Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

First review up from IGN - 9.0

• 108 results
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Am I the only one who just wants to watch the Catherine anime/cutscenes without playing anything?

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By TheKing

Awesome! Can't wait for this.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Mcfart

Quote here sums it up:

Once you get through any given night's puzzles, you'll be back in the real world, able to explore the story once more. I felt a real eagerness as I played through the puzzles simply because I wanted to learn more about the plot, and while I think that the puzzles are difficult to the degree that they'll turn some gamers off, I suspect that most players will feel a real rewarding sense of accomplishment by getting deeper into the tale. If anything, the game's compelling subject matter and amazing cast of characters will have you keep trying on those pesky puzzles just to see another day.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Aus_azn said: 
    I'm worried now. Punishing gameplay reminds me of Bayonetta, the only game that I sold before I finished.
    If you found Bayonetta to be so hard that you sold it before you finished it, you probably shouldn't get Catherine.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ: Not really as Catherine's easy mode is really fucking easy

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Bocam said:

And I assure you that it's still much harder than Bayonetta's Very Easy mode.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ: Is that the one handed mode? Bit really Catherine really isn't that hard with the patch applied to it, Drink Assist fucking breaks the game.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By Catolf
    @Bocam said:

@FluxWaveZ: Is that the one handed mode? Bit really Catherine really isn't that hard with the patch applied to it, Drink Assist fucking breaks the game.

even with the patch I'm having issues on easy mode. It dosen't matter how many pillow's it gives if your just going to die over and over and over again. (which I do a lot.) I have currently 99 pillows and that dosen't make the game easier, just keeps me from getting a complete game over. XD
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Sayishere

Im glad it got reviewed well, i hope others give the game some justice :d

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mutha3
    @Catolf said:
    @Bocam said:

even with the patch I'm having issues on easy mode. It dosen't matter how many pillow's it gives if your just going to die over and over and over again. (which I do a lot.) I have currently 99 pillows and that dosen't make the game easier, just keeps me from getting a complete game over. XD
    Not the pillows, the drinks. You have to activate them seperatly through some arcane method, but after you do, you can spam them and Vincent will jump 3 blocks at a time.

Apparantly, that lets you blow past the game.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By LiquidPrince

Awesome. I had an imported copy when it came out and I also have the Limited Edition preordered.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3 said:
    @Catolf said:
    @Bocam said:

Not the pillows, the drinks. You have to activate them seperatly through some arcane method, but after you do, you can spam them and Vincent will jump 3 blocks at a time.  Apparantly, that lets you blow past the game.
    Ohh, i wasn't aware (drink wise) that those could be spammed to get you through. Well that seems cheap.. No matter how bad I do I won't be using that thing.. takes the accomplishment out of it.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Grissefar: I played it on Normal, that explains a lot. I just thought Easy and Very Easy would gyp me of too much of the game's experience. And I was an achievement whore back then, because I had it on 360. Meh, whatever.

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @Bocam said:

I played the Japanese demo and didn't notice a difficulty changer. If I found it to be difficult on what I presume the default setting was, am I screwed?

Meh, I'll probably Youtube the story then.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By SlasherMan

I don't care what kind of reviews this gets honestly, I was completely sold once I played the demo.
    Just have to find a way to get this. I'll probably wait a few months so I can import it cheap.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By mariussmit

The real reason to read the IGN review is to read the discussion thread at the bottom where someone misspelled "pointless" as "piontles" twice and see the mocking that ensued.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Nekroskop

Meanwhile in Europe

No Caption Provided
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MikeGosot
    @the_hiro_abides said:

Easy seemed pretty lenient in the demo. I mean, there was a "undo move" button! Any criticism on difficulty is probably going to be based on normal.

Regardless, I'm going to buy this day one!

The North American version will have the "undo move" on Normal, too, which can do 9 undo's(Do undo's, wow.) if i'm correct.
    DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Note to self, unless IGN puts a review out 2 weeks before the release date they think the game sucks.

Another note, a review written by Colin Moriaty for the PS3, <lays down caution sign>. Even though he never says anything about the 360 version.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#69  Edited By golguin

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Aus_azn said:
    I'm worried now. Punishing gameplay reminds me of Bayonetta, the only game that I sold before I finished.
    If you found Bayonetta to be so hard that you sold it before you finished it, you probably shouldn't get Catherine.

Bayonetta wasn't hard. It was fairly simple to S rank that game, but this is coming from someone who is pretty familiar with the DMC series. A good game for gauging difficulty is Super Meat Boy and from what I've seen of the game and playing of the demo I can say that Catherine is no SMB.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @golguin said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Aus_azn said:

Bayonetta wasn't hard. It was fairly simple to S rank that game, but this is coming from someone who is pretty familiar with the DMC series. A good game for gauging difficulty is Super Meat Boy and from what I've seen of the game and playing of the demo I can say that Catherine is no SMB.

I think you just confirmed what I was saying.
    Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Strife777

Sa-weet!

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Cathryn

@HadesTimes: Yeah, every time I see an IGN score of 9 or 10, the same thing pops in to my head as well.

Glad to see it's getting good scores and am now getting a little intimidated by the puzzle difficulty. If @Catolf is having problems on Easy, then I'm going to die hundreds upon hundreds of times.

I will persevere.

Though maybe it's time I checked out the demo :/

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Hailinel

@Aus_azn said:

@Grissefar: I played it on Normal, that explains a lot. I just thought Easy and Very Easy would gyp me of too much of the game's experience. And I was an achievement whore back then, because I had it on 360. Meh, whatever.

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @Bocam said:

I played the Japanese demo and didn't notice a difficulty changer. If I found it to be difficult on what I presume the default setting was, am I screwed? Meh, I'll probably Youtube the story then.

The difficulty was retooled in the North American version based on feedback from the Japanese release. Still hard, but the difficulty settings have been adjusted and some of the more frustrating puzzle sections were redesigned.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By WickedCestus

Just remembered that this game comes out in 1.5 weeks! Super pumped!

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Catolf
    @Hailinel said:

@Aus_azn said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @Bocam said:

I played the Japanese demo and didn't notice a difficulty changer. If I found it to be difficult on what I presume the default setting was, am I screwed? Meh, I'll probably Youtube the story then.

The difficulty was retooled in the North American version based on feedback from the Japanese release. Still hard, but the difficulty settings have been adjusted and some of the more frustrating puzzle sections were redesigned.

they weren't redesigned by much, just tweeked in places from japanese feedback.

@Cathryn said:

Glad to see it's getting good scores and am now getting a little intimidated by the puzzle difficulty. If @Catolf is having problems on Easy, then I'm going to die hundreds upon hundreds of times.

I will persevere.

Though maybe it's time I checked out the demo :/

XD I'm sitting at day six, so far, day five was the WORSSSSTTTTT for me. Oh man, when you reach day five you gotta tell me how you do. XD, I think for the boss stage it took me a total of 23 tries. But you do learn a lot while playing lol I know I'll hate myself but I'm playing on normal for the NA release.
    Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By Cathryn

@Catolf: lol, I'll make note of it and let you know ;D I'll be starting the game on the 31st, probably, once I get my TV to myself (have some relatives staying for a few days, what great timing) and I plan to finish in as few sittings as possible, but who knows what'll happen.

Definitely playing on Easy, I think XD

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#77  Edited By project343

@mutha3: It was written by Colin Moriarty--in my opinion, one of the weaker critical opinion-sharers at IGN. But still, I'll gladly take a positive Catherine review.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By kagato

@FluxWaveZ said:

@eroticfishcake said:

Well, whenever Atlus publishes here in Europe anyway.

That would be never. Surprised to see a review so early. I wonder if Giant Bomb also got their review copy yet.

Yeah i think we have very little hope of seeing this in the UK or in the rest of europe so if you have access to a PS3 the US copy is probably the way to to. Atlus really dont like europe very much lol.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @kagato said: 

Yeah i think we have very little hope of seeing this in the UK or in the rest of europe so if you have access to a PS3 the US copy is probably the way to to. Atlus really dont like europe very much lol.

I wouldn't say that. I just said that Atlus would never publish in Europe because they simply don't operate their at all. It would be up to a third party to publish in that region and if the game is a success in NA, it probably will eventually be released in Europe.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @kagato said: 

I wouldn't say that. I just said that Atlus would never publish in Europe because they simply don't operate their at all. It would be up to a third party to publish in that region and if the game is a success in NA, it probably will eventually be released in Europe.
    Considering that's what generally happens with all Atlus games, expect no different with Catherine. If you really, really want to play it though, importing a copy from the US will be your best bet. Otherwise, sit tight cross your fingers as I am. EVERY DAY.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Catolf
    @Cathryn said:

@Catolf: lol, I'll make note of it and let you know ;D I'll be starting the game on the 31st, probably, once I get my TV to myself (have some relatives staying for a few days, what great timing) and I plan to finish in as few sittings as possible, but who knows what'll happen.

Definitely playing on Easy, I think XD

Can't wait to see your thoughts on it, easy is your best bet for first playthrough to learn all the mechanics at least.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Catolf

so far so good on reviews

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By kishinfoulux

This game looks awful. Oh wait it's Atlus it might be wonderful.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mutha3

I present to you, the first well-written review of Catherine:

http://www.1up.com/reviews/catherine-review

From Jeremy Parish. Notice how many % of the text is spent as a synopsis or summary of the game(hint: its not  90%). Can't say its unexpected, though, Parish has always been a good writer.

@FluxWaveZ

said:

Gamepro review gave it 4 stars out of 5.

"The story is easily the most interesting part"

*spends all of two paragraphs talking about whether the story works or not and one on the gameplay*
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Bocam
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3: That 1 up review was very well written, I was surprised how good it was.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#88  Edited By Pepsiman

Bah! These people are all late! I turned in my English review (that isn't accessible on this game's page now) months ago! Now is when they decide to play catchup!?

Slowpokes, I say! Slowpokes!

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Catolf

No one watch the game Trailers review, it's full of spoilers -_-

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Catolf said:

No one watch the game Trailers review, it's full of spoilers -_-

Indeed. I haven't watched it, but others have complained about the same thing and GT always manage to spoil something about the most interesting games. The P3 FES GT review also had several spoilers. 

• 1UP gave the game an A.
    • Destructoid gave the game 9/10.
    • IGN gave the game 9/10.
    • Game Informer gave the game 7/10.
    • GamePro gave the game 8/10.
    • Game Trailers gave the game 7.8/10.
    • EGM gave the game 8.5/10.
    • OXM gave the game 8/10.
    Catherine currently has a Metacriitic score of 83.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#91  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Glad to see the game is being generally well received by critics. I'm going to try to avoid all media coverage of the game, including Gametrailers' spoiler-filled video review, until i've played the game myself.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Catolf
    @FluxWaveZ: It's pretty bad, it's like the picked it out purposely.. cause it's not just one spoiler it's like four back to back withint he first half of the review, I gave up.. i feel dirty -__-

@Sanj: Defiantly wise.. I'm always too curious for my own good about what people say about games i'm interested in.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By buft

I've ragged on this game before but after playing through P3P and watching the persona endurance run i kinda get what they are doing and would love to see a European release

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Bocam

@Catolf: Did they actually say plot points or just showed video?

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Catolf
    @Bocam: Video with sound, they didn't explain it but a certain sheep does a bit. 

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Bocam

@Catolf

The man in a mask is far from the last boss of the game. Atlus showed Katherine and Catherine fighting in one of the trailers. You were only spoiled on one thing but not everything about that one thing

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Catolf
    @Bocam: Actually in the trailers I was only shown the argument, not..that.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Bocam

@Catolf said:

@Bocam: Actually in the trailers I was only shown the argument, not..that.

Trust me you haven't been spoiled on anything important

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Catolf
    @Bocam: I'll take your word for it, I hope not. Only got 6 or so days left, I know I won't come in 'clean' but I just don't want it all spoiled for me. XP
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Bocam

I also I suggest people who can play without subtitles do so as that way you get the same effect the Japanese version had with キャサリン

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.