First scenes of english VA

• 109 results
#1 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

This was worth its own thread, I felt.

Linkified 1

Impressions:
Vincent: Troy Baker is the fucking man. He sounds great as Vincent. Did a way better job than I expected, and I expected a lot, 'cause I like that dude.
Catherine: She's okay for the character I guess....I think I prefer her JP  voice, but her enligsh one is okay as well.
Katherine: Is great as well. Her JP VA was tough competition, but I think Ruff is up to par.

...I'm also impressed that Vinny said "fuck". Dropping f-bombs are we?  Good job Atlus.
#2 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Not surprised by the quality voice work. Atlus USA seriously has one of the best localisation teams around.

#3 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Missed a video:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/catherine/video/6313420/catherine--cant-chain-him-down-cutscene?tag=related_video%3Btitle%3B4

#4 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

" The lip syncing is bugging me....god is it bugging me.If that's how it's going to stay I don't think I'll be playing it in english if I get it. Too much emphasis on the cutscenes and drama to get bugged over lip syncing. "

The game is still two months away, and they said they're going to lip-synch it into english, so I'm sure it will be fine eventually.

Its very noticable for now, yeah. Oh, and..

Orlando: O'liam still sounds constipated.
#5 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Troy Baker is the man. Let's not forget he did this as well, the best part about Soul Eater. So funny.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -
@mutha3:

Haha, yeah that's why I deleted my post.

The voices do sound really good though. They did a good job. As Atlus always does.
#7 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

Very impressive.

I'm excited.
#8 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2117 posts) -

Man this year just keeps getting better.

#9 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Maybe because i have been watching some episodes buy vincent sounds like Greed from fullmetal alchmist brother hood, i think it fits nicely.

Catherine sounds a liitle to much like Rise

seems like a good cast so far
#10 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" Missed a video: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/catherine/video/6313420/catherine--cant-chain-him-down-cutscene?tag=related_video%3Btitle%3B4 "
My body is ready.
#11 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Already pre ordered special edition wish it came with vincents jacket :(

#12 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Yeah, Atlus has definitely got one of the best localization teams out there. The VA's sound just right, and the script is well-done too. Can't wait :)

#13 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

Wasn't that Chie in the second clip? The one talking about the dream.

Anyway, looks great. Hopefully we'll get this in Europe and hopefully the gameplay will be fun, but I can't say I'm that convinced it will be.

#14 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

And here is a guided preview of the game:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/catherine/news/6313438/catherine-exclusive-preview?sid=6313438&mode=previews

Neato! It always frightens me how Aram looks like a separated twin brother to me.

EDIT: Only two minutes in, and christ is that Yuri Lowenthall?!:(

WOMAN'S WRESTLING

American version gets a "very easy" difficulty

"owned" aram i am dissapoint

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

Not digging Catherine's voice.

#16 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -
#17 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Cool, im mean im pretty impressed

#18 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
#19 Edited by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Wow, this is some really good stuff. I was afraid the english voices wouldn't turn out good but this is just great.

#20 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

Troy Baker fit right away, just perfect. 

I don't know about Baily for Catherine though. She sounds too shy; I wanted a more forceful and seductive souding Catherine. 
#21 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Yeah... I'm going to play the game with Japanese audio.

#22 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@zyn said:
" Yeah... I'm going to play the game with Japanese audio. "
There probably(coughdefinitelycough) won't be an option if you intend to do that with the english version of the game. Its been(or going to be)  lipsynched.
#23 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Damn, that is really great.

#24 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @zyn said:
There probably(coughdefinitelycough) won't be an option if you intend to do that with the english version of the game. Its been(or going to be)  lipsynched. "
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  :(
#25 Posted by obcdexter (576 posts) -

Nice, I like it thus far.

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

Was waiting for so long for him to tell Catherine to GET BENT OVER.

#27 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

I'm so tired of hearing Liam O'Brien's voice after playing New Vegas.

#28 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Liam O'Brian's in this? Awesome. I dig the hell out of his voice.
These ENG scenes have got me more than excited now.

#29 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" I'm so tired of hearing Liam O'Brien's voice after playing New Vegas. "
I can never shake the image in my head that he's recording this from a toilet booth after eating a month old burrito or something.....
@zyn said:
" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  :( "

Eh. I dig the english VA, and being able to actually understand what they are saying means a lot.
#30 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

Looks well done/

#31 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

For a game like this I generally would prefer the original Japanese VA but since it's Atlus we're talking about I'll let them get away with it 'cause damn Troy Baker is really nailing it. Also, Liam O'Brien or as I like to call, Akihiko. Not so sure about Bailey for Katherine but it's still passable.

#32 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Awesome voiceacting as expected.

#33 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" Also, Liam O'Brien or as I like to call, Akihiko. "
I like to call him Ieyasu, 'cause after that was when I started to notice his voice all over the place.
#34 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -
@Vexed said:
" @mutha3 said:
" Missed a video: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/catherine/video/6313420/catherine--cant-chain-him-down-cutscene?tag=related_video%3Btitle%3B4 "
My body is ready. "
#35 Posted by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

I know it was already mentioned above, but in case anyone had any lingering doubts, I'd like to reiterate there will unfortunately not be a Japanese language option for this game. According to the moderators (i.e. Atlus USA staff) on the their forum, it's largely due to a question of royalties. Apparently, Atlus USA had no input into this decision. It's too bad, really, because Yamadera-san is practically a legend.

#36 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

I can hear the Kanji.

#37 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @zyn said:
There probably(coughdefinitelycough) won't be an option if you intend to do that with the english version of the game. Its been(or going to be)  lipsynched. "
Even if it's lipsynched, it looks kinda off. I don't know if it's the art style or what but it just doesn't look like it's for English.
#38 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -
@Devoid said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" Also, Liam O'Brien or as I like to call, Akihiko. "
I like to call him Ieyasu, 'cause after that was when I started to notice his voice all over the place. "
patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter
#39 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@themangalist said:

"Even if it's lipsynched, it looks kinda off. I don't know if it's the art style or what but it just doesn't look like it's for English. "

Like I said, this game isn't out for another 3 months and this footage is probably older than that.

And it doesn't look "off". It looks terribad. But again, lip-synch probably hasn't been implemented yet. Art style has nothing to with that.
@AlisterCat said:
" I can hear the Kanji. "

A little bit, yeah.
#40 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

I like everyone's VO except for Katherine's. Maybe I'll get used to it eventually, but her voice seems too young to me, like others have said, or something.

#41 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

So I was right about Toby being Yuri? Awesome, I couldn't hear Jonathan cause Aram was talking but it sounded like a familiar voice.

#42 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
That's creepy to me, because I hear Kanji and Risa talking, but I'm seeing different characters! My mind can't comprehend it! 
#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" Not surprised by the quality voice work. Atlus USA seriously has one of the best localisation teams around. "
Instead of saying it directly, I'll just post something they've done.

Still, though, although it takes a bit to shake off memories of the Japanese cutscenes, once you do, this is high quality work.
#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Underachiever007 said:
" Not surprised by the quality voice work. Atlus USA seriously has one of the best localisation teams around. "
Instead of saying it directly, I'll just post something they've done.

Still, though, although it takes a bit to shake off memories of the Japanese cutscenes, once you do, this is high quality work. "
What does posting a game more than a decade old prove?
#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:

That I'm not as obvious as you'd think. Also, I'm not gonna dig through tons of YouTube videos just for that one message.
#46 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

Now that I know what is going on in the cut scenes I think I have figured out plot elements they don't hide well. 

#47 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Wow this game is VERY anime.

#48 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" Wow this game is VERY anime. "
Heh, you don't say.
#49 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: That's a fairly old game. Most of their recent output has been pretty high quality.
#50 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -
@Underachiever007:

Don't make me say it. We all know where this is going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.