, many of them are people who were children in the "Famicom era", when the TV game revolution took place, and continued enjoying video games into their adulthood. 
    In any case, today many people agree that video games are a form of entertainment that can captivate adults as well as children. That said, when we think about "games for adults" (and by that we don't mean games designated for adults because of sexual or violent scenes, but games designed for people with a certain amount of life experience), just how many come to mind, if at all? And what kind of games are they? One answer might include "Catherine", which arrives in stores this month. In this special report, we talk to Catherine's producer, Mr. Katsura Hashino, about the appeal of his current game as well as about the possibilities in "games for adults".
    ---

- To start, can you tell us the motivation for creating a game that can be enjoyed best by people in their 30's and 40's?
    Hashino: Up until now I was involved with the "Persona" series [1], which we designed so both high school students and people who attended high school a few years before could identify with. As we continued with that process, I suddenly found myself wondering if there are any games I, who just turned 30, could identify with just as easily. If we look at TV and movies, we find many works that depict adult life faithfully. But in video games, once you reach those bewildering 30's and 40's, you can't succeed by giving your characters a sword to wield any more, but must show the struggles of adult life in order to have your players identify with the characters. Those were my thoughts that motivated me to make the game.
    I wasn't sure it was a good idea to have a 32 year old man as the protagonist, but since he was accompanied by two pretty women I looked forward to make an adult-oriented romantic adventure game. But as we were making the game, our two women turned out very different from those that are in your standard romantic game (laughs). You often hear the expression "my bride [2]" in regard to game and anime heroines, but thematically our two girls are intensely the exact opposite. In that way they can never become "my bride" (laughs).

- When you play the game, the scene where they come across each other is too real -- in its own way it's even "horror", isn't it? (laughs)
    Hashino: When you're drinking with friends it's fun to hear about someone's scene of carnage at home after his infidelity was exposed, isn't it? Because it happened to someone else (laughs). It's kind of a popular story. So we thought it would be quite fun, but when you actually play the scene it's scary (big laugh). That's why as opposed to Persona, where we didn't put any words into the protagonist's mouth in order to make him one with the player, we thought it would be harsh to do the same here, and we set it up so the player enjoys watching this man called Vincent from the side.  

- What are your thoughts about making a game where the protagonist is an adult?
    Hashino: I could insert references that only people of my generation can understand. Like "Golden Play Theater" [3] (laughs). I think people in their twenties will probably not even realize it is a parody, let alone actually know it, but that's actually what's great about it. Besides that, when you become an adult your time becomes limited and your actions are mostly influenced by whether they're advantageous to you or not. I want to create a game that makes you notice the unusual and hazy things in the world.

[1] "Persona" series - Starting with Persona 3, this is the series of games that Katsura Hashino is best known for producing and directing.
    [2] "My bride" ("ore no yome") - A typical expression from men regarding their ideal female type characters. In most cases, it's used in regard to 2-dimensional anime characters.
    [3] "Golden Play Theater" - As is apparent when looking at the top-left of Catherine's screen, the game is set up as a program of the "Golden Play Theater". The motif is the same as the actual old TV show, "Golden Western Theater". "When we were kids video players were not yet popular, and we often saw movies for the first time on television. There are probably many with intense memories of it." (Hashino)

(My own note - Golden Western Theater was a Japanese TV show that aired in the '70s and '80s, showcasing mostly American movies. You can see its opening titles here, that are clearly the inspiration for Catherine's opening, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOz9eKIkOk)     

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

Very cool. I would like to see more Japanese games use characters who are older, even though I am only 20, I'm tired of teenage boy saving the world... Oddly enough I still love the Persona series.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mutha3

Nice. Are you translating more? Hashino is the director as well.

@tansuikabutsu said:

(My own note - Golden Western Theater was a Japanese TV show that aired in the '70s and '80s, showcasing mostly American movies. You can see its opening titles here, that are clearly the inspiration for Catherine's opening, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOz9eKIkOk)      "

THIS IS AMAZING.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3 said:
    " Nice. Are you translating more? Hashino is the director as well.

@tansuikabutsu said:

(My own note - Golden Western Theater was a Japanese TV show that aired in the '70s and '80s, showcasing mostly American movies. You can see its opening titles here, that are clearly the inspiration for Catherine's opening, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOz9eKIkOk)      "
    THIS IS AMAZING. "
    Nooowww I know where the intro comes from! XD
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Really cool man, thanks for the translation.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @Catolf said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " Nice. Are you translating more? Hashino is the director as well.

@tansuikabutsu said:

THIS IS AMAZING. "
    Nooowww I know where the intro comes from! XD "
    This makes the Catherine intro so much more enjoyable.
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ChrisTaran

Very cool to see what inspired the whole Golden Play Theater thing. 
    Thanks for the translation and finding that YouTube video of the Golden Western Theater opening!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.