I will translate the demo

#1 Edited by Vitor (2810 posts) -

So, if anyone puts up a video of them playing through Catherine on the PS3 demo out today, I will attempt to translate the entire thing (menus and dialogue etc.) as I could use the practice and have a free afternoon tomorrow. Have no access to a PS3 myself at the moment otherwise I'd do it directly.

Decent quality would help as would enabling subtitles (should be  under "字幕" in the options screen and yes "はい" should enable and no "いいえ"  disable. 

EDIT:   Cerogravian beat me to it and uploaded an awesome translation that you can find a few posts down. Nicely detailed and better than anything I could likely have rushed through between assignments - props to him and be sure to check it out if you're interested!

#2 Edited by m1k3 (1325 posts) -

just a heads up, theres a lot of text and dialouge in the demo. more cutscences than gameplay. i'd help you out but i dont have any capture equipment.

#3 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -
@m1k3 said:
" just a heads up, theres a lot of text and dialouge in the demo. more cutscences than gameplay. i'd help you out but i dont have any capture equipment. "
Lots of text is fine - it's the colloquial spoken Japanese that will cause problems for me (hence the request for subtitles - that way I can get the gist across, if not the crazy nuance in all the various auxiliary verbs and such).
#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

O shit the demo is out now try to go download it.

#5 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -

Not surprisingly one is up already.  Seems to be encoded rather well.  

#6 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -
@endaround: Thanks. Will get on that tomorrow.
#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@Vitor: I'll be sure to check out whatever you're able to translate, cause damn. So confusing. :P
#8 Edited by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

I just couldn't keep my hands away from this, though quality is quite lacking at certain sections, but I blame it on being past 3am over here...
I did a quick translation of everything in the video. Everything besides the text-messages toward the end, my eyes are too tired, if Vitor doesn't deliver I'll get on them tomorrow. Most of this went ok, though there are two quite visible sections where I wasn't quite sure what was going on. Oh, and I named the gentle voice that we've experienced on the official site "Guide Sheep", let's hope it's not blasphemy.

Here we go:

#9 Posted by m1k3 (1325 posts) -

all i know is that when Vincent is talking to Katherine, there is a line where he talks about the "dream" he had.

#10 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -
@Cerogravian: Wow thanks for that. I was able to make out bits of the dialog but I couldn't quite figure out what exactly was being said; this is a big help. Can't wait for the final game!
#11 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

...Realised that the second part was linked on the youtube-page, so I went through it quickly. Don't have much time to spend today other than this though:

Now if only I had time to play it myself...
#12 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Awesome job with the translation.

#13 Posted by Gaff (1652 posts) -
#14 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@Gaff: Locke, of course! I'm a damned idiot :P
Thanks for the help!
#15 Posted by jasonlblair (74 posts) -

Thank you for the translation, Cerogravian!

#16 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -
@Vitor: 

I totally appreciate you're doing this. Let us know when you're done. *Followed*
#17 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

It's worth noting that in the trailer that plays at the end, Katherine is in the dream world: 

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@DonutFever: There's that and also the shadow/energy ball that appears in the Stray Sheep at the very end that is also worth pointing out.
#19 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Didn't notice that, flashed by too quickly I guess.
#20 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Yup, was neat to see that whatever force is doing this will be affecting the real world as well, and hopefully avoid the "but it was ALL a dream"-thing...
#21 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
" It's worth noting that in the trailer that plays at the end, Katherine is in the dream world: 

"
I think I read somewhere that you will encounter other characters in the dream world. Can't remember where I read it though.
#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@XenoNick said:
" I think I read somewhere that you will encounter other characters in the dream world. Can't remember where I read it though. "
Clearly demonstrated in the fourth trailer, Vincent will indeed encounter people he meets at the Stray Sheep in his dreams. 

Todd

Sheep Todd

Orlando

Sheep Orlando

Johnny

Sheep Johnny
#23 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @DonutFever: There's that and also the shadow/energy ball that appears in the Stray Sheep at the very end that is also worth pointing out. "
 @Cerogravian said:
" @FluxWaveZ: Yup, was neat to see that whatever force is doing this will be affecting the real world as well, and hopefully avoid the "but it was ALL a dream"-thing... "
I'm callin' it:

The ants did it.
#24 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@XenoNick: I read that on 1UP, but I thought it just meant his bar buddies.
#25 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@mutha3: Can't call it, but it has my vote and support!
#26 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@XenoNick said:
" @DonutFever said:
" It's worth noting that in the trailer that plays at the end, Katherine is in the dream world: 

"
I think I read somewhere that you will encounter other characters in the dream world. Can't remember where I read it though. "
Yeah but everyone is a sheep... so I think this might be a tiny spoiler, mostly if you look at the persona Trailers/beginnings they give you a end glimpse though you really don't notice it until you beat the game.
#27 Edited by Godot (208 posts) -

Many thanks, Cerogravian. I'm looking forward to this the more I see of it.

#28 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -
@Cerogravian said:
" ...Realised that the second part was linked on the youtube-page, so I went through it quickly. Don't have much time to spend today other than this though:

Now if only I had time to play it myself... "
Well, damn. Looks like you beat me to it - makes my efforts somewhat redundant now.  

Oh well, guess it just means I get more time to play Dead Space 2 instead of the couple of hours it would take to do this :P
#29 Posted by Camosid (110 posts) -
I am currently subtitling a playthrough I recorded using  this bizness. All translation credit shall go to Cerogravian. Ill post it on the TSGPress youtube channel tonight once I finish.
#30 Posted by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -

Awesome job on the translation Cerogravian
Played through the demo about 3 times. Seriously loved it. Very much looking forward to getting my import copy in a few weeks and seeing where things go from here.

#31 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@ChrisTaran said:

" Very much looking forward to getting my import copy in a few weeks and seeing where things go from here. "

Assuming you don't know Japanese, are you intending on playing it before we have a translation guide available or are you going to wait for one? The story is obviously a major element of this game so I don't know if it would be as interesting going through the game without understanding anything... But then again, you're probably also going to buy the English version once it comes out here.
#32 Posted by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: I have a basic understanding of the language (been studying it casually for a few years), so I can make out the gist of what's being said.
That said, you're right that I'll be missing out on a lot of the finer points, and of course the story is the main selling point here for most.

I will most likely start playing before a translation guide comes out. Depending on when (or if) one does I'll likely start over using that as an aid.

And I will without doubt be buying the English version when that hopefully makes an appearance later this year. I look forward to playing through it multiple times to get all the endings, and based off the demo, the gameplay will be fun enough to support repeated outings with it.
#33 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@Vitor: It's your time, so your decision, but I know that my translation was a bit rushed, so you're welcome to complement or overrule me :P

I've edited the first part and fixed the quote and added a line from Jonathan that I realised I had missed when I actually played the demo myself.

@Camosid: Sounds good, as long as you know it's not that good, but it should aid understanding for the most part :P

Guess I should sit down and go over the text-messages as well, though that'll have to be tonight or tomorrow morning, if time allows...
#34 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@Cerogravian: You are beyond awesome my friend.  

#35 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -
@Cerogravian: Read through and compared with the uploaded youtube vid - nothing I would change really and you got some stuff that I likely would have missed (or abridged to an extent) so no point in my adding my own version! 

Nice work, totally deserve to steal my thunder here :P
#36 Posted by harinosho (593 posts) -

that  "you got a mail" sound bit on Vincents phone, anyway that can be extracted?

#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@harinosho said:
" that  "you got a mail" sound bit on Vincents phone, anyway that can be extracted? "
somejerk did it here, even though there's still background noise.
#38 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@harinosho: it won't be long, someone will work some magic with audio files and it'll be done. i've been using the persona Pipipipipi for my text message alert for ages.
#39 Edited by Camosid (110 posts) -

Ok. I finally got it up. I have no clue about the black borders I have been having an issue with those for a while now. Still it's got giant black boxes full of Subtitles. All thanks to you Cero. 

#40 Posted by Camosid (110 posts) -
@Camosid:  And here is part 2. I didn't subtitle the ending trailer thingy. Just cus it was so sparse with actual stuff. 

#41 Posted by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -
@Camosid:  Nice work on the videos!
#42 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10479 posts) -

That demo makes way more sense in english. Still kinda crazy, but manageable. 

#43 Posted by GTFan712 (156 posts) -

Thanks for the translation. Seems like it could be an interesting story line. In for Endurance Run.

#44 Posted by Camosid (110 posts) -
@ChrisTaran: Thanks buddy. I realized half way through making them that I could have just used s subtitle file. Would have taken like 4 less hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.