First review up from IGN - 9.0

• 108 results
#1 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Fresh off the presses. Here's the short version, and here's the long version. Really happy that it seems to have been received well.

9.5Presentation
Catherine’s story is one of the most unique ever told in gaming, and while it’s a little hokey, it’s still a hell of a lot of fun.
8.0Graphics
The anime-style cutscenes and in-game content both look great. There are certainly prettier games out there, but you shouldn’t play Catherine because of how it looks.
9.0Sound
I really adored the soundtrack, and while the voice-acting is at times overdone, it’s still extremely fitting.
8.5Gameplay
Once you get the hang of the puzzle gameplay, it will become second nature to you. Those who aren’t gluttons for punishment may be turned off, though.
9.0Lasting Appeal
Really skilled players could get through the game in under 15 hours, but it'll take more than that for most others.
#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6029 posts) -

Sweet. Just played the demo a few hours ago and liked it a lot. Definitely going to try and Gamefly this one.

#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Huh, that's a better score then I expected from IGN. That's great for now, I can't wait to get my hands on it. 

Well, whenever Atlus publishes here in Europe anyway.

#4 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

That review is incredibly poorly written. From your standard BS gamejourno format:

<Hyperbole>

<Synopsis>

<Hyperbole>

<Bland game description>

<Summary>

To the fact that things like this 

The anime-style cutscenes and in-game content both look great. There are certainly prettier games out there, but you shouldn’t play Catherine because of how it looks.

..Contradict what is being said in the review...

Catherine’s story is one of the most unique ever told in gaming, and while it’s a little hokey, it’s still a hell of a lot of fun.

I really adored the soundtrack, and while the voice-acting is at times overdone, it’s still extremely fitting.

and things like this not even being mentioned in the review. You think there are hokey elements to Catherine's story? Then why the fuck don't you share that with us in the actual review? that seems pretty important to mention.

....Ugh, game journalists. I give Jeff/Ryan a bit of flak from time to time for their writing, but man, looking at their competition......
#5 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Seriously, PROOFREAD YOUR SHIT YOU INCOMPETENT MOTHERFUCKERS

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

That review was pretty bad in terms of writing but I'm glad it got a high score, majority of people only care about score..., because it will give some much deserved attention to the game.

#7 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

I LOVED the demo this is a day one buy for me,I just pre ordered the Love Is Over deluxe edition

#8 Posted by Darkstalker (746 posts) -

please dont turn this into another ign review bitch thread....

i didnt expect reviews this early but im glad to see postive reviews even though id probably enjoy it anyway

#9 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Darkstalker said:

i didnt expect reviews this early but im glad to see postive reviews even though id probably enjoy it anyway

This, I was NOT expecting a review this early but hell, I'm glad it's positive.
#10 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

This is crazy early. Great score!

#11 Posted by bartok (2430 posts) -

IGN reviews are terrible so I will wait until a respectable source reviews it.

#12 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I think I killed Colin Moriarty in Fallout 3. Relevant.

#13 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:

That would be never. 

Surprised to see a review so early. I wonder if Giant Bomb also got their review copy yet. 
#14 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I could not be more excited for Catherine, importing woo!

@rjayb89 said:

Funnily enough, there's also a character in Fallout: New Vegas called Scott Lowe, a similar named man works for IGN's Gear section!

#15 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

I saw in the demo that there is a mode where you only play puzzles. I hope they continue that with future DLC.

#16 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

And apparently Game Informer gave it a 7. I have a feeling the game will actually be docked points because of its difficulty. 

Here's a summary of the GI review by a user called solidsnakex over at NeoGAF:  

The review mainly just complains about it being too hard, and how the thought of another difficult puzzle took him away from enjoying the story. He also complained because the decisions he made caused him to get one of the worst endings in the game, which meant that he'd have to play through a long game (around 12-15h) that has a high difficult level again to get a better ending.

#17 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:

I think that every time I see this guy's name. 

Anyway, glad it reviewed well, though I was never not going to get it.
#18 Posted by endaround (2140 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@eroticfishcake said:

That would be never.  Surprised to see a review so early. I wonder if Giant Bomb also got their review copy yet. 
Siliconera did a quick unboxing so I'm thinking yes.
#19 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1594 posts) -

Geez, it seemed like a fine review to me.

Anyway, pumped.

#20 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@eroticfishcake said:

That would be never.  Surprised to see a review so early. I wonder if Giant Bomb also got their review copy yet. 
They said they have an earlier embargo, I believe. I'm sure they have it, but I think the review won't be up until a week or so.
#21 Posted by HadesTimes (803 posts) -

What all ways bothers me about IGN is that whenever they get a game early enough to do a review this early. It means they made a deal to give it no less than a 8. But I'm sure Catherine is awesome.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@endaround@DonutFever: Cool. If they were actually sent the Love is Over edition, I totally think it deserves a new Mailbag video.
#23 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

sounds good.

#24 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@endaround@DonutFever: Cool. If they were actually sent the Love is Over edition, I totally think it deserves a new Mailbag video.
Same. I'm not too big on the Mailbag videos, but I would love that, just to see what Jeff does with that pillow.  

I'm just dying to see what he would do to it.
#25 Posted by InfernoChaos (34 posts) -

Glad to see its getting good recognition and hopes it continues with other reviews. Like with many games it would be extremely sad for a game to be completely ignored and skipped simply because the review average is something like a 7 and so many people seem to think that's subpar or something and just avoid the game completely

#26 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2315 posts) -

Enough with these IGN review score threads... This is Giantbomb dammit.

#27 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

I'm really thinking about getting this but if I do should I get the collecters edition?
#28 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

Sounds very impressive, well done Atlus.

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
I'm really thinking about getting this but if I do should I get the collecters edition?
No. You should probably pre-order it if you're intending on getting it on day 1 since that'll give you the OST and an art book for free, but the Love is Over edition contains crap.
#30 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
No. You should probably pre-order it if you're intending on getting it on day 1 since that'll give you the OST and an art book for free, but the Love is Over edition contains crap.

oooh I thought the love is over adition came with those
#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said: 
It does, but so does the standard edition. Those two particular items just depend on if you pre-order the game or not.
#32 Posted by MEATBALL (3097 posts) -

This review kind of feels like IGN are just pandering to the Atlas fanbase and Catherine's hype for some hits, but maybe I'm too skeptical about the quality of the game.

#33 Posted by Bocam (3681 posts) -

Saying what's hokey about Catherine would spoil the story

#34 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said: 
It does, but so does the standard edition. Those two particular items just depend on if you pre-order the game or not.

so are you saying with a simple pre order I could get the best parts of that edition
#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said: 
so are you saying with a simple pre order I could get the best parts of that edition
I guess so, but the art book and the OST were never exclusively part of the Love is Over edition in the first place. Check the purchase section of the official website.
#36 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

Can't spell ignorant without IGN, hurr durrr.

#37 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said: 
I guess so, but the art book and the OST were never exclusively part of the Love is Over edition in the first place. Check the purchase section of the official website.

thanks you saved me from spending a fair bit of money (I live in canada so everything costs a little more)
#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said: 
thanks you saved me from spending a fair bit of money (I live in canada so everything costs a little more)
Yeah, I live in Canada, in one of the provinces with the highest sales taxes (Quebec) and I'm going to buy the Love is Over edition on day one so it'll cost me quite a bit.
#39 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said: 
Yeah, I live in Canada, in one of the provinces with the highest sales taxes (Quebec) and I'm going to buy the Love is Over edition on day one so it'll cost me quite a bit.

hooray for hst am I right
#40 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@mutha3: Game reviews - especially by "professionals" - are worthless, they have no connection to how the average game player plays, buys, or values the games they play.  At best they're only good to provide details about any technical faults or gross misrepresentation in the games marketing.  They rarely have any kind of journalism schooling, and at best they majored in English at some party college.
#41 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@DukeTogo: that is very true, but user reviews are a lot worse.
The thing you should ever trust is your own knowledge of what you like.
#42 Posted by joshth (501 posts) -

Indeed the good review while exciting, doesn't really matter to me.  I'm  getting this no matter what.
#43 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

@mewarmo990 said:

The video review is better because you don't have to read anything :)

I'm glad that it was received well as we worked so hard on it, but then again it's just IGN for now. I have a feeling that in the end overall reviews will be mixed because of the difficulty and the fact that some people may not like puzzle gameplay.

Well hey, nothing wrong with that. Some of the best games I've played have received mixed reviews due to silly things like difficulty or gameplay (see Demons Souls). Props to you and everyone over there for getting the game done though, can't wait to play it!

#44 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@benjaebe said:

Fresh off the presses. Here's the short version, and here's the long version. Really happy that it seems to have been received well.

9.5Presentation
8.0Graphics
9.0Sound
8.5Gameplay
Once you get the hang of the puzzle gameplay, it will become second nature to you. Those who aren’t gluttons for punishment may be turned off, though.
9.0Lasting Appeal
Really skilled players could get through the game in under 15 hours, but it'll take more than that for most others.
I'm worried now. Punishing gameplay reminds me of Bayonetta, the only game that I sold before I finished.
#45 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@Aus_azn said:

@benjaebe said:

9.5Presentation
8.0Graphics
9.0Sound
8.5Gameplay
9.0Lasting Appeal
I'm worried now. Punishing gameplay reminds me of Bayonetta, the only game that I sold before I finished.

What the hell. I didn't play it but I do know it had both an easy and very easy setting.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (23979 posts) -

@mewarmo990 said:

The video review is better because you don't have to read anything :)

I'm glad that it was received well as we worked so hard on it, but then again it's just IGN for now. I have a feeling that in the end overall reviews will be mixed because of the difficulty and the fact that some people may not like puzzle gameplay.

Anyone that gives the game a poor review just because it's a puzzle game probably shouldn't be writing reviews for a living.

#47 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

The game most definitely intrigues me, although it's something I'd probably rather watch than spend $60 on playing. 

Hint, hint. 

Nudge. Nudge. 

Wink, wink.

#48 Posted by MiniPato (2721 posts) -

"You've never played anything like this before."

Umm, I'm pretty sure I played a puzzle game like this before, just not with the story.

I kind of stopped reading IGN reviews. I came to realize how, not poor, but how average the writing is. While that shouldn't mean that their opinion isn't valid, I have a hard time taking it seriously. But good score nonetheless.

#49 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1256 posts) -

Easy seemed pretty lenient in the demo. I mean, there was a "undo move" button! Any criticism on difficulty is probably going to be based on normal.

Regardless, I'm going to buy this day one!

#50 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

And apparently Game Informer gave it a 7. I have a feeling the game will actually be docked points because of its difficulty.

Here's a summary of the GI review by a user called solidsnakex over at NeoGAF:

The review mainly just complains about it being too hard, and how the thought of another difficult puzzle took him away from enjoying the story. He also complained because the decisions he made caused him to get one of the worst endings in the game, which meant that he'd have to play through a long game (around 12-15h) that has a high difficult level again to get a better ending.

If this was really the reasoning behind the docking of points, that's pretty pathetic. The game is being touted as extremely difficult. Thus you should be expecting extreme difficulty. And for gods sakes whose fault is it that he made dumb decisions? I almost hope the NeoGAF guy is lying because I usually really respect how fair Game Informer is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.