Please help

#1 Posted by cire147258369 (62 posts) -

I am a huge fan of Atlus and all there games and this game looks great to....but i only heard the game is like 12 hours long but people say it has replay ability.

I wana how good the replay ability is i mean the puzzles have to be the same and inless the game drastically changes in other ways depending on the way you play then 60$ might be to much money.

Anyone who knows anything about it or can shine some light for me would be great

#2 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

12 hours is short only in comparison to Persona.

#3 Posted by cire147258369 (62 posts) -

Compared to persona it is very short lol but im only 17 so i dont have alot of extra money so a 12 hour game is a little short

#4 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@cire147258369:

Yeah, I remember those days. Not being able to go out and buy any game you want sucks. Although, I would suggest that a job would remedy the situation.

#5 Posted by shamroll (145 posts) -

From what I've heard, the replay is in playing a nice guy or playing a jerk.  How you act around the two girls affects the game but I don't think the puzzles change.  I could be misinformed but it probably isn't a lot of long term replay value.   

To get the most for you money you could either wait for a used copy or buy it new and power through it to get the most trade-in value.

#6 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

I heard it's more like 15 hours than 12, but you seem hesitant so perhaps you should just rent it or wait for a price drop.

#7 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@shamroll said:
From what I've heard, the replay is in playing a nice guy or playing a jerk. 
Nah, there's 8 endings and none of them skew that closely to the usual retarded Bioware crap("SUPREME ALMIGHTY SAINT"or "ORPHAN DESTROYING DICKBAG") from what those who played it are saying.

Also, there's the babel tower thing to complete and rapunzel. Besides, there are "s-link" type things present in Catherine with the side characters. I'm pretty sure you can't view all of those in one playthrough.
#8 Posted by Ub3rSlug (152 posts) -

@cire147258369 said:

I wana how good the replay ability is i mean the puzzles have to be the same and inless the game drastically changes in other ways depending on the way you play then 60$ might be to much money.

I remember hearing something (most likely from the Catherine Quick Look EX the guys did, though I can't go back and watch it again to confirm right now) that the puzzles you do at night would change depending on how drunk you got in the bar before going to sleep. It might be purely a difficulty based change, i.e. the more you drink, the harder the puzzles are.

Anyone else remember hearing something like this? (Or am I crazy?)

#9 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1255 posts) -

This just makes me look more forward to the game!

#10 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Just trade it in as soon as then, and get a bunch of money. Solved

#11 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Ub3rSlug said:

@cire147258369 said:

I remember hearing something (most likely from the Catherine Quick Look EX the guys did, though I can't go back and watch it again to confirm right now) that the puzzles you do at night would change depending on how drunk you got in the bar before going to sleep. It might be purely a difficulty based change, i.e. the more you drink, the harder the puzzles are.

Anyone else remember hearing something like this? (Or am I crazy?)

it's more like the more you drink the harder Vincent is to control, though he is faster he's a lot less accurate (so I remember) If you want replayability just change up the difficulty which does change the puzzles.
#12 Posted by Daroki (709 posts) -

@cire147258369 said:

I am a huge fan of Atlus and all there games and this game looks great to....but i only heard the game is like 12 hours long but people say it has replay ability.

Anyone who knows anything about it or can shine some light for me would be great

Have you grabbed the demo off of Xbox Live or PSN? It'll give you a little taste of what's to come. Try getting gold medals in the climbing levels and you'll see some of the replay in it is also figuring out the optimal paths to take (which I'm sure later in the game are going to be mind-melting).

#13 Posted by Scattergories (51 posts) -
@mutha3 said: 
Nah, there's 8 endings and none of them skew that closely to the usual retarded Bioware crap("SUPREME ALMIGHTY SAINT"or "ORPHAN DESTROYING DICKBAG") from what those who played it are saying.  Also, there's the babel tower thing to complete and rapunzel. Besides, there are "s-link" type things present in Catherine with the side characters. I'm pretty sure you can't view all of those in one playthrough.
That sounds a lot more like the re-playability that Atlus would build in to a game. Focusing on how you treat characters and the relational side of it. I'm not sure if I am excited about this game but I know that if you gauge games based on length vs. dollars you should be only be playing JRPGs because that is where the ratio is the highest, but if you are like me and play games for fun rather than for statistical supremacy you should rent it or play the demo before buying. 
#14 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

@cire147258369:

Yeah, I remember those days. Not being able to go out and buy any game you want sucks. Although, I would suggest that a job would remedy the situation.

Yep; get a job ya bum

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18905 posts) -

Don't forget that are multiple endings.  You can go with Katherine on one playthrough then Catherine on the next one.  Plus there are achievements/trophies to get so there is stuff to do.

#16 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
@shamroll said:
Nah, there's 8 endings and none of them skew that closely to the usual retarded Bioware crap("SUPREME ALMIGHTY SAINT"or "ORPHAN DESTROYING DICKBAG") from what those who played it are saying.  Also, there's the babel tower thing to complete and rapunzel. Besides, there are "s-link" type things present in Catherine with the side characters. I'm pretty sure you can't view all of those in one playthrough.
There's an achievement for helping all of them out.
#17 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
@mutha3 said:
@shamroll said:
There's also achievements for helping them out individually.

......which is likely what triggers it.
#18 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
@DonutFever said:
@mutha3 said:
@shamroll said:
There's also achievements for helping them out individually.  ......which is likely what triggers it.
True.
#19 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

I would prefer a six hour game, but eh. Twelve is decent.

#20 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

12 hours is a long time for a game that's not an RPG. That said, if you're low on money this might not be the game you want to buy.

#21 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

I have the same problem but I have two weeks to come up with sixty bucks for my pre order
#22 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

@mutha3: You can help them all out in one play through. It's just hard

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.