Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine producer interview (part 2)

tansuikabutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By tansuikabutsu

Part 2 of my translation of Dengeki Game's recent interview with Katsura Hoshino, "Catherine"'s producer. Part one is here, and there's many more to come -- this is a long interview. 

---  

- By the way, in the west there are a lot of games where the protagonist is an adult, but in Japan it's mostly teenagers or young boys. What are your thoughts on that?

Hashino: I'm not sure I have a general theory about the matter, but if I have to say one thing, it's that Japanese people are under the illusion that adult life is boring. Well, it truly *is* boring, you know (laughs). To complement that, the reverence of young people's life is strong. But I think the tendency is changing. The dreams of people who grew up in the Famicom era were always influenced by the games they played, and a lot of them continue to enjoy games to this day. In a way, these 30 and 40 year olds are also winning in life -- even in their old age they still have a lot of fun playing a load of games. Since then we moved into an even more virtual world, and all sorts of communication tools are now available. That's why even though today's protagonists are mostly kids, I think in 10 years time we will see many games designed to resonate with the Famicom-era people in their 40s and 50s.

- It also seems to me that since the Famicom-era, there were a lot of Atlus games oriented towards an adult audience [1].
    Hashino: The developers at Atlas are often not concerned about making games for a specific target audience, but rather about making something they themselves like. As the members of the developer teams aged, they probably started making adult-oriented games. Even in the Persona series, even though we made it with young people in mind, we still left a lot of things in it that resonate with us. When you decide to make something you don't understand yourself, you end up with nothing but calculation and guesses. And even if you're very good with these calculations, they will be easily seen through by the players. It's especially true when writing for adults - it must be something you yourself feel is good and interesting. You have to know yourself what is interesting and what is no good. If I have to sum up what "a game for adults" is, I'd say it have to be something not designed by calculation, but a straight, honest thing.

- When writing entertainment for adults, you must probably entertain some self restraint. What are your thoughts on that subject?
    Hashino: For example, when deciding on the gap between your work's character setup and worldview as opposed to simple eroticism, I think you must have some self restraint. In Catherine's case, however, the situations are probably appropriate for people in our character's age group, and their expression isn't extreme. It's also visually not erotic at all. Or is it erotic? (laughs). In any case, erotica is not the goal of playing the game. It's hard to define what is erotic, but I don't think we have scenes that will make anyone scowl. Rather, I'd like to have an experience that can only be felt in a video game, beyond anything that's shown in individual cut scenes. Adults are full of that kind of imaginative power.

- Next, let us hear the reason you made love the theme of Catherine.
    Hashino: In the beginning, we had the idea of making a game about "the nightmares of soldiers in the battlefield between one battle and the next", but we soon realized that not a lot of people have had real life experience of being a soldier. When you have a high-school student as your protagonist, it's not difficult to presuppose people will have that "yeah, I understand" feeling when playing school activities, but once you're in your 30s or 40s, careers and life styles start to diverge, and there isn't much shared experience anymore. But there is one thing - the connection between men and women. Love and the problems of marriage - if you're an adult it's most likely a large part of life around you. In addition, while love is a popular theme in movies and TV shows, there aren't many games that tackled adult love issues in a serious manner, so we thought it would be interesting.

- When thinking about the theme of love in video games, the first thing that comes to mind are romantic adventure games and romantic simulations, but Catherine's feel is certainly different from most of those.
    Hashino: In your average romantic adventure and simulation game, you try to win over a girl you're interested in. Catherine isn't a "winning over" game. We start in a situation where you already have a lover, and throughout the story it's the girls who are on a full-scale attack (laughs). In a way, it's a story that happens after the romantic simulation scenario is over.

[1] Adult oriented Atlus games - Atlus games such as the "Shin Megami Tensei" series, the "Busin" series and the "Desperia" series deal with gods and demons, as well as with the human condition. They can be enjoyed by young people, but are full of themes that take on a deeper significant for adults.

[2] Romantic adventure and simulation games - In romantic simulation games, the player's approach determines who will become the protagonist's lover between several heroines, and changes the story's ending. On the other hand, in recent romantic adventure games, there are next to no selections to be made, and the games act more like digital novels, where enjoying the drama is the important part.
    tansuikabutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By tansuikabutsu

Part 2 of my translation of Dengeki Game's recent interview with Katsura Hoshino, "Catherine"'s producer. Part one is here, and there's many more to come -- this is a long interview. 

---  

- By the way, in the west there are a lot of games where the protagonist is an adult, but in Japan it's mostly teenagers or young boys. What are your thoughts on that?

Hashino: I'm not sure I have a general theory about the matter, but if I have to say one thing, it's that Japanese people are under the illusion that adult life is boring. Well, it truly *is* boring, you know (laughs). To complement that, the reverence of young people's life is strong. But I think the tendency is changing. The dreams of people who grew up in the Famicom era were always influenced by the games they played, and a lot of them continue to enjoy games to this day. In a way, these 30 and 40 year olds are also winning in life -- even in their old age they still have a lot of fun playing a load of games. Since then we moved into an even more virtual world, and all sorts of communication tools are now available. That's why even though today's protagonists are mostly kids, I think in 10 years time we will see many games designed to resonate with the Famicom-era people in their 40s and 50s.

- It also seems to me that since the Famicom-era, there were a lot of Atlus games oriented towards an adult audience [1].
    Hashino: The developers at Atlas are often not concerned about making games for a specific target audience, but rather about making something they themselves like. As the members of the developer teams aged, they probably started making adult-oriented games. Even in the Persona series, even though we made it with young people in mind, we still left a lot of things in it that resonate with us. When you decide to make something you don't understand yourself, you end up with nothing but calculation and guesses. And even if you're very good with these calculations, they will be easily seen through by the players. It's especially true when writing for adults - it must be something you yourself feel is good and interesting. You have to know yourself what is interesting and what is no good. If I have to sum up what "a game for adults" is, I'd say it have to be something not designed by calculation, but a straight, honest thing.

- When writing entertainment for adults, you must probably entertain some self restraint. What are your thoughts on that subject?
    Hashino: For example, when deciding on the gap between your work's character setup and worldview as opposed to simple eroticism, I think you must have some self restraint. In Catherine's case, however, the situations are probably appropriate for people in our character's age group, and their expression isn't extreme. It's also visually not erotic at all. Or is it erotic? (laughs). In any case, erotica is not the goal of playing the game. It's hard to define what is erotic, but I don't think we have scenes that will make anyone scowl. Rather, I'd like to have an experience that can only be felt in a video game, beyond anything that's shown in individual cut scenes. Adults are full of that kind of imaginative power.

- Next, let us hear the reason you made love the theme of Catherine.
    Hashino: In the beginning, we had the idea of making a game about "the nightmares of soldiers in the battlefield between one battle and the next", but we soon realized that not a lot of people have had real life experience of being a soldier. When you have a high-school student as your protagonist, it's not difficult to presuppose people will have that "yeah, I understand" feeling when playing school activities, but once you're in your 30s or 40s, careers and life styles start to diverge, and there isn't much shared experience anymore. But there is one thing - the connection between men and women. Love and the problems of marriage - if you're an adult it's most likely a large part of life around you. In addition, while love is a popular theme in movies and TV shows, there aren't many games that tackled adult love issues in a serious manner, so we thought it would be interesting.

- When thinking about the theme of love in video games, the first thing that comes to mind are romantic adventure games and romantic simulations, but Catherine's feel is certainly different from most of those.
    Hashino: In your average romantic adventure and simulation game, you try to win over a girl you're interested in. Catherine isn't a "winning over" game. We start in a situation where you already have a lover, and throughout the story it's the girls who are on a full-scale attack (laughs). In a way, it's a story that happens after the romantic simulation scenario is over.

[1] Adult oriented Atlus games - Atlus games such as the "Shin Megami Tensei" series, the "Busin" series and the "Desperia" series deal with gods and demons, as well as with the human condition. They can be enjoyed by young people, but are full of themes that take on a deeper significant for adults.

[2] Romantic adventure and simulation games - In romantic simulation games, the player's approach determines who will become the protagonist's lover between several heroines, and changes the story's ending. On the other hand, in recent romantic adventure games, there are next to no selections to be made, and the games act more like digital novels, where enjoying the drama is the important part.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

Thanks, keep it up!  Interesting reads :D

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By RagingLion

Thank you for these.  I think the story behind Catherine getting created and the ideas of people behind it are just as interesting as the game is likely to be.  Consider yourself followed, at least till the end of this series of interview blogs.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mutha3

This is really interesting. Thanks for posting these!

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Catolf

Great read, it's nice to read about the thoughts that went into making Catherine.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ChrisTaran

Just to be a little clearer on the  "Romantic adventure and simulation games," I believe they're referring to Visual Novels like ' Clannad' or ' Shuffle!.' Among other things, I'm sure.

tansuikabutsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tansuikabutsu
    @ChrisTaran said:
    " Just to be a little clearer on the  "Romantic adventure and simulation games," I believe they're referring to Visual Novels like ' Clannad' or ' Shuffle!.' Among other things, I'm sure. "
    Those are the adventure games. The simulations refer to games like Love Plus or Tokimeki Memorial which are less about a story and more about raising a bunch of stats to make the girls like you.
    ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @tansuikabutsu: Right, right, I knew I was forgetting things like Love Plus!
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Nice effort with the translation, interesting interview.

spiffyXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By spiffyXD

I'd just like to say that I really appreciate you doing these translations! I enjoy reading the producer's thought processes behind the game and the themes surrounding it. Really interesting and insightful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.