So Here Are the Catherine Achievements...

#1 Edited by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

...but they're all in Japanese sadly. Linky
(EDIT December 3: The list is no longer available, for whatever reason. Good thing we got it translated before it went offline)

Ah well, looks standard enough. 50 achievements for 1000 points, guess Japan will see the release in time at least if the achievements are already out. If anyone know any Japanese, feel free to add a comment.

Translation made by Pepsiman (thanks!):

Normal Achievements

• The First Dream: Clear the first stage.
  • Love is Everything: Resolve Daniel's issues.
  • The Remedy for Love: Resolve Artie's issues.
  • Crossing a Mountain's Worth of Puzzles: Clear Rapunzel's 64th stage.
  • Menhil's Conquest: Clear Babel 2, Menhir.
  • The Journalist's Decision: Resolve Justin's issues.
  • All Endings Found: View all of the endings.
  • A Man and His Mail: Send over 20 replies to your messages and, on the last day, leave the bar.
  • Colosseum Mode Unlocked: Clear the game and unlock Colosseum Mode.
  • Nameless Hero: Resolve everyone's problems.
  • Tonight, It's This Song: Change the song on the lounge's junkebox.
  • An Explosive Slump: Blow up over 15 stones simultaneously. (Golden Theater Play)
  • Birdman: Jump on three Jump Stones consecutively. (Golden Theater Play)
  • The Man Who Pushed: Push five stones into place.  (Golden Theater Play)
  • The Man Who Let Things Slip: Have over five ice blocks slide over. (Golden Theater Play)
  • Graduating from Control: Resolve Todd's issues.
  • One Last Drink: Resolve Morgan's issues.
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race: Push the black stone ten times consecutively. (Golden Theater Play)
  • Five-Star Man: Get the Gold Prize for five stages on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 3's challenge.
  • Obelisk's Conquest: Clear Babel 3, Obelisk.
  • Cheers to the Best Night: Get all of the other achievements.
  • Professor Cocktail: Listen to all the pieces of cocktail trivia.
  • Professor Whiskey: Listen to all the pieces of whiskey trivia.
  • Professor Sake: Listen to all the pieces of sake trivia. [Note: Sake as in the Japanese drink, not sake as in "for your sake."]
  • Professor Beer: Listen to all the pieces of beer trivia.
  • Altar's Conquest: Clear Babel 1, Altar.
  • Three-Star Man: Get the Gold Prize for three stages on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 2's challenge.
  • And Then There Was No One: Stay at the bar until all the customers have left.
  • An Invitation to Babel: Get your first Gold Prize on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 1's challenge.

Secret Achievements

• Clock Tower Navigator: Clear Stage 6.
  • Traversing the Stormy Courtyard: Clear Stage 5.
  • Towards Renewed Freedom: Clear Stage 9.
  • Crossing the Altar Road: Clear Stage 7.
  • Sinners' Prison Breakout: Clear Stage 2.
  • The Trial's Acquittal: Clear Stage 4.
  • Breaking Into the Torture Room: Clear Stage 3.
  • Just Like the Old Days: See the Lovers' Reconciliation ending. (Normal Lover)
  • Never-Ending Travels: See the Trip Ending. (True Freedom)
  • A Night of Insomnia: See the Adulterers' Reconciliation ending. (Normal Adulterer)
  • Immortal Man: See the Adulterer's Abandonment ending. (Bad Adulterer)
  • A Good Day for a Trip: See the Lovers' Marriage ending. (True Lover)
  • An Achievement Most Legendary: Clear Stage 8.
  • Good Night, Baby: See the Lover's Abandonment ending. (Bad Lover)
  • Emperor of the Night: See the Adulterers' Marriage ending. (True Adulterer)
  • Kiss My Ass: See the Solo Man's Ending. (Normal Freedom)
  • Challenger to the Gods: Get all of the Gold Prizes on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 4's challenge.
  • The Birth of a God: Clear Final Babel, Axis Mundi.
  • Legendary Prince: See the truth about Rapunzel.
  • The Golden Man: Get all of the Gold Prizes on Hard.
  • The Puzzles to End All Puzzles: Find the hidden Rapunzel.
#2 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

ok, no problem.
*yell*:PEPSIMAN WE NEED YOUR DUCKING HELP IN  HERE!

#3 Edited by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I can't bear to look for fear of spoiling myself when someone translates them. Even the pictures could be spoilers, really. I'd prefer to be in the dark on Catherine until I get to play it myself. Still haven't gotten over spoiling the Heavy Rain ending.

#4 Edited by Droop (1848 posts) -

Google translate those foos?

Dr. Sake
I heard all the trivia sake.

makes 100% sense.

#5 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" ...but they're all in Japanese sadly. Linky.  Ah well, looks standard enough. 50 achievements for 1000 points, guess Japan will see the release in time at least if the achievements are already out. If anyone know any Japanese, feel free to add a comment. "
Google Chrome offers to translate the page for you.
#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Droop said:

" Google translate those foos?  Dr. Sake I heard all the trivia sake.  makes 100% sense. "

DONE!. ANd well..goggle translate sort of fails.
#7 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Those achievements are pretty damn awesome.

And holy shit......that's a lot of optional endings there.

#8 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

These achievements tell us there are three additional gameplay modes(unlocked after finishing the game)

-Golden Theather Mode

-Invitation to Babel

-Vs mode(wtf!?)

#9 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Droop said:

" Google translate those foos?  Dr. Sake I heard all the trivia sake.  makes 100% sense. "

DONE!. ANd well..goggle translate sort of fails.
"
A lot of people solving problems it seems!
#10 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
#11 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Beer, Whiskey, Cocktail, and Sake trivia?
I'm listening

#12 Posted by damswedon (3185 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" Beer, Whiskey, Cocktail, and Sake trivia?
I'm listening "
GOTY!! 
But seriously this need to get translated.
#13 Edited by Pepsiman (2470 posts) -

Tiwi called me out for achievement help since I'm actually a Japanese major and can make sense out of all that without online translators, so I'll contribute for shits and giggles. I will put up a slight disclaimer that some of these titles don't translate directly into English all that well, so in some instances, I'll take some liberties, but still adhere to the spirit of the original Japanese. Definitely some variety in what you're doing, as other people have pointed out.

Normal Achievements

• The First Dream: Clear the first stage.
  • Love is Everything: Resolve Daniel's issues.
  • The Remedy for Love: Resolve Artie's issues.
  • Crossing a Mountain's Worth of Puzzles: Clear Rapunzel's 64th stage.
  • Menhil's Conquest: Clear Babel 2, Menhir.
  • The Journalist's Decision: Resolve Justin's issues.
  • All Endings Found: View all of the endings.
  • A Man and His Mail: Send over 20 replies to your messages and, on the last day, leave the bar.
  • Colosseum Mode Unlocked: Clear the game and unlock Colosseum Mode.
  • Nameless Hero: Resolve everyone's problems.
  • Tonight, It's This Song: Change the song on the lounge's junkebox.
  • An Explosive Slump: Blow up over 15 stones simultaneously. (Golden Theater Play)
  • Birdman: Jump on three Jump Stones consecutively. (Golden Theater Play)
  • The Man Who Pushed: Push five stones into place.  (Golden Theater Play)
  • The Man Who Let Things Slip: Have over five ice blocks slide over. (Golden Theater Play)
  • Graduating from Control: Resolve Todd's issues.
  • One Last Drink: Resolve Morgan's issues.
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race: Push the black stone ten times consecutively. (Golden Theater Play)
  • Five-Star Man: Get the Gold Prize for five stages on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 3's challenge.
  • Obelisk's Conquest: Clear Babel 3, Obelisk.
  • Cheers to the Best Night: Get all of the other achievements.
  • Professor Cocktail: Listen to all the pieces of cocktail trivia.
  • Professor Whiskey: Listen to all the pieces of whiskey trivia.
  • Professor Sake: Listen to all the pieces of sake trivia. [Note: Sake as in the Japanese drink, not sake as in "for your sake."]
  • Professor Beer: Listen to all the pieces of beer trivia.
  • Altar's Conquest: Clear Babel 1, Altar.
  • Three-Star Man: Get the Gold Prize for three stages on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 2's challenge.
  • And Then There Was No One: Stay at the bar until all the customers have left.
  • An Invitation to Babel: Get your first Gold Prize on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 1's challenge.

Secret Achievements

• Clock Tower Navigator: Clear Stage 6.
  • Traversing the Stormy Courtyard: Clear Stage 5.
  • Towards Renewed Freedom: Clear Stage 9.
  • Crossing the Altar Road: Clear Stage 7.
  • Sinners' Prison Breakout: Clear Stage 2.
  • The Trial's Acquittal: Clear Stage 4.
  • Breaking Into the Torture Room: Clear Stage 3.
  • Just Like the Old Days: See the Lovers' Reconciliation ending. (Normal Lover)
  • Never-Ending Travels: See the Trip Ending. (True Freedom)
  • A Night of Insomnia: See the Adulterers' Reconciliation ending. (Normal Adulterer)
  • Immortal Man: See the Adulterer's Abandonment ending. (Bad Adulterer)
  • A Good Day for a Trip: See the Lovers' Marriage ending. (True Lover)
  • An Achievement Most Legendary: Clear Stage 8.
  • Good Night, Baby: See the Lover's Abandonment ending. (Bad Lover)
  • Emperor of the Night: See the Adulterers' Marriage ending. (True Adulterer)
  • Kiss My Ass: See the Solo Man's Ending. (Normal Freedom)
  • Challenger to the Gods: Get all of the Gold Prizes on Normal or higher. Also get the prize for Babel Stage 4's challenge.
  • The Birth of a God: Clear Final Babel, Axis Mundi.
  • Legendary Prince: See the truth about Rapunzel.
  • The Golden Man: Get all of the Gold Prizes on Hard.
  • The Puzzles to End All Puzzles: Find the hidden Rapunzel.

As a side note, I wouldn't trust Google Translate to handle Japanese all that well at all. Somebody with no experience in the language who just looks up all the Kanji individually in an online dictionary could intuit a better translation than anything a computer can put out. The language is way too implicit and nuanced to trust to a machine yet.
#14 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

So it's gonna be structured like way of the samurai or what? That's sort of what I gathered. A shorter game that need be completed several times to complete it?

#15 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

I like some of the names. Cheers for a great night!, Dr. Whisky, Prince of the Legend for example.

#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

Are there any spoilers in the achievements? I'd love to get all of the Catherine info I possibly could, but I want to avoid spoiling any or story/gameplay elements. I wish we were getting the game at the same time as Japan...

#17 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I need to unlock the "Solve Justin's problem" achievement. It must be done. But which problem will it solve???

#18 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: 
Same man. At this point I even doubt we'll see it in the EU anytime soon. US have Atlus U.S.A. to sort their releases, but there's no such thing in EU. :(
#19 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Are there any spoilers in the achievements? I'd love to get all of the Catherine info I possibly could, but I want to avoid spoiling any or story/gameplay elements. I wish we were getting the game at the same time as Japan... "
The Secret achievements seem to hint at different ways the game could end, otherwise I'd say not so much.
#20 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ:  No real spoilers. Mostly gameplay related stuff. 

Unless you consider the names of the ending and the amount of them a spoiler, if you do, avoid the secret achievements.

@Pepsiman:
Thanks!
#21 Posted by Karkarov (3067 posts) -

I don't know the secret achievements relating to the ending aren't really spoilers.  Anyone who has followed the game to this point could have easily guessed at least 3 of them, if not all of them.  I am sure everyone is excited about the trivia though.  I can see t now Vincent is at the bar in a deep conversation and gets a call on his cell from Katherine....  "Kathy shut up, I am having an important conversation here about whiskey and beer!"

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

Something to note: every type of ending has a "Normal", "True" and "Bad" version with the sole exception being the "Freedom" one that doesn't have any bad variation.

#23 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@CrazyChris: If you look back, I think it'd be most probable that Square Enix or Koei took care of us Europeans, I really doubt that they would neglect releasing Catherine here, though we will probably have to wait a little while longer than the rest...
#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14070 posts) -

Professor Beer might be the best achievement name I've seen in a long time.

#25 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
#26 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4704 posts) -

Hmmm, if this is one of those 8 hourish games with dramatically different stories and endings depending on how you play, it could eat up my life like that old PS2 game did. What was that called? Shadow of Memories or something?

#27 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Hmmm, if this is one of those 8 hourish games with dramatically different stories and endings depending on how you play, it could eat up my life like that old PS2 game did. What was that called? Shadow of Memories or something? "
Its twenty hours, actually. And most of the endings sound like slight variations from each other. I'm guessing there's three main endings and each one has a bad, normal and true variation. Except for the freedom ending, they've only got normal and true.

Just like real life:P.
#28 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

So..
Single
Girlfriend
Mistress

And the many variations XD Yeah I'm going to try and do them all.

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10894 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: I don't know what you're talking about. The Engrish seems fine to me. 
#30 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@Cerogravian: 
If the game is released in February in Japan I guess it's at least another 6 months before US and EU sees it, if it's even released in both regions at the same time.

Hopefully Atlus have a surprise up their sleeve and already have the game localized for February. :)
#31 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -
@CrazyChris:   
  There you go
#32 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

I really hope Jeff and Vinny reconsider their no more atlus games policy for a future ER. I really want to see what this game is like, yet can't ever see myself playing it.

#33 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@nohthink: 
Why thank you!
#34 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -
@nohthink said:

" There you go "

If you're inferring what I think you are, written translation really isn't the same as dubs, especially when Atlus does a fantastic job with English localization and when their voice actors are generally great as well. 

@sixghost said: 

" I really hope Jeff and Vinny reconsider their no more atlus games policy for a future ER. I really want to see what this game is like, yet can't ever see myself playing it. "

That's what Quick Looks are for, right? You'll totally be able to see what the game is like. And maybe Atlus actually told them "That Persona 4 Endurance Run was great, but never do that with any of our games again." and that's why they're so adamant about never doing an Atlus ER again in the future.    
#35 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: lol I did not mean that way at all. He wanted Pepsi man, I gave him Pepsi man.
#36 Posted by pekoe212 (442 posts) -

It looks like they took the Catherine achievements list off the website. 

#37 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -

Eight possible endings? Damn...

#38 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" I really hope Jeff and Vinny reconsider their no more atlus games policy for a future ER. I really want to see what this game is like, yet can't ever see myself playing it. "
if I was Atlus, I would take legal action against them for doing it again :/
#39 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

Damn I want this released in the US so badly! Why won't you make the announcement Atlus? WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME?!?!?!?  

#40 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" @sixghost said:
if I was Atlus, I would take legal action against them for doing it again :/ "
Considering that the ER undoubtedly turned tons of GB users into Persona fans... why? They started the P4 ER a couple months after the release of that game, so it's not like they were spoiling the story right out of the gate.
#41 Posted by ch3burashka (5040 posts) -

I'm guessing that "resolving ___ issues" is maxing out an S. Link. I'm glad they're still intact - I just hope they're as good as the Persona ones. I still love P3's Maya S. Link, I consider it a pinnacle of character development in gaming. 

As for the stones, that hints at the gameplay. It seems to be puzzle-based. From the extremely limited information, it reminds me of Battle Block Theatre, but without the Battle. That's Behemoth's next game, btw. 

Also, there's Biblical and fairy-tale references. I'm guessing they're both involved in the dreams somehow, the Biblical stuff being mostly allegorical/metaphorical.  

This got me even more pumped for the game. BRING IT THE HELL ON, ATLUS!!!

#42 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@CrazyChris:  Your linky doesn't work for me, I see 0 achievements. Do I need to register with that site?

I'd like to see the achievements in their original language, so could someone please direct me to a page where I can view them?
#43 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@BombKareshi: 
That's really weird, I swear that when I posted the thread there was a full list of Catherine's achievements there. Seems they've taken them down now, no idea why...maybe because they felt it was not needed to have them up when they were in Japanese, but who knows?

Sorry, don't know what happened to it. :(
#44 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @BombKareshi:    Sorry, don't know what happened to it. :( "
They pulled them down after Atlus found out. Those achievements weren't supposed to go online yet.
#45 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

Aww, that sucks, man. I wanted to see the Japanese names/descriptions.

I don't suppose Pepsi saved a copy when he translated them?

#46 Posted by Pepsiman (2470 posts) -
@BombKareshi: Nah, I'm sorry, but I didn't. I wasn't expecting something like this to happen for some reason, so the thought didn't even cross my mind. My bad.
#47 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@Pepsiman: You couldn't have known. It's cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.