For A Cartoon Lady, Catherine Is Pretty Hot

#451 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

CANT WAIT!

#452 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -

So does anyone know how the fight are supposed to work in this? They talked about fighting giant hands with a sheep-murdering fork, but all he's wielding is a pillow. Is this gonna be like Shattered Memories?

#453 Posted by Starklight (61 posts) -

This trailer makes me think Catherine is a Succubus.

#454 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -
@DonutFever: We'll likely know more when the website opens, which could be any minute now.
#455 Posted by Zaapp1 (657 posts) -

The return of Atlus J-Rap, huzzah!

#456 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -
@endaround: That made me check the site again, there's a date that says it opens tomorrow. 
#457 Posted by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -
@ashogo said:
" @DeadMonkeys said:

" YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO "

yo yo, countin' the sheep, 1-2-3 gettin soaked in my sheets. "
Came into this topic just to say this.  Luckily you got here before me.
#458 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@aurahack said:
" Not to be a jerk face, but Atlus did direct an action adventure game before... 

It was called Baroque and it is garbage. :< Consider me tentatively excited, simply by fact that I am head over heels for Persona. :/ "
Wha? no. Baroque was kinda cool.
#459 Posted by johnrogan (18 posts) -

Reminds of when I was infatuated with Mai when I was 12.

#460 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -
@Nettacki said:
" @aurahack said:
" Not to be a jerk face, but Atlus did direct an action adventure game before... 

It was called Baroque and it is garbage. :< Consider me tentatively excited, simply by fact that I am head over heels for Persona. :/ "
Wha? no. Baroque was kinda cool. "
Baroque wasn't even made by Atlus.  Atlus USA only published it in the U.S.
#461 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Nettacki said:
" @aurahack said:

Wha? no. Baroque was kinda cool. "
Baroque wasn't even made by Atlus.  Atlus USA only published it in the U.S. "
I believe everyone needs to brush up on their faq on what Atlus has Made and what they have published. because they publish a LOT of games, Check Odin Sphere for instance. Vanillaware Made it, Atlus published and localized it. You can't say Odin Sphere is a Atlus title, because it isn't...

The only think to my knowledge Atlus does outside of SMT is Trauma Team, and now Catherine.
#462 Posted by Baggykins (824 posts) -

gotta love that soundtrack xD

#463 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -
#464 Posted by President_Barackbar (3432 posts) -

Atlus is like the David Lynch of the Japanese game market, and  even as someone who isn't into anime at all, they are absolutely fascinating to me.

#465 Posted by VanTesla (246 posts) -

Theory: Catherine is a young woman that possess supernatural powers that are like the powers Freddy Krueger    have. She either knows she has them or uses them without knowing she is the one killing people in their dreams. She enjoys playing with Vincent for reasons unknown yet.  

Is she a psycho path or a victim of her own power? 

Either way I would stay clear from her.
#466 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

The trailer is simultaneously one of the weirdest and most japanese things I've ever seen

#467 Edited by Prolix (188 posts) -

The production values are through the roof!  That's an amazing trailer.  But I can't tell whats interactive and whats show.   Got to hand it to the Japanese.  No one else treats electronic mediums with the respect that they do.

I wish American and European developers were competent enough to produce games on that level.  I prefer western themes, but love eastern design.    

Clearly they are still decades ahead of us.   Hope to see more of this and by more I mean Endurance run.  Jeff and intern Vinny that is.  Nothing else will do.

#468 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

Props to Atlus for dropping some of Bach's "Little Fugue" on us.

#469 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -
@Prolix: I'm not sure that they're decades ahead of us, but ya, they make good CG.
#470 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -
@Gregomasta said:
" Props to Atlus for dropping some of Bach's "Little Fugue" on us. "
Holy crap, thanks!  I know some people mentioned that Bach music was used in the trailer, but I didn't know that it was that particular song.  I really like it.
#471 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: For sure man, that's quite possibly my favorite Bach piece.  I want to hear the entire piece in the game however, it'd go well with this game.
#472 Posted by BigDre (116 posts) -

I think I need Japanese hip-hop in my life.
#473 Posted by dprabon (314 posts) -
@Jeff: Perhaps a candidate for another Endurance Run?
#474 Posted by zepp (230 posts) -

I think I could play this game for the zombie-like sheep, alone.

#475 Posted by Woodtsunami (188 posts) -

Wha- U- I- Umm.... Sooooo........

#476 Posted by mattysen (822 posts) -

Idolmasters having sex and dancing sheep -- Holy fuck this looks AWESHOME!!! Reminds me slightly of Twin Peaks, being crazy in the land of dreams

#477 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

Really hoping for an eventual US release for this game -- it looks really, really interesting.

#478 Posted by d_breeze (223 posts) -

oh man this game looks right up my alley plot and design wise, I'm not really into action-adverture games but this is one that looks interesting =D 

the dark and creepy theme and designs that I see in images beckon to me... o.0;;    

#479 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

While I can't say much about the game itself (like no one can really), I'm really interested in it nontheless due to it being Atlus' first game on PS3 / X360, and the trailer is really something else. Yes, I'm a bit worried they take the whole "sex thing" a bit too far for their own good, as it's obvious that western censorship allows us to kill and murder however much we want, but having nudity and sex in a game is making baby jesus cry. I'm fairly disappointed that it's not a RPG alá Persona series, but I'm still glad Atlus is (finally) making the leap to the HD consoles with a promise that we'll most likely see more in the future.

Regarding the touchy subject of Endurance Run, which I know the staff and moderators absolutly hate when we as forumusers keep bringing up, is that I'm fairly sure we won't see Catherine featured in one. Or at least not in the near future. This is Atlus' maiden ship to the HD world, and I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be too happy if a website (IE GiantBomb) would broadcast their entire game in a playthrough, at least not close to its release. Maybe a year or so after its release like Persona 4? Who knows. And yes I know they did just that to Deadly Premonition, but DP was a low-budget game no one knew about which sold around 80.000 copies in the US, and I'm fairly sure (and hopeful) Atlus will recieve a bit more attention than that.

Hell, right now we don't even know if and when we'll see Catherine outside of Japan. One thing that makes me optimistic is that there's a fair amount of english text in the trailer (the part with the newsreport, etc), which could mean they've prepared for releasing it overseas from the get-go.

Long story short: I'm freaking excited over this title. :)

#480 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Note: Japanese release, PLEASE ADDS IN SUBS so PS3 owners can import copies....that is all.

#481 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -
@CrazyChris: The P4 ER started in February, P4 was released in the beginning of December.
#482 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@Prolix said:
" The production values are through the roof!  That's an amazing trailer.  But I can't tell whats interactive and whats show.   Got to hand it to the Japanese.  No one else treats electronic mediums with the respect that they do.  I wish American and European developers were competent enough to produce games on that level.  I prefer western themes, but love eastern design.     Clearly they are still decades ahead of us.   Hope to see more of this and by more I mean Endurance run.  Jeff and intern Vinny that is.  Nothing else will do. "
Hideo Kojima once admitted that western game design has finally overcome eastern design in terms of  technology used (just look at Starcraft II and its cutscenes compared to Final Fantasy XIII and its cutscenes)
#483 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

According to Kotaku, the game is rated 15+ over in Japan. I don't know how they rate stuff over there, but I guess this means there won't be any real nudity.

>_>

#484 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -
@SpiralStairs said:

" According to Kotaku, the game is rated 15+ over in Japan. I don't know how they rate stuff over there, but I guess this means there won't be any real nudity.   >_> "

According to Kotaku, this is the next Persona game. 

But they're right to say Cero: C is basically 15+.  Full nudity is not possible for a retail console game in Japan.
#485 Posted by Y2Ken (1067 posts) -

Very excited. Also, this should totally be an Endurance Run.

#486 Posted by zomgenius (56 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm not quite sure if it'll be more of a rent or buy thing... Assuming it DOES come to the US eventually. Meh.

#487 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -
@danpat177 said:
" NAKED LADYS CREEPY ANIMALS SEX yep thats Japan  "
Shit I need to move there ASAP!
#488 Posted by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -
@Nettacki said:
" @Prolix said:
" The production values are through the roof!  That's an amazing trailer.  But I can't tell whats interactive and whats show.   Got to hand it to the Japanese.  No one else treats electronic mediums with the respect that they do.  I wish American and European developers were competent enough to produce games on that level.  I prefer western themes, but love eastern design.     Clearly they are still decades ahead of us.   Hope to see more of this and by more I mean Endurance run.  Jeff and intern Vinny that is.  Nothing else will do. "
Hideo Kojima once admitted that western game design has finally overcome eastern design in terms of  technology used (just look at Starcraft II and its cutscenes compared to Final Fantasy XIII and its cutscenes) "
I believe he was talking about art design, and despite my dislike of 80% of Japanese game culture, they still outstrip the west in terms of a focus on art design.
#489 Posted by QuSpec (11 posts) -

Nice, the same typ of musik as the Persona games :P

#490 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Awesome!
#491 Posted by harinosho (593 posts) -
@SpiralStairs said:
" According to Kotaku, the game is rated 15+ over in Japan. I don't know how they rate stuff over there, but I guess this means there won't be any real nudity.   >_> "
it'll be 18+ when its over the japanese borders. 
#492 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -
@harinosho said:
" @SpiralStairs said:
it'll be 18+ when its over the japanese borders.  "
I doubt it. It'll have some sexual references obviously, but it's not a fucking hentai game.
#493 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
"
 Awesome!
"
I want that poster!

@SpiralStairs said:
" @harinosho said:
" @SpiralStairs said:
it'll be 18+ when its over the japanese borders.  "
I doubt it. It'll have some sexual references obviously, but it's not a fucking hentai game. "

As stated it's not a hentai, it'll be rated M just like the other ATLUS titles, Persona 3, Persona 4, DDS, DDS-2, Raido, Nocturne ect ect..
#494 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -
@Catolf:  Me too!
#495 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Catolf:  Me too! "
I hope, if this game comes, pre order bonus is a wall scroll of this, that way it will last forever... and ever... XD
#496 Posted by televisionomy (90 posts) -

I think funky student let me sniff a bit to much.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.