Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Playing Catherine with my girlfriend: a horrifying experience

• 130 results
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Noct

@SixtyXCelph said:

@Noct: But there's no way of knowing that she knows she's validated in her suspicions.  What if she really hasn't been given a reason to be suspicious, and just happens to coincidentally be a jealous freak anyway?  And either way, we don't know what he texts that he doesn't want her to see, just that it's something he knows she wouldn't approve of, or maybe even just something somewhat embarrassing that he doesn't want her to see.  Granted those same arguments could be used for why it's unfair to call her a crazy control freak, haha.  Not enough information for a clear judgment.

@Duncs

said:

@Noct said:

Someone else already jokingly mentioned this, but I just have to
    outright ask... You were afraid of her seeing your phone because she might see something
    incriminating... and then you posted a thread completely confirming that her
    fears were totally warranted? I know you said you weren't cheating, but in my experience, if something you're doing has to be hidden from your signifigant other, or you have to lie about it... then it's probably not somethign you should be doing...

And to the people that are saying she’s a control freak or whatever... Umm,
    clearly she HAS a reason to be suspicious!

I'm not too keen on how quickly my wife will ask me who'se calling me when my
    phone rings, but the whole reason it bothers me is because I have nothing to
    hide... if I DID have something to hide, it wouldn't make her a controlling
    bitch, it would make her an intuitive girl who senses that something is off...

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a little nuts that she is equating your selections in the game to real life and trying to read something into it, but I don't think this buisness of her wanting to see your phone is strange at all... If I picked up my wife's phone and she freaked out or didn't want me to look at it, I would be more then a little concerned...

I've gotta disagree on this. His fear of her seeing something on his phone *might* indicate that he's doing something wrong, or it *might* indicate that she's the kind of girl who will blow up over something inconsequential. I'm not saying all women are like this at all, but I certainly know some who are. One of my best friends' girlfriend is incredibly OTT about this kind of thing even though he is doing literally nothing wrong. If he gets a text from a female friend of his *at all*, she flips out about it. Even if it's (as it always is) something entirely innocuous. He knows this, and so is justly terrified of her reading his messages, because of her reactions. It could be either way around, it's not certainly either the case that she's overbearing or he's cheating behind her back.   Also, totally agree with Piglet - she's looking at your phone either way, which means that looking at you phone is *not* based on intuition. That claim would only be valid if she only looked at your phone if/when you did something wrong. Her looking in all cases is her being suspicious/nosy regardless of any facts.

Hah, ok, you both make fair points... Whether she knows or not though, he's admitting he's hiding something, so it doesn't seem crazy to me for her to be suspicious. You're totally right though, if she has no reason to be, I guess you could still put her in the crazy bin...

As far as whether or not she should be interested/concerned... I dunno man, obvioulsy you could get an innocent text that your signifigant other might take the wrong way, but in my opinion, when somebody is trying to keep something from their other, no matter how innocent, it means they are technically doing something "wrong". Whether they personally feel it is is irrelvant. If you know somehting you're doing or have done is going to anger/upset your girlfriend, then you probably shouldn't have done it, or at least shoud have had some concern about her feelings. 

For example, my wife has a big issue with strip clubs. I really don't personally think there is anything wrong with them, and honestly, I wouldn't go even if she didn't have any problem with them, but I definately won't go knowing that it would upset her. It doesn't matter whether or not it was "innocent" or whether I though tit was wrong, if you're doing somehting you KNOW you're other doesn't like or approve of, and then you have to hide it... that's sketchy to me.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By CastroCasper

Dude, that's the -1 circle of hell right there.

sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By sixtyxcelph
    @Noct: I certainly think the fact that someone feels they have to hide something from their significant other is cause for concern, but, if it's something harmless, like getting a text from a member of the same sex no matter what the context of that text is, I disagree with the idea that they have absolutely done something wrong.  Rather, I would say it's a sign that the relationship should be examined and maybe those two people aren't right for each other at all, or maybe there is some other issue of trust that needs to be discussed.  Has something happened, either in this relationship or a previous one, to make this particular thing difficult to blindly trust?  Or, again this instance or a previous one, has something happened to cause this fear and necessity to hide?  And start taking steps to build that trust and eliminate that fear.  Definitely not assume that the person hiding MUST be guilty of something otherwise they wouldn't hide and certainly not assume that the person casting a suspicious eye MUST be right, otherwise they wouldn't be suspicious.

I'll state now the obvious: that's entirely my opinion and not backed by any kind of science, haha.
    AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By AzHP

Holy cow, tons of responses. Thanks to everyone who enjoyed reading it. I admit that I was a little overarching and generalizing with my statements, and I apologize for offending anyone. I know that not all men are afraid of commitment and all women are commitment mongers, but it's how I felt at the time while playing with my girlfriend, that Vincent personified the average man and Katherine the average woman. Obviously, not all people are like that. (I also feel a pretty big connection to Vincent in general since I'm also a programmer who just changed jobs, is in a committed relationship and doesn't know what he wants in life.)

And honestly, my relationship is fine. I'm open about who I'm talking to when she asks, and I'm open about what I talk about, and she's fine with that. I get my alone time with my guy friends going drinking and partying, and I get my together time with her. It's just that I'd prefer her not to violate my personal space like my phone, even if she'd be slightly disapproving of who/what I talk to/about on there. I guess I've just been burned by previous relationships where I actually WAS with an overtly controlling girlfriend who got mad if I even spoke to a woman and just want to keep that stuff to myself now.

And I'm not saying that I don't think that my girlfriend is the one I want to settle down with eventually, but I mean, I'm 23 years old and live in San Francisco, so I don't particularly want to be tied down when there's tons of partying to be done and people to meet. My dad made that mistake with my mom, married straight out of college, and now he lives with his girlfriend in his mom's house. I want to live a little, and not have to worry about things like mortgage payments and eventual children during ostensibly the best years of my life. Plus, my girlfriend is still in college and is going to go to graduate school, so it's not like she's ready to settle down either. It's probably just her instincts kicking in and wanting to settle down with a good man.

Dixperiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Dixperiken

Facinating read. I hadn't even thought how playing this game with a significant other could have consequences.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By FacelessVixen

Talk about playing the game on the highest difficulty setting.

That was a fun read.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By lockwoodx

Watch Sex and the City with her, then comment about all the girly bullshit women get away with. You'll come to the same conclusion, you need a new partner.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By GaspoweR

Ah...you shoudn't really be talking to your exes when you yourself already have a girlfriend. That is just weird, man.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By AzHP

@GaspoweR said:

Ah...you shoudn't really be talking to your exes when you yourself already have a girlfriend. That is just weird, man.

I don't really see what's wrong with it. You may have spent months or years of your life with them, and they know you better than most of your friends. They can provide valuable insight and advice that you wouldn't get from anyone else, in my opinion.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MeierTheRed

I wouldn't play Catherine period.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By AURON570

bwahaha. I'm even more interested now in seeing how a female gamer reacts to this game. As a guy it was pretty easy to see where the male characters in the game were coming from, but I really wonder what a female playing this game would think about it.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By AzHP

@AURON570 said:

bwahaha. I'm even more interested now in seeing how a female gamer reacts to this game. As a guy it was pretty easy to see where the male characters in the game were coming from, but I really wonder what a female playing this game would think about it.

I actually have a LOT of female friends who played the game, and they told me they were basically the most dedicated boyfriends in the world. They also cursed in very un-lady-like manners when playing the puzzles...heh heh heh.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By RagingLion

This is a hilarious (I don't mean to belittle the awkwardness of the situation for you personally) and excellent blog.  I wondered myself what it would be like to play this game if you had a significant other being in the room.  I was mainly thinking about if the sexual content in the context of cheating on Katherine would get weird but as you have found yourself all the other stuff about commitment is easily as touchy.

Edit:  Also, after now reading all the comments left here I kind of feel like this thread alone justifies the development of Catherine.  It's kind of refreshing to see all these issues and POVs raised here on a gaming site whereas there's not really another game that would provoke such thoughts and discussion.  Well done Atlus.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AzHP

@RagingLion said:

This is a hilarious (I don't mean to belittle the awkwardness of the situation for you personally) and excellent blog. I wondered myself what it would be like to play this game if you had a significant other being in the room. I was mainly thinking about if the sexual content in the context of cheating on Katherine would get weird but as you have found yourself all the other stuff about commitment is easily as touchy.

Oh no, I agree it's hilarious. If it wasn't entertaining it wouldn't make for very good blog material, after all. If I was actually horrified with the situation, I don't think I'd make it public. Glad you liked it, though!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#65  Edited By alistercat

What I would give to be with a girl who would dress up as a phoenix wright character... you've got yourself a keeper there.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @AlisterCat said:

What I would give to be with a girl who would dress up as a phoenix wright character... you've got yourself a keeper there.

If I could quote this so many times, therefore breaking this page, I would.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

There's probably something else going on beneath the surface &
    doesn't have anything to do with the video game.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By sparklykiss

I'd be more worried about a few of those... questionable boss characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I remember why I'm okay with being single. Cheers!

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#70  Edited By TechHits
    @Andyman067 said:
    The moral of the story is not "don't play Catherine in front of your girlfriend", it's "don't get involved with a controlling and imbalanced woman".
    You really took the words out of my mouth. 

You sound kinda sound like you're afraid of your Girlfriend, that's not a good thing.
    Toothsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By Toothsaw

If she's overreacting like that to the fact that you TALK to other girls, maybe she's a lot insecure about herself and her relationship with you.

And what the hell is "You can't be nice to both of them" supposed to mean? That when you're in a serious relationship, you just have to be a jerk with all the people of your opposite kind? That you have to be harsh and scare them away? I'd call that plain jealousy and lack of self-confidence.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

One of the reasons I don't have a girl and never seek too again my own experiences with women not withstanding having to watch and listen to my friends whom have their lives ruined by their significant others. 
     One is so controlled by his girlfriend she has him to a point now where she pretty much controls who he associates with...and me and a few others are not part of that group. *mind you we've always been cordial and we have all hung out as a group so there is no obvert reason for her not wanting him to hang out* 

I've known alot of women and I've yet to meet one that once they get into a relationship doesn't completely try to control and change the man in the relationship. But If I had a girl friend or wife I wouldn't play this game infront of them becasue I wouldn't play it at all.
    Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Very interesting read! Now I'm sorta curious to try something like that myself, could be pretty fascinating I think.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#74  Edited By Little_Socrates

@G3RHRT: The two Catherines are pretty shallow, but the waitress Erica is one of the best characters in a video game this year. Actually...she's probably just THE best, unless The Witcher 2 or Alice has characters I don't know about. The other side characters (mostly male, didn't spend much time with the two old ladies) are all strong as well. The two Catherines are just symbols, though, which is arguably the largest disappointment in the game. That, or the audio issues, or the lack of player agency for the first two-thirds of the game, or some of the block puzzles, depending on the person.

I still rather enjoyed it. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about "which Catherine will I pick" and more "which choice will I make on the landings?" That said, all you have to do is make it clear at the very beginning that you're making choices for Vincent and not for yourself; you're considering it a "what would this character do?" and not a "what would I do?", as the alternative could expose that maybe you and your partner don't really know each other very well at all. That's what I'm gathering from your OP, AzHP, that you haven't told her how you feel about breakups and commitments despite having been with her (presumably) for a while now. Maybe you should directly talk to her and say "look, there have been points in this game where I've lied because I was afraid of how you'd react. I really do want you to understand me and love me for who I am, so let's finish out this playthrough going for Katherine, and then we can play the game again and I'll respond more honestly."

People in this thread are reporting that your girlfriend is invading your privacy and that's not cool. If you're not interested in making a real connection to this girl, that's one thing. But I think the biggest moral Catherine puts on display is that an inability to communicate and actually make decisions without being terrified of the outcomes will ultimately lead to a more stressful life as a manchild, which is exactly where Vincent starts the game.

But what do I know? I'm just another sheep, doing my best to exchange techniques with anyone who will take the time to listen. It can be kind of hard to recognize other sheep here, but maybe you'll recognize my cowboy hat and grizzled face when I need some advice and we can exchange techniques again.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tyxja

Reminds me of my ex. If we would watch a movie where a chick gets topless she would get mad if I didn't look away.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By AzHP

@tylerjacob said:

Reminds me of my ex. If we would watch a movie where a chick gets topless she would get mad if I didn't look away.

Haha, that's kind of funny because my girlfriend loves tits...we've watched some of the most fan service-y animes that exist, including Ikkitousen (google image it if you dare). Ironically, I think she likes it more than I do...

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#77  Edited By coonce

great f*cking blogpost. very honest and very very real.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @mutha3 said:

In the beginning of the game, Vincent and his friends talk about commitment and how scary it is, and Lindsey couldn't believe that there were men who thought like that. I bit my tongue and avoided telling her that actually, all men are like that, and they just don't say it to their girlfriend because they don't want her to explode.

It seems you and your girlfriend have the same problem in stereotyping men, my friend.   Also, demanding to see your phone's inbox?  .....uhhhhhhhhh   Maybe you need to have a talk with your girlfriend.
    I don't have a problem with commitment. Find the right girl. Smart, sweet, kinky monkey sex, what's the problem. Keep things simple. I mean, if I discover that things aren't going to work out, then they aren't going to work out. But I don't date a girl unless I think there's the far (far, far) off possibility of marrying them.

As for lying, everyone lies to everyone else a little here and there. I can't see ever needing to lie to a girlfriend about something big.

And there are no texts on my phone i wouldn't be ok with showing her. 

Still, if this Katherine is as overbearing as you say she is, I'd be inclined to want to break Vincent free too.
    Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By Tophat666

I know it might be just be me, but why would you be texting your Ex?

4 anybody says anything, yes I've had more then 1 GF before, but that just seems a little weird is all.

This post really makes me want to call over all the female friends i know over to see what they say about Catherine.

I'm also not suspired that your GF would want you to go for Katherine way.

LiquidElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By LiquidElite

if my girlfriend got angry at me for playing sly in a GAME i would tell her to go for a walk... if she was that insecure or/and had that little faith in me. that she would judge me for the things i do in a game. then she needs to grow up. 

thankfully for me, my girlfriend has a sick and twisted mind like me. we kill the hookers for our money back :P

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

This sounds like an incredibly stressful and harrowing experience, so I feel sort of bad at deriving so much joy from reading about it.

Dain22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#82  Edited By Dain22

Yay! Trust and communication issues for everybody! 

I really want to try this game for myself now.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#83  Edited By jacksukeru

I don't check Twitter all that often but when I do I enjoy your P4 Tweets, and would like to take this opportunity to thank you "somewhat" personally for the work you put into it.

This topic was also incredibly funny to read, so thanks for that as well.

I have no further thoughts.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mutha3
    @G3RHRT said:

Don't generalize it always ends badly. 

are unfortunately shallow... and also Japan: I'd probably would be palming my face while my gf frowns as the camera constantly pans over Catherine's body.

Ha.

Anyway,outside of its boxart, Catherine is pretty tasteful game. A lot more tasteful than most videogames that aren't about sex.

Examples of games I find less tasteful: Mass Effect 1/2, Persona 3/4, Duke Nukem Forever etc etc.
    mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mewarmo990

I loved this blog post. Glad to see the game is sparking so much discussion. Forwarded to Aram.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Xeiphyer

I played the demo with my girlfriend. I can totally see what you mean.

I think a lot of people here who are saying how they wouldn't care or the magical girl they would date would be fine with it, obviously are single.

My girlfriend knows that I like my personal space, so she doesn't touch my phone or my crap without asking me. Not that there's anything to hide, but I just really hate people invading my privacy.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gerhabio

@mutha3 said:

@G3RHRT said:

are unfortunately shallow... and also Japan: I'd probably would be palming my face while my gf frowns as the camera constantly pans over Catherine's body.

Ha. Anyway,outside of its boxart, Catherine is pretty tasteful game. A lot more tasteful than most videogames that aren't about sex. Examples of games I find less tasteful: Mass Effect 1/2, Persona 3/4, Duke Nukem Forever etc etc.

I meant don't generalize about people, silly. It is well-known that anime often indulges in fan service of the sexual female kind.

But yeah, I rather not risk expose her to something offensive and have her bummed out cuz of a video game.

@RockmanBionics said:

I don't check Twitter all that often but when I do I enjoy your P4 Tweets, and would like to take this opportunity to thank you "somewhat" personally for the work you put into it.

This topic was also incredibly funny to read, so thanks for that as well.

I have no further thoughts.

Don't remember reading the tweet thing the first time. It reminds me of Jeff's idea of having timelines on the site that told you what was going on in video game universes. I still think it would be awesome.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mutha3
    @G3RHRT said:

@mutha3 said:

@G3RHRT said:

Ha. Anyway,outside of its boxart, Catherine is pretty tasteful game. A lot more tasteful than most videogames that aren't about sex. Examples of games I find less tasteful: Mass Effect 1/2, Persona 3/4, Duke Nukem Forever etc etc.

I meant don't generalize about people, silly. It is well-known that anime often indulges in fan service of the sexual female kind.

But yeah, I rather not risk expose her to something offensive and have her bummed out cuz of a video game.

But, you said Japan, silly, not anime. Generalizing a country is a pretty shitty thing to do.  Do you think panty shots are abound in Japanese literature too?

On top of that, videogames are hardly(read:almost never) guilt-free from stupid fan-service themselves. I find the games I mentioned to be more guilty of it than Catherine: Awkward pandering PG-13 sex scenes, swimsuit competitions, the worst lapdance ever etc.

(for reference: there are no swimsuit competitions, awkward sex scenes or lapdances in Catherine.)

I'm not trying to convince you to play Catherine with your girlfriend, I'm just disputing the notion that its creepy.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Xeiphyer said:
     I think a lot of people here who are saying how they wouldn't care or the magical girl they would date would be fine with it, obviously are single. 
    I think I could probably play Cathrine with my girlfriend. I think it's a combination of being mature enough to have very little to hide, and the fact that I am uncompromising in who I chose to date. I don't believe that girls or boys are one way and, therefore, anyone who goes against that is "magical." You make yourself. And if you don't make yourself, I don't care about you. Period.

I guess the only thing that might trip me up, is the fact that I've bragged about our sexual exploits. If there was a question about that I'd be in trouble. But quite frankly, I should be ashamed of myself for how much bragging I've done. It would serve me right. But I'm so proud to be with a girl I find so lovely, and I honestly wonder if she would feel flattered to know.
    Thejugglingbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Thejugglingbum

This is a great post! Catherine really is a game that challenges you aspects of a relationship. It sounds a bit like your girlfriend is Katherine lol

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#91  Edited By project343

Forum topic of the month!

Had a blast reading this. XD

BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#92  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

you actually let her go through your phone? Control your fucking woman dude.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#93  Edited By Catolf
    @Xeiphyer said:
    I played the demo with my girlfriend. I can totally see what you mean.  I think a lot of people here who are saying how they wouldn't care or the magical girl they would date would be fine with it, obviously are single.  My girlfriend knows that I like my personal space, so she doesn't touch my phone or my crap without asking me. Not that there's anything to hide, but I just really hate people invading my privacy.
    Apparently I am a magical girl cause I'd be open to playing this with anyone I would be with just to see what ending they would get, that was the plan before my split with my ex, though i'm still actively trying to get him to play. Though I am obviously single now.. more or less *shrug* but not because of Catherine. lol
    AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AzHP

@RockmanBionics: Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it and that you found this blog post to be entertaining. Frankly I'm overwhelmed by the response and the discussion this has sparked.

And honestly, because everyone seems to think that I am in a horrible relationship with a controlling girlfriend and that I'm a terrible person, I'm going to repost this:

This blog post is really misrepresenting my girlfriend as a whole, she honestly lets me do whatever I want when I'm with my friends and doesn't mind when I come home piss drunk after blacking out in a hotel room full of women, or impulsively spend hundreds of dollars on anime figures or oversized arcade replica Japanese music game controllers. She trusts me wholly and I trust her. I guess her insecurities get the best of her when playing a game specifically about a man cheating on his committed relationship, and she feels like I'm projecting my feelings about our relationship into the choices I make in the game (not necessarily untrue, but I wouldn't act on my feelings).

I admit that I was a little overarching and generalizing with my statements, and I apologize for offending anyone. I know that not all men are afraid of commitment and all women are commitment mongers, but it's how I felt at the time while playing with my girlfriend, that Vincent personified the average man and Katherine the average woman. Obviously, not all people are like that. (I also feel a pretty big connection to Vincent in general since I'm also a programmer who just changed jobs, is in a committed relationship and doesn't know what he wants in life.)

And honestly, my relationship is fine. I'm open about who I'm talking to when she asks, and I'm open about what I talk about, and she's fine with that. I get my alone time with my guy friends going drinking and partying, and I get my together time with her. It's just that I'd prefer her not to violate my personal space like my phone, even if she'd be slightly disapproving of who/what I talk to/about on there. I guess I've just been burned by previous relationships where I actually WAS with an overtly controlling girlfriend who got mad if I even spoke to a woman and just want to keep that stuff to myself now.

And I'm not saying that I don't think that my girlfriend is the one I want to settle down with eventually, but I mean, I'm 23 years old and live in San Francisco, so I don't particularly want to be tied down when there's tons of partying to be done and people to meet. My dad made that mistake with my mom, married straight out of college, and now he lives with his girlfriend in his mom's house. I want to live a little, and not have to worry about things like mortgage payments and eventual children during ostensibly the best years of my life. Plus, my girlfriend is still in college and is going to go to graduate school, so it's not like she's ready to settle down either. It's probably just her instincts kicking in and wanting to settle down with a good man.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Gerhabio

@mutha3 said:

@G3RHRT said:

@mutha3 said:

@G3RHRT said:

But, you said Japan, silly, not anime. Generalizing a country is a pretty shitty thing to do. Do you think panty shots are abound in Japanese literature too? On top of that, videogames are hardly(read:almost never) guilt-free from stupid fan-service themselves. I find the games I mentioned to be more guilty of it than Catherine: Awkward pandering PG-13 sex scenes, swimsuit competitions, the worst lapdance ever etc. (for reference: there are no swimsuit competitions, awkward sex scenes or lapdances in Catherine.) I'm not trying to convince you to play Catherine with your girlfriend, I'm just disputing the notion that its creepy.

I had answered but for some reason it erased? I think it's because you edited.

Anyway, you've never heard the Bomb Squad say "because Japan" to refer to the relatively strange things that come from Japan's pop culture. I am not generalizing the Japanese people as a group of individuals and I don't have any malicious intent. If you're Japanese and are offended by "because Japan" then I apologize.

Now, "creepiness" is very subjective and she believes it is or at least it bothers her, so that's that. : )

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By mutha3
    @G3RHRT:  I don't really know anything about Japan outside of what I played from Vidyas and when I still liked anime many years ago, but I suppose I am a bit more sensitive to perceived racism because of my upbringing.

.........Looking back, that was kinda a silly and pedantic thing to berate you on. My apologies.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Gerhabio

@mutha3: It's cool, I'm pretty alert at racial/gender discrimination myself. I won't say "because Japan" anymore because now I can see how it could be offensive to a Japanese person.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By AzHP
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Junpei

I actually have played through the entire game with my girlfriend. I played on my own and when we were playing together I did the puzzle sections while she answered all the questions and chose who to talk to. It actually was a lot of fun. Course she was just as excited for the game as I was after I weaned her off her Final Fantasy dependency and introduced her to the world of Atlus and SMT. Ah, good times.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Daroki

@LiquidElite said:

thankfully for me, my girlfriend has a sick and twisted mind like me. we kill the hookers for our money back :P

*laugh* I remember when my wife was working at a retail chain and had someone who got upset at her for not selling his 10 year old son a copy of GTA 3, and she dropped the "I like killing the hookers then running them over with my car so I can get my money back. Is that the game you want me to sell your 10 year old?" line on him. Worst part, his answer was yes... *sigh*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.