Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Catherine Questions (MAJOR SPOILERS)

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

Alright, so I just beat the game with the ending where he marries Katherine, and I've got a few questions. 

1. Who the hell did Jonny betray?  
    2. How many endings are there? 
    3. Why is Toby such a little bitch? 

Alright, that last one was a joke... sort of.  

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Random88

Jonny thought he betrayed Vincent since he is in love with Katherine

There are 8 endings.  3 for each girl and 2 where Vincent winds up with no one

Toby slept with Erica and she used to be a man

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, Toby's an idiot. 

And Random88 answered all of your questions accurately.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By matpaget

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah... 
    Erica was a dude?!?! 

I thought maybe Jonny betrayed Toby by sleeping with Erica, and that's why they were getting all weird when Toby talked about her.  
    Y'know, but making you think that he slept with Katherine the whole time.

I guess that's why she was getting those dreams too. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MatPaget: Did you get the True Lovers ending or the Normal Lovers ending (they get married in each one, but they plan the marriage in the latter)? Because they explicitly say, during the True Lovers, that Erica was known as "Eric" during school and that's why Toby is bummed about losing his virginity to her. 

It also makes sense when you observe dialogue earlier in the game that refers to Erica's gender. Such as when Vincent says something akin to"I would believe that if it was coming from a woman" at one point.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matpaget
    @FluxWaveZ: Yeah, I'm actually doing the whole "Oh, NOW that makes sense" to everything that happened with her in the game. 

And yeah, I got the "You were known as Eric back in school" thing, but I thought that was just a name that they'd tease her with and Toby was just being an immature little bitch.  
    It all makes sense now! 
    Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Random88

Other hints about Ericas previous gender.
    Toby saying something felt weird but thought it was due to his inexperience
    Orlando's way of talking to Erica
    Erica mentioned that she started having nightmares.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By matpaget
    @Random88: Did she tuck or was she post op? 
    I have to mail a letter to Atlus or something. My questions NEED answering.
    Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Random88

She is post op.  
    They talk about that time years ago when She disappeared.
    Toby actually slept with her

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @MatPaget: I don't think it really matters. Or at least, I'm glad they didn't delve too much into it in the game. I'm glad, somewhat like Kanji and Naoto in Persona 4, they could deal with gender issues that are not usually observed in a game with respect and subtlety. 

@Random88 said: 

She is post op.   They talk about that time years ago when She disappeared.

I don't think that points to her being post-op at all.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By matpaget
    @Random88: Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! That makes sense now...  
    Hmm... this game is pretty awesome.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By matpaget
    @FluxWaveZ: Agreed! I feel like they're saying, "Yeah, she used to be a dude, but it doesn't matter. Did you notice till we straight up said so?" 
    Kind of more accepting of those kinds of people.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

yup, erica is my hero <3 I had thought that they acted weird about Toby dating Erica because Jonny liked her or something. another clue was Orlando acting super weird when Toby said he lost his V-card with her, since orlando (supposedly) did not know she had the surgery.

Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Random88
    @Laketown: Orlanda's reaction was what made me think that Erica used to be a man.  Confirmed by the ending.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said:

since orlando (supposedly) did not know she had the surgery.

Why do you say that? Actually, Orlando doesn't start acting uneasy during that conversation until Toby attempts to describe what he thought felt "weird" during their sexual encounter.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Laketown said:

since orlando (supposedly) did not know she had the surgery.

Why do you say that? Actually, Orlando doesn't start acting uneasy during that conversation until Toby attempts to describe what he thought felt "weird" during their sexual encounter.

that's how I saw it, anyway; they all say she "disappeared" but I don't think they ever eluded to anything more than that, just saying that she stayed with a friend, so they must have thought that she just disappeared for a time. and I also had a thought that maybe it was just for Erica's sake that they weren't telling Toby, but Vincent can talk to Erica where they talk about when she disappeared, so... I could be totally wrong but :P

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown: No, I meant why do you think that Orlando was the only one who didn't know about Erica's surgery. They were all childhood friends (except for Toby), before Erica was known as Erica.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Laketown: No, I meant why do you think that Orlando was the only one who didn't know about Erica's surgery. They were all childhood friends, before Erica was known as Erica.

no, I was assuming that all of them didn't know, they may have guessed but I don't think they knew until Toby talked about losing his virginity to her

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said: 

no, I was assuming that all of them didn't know, they may have guessed but I don't think they knew until Toby talked about losing his virginity to her

But they were friends with her when she was still a guy. At least, that's what I thought.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Laketown said:

But they were friends with her when she was still a guy. At least, that's what I thought.

well, yeah, but I was talking about the surgery part :P the surgery is expensive, after all, and she was probably going around as a girl before it (since, in real life, you have to go full time as a girl for one year before the surgery)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said: 

well, yeah, but I was talking about the surgery part :P the surgery is expensive, after all, and she was probably going around as a girl before it (since, in real life, you have to go full time as a girl for one year before the surgery)

But she has breasts. She even jokes that she keeps catching Vincent staring at her cleavage at one point. When she was "Eric", she obviously wouldn't have those. Other elements like that would lead me to think they were already aware of the surgery and just didn't tell Toby because they're jerks.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

psh, breasts? you can hide them for a while once you start taking the estrogen. anyway I still don't think they knew (again, they might have guessed) because the only reason they mention her going away was... oh god, wasn't it because she had a bad breakup or something? I don't think there's anyway to know, with the little information we have, without asking someone from Atlus :P

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown: I don't get it. Yeah, she mentions she went to stay at a friend's house because of a bad break up, but how did they not know she had a surgery before Tobias had sex with her? Again, I use the breasts as an obvious example. She jokes that Vincent stares at her cleavage constantly while asking herself if she's showing too much of it. If Vincent was friends with her before she had a surgery, looking completely different and breastless when she was "Eric", how could he be totally oblivious to the fact that as "Erica", she has breasts? Same with the other guys: they always get to see them when she leans against their table, taking their orders.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animasta

ok, ok, I get where you're confused. the hormones make the transgendered individual grow breasts, and they must take hormones for at least a year before any type of genital surgery. they are usually not that big but sometimes they do get fairly big. some transgendered people get boob jobs, but most don't. she was also, more than likely, going around as Erica before she had the surgery (as I said, this is mandatory irl). so when she went away, they probably just assumed she was doing it because she broke up with someone. and of course, it's an insanely douchebag thing to ask about a transgendered person's genitals, so they probably never asked. I was just saying that they might have guessed she had the surgery, but they probably didn't know for sure.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown: Ah, I see where you're getting at now. Of course, we can't know anything for sure since it's not really said in the game, but we can always speculate.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By matpaget
    @Laketown said:

it's an insanely douchebag thing to ask about a transgendered person's genitals, so they probably never asked.

I've asked a transgender person about their genitals (apologizing first, in case I offended them) and they were understanding and told me about the surgery and how they do it. I asked them how it felt and they said they felt like their penis was a "ball and chain" they were hindered by their whole life, and they were finally free. Maybe that's what Erica's "freedom" was if she ended up making it to the top.  

I think that she's a perfect example of why Mutton's nightmares were completely wrong. She was being put into these nightmares because she became a woman and, therefore, was "holding back humanity" with her happiness.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said:

they probably just assumed she was doing it because she broke up with someone.

Erica says it explicitly herself, though, if you stay at the bar and sit next to her the night that the conversation first pops up.
    sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sixtyxcelph

So, my questions is who the hell are Lindsay and Martha?  I feel like I missed something.  I am on my second playthrough, but, I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait until something is explained, haha.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

#29  Edited By Lelcar
    @SixtyXCelph said:
    So, my questions is who the hell are Lindsay and Martha?  I feel like I missed something.  I am on my second playthrough, but, I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait until something is explained, haha.
    I think they literally only exist to let you know your progress of the game; how many more nightmares are left, and how many people's stories you've resolved. If they have any relevance to the storyline or fiction of that universe then it's news to me. 

Also, it sucks that Erica was a dude. Didn't see that coming. I thought she was the most appealing girl in that game too.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animasta

why does it suck, exactly? hmm? she IS post-op, toby did have sex with her...

sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @Lelcar: Bummer, I'll be really disappointed if I don't find some reason for them knowing all this shit and being creepy twins.  Also, really, why is that a bummer?  Certainly doesn't make her any less appealing to look at.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Lelcar@SixtyXCelph: Lindsay and Martha are fortune tellers.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By matpaget
    @Lelcar@Laketown@SixtyXCelph@FluxWaveZ:  
    I don't know about you guys, but I was hoping Vincent would work in a 3 way with Lindsay and Martha. 
    Catherine, Katherine, and Erica? Pfft, give me a break.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By FateOfNever
    @MatPaget said:
    I think that she's a perfect example of why Mutton's nightmares were completely wrong. She was being put into these nightmares because she became a woman and, therefore, was "holding back humanity" with her happiness.

Well, actually, Erica would have been involved in the nightmares because she was wasting Toby's potential to progress humanity.  Because Erica doesn't start having nightmares until AFTER she sleeps with Toby, and Toby is considered a man that would keep the human population going forward since he's a loyal guy that will commit himself to a woman.  Erica, however, being a post-op transgender person is incapable of reproducing, therefore, she's "betraying" and wasting Toby's potential.  

Also, I love that they were able to put that (Erica and her situation) into the game without ever making it some horrible or big deal or, for that matter, even ever making it awkward short of the very ending when Toby finally finds out the truth (which, even then he handles it pretty well.) 
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By matpaget
    @FateOfNever: We don't know that she's having the nightmares before Toby. Maybe she didn't want to say anything in fear of Toby finding out. 
    She does seem awfully bothered before the sex with Toby anyway. Maybe she's in double Nightmare mode because of her two crimes (jokes). You never see her in your nightmares.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By SteamPunkJin

While I enjoyed the game a great deal I have to say a great big WHAT THE FUCK to the central motivations of the game. 
    Do the Gods not realize the planet is overpopulated? Can't they call someone to check on these kinds of things? I don't know...run the numbers or something? 

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SuperWristBands

@SteamPunkJin said:

While I enjoyed the game a great deal I have to say a great big WHAT THE FUCK to the central motivations of the game. Do the Gods not realize the planet is overpopulated? Can't they call someone to check on these kinds of things? I don't know...run the numbers or something?

I could be wrong, but I think recently (1+ years ago, at least) Japan had a bit of a "population decline" scare. I'm assuming that's the case but someone here can and hopefully will correct me if I am wrong.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Kayo Police... :)

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FateOfNever
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    While I enjoyed the game a great deal I have to say a great big WHAT THE FUCK to the central motivations of the game.  Do the Gods not realize the planet is overpopulated? Can't they call someone to check on these kinds of things? I don't know...run the numbers or something? 

Realize though that Catherine is set in some sort of future setting/alternate setting.  I mean, there's talk about average people being able to buy trips into space for like 50,000$.  So trying to compare the population numbers of the planet that we have/know is sort of pointless, because for all we know in the world they created, population numbers are a bit more of a concern.  I mean, maybe in their future overpopulation HAD become something of a serious problem that resulted in something happening that has created a major population decrease that, while the world as a whole may not be that concerned about, the gods of their universe do see it as something that needs help.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By donutfever

Wow, until reading this thread, I was under the impression that Jonny had slept with Orlando's wife.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FateOfNever said:
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    While I enjoyed the game a great deal I have to say a great big WHAT THE FUCK to the central motivations of the game.  Do the Gods not realize the planet is overpopulated? Can't they call someone to check on these kinds of things? I don't know...run the numbers or something? 
     Realize though that Catherine is set in some sort of future setting/alternate setting.  I mean, there's talk about average people being able to buy trips into space for like 50,000$.
    There are also space colonies and devices that detect when it's going to stop raining.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By shirogane
    @Sasran said:

@SteamPunkJin said:

While I enjoyed the game a great deal I have to say a great big WHAT THE FUCK to the central motivations of the game. Do the Gods not realize the planet is overpopulated? Can't they call someone to check on these kinds of things? I don't know...run the numbers or something?

I could be wrong, but I think recently (1+ years ago, at least) Japan had a bit of a "population decline" scare. I'm assuming that's the case but someone here can and hopefully will correct me if I am wrong.

It doesn't seem to be set in Japan though. More like, there's overwhelming evidence of it NOT being Japan. 

The whole gods thing was a bit weird, but, my opinion is that it wasn't the gods doing that, that was just what Mutton thought himself, the gods real goal wasn't that, and they were just letting him believe whatever he wanted.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Shirogane said:

@Sasran said:

@SteamPunkJin said:

It doesn't seem to be set in Japan though. More like, there's overwhelming evidence of it NOT being Japan. The whole gods thing was a bit weird, but, my opinion is that it wasn't the gods doing that, that was just what Mutton thought himself, the gods real goal wasn't that, and they were just letting him believe whatever he wanted.

I don't think of it so much as it not being in Japan (which, I agree, is likely not to be) but that the writers are Japanese (I'm assuming) and might have decided to add that into the game as is common with current topics.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FateOfNever
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @FateOfNever said:
    @SteamPunkJin said:
     Realize though that Catherine is set in some sort of future setting/alternate setting.  I mean, there's talk about average people being able to buy trips into space for like 50,000$.
    There are also space colonies and devices that detect when it's going to stop raining.

I forgot about the rain counter.  I had to do a double take when I saw it in the cut-scene.  Then I remembered that they had accessible space travel and everything and went "well, sure, yeah, why not." 
    sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @Shirogane & @Sasran: I could swear I read somewhere that it's set in Chicago?

@FluxWaveZ: Wait, what, where?  I must have missed that every time, haha.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Sooperspy

I thought Erica was a man when she said she was having the nightmares. I wasn't sure, though. That is nuts. Poor, stupid Toby.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.