Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Is this game Japanese only?

• 101 results
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

I know its coming out in America, but will the only language be only in japanese?

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#2  Edited By DonutFever

You got it backwards, it's not yet announced for NA realease, but if it does (Which it most likely will) it will most likely be in English.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

As of yet, we only know that this game is releasing in Japan. The Japanese version is only going to be in Japanese. We have had no word of Catherine coming out in America.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, as stated above, no word yet on a US release. However, Atlus is usually pretty good about turning their voice acting from Japanese into American, so I wouldn't worry. 

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Mayu_Zane

If they make a non-Japan release they could just give multiple voice options.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Mayu_Zane: True, but that has been said about so many games (where it was possible) that I remain skeptical. 
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Gabriel

Knowing their audience subtitles would be just fine.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Gabriel said:
    " Knowing their audience subtitles would be just fine. "
    I'm not so sure about that. In my case, I definitely don't want only subtitles if the game were to be released here. I want full English voice acting, especially knowing that they've done very well with their VO and localization in past games.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I think the chances of this coming out in the states are slim enough that I am not going to complain if its subtitled with Japanese voice

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64

If it is released here, I hope their is an option for Japanese voice with English subtitles.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye
    @JJOR64 said:
    " If it is released here, I hope their is an option for Japanese voice with English subtitles. "
    That would be nice but as it's the persona team i could see them using their awesome localisation team instead. but they already have the japanese voices so who knows!
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Noodles
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    I'm not so sure about that. In my case, I definitely don't want only subtitles if the game were to be released here. I want full English voice acting, especially knowing that they've done very well with their VO and localization in past games. "
    I totally agree. Persona 4 would not have been as good (at least for me) without the memorable English voice acting.
    bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By bretthancock

I don't see any reason they won't localize it.  They've been on a tear with bringing things over, and riding the success of Persona 4 it makes sense.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PixelPrinny

They'd be foolish not to localize it given the amount of coverage it's been getting on western gaming sites. I'm hard pressed to think of an Atlus game that didn't have an English voice track. Where the waters are a bit more murky is whether or not they'll offer the Japanese VAs as well. Quite a few of their games in the past have offered both (ie when they published Disgaea) while others, such as the Personas have not. Perhaps they didn't offer both in some games due to memory constraints, but that shouldn't be an issue on BluRay, at least. DvDs maybe, but I bet they could fit both Japanese and English on. 

So here's to hoping we have the option of both :)

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By FCKSNAP

I want subs only. They've done it before and it's always been great.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Otogi
    @Snapstacle said:
    " I want subs only. They've done it before and it's always been great. "
    Why only?
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Otogi said:
    " @Snapstacle said:
    Why only? "
    So it'll get here faster.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mutha3
    I really don't want to see subs here, because the setting of the game isn't even in Japan this time.

@Snapstacle said:
    Really? which game?
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sogeman
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    I'm not so sure about that. In my case, I definitely don't want only subtitles if the game were to be released here. I want full English voice acting, especially knowing that they've done very well with their VO and localization in past games. "
    You are the problem! Japanese Audio and english subs are the solution. Localization is only fine when there's not audio.
    Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Knowing Atlus, they will bring it over to the Western market hopefully before Christmas this year. I have $60 on hold for this game and I have every expectation that they will send it state-side. I would love to see the original Japanese voices with English subtitles, as stated in prior posts.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By korolev

For the meanwhile yes. But given the fact that fans of Persona want this game to come out, we'll probably see an English version at some point. Persona games, great as they are, are fairly niche products. Yet they still turn a profit by releasing them in the US. Catherine is a fairly niche product as well, but it will probably get a US release if they think it'll turn a profit, and it probably will.  

They might have to tone down the cutscenes and stuff and some of the dialogue, though. Definitely that box art will have to change - can't imagine too many shopkeepers happy with putting THIS on store shelves, in plain sight:

Definitely won't be seeing this at walmart anytime soon.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By neoepoch
    @Korolev: We rarely see Atlus games at Wal-Mart anyway.

Doesn't anyone think it a bit odd that every character's name is an English name and their had text in English? It makes me actually wonder where the setting for this game actually is. Because their mannerisms and whatnot are definitely Japanese.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @Korolev said:

" For the meanwhile yes. But given the fact that fans of Persona want this game to come out, we'll probably see an English version at some point. Persona games, great as they are, are fairly niche products. Yet they still turn a profit by releasing them in the US. Catherine is a fairly niche product as well, but it will probably get a US release if they think it'll turn a profit, and it probably will.  

They might have to tone down the cutscenes and stuff and some of the dialogue, though. Definitely that box art will have to change - can't imagine too many shopkeepers happy with putting THIS on store shelves, in plain sight:

Definitely won't be seeing this at walmart anytime soon. "

if I had to guess it they would probably change the boxart to what there using on the 360, ether that or it just ends up like agarest wars where you have to ask for it at the counter or order it from them directly. Also some one on a different game websites forum made a good point, why would they make a 360 version and then only sell this game in japan where that systems market penetration is low as hell.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By endaround
    @neoepoch: Its been pretty much assumed that its set in the US (or maybe Canada) given the amount of English present in the background, the cars seen and the architecture.  You do get some weird instances where is just isn't quite right like the sushi in the bar or the size of Vincent's apartment and some of the English phrasing veers a bit too close to Engrish.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Sogeman said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    You are the problem! Japanese Audio and english subs are the solution. Localization is only fine when there's not audio. "

Most of the people who played Persona 4 and even 3, or watched the P4 Endurance Run would disagree with you and claim that their voice acting was great. I am one of them.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mutha3
    @Sogeman: Fuck no.

Teddie and Rise's Japanese VA's were atrocious. Thank god Atlus US saved us from them.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Catolf
    @Korolev said:
    " For the meanwhile yes. But given the fact that fans of Persona want this game to come out, we'll probably see an English version at some point. Persona games, great as they are, are fairly niche products. Yet they still turn a profit by releasing them in the US. Catherine is a fairly niche product as well, but it will probably get a US release if they think it'll turn a profit, and it probably will.  

No way ATLUS is going to tone down cutscenes or dialogue for a US release, now maybe the cover art might change but no way in hell will anything else. Also I have never not once seen a ATLUS title besides Trauma Center sold at Walmart, they just don't carry it.

@Dizzyhippos said:
    "if I had to guess it they would probably change the boxart to what there using on the 360, ether that or it just ends up like agarest wars where you have to ask for it at the counter or order it from them directly. Also some one on a different game websites forum made a good point, why would they make a 360 version and then only sell this game in japan where that systems market penetration is low as hell. "

Pretty much. I do hope the boxart won't be changed, or that the covers are reversible so you can have Both C and K on your Xbox 360 or Ps3.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mutha3

For the meanwhile yes. But given the fact that fans of Persona want this game to come out, we'll probably see an English version at some point. Persona games, great as they are, are fairly niche products. Yet they still turn a profit by releasing them in the US. Catherine is a fairly niche product as well, but it will probably get a US release if they think it'll turn a profit, and it probably will. 

Eh. I highly doubt that. The Atlus US of today has never shied away from the more messed up parts of SMT.
    @Korolev said:

"

This is definitely true, as well. I like those boxarts, but if I had not heard anything about Catherine prior to seeing it I would have never considered picking it up. Atlus relies on retailers as well, so a boxart change seems imminent.

Maybe they'll have a flip cover, though.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @mutha3 said:
    "  

Eh. I highly doubt that. The Atlus US of today has never shied away from the more messed up parts of SMT.
    @Korolev said:

"

This is definitely true, as well. I like those boxarts, but if I had not heard anything about Catherine prior to seeing it I would have never considered picking it up. Atlus relies on retailers as well, so a boxart change seems imminent.  Maybe they'll have a flip cover, though. "
    Can we all just agree that they could sell this game in a box that only had a piece of paper and the word catherne on it and we would all be happy with the fact that it came out?
    StriderJ8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StriderJ8

I'd love a US release period. I'll take it any why I can get it... but subtitles would do nicely. I want the engrish intact too. :)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AuthenticM

They wouldn't be making it for the 360 if they didn't have the intention of putting it out on NA and European market.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Catolf
    @Dizzyhippos:  I could agree with that. Wrapp it up in a paper bag as long as it's uncensored and over here.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust
    @demontium said:
    " I know its coming out in America, but will the only language be only in japanese? "
    I sincerely hope so!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @mutha3 said:
    Maybe they'll have a flip cover, though. "
    I'm hoping for the same thing. 

It'll definitely be localized, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Japanese voice track on there with subtitles. However, I'm one of those that really loved the voice acting from P4, so I have full faith in what they can pull off with Catherine. 
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By demontium
    @Jeust said:
    " @demontium said:
    " I know its coming out in America, but will the only language be only in japanese? "
    I sincerely hope so! "
    C'mon man (or doubtingly woman)! At least subtitles!
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeust
    @demontium said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @demontium said:
    I sincerely hope so! "
    C'mon man (or doubtingly woman)! At least subtitles! "
    There have to be at least subtitles. But please no annoying voice-overs! 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Jeust said:
    " There have to be at least subtitles. But please no annoying voice-overs!  "
    I've said it in this thread before, but I think you're very much underestimating the importance that localization holds for ATLUS. They take much care in how the dialog and text in their (recent) games have been translated and the voice acting for their (recent) games (mainly Persona 3 and Persona 4) have been great. It's okay if you just want to play the game with Japanese VA and English subtitles, but I think it's unrealistic to think they could screw up their English VA at this point.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Undeadpool

I really loved the voice acting and MOST of the localization for the Persona duo, but I really hope they just take the honorifics out. I didn't need the -san, -senpai, -sensei stuff, it kind of broke the immersion and it made the battle dialog WAY more long winded than it needed to be.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sameeeeam
    @FluxWaveZ: Yeah, I think the voice acting in the Persona games is really well done.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Undeadpool said:
    " it kind of broke the immersion . "
    I wouldn't say that, as P3 and P4 do take place in Japan, but I don't think I would mind if the honorifics were removed.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Undeadpool
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    " it kind of broke the immersion . "
    I wouldn't say that, as P3 and P4 do take place in Japan, but I don't think I would mind if the honorifics were removed  
    I get that, but the moment you have characters speaking English, the honorifics don't really belong there. It just sounds...awkward in the middle of a sentence which had no other Japanese words.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Jeust said:

" There have to be at least subtitles. But please no annoying voice-overs!  "
    I've said it in this thread before, but I think you're very much underestimating the importance that localization holds for ATLUS. They take much care in how the dialog and text in their (recent) games have been translated and the voice acting for their (recent) games (mainly Persona 3 and Persona 4) have been great. It's okay if you just want to play the game with Japanese VA and English subtitles, but I think it's unrealistic to think they could screw up their English VA at this point. "
    True. I guess I didn't think about Persona 3 and 4, and passed right at my thoughts about voice-overs, and how I'd like to enjoy my Japanese games. ^^;
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dany
    @Jeust said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @demontium said:
    I sincerely hope so! "
    There have to be at least subtitles. But please no annoying voice-overs!  "
    It is not like the translations were terrible, if anything they were great/good. Listening to the P4 ER shows that.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By m1k3

Sega had both english and japanese voice tracks in Valkryia Chronicles. NIS has been doing it for the Disgaea games. And since this is Atlus' first foray into the current gen consoles i would like to see them try.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jeust
    @Dany said:

" @Jeust said:

" @demontium said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @demontium said:
    I sincerely hope so! "
    There have to be at least subtitles. But please no annoying voice-overs!  "
    It is not like the translations were terrible, if anything they were great/good. Listening to the P4 ER shows that. "
    Yeah! I have the games (Persona 3 FES and Persona 4). I think I jumped the gun a wee little bit. 
    TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#46  Edited By TwilitEnd656
    @Mayu_Zane said:
    " If they make a non-Japan release they could just give multiple voice options. "
    ... And yet, so many games don't do it. Maybe it's space, maybe they just feel that not many people would even care, I don't know. They just don't. While I wish they would (it would certainly have made listening to Vanille a bit less PAINFUL).
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JAPANESE VOICES + English Subtitles = Perfection 

Seriously, if they don't have a global release for this I am going to have to learn Japanese... too many games I miss out on because of language barrier.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

This game is way too Japanese to be localized into English VO. I just can't see it happening. Listening to crazy sheep men explain how to push blocks would loose it's appeal when not spoken as it was in the demo.

@afrofools

said:

" JAPANESE VOICES + English Subtitles = Perfection  Seriously, if they don't have a global release for this I am going to have to learn Japanese... too many games I miss out on because of language barrier. "

It's not that hard to learn, to be honest. You just need some time, an open mind and optimism. This is coming from someone who is half retarded. Imagine how much someone normal can learn. I say go for it :)
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoyfullOFrockets: Okay... Kanji or Kana? or both? Or is the writing not necessary?
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Animasta
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " This game is way too Japanese to be localized into English VO. I just can't see it happening. Listening to crazy sheep men explain how to push blocks would loose it's appeal when not spoken as it was in the demo.

@afrofools

said:

" JAPANESE VOICES + English Subtitles = Perfection  Seriously, if they don't have a global release for this I am going to have to learn Japanese... too many games I miss out on because of language barrier. "

It's not that hard to learn, to be honest. You just need some time, an open mind and optimism. This is coming from someone who is half retarded. Imagine how much someone normal can learn. I say go for it :) "
    you can say that about any language, to be honest :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.