Just announed on Twitter - February 17, 2011 Relase

#1 Edited by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -

On Twitter and their official game blog, the game has finally been given a Japanese release date!

Edit: Announced! (Gotta love topic typos)

#2 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

Double post and double edit. Perfect. 

Edit: Wait, WTF just happened? Am I going crazy?

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

Nice!  Now lets get a US release date.

#4 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

That's... Winter, I guess.  How comes I had the strong conviction this was coming out in 2010?  Well, whatever, that's still not the NA release date.

#5 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

It's weird that we live in a day and age where we get so much pertinent news from a social networking site specializing in short messages with limited characters.

#6 Edited by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:  Well, considering their poster said Winter 2010, it's understandable you'd get that impression :)

#7 Posted by Potter9156 (940 posts) -

I just announced on Twitter that I farted. 

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@ChrisTaran: Heh, that would explain it.  Wonder why it got pushed back when it seemed they were practically done with development.
#9 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Nice!  Now lets get a US release date. "
#10 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

ah man, I got all excited because I thought you were talking about the US release date.

#11 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -
#12 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

so... late august US date, maybe?

here's hoping anyway

#13 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

I'm guessing we won't see the game until 2012. I expect Atlus to go all-out with the localization if they choose to release it here. 

Awesome that it'll be out relatively soon, though.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -
@hack745 said:
" I'm guessing we won't see the game until 2012. I expect Atlus to go all-out with the localization if they choose to release it here.  Awesome that it'll be out relatively soon, though. "
Persona 4 only took from July to December, and that probably had a lot more voice acting and stuff then Catherine does.
#15 Posted by m1k3 (1325 posts) -

cant really get excited over a japanese release date since its still unclear if they will be able to bring it to the states.

#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @hack745 said:
" I'm guessing we won't see the game until 2012. I expect Atlus to go all-out with the localization if they choose to release it here.  Awesome that it'll be out relatively soon, though. "
Persona 4 only took from July to December, and that probably had a lot more voice acting and stuff then Catherine does. "
I think Catherine will have more voice acting than Persona 4 since everything characters say is going to be voiced, but yeah, I doubt it would take them longer than Persona 4 to localize this if they're intending to release it in North America.
#17 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Laketown said:
" @hack745 said:
Persona 4 only took from July to December, and that probably had a lot more voice acting and stuff then Catherine does. "
I think Catherine will have more voice acting than Persona 4 since everything characters say is going to be voiced, but yeah, I doubt it would take them longer than Persona 4 to localize this if they're intending to release it in North America. "
Thats totally fine by me. I really loved the localization in Persona 4, it actually sounded great and the characters were believeable. So I wouldn't mind if they take their time working translating this one.
#18 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Laketown said:

" @hack745 said:
I think Catherine will have more voice acting than Persona 4 since everything characters say is going to be voiced, but yeah, I doubt it would take them longer than Persona 4 to localize this if they're intending to release it in North America. "
Even with that, I still think P4 will be the one with more VA. The Nanako cutscene by itself is, like, 3 hours of voice work.  and so is the intro. Catherine takes about 20 hours to complete and I assume the majority of that is  spent playing the game. P4 was fully voiced too, BTW. outside of gameplay and S-links, I mean.

@m1k3 said:
" its still unclear if they will be able to bring it to the states. "

Nope. There is no reason to assume this isn't being localized.
#19 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Huh. I was under the impression that it was going to be released before Christmas. Oh well that's nice to hear anyway. Still no US/European release date though. 

@metalsnakezero said:

" This is great but I'm saying 'great' because I know someone who was planning on posting videos of the game on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterLL "
Gotta love that guy.
#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" P4 was fully voiced too, BTW. outside of gameplay and S-links, I mean.

That's the exception.  Catherine is supposedly fully voiced when characters talk, unlike the text parts several times in Persona 4. 

Persona 4 took a lot of time to go through mostly because dungeons and fighting and I think Catherine will have the same amount or more voice work because of the work being put in the cutscenes (over 30 minutes of anime scenes = a lot of dialog) and because it seems that even during the gameplay parts, people, monsters and Vincent will be speaking.
#21 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Nice!  Now lets get a US release date. "
UK too.
#22 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Aww I got all excited thinking this was a US release date. Oh well, back to wishing and hoping.

#23 Edited by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

please atlus don't dub this game so we can experience better voice acting and you save a lot of time and money

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" please atlus don't dub this game so we can experience better voice acting and you save a lot of time and money "
I suppose you've not played many Atlus games before?  Generally, they do a fantastic dub with their English dubs and many have said that the English VO for Persona 4 was better than the Japanese one.
#25 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -

I wonder if it being on a BD-disc rather than a DVD means that both Japanese and English audio will make it into a western release? Admittedly I would only change it to Japanese to hear Norio Wakamoto's voice (ALL HAIL, BRITANNIA!) but it's always nice to have the option.

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Godot said:
" I wonder if it being on a BD-disc rather than a DVD means that both Japanese and English audio will make it into a western release? Admittedly I would only change it to Japanese to hear Norio Wakamoto's voice (ALL HAIL, BRITANNIA!) but it's always nice to have the option. "
I don't think they would screw over the Xbox 360 release by having extra content on the PS3 disc initially.
#27 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Godot said:
" I wonder if it being on a BD-disc rather than a DVD means that both Japanese and English audio will make it into a western release? Admittedly I would only change it to Japanese to hear Norio Wakamoto's voice (ALL HAIL, BRITANNIA!) but it's always nice to have the option. "
I don't think they would screw over the Xbox 360 release by having extra content on the PS3 disc initially. "
Heh, hadn't thought of that. Keep forgetting it's coming out on 360 as well.
#28 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

hat's the exception.

You mean the dialogue during cutscenes? then no, that really all was fully voiced. Only S-link and day to day conversations were in text.

@FluxWaveZ

said:

" @mutha3 said:

" P4 was fully voiced too, BTW. outside of gameplay and S-links, I mean.

Catherine is supposedly fully voiced when characters talk, unlike the text parts several times in Persona 4.  Persona 4 took a lot of time to go through mostly because dungeons and fighting
What makes you think Catherine won't be the same? I assume at the very least 10 of those 20 hours is spent with gameplay. To be honest, Persona 4 may have more then 20 hours voicework throughout the entire game.

I can remember several 3+ hours cutscenes

-the intro(3+ hours)
-schooltrip(hour+)
-schooltrip2(1.5 hours)  
-Nanako drama cutscene part 1(1 hourish)
-Nanako drama cutscene part 2(2 hourish)

and a hell of a lot more then I feel like remembering

damn, P4 has a lot of voice work...and cutscenes.

@cazamalos:
Since when did the US VA fall short to the JP VA when it comes to Atlus? Persona 3 is better then its Japanese counterpart, and Persona 4 is lightyears ahead of its Japanese counterpart.
#29 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I hope we get it in the summer! I'd hate to have to pass on it because of the holiday rush...

#30 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" please atlus don't dub this game so we can experience better voice acting and you save a lot of time and money "
people say this and I literally don't get how people could stand japanese Rise.
#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@mutha3: No, the exception is the S. Links and the day-to-day conversations.  That's why it can't be considered fully voiced because it isn't.  They've said Catherine, on the other hand, will be. 

It's true, P4 has a considerable amount of voice work, but it seems that there will be plenty of divergent paths the story will be able to follow depending on the player's choices, including different anime scenes, so I think Catherine will also have plenty of VA as well.  But yeah, P4 might actually end up having more than Catherine because of that game's length.
#32 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Bigu no hauso
Bigu no carr

...I love the engrish in that fake Japanese rap.

#33 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:  i know Atlus has made a fantastic job localizing their Japanese titles, but i think this is a very heavy narrative driven game, and maybe  the English voice actors are not going to put the same level of fidelity and commitment to the characters that their original  seiyūs
#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" @FluxWaveZ:  i know Atlus has made a fantastic job localizing their Japanese titles, but i think this is a very heavy narrative driven game, and maybe  the English voice actors are not going to put the same level of fidelity and commitment to the characters that their original  seiyūs "
Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 were also very heavy on the narrative, so I don't understand your point if the VA for those games were awesome and comparable to the Japanese VA.  This isn't a typical JRPG developer that puts horrid English voice acting into their games; Atlus USA actually takes pride in their localization and that's one of the reasons they refuse to include subs in their games.
#35 Posted by ChrisTaran (1565 posts) -

If you truly feel you need to hear the Japanese cast for this game, simply import. It may be a few weeks or months, but a fan translation walkthrough is very likely. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened. I highly doubt that Atlus USA will add both language tracks to their (likely) release, so this will most probably be your only option for that.

I'll be importing due more to impatience on my part and the desire to play the game as soon as possible. It helps that I have a basic understanding of Japanese, so while I may not be able to follow every word being said, I'll be able to get the gist of what's going on.

I'll definitely be purchasing the US release as well, because I do enjoy Atlus's localizations and English voice work (and I'll also be able to understand the finer point I missed in my Japanese play through).

#36 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" @FluxWaveZ: English voice actors are not going to put the same level of fidelity and commitment to the characters that their original  seiyūs "
That makes no sense. Japanese isn't a sacred language/country which produces VA's with angelic voices.

Most Japanese videogames have crappy VA work as well. P4 and 3 aren't comparable to their japanese counterpart, they're simply better.
#37 Posted by Daroki (709 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @cazamalos said:
I suppose you've not played many Atlus games before?  Generally, they do a fantastic dub with their English dubs and many have said that the English VO for Persona 4 was better than the Japanese one. "

+1 The VO for Persona 4 was fantastic.
#38 Posted by Sanj (2352 posts) -

Whenever I look at Vincent, I can't imagine anyone but Steve Blum doing his English V/O.
#39 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" @FluxWaveZ:  i know Atlus has made a fantastic job localizing their Japanese titles, but i think this is a very heavy narrative driven game, and maybe  the English voice actors are not going to put the same level of fidelity and commitment to the characters that their original  seiyūs "
Japanese voice actors don't care more about their work than American voice actors.

Do you think when American games are translated to Japanese or French, those voice actors care less because it's a localization?
#40 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

JORDAN!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.