Just played the Catherine demo

• 56 results
#1 Edited by bslayer (220 posts) -

I just played the Catherine demo on the 360 and I was really into it. What little they let you play intrigued me enough that when it ended I decided that I wanted to play it again. Only this time it will be on the PS3. Has anyone played it on both? What does everyone else think of the demo? 

Update: The PS3 demo wasn't up when I posted this. After finally playing it, the frame rate seems to be the same on both platforms. The thumbstick on the 360 controller and the D-Pad on the PS3 controller seem to work equally well, so in short: Just play the version you feel more comfortable with. Also I feel like that guy from Unsolved Mysteries whenever he says UPDATE. Weird.

#2 Edited by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@bslayer: Haven't played the demo yet since Atlus continue to think that Europe is just some weird place where no one want to see any of their games released.

EDIT: It seems many got angry at me for "attacking" Atlus. That's not the case, and I'm well aware of it's not Atlus' "fault" their games aren't released (or very delayed) in EU. I still think it's a bad thing though, much as I think it's a bad thing when EU gets stuff the US don't. Hopefully we in EU will get news about a Catherine release before the end of the year at least.

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Waiting for it to come up on PSN

#4 Posted by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

I dig it as well.

I haven't finished an Atlus game since Persona 2, mainly because they include so much difficult dungeon crawling. I don't have the patience for it anymore. Beating my head for an hour against a tough puzzle, though, I can do. I see this being my favorite Atlus game in quite some time.

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I was going to download it but I'm not. I already got the game pre-ordered so I'll get it day one and I want to go into the game fresh.

#6 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:

@bslayer: Haven't played the demo yet since Atlus continue to think that Europe is just some weird place where no one want to see any of their games released.

Isn't it more that Atlus don't publish in Europe and instead licence to third party publishers.  I assume someone has picked up Catherine in Europe and it would be down to them to market it and do the demo. 

Actually I googled the release date and it hasn't got one yet for europe - so no surprise on the lack of demo.
#7 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:

but Europe does get Atlus games, they are just published by other people for over there. Just getting the games later XP Which I know sucks, but you can't sit and say you don't get the games released over there.
#8 Posted by VarkhanMB (161 posts) -

I will not be downloading the demo for fear of getting burnt out on the gameplay. I'll wait 'til the day it releases... Anybody notice if the game ran more smoothly on PS3 or Xbox?

#9 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

I've got the Japanese demo on PS3.  Don't know if I'll download the American one.  If it's the same 2 levels I won't bother.  I've got it pre-ordered at the shop I buy all my import games from.  Hoepefully it'll be in within a week of it's american release.

#10 Posted by Olqavtoras (231 posts) -

I'll probably download it of the american PSN store when it's up, gonna be nice to try it for myself instead of watching others play it.

#11 Posted by Wes899 (2126 posts) -

Yeah is it the same as the japanese demo?

#12 Posted by bslayer (220 posts) -
@Random88: i'm pretty sure it is the same as the japanese demo.
#13 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

In Europe we should be able to import the US PS3 version right? Am I wrong in saying they don't region lock most PS3 titles?

#14 Posted by mikey87144 (1806 posts) -

@Cwaff said:

In Europe we should be able to import the US PS3 version right? Am I wrong in saying they don't region lock most PS3 titles?

PS3 doesn't have region lock. Import at your leisure.

#15 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -
@Cwaff: I'm importing the American PS3 version.  Don't worry it will work.  I live in the U.K, have a PAL PS3 and have american copies of several PS3 games.  I don't think any PS3 game has been region locked.
#16 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Cwaff said:

it won't be region locked on the ps3 i don't think, so order away!
#17 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

@mikey87144: Thanks!

@Random88: Thank you!

@Catolf: Arigatou!

I'm excited now!

#18 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Wes899 said:

At the very least, the it's localized so that the dialogue can be understood by English-speaking audiences.

#19 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Gonna avoid footage and playing the demo, wanna experience it fully when i get it.

#20 Posted by Catarrhal (859 posts) -

I played the Japanese demo and enjoyed the hell out of it. Pre-ordered, so I won't be downloading the current demo.

#21 Posted by Wes899 (2126 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Wes899 said:

At the very least, the it's localized so that the dialogue can be understood by English-speaking audiences.

Ok. I'll stay away from it then. I got my fill just by playing the JP one. I know it's all early stuff but I'd like to go in as fresh as possible.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19383 posts) -

I was going to download it but I already played the Japanese demo and I think I'm going to pass.

#23 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

I've been waiting for this hopefully it's up will check.

#24 Posted by Bocam (3819 posts) -

This is where I bitch about not liking the voices... Also the 360 version's anime cutscenes look kinda bad compared to the PS3. Though I have to buy the 360 version as that's the cover I'm missing.

#25 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Bocam said:

This is where I bitch about not liking the voices... Also the 360 version's anime cutscenes look kinda bad compared to the PS3. Though I have to buy the 360 version as that's the cover I'm missing.

I didn't see anything wrong with the english voices or notice anything too damaging about the Xbox version as far as how the cutscenes anime wise look. But i'll agree with you about box covers.... i need both...<<
#26 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@Catolf said:

@CrazyChris said:

but Europe does get Atlus games, they are just published by other people for over there. Just getting the games later XP Which I know sucks, but you can't sit and say you don't get the games released over there.

Yeah, my comment was childish and unfair, I know. :)

Just bitter that it's less than 2 weeks to the US release and there haven't been a single word regarding an EU release. :(

#27 Posted by Bocam (3819 posts) -

@Catolf: I'm not saying the voice acting's bad. I'm saying I don't like it

#28 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@CrazyChris: nothing that atlus can do really

#29 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19383 posts) -
@CrazyChris:  
From Aram: 

We are strictly North American publishers. We have no presence in [Europe], and as such cannot publish any of our titles there without involvement from a third party. We're so sorry you feel as though we're ignoring or neglecting you; it couldn't be further from the truth.

We wish we could get our games into the hands of as many gamers as are interested to play them!

#30 Posted by eroticfishcake (7789 posts) -

I can't play the demo because I live in FUCKING EUROPE. Come on, Atlus! I love your games! WE ALL LOVE YOUR GAMES! We don't need to import them!...*whimper*

#31 Posted by Bocam (3819 posts) -

They changed "You got a mall" into "You got mail" Oh and Toby calls Vincent "Vinny"

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19383 posts) -
@Bocam said:

They changed "You got a mall" into "You got mail"

Damn, the Engrish charm is lost.
#33 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Bocam said:

@Catolf: I'm not saying the voice acting's bad. I'm saying I don't like it

Ah I see.

@eroticfishcake said:
I can't play the demo because I live in FUCKING EUROPE. Come on, Atlus! I love your games! WE ALL LOVE YOUR GAMES! We don't need to import them!...*whimper*

*patpat* there there. I feel bad for the EU... maybe atlus will say they got a third party willing to bring it over sooner.
#34 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

When is the demo supposed to show up on the PS3? I can't download the 360 version cause I'm not a gold member anymore.

#35 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

I enjoyed the block-pushing more than I thought I would. Even more excited now.

#36 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

@Bocam said:

They changed "You got a mall" into "You got mail"

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Oh well.

#37 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I was really worried about this game because I usually do not like puzzle games but after playing the demo and seeing how fucking ridiculous this game is going to be, I'm gonna have to buy eventually. Seems really cool.

#38 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@RockinKemosabe said:

When is the demo supposed to show up on the PS3? I can't download the 360 version cause I'm not a gold member anymore.

It's whenever they update PSN, supposedly it's a tightly run scheduled but I can't find the time, I heard it was 5pm Eastern Standard time, but can anyone confirm?
#39 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -
@Bocam said:

That's some Bink video compression for ya.
#40 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1771 posts) -

For sure, I will download the demo immediately!

#41 Posted by Bocam (3819 posts) -

@Catolf: It usually updates around 4 to 5PM EST

#42 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Bocam: ah okay, at least I have a time frame. Already DL all the cathy wallpapers on psn XD
#43 Posted by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -

Curse there being no demo on the UK Marketplace. I'm just waiting for the demo to go on the PSN so I can download it using my American account. Come on! Hurry up Catherine!

#44 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

I want to keep everything as fresh as possible but I can't import it, the site I used previously has seemingly went to hell when it comes to the game portion of their site. The demo is starting to get bloody tempting now. Does anyone know a good place to import this to the UK?

#45 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
I'm starting too feel like a walking(posting?) advertisment board for VG+ but.....

@GentlemanlyGentleman said:
I want to keep everything as fresh as possible but I can't import it, the site I used previously has seemingly went to hell when it comes to the game portion of their site. The demo is starting to get bloody tempting now. Does anyone know a good place to import this to the UK?
Videogameplus.ca

Will take 'em 4-5 days and will end up costing you inbetween 45-50 euros(whatever that is in pounds). Alternatively, you can purchase it from a UK based-import retailer: 
http://www.planetaxel.com/
#46 Edited by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -
@mutha3: I'll give it a look. Thanks for the help!

EDIT : And ordered (VG+). Thanks again.
#47 Edited by supermike6 (3639 posts) -

I played the Japanese demo and loved it, so I am buying this game regardless and therefore don't see a point in playing this demo.

#48 Posted by CowboyBebopper (170 posts) -

Just played the Catherine demo and I have to say that I am very intrigued by the dialogue options the game presents. The idea that you can string together different combinations of Vincent's feelings thru text is sure to have some compelling reprecussions. The nightmare sections themselves proved to be difficult but once you get the hang of the touchy controls and quick-paced gameplay I suspect that most gamers will accept it and move on.

#49 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

I want to try both version of the demo but I don't have Gold membership on my XboxLive account at the moment so only played the PS3 version.

#50 Posted by Daroki (717 posts) -

@CrazyChris said:

Setting up a distribution network in North America is probably far easier than setting one up in the European Union with it's myriad VATs and regulations. Atlus is probably better off letting a Square Enix or other publisher which already has those networks in place distribute in that region.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.