The Catherine Frustration Thread

• 83 results
#1 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

Here we bitch and moan about stages that keep kicking our ass, and maybe give tips to previous posters.  I'll start.

"The immoral beast is getting closer..."  It just wouldn't be an Persona Team game without a vagina monster huh?

#2 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

you having trouble with her? Are you on normal or easy or? I beat her on easy, i'm tackling normal when i get the game.

#3 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -
@Catolf said:
you having trouble with her? Are you on normal or easy or? I beat her on easy, i'm tackling normal when i get the game.
I actually didn't notice the glowing red blocks the first few times.  thought I had to duck underneath the hanging blocks to block the "love shower".  My point on vagina monsters still stand!
#4 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Turambar said:
@Catolf said:
I actually didn't notice the glowing red blocks the first few times.  thought I had to duck underneath the hanging blocks to block the "love shower".  My point on vagina monsters still stand!
you do, but you can also shimmy over on the side to avoid it (even if your hanging on the blocks as long as your more out of the way. The easiest way is to just hide under the blocks, even if you find them two or three spaces above you they will sheild you from the shower. 

Vagooo monstaaahhh
#5 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Blew 15 continues on the immoral beast on normal and then realized I hadn't saved since midway through night 2. Working my way back now but I'm stuck on the first puzzle of night 3. This game kicks my ass in all the right ways.

#6 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

My frustration is that I can't play it.  

#7 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

I am STILL recovering from the all-nighter I pulled trying to beat the game many months ago.

#8 Posted by SixtyXCelph (211 posts) -
@DonutFever said:
My frustration is that I can't play it.  

That is quite frustrating.  I'm lucky in that I only have to wait until I get home from work to play it.
#9 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

Just a heads up but if you have JP Trophy Data for Catherine, the English version will just use it

#10 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

*looks at map* Yepp... still in Europe.  

*sigh* I'll be back guys...

#11 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

I can't play it until my girlfriend (Who's put in over 150 hours on Persona 4) gets home from work.

It's oddly fitting for this game isn't it?

#12 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -
@tiwi said:
*looks at map* Yepp... still in Europe.   *sigh* I'll be back guys...
yep
#13 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

Ice stages suck.  That is all.

#14 Posted by ChrisTaran (1615 posts) -

@Bocam: Sweet. That's some trophies out of the way already then!

#15 Posted by bslayer (222 posts) -

the nightmare that's centralized on making the blocks fall keeps pissing me off.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@bslayer said:

the nightmare that's centralized on making the blocks fall keeps pissing me off.

Inquisition? 4-1? oh my god! my mind DOESNT WORK THAT WAY

#17 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -
@tiwi said:
Import it
#18 Posted by metalsnakezero (2297 posts) -
@Matoya said:
@tiwi said:
Import it
Catherine will come to Europe but that is a long wait. 

Playing the game is great. Play on a PS3 that is running the fan speed at level 4, not so great. Getting a new PS3 by the end of the week so I'll have to deal with the fan noise for a bit. 
Also finding a deluxe 360 that isn't for preorders people is a pain. 
#19 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -
@metalsnakezero said:
@Matoya said:
@tiwi said:
Import it
Catherine will come to Europe but that is a long wait.  Playing the game is great. Play on a PS3 that is running the fan speed at level 4, not so great. Getting a new PS3 by the end of the week so I'll have to deal with the fan noise for a bit. Also finding a deluxe 360 that isn't for preorders people is a pain. 
I want to get the deluxe edition. and I'll prolly end up getting it. you know, boxer briefs n' all.
#20 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1667 posts) -

So there are 64 Rapunzel stages? I'm stuck on stage 5.

#21 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@SpunkyHePanda said:
So there are 64 Rapunzel stages? I'm stuck on stage 5.
and also there is 64 reverse Rapunzel stages as well.
#22 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -
@bslayer said:
In the fourth stage? Yeah, that one was confusing as hell for me. Don't think I ever really wrapped my head around it, just got lucky at some point. And then when I had to face that baby afterwards I just about lost it. Think I'm gonna knock down the difficulty to easy from here on out. Four out of eight stages on normal ain't bad.
#23 Posted by afrofools (1348 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85: Stop spending all your time drinking at the bar! /jk

#24 Posted by yami4ct (156 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Here we bitch and moan about stages that keep kicking our ass, and maybe give tips to previous posters. I'll start. "The immoral beast is getting closer..." It just wouldn't be an Persona Team game without a vagina monster huh?

Pretty sure that wasn't a vagina monster given Vincent's conversation with Catherine in the morning. I quickly had the realization of what it actually is, not too subtle about it, and kind of had a 'oh god' moment.

For me, playing on normal, my main frustration is the way the continue system is working for me. I'll have stretches where I'm perpetually running out, and than others where I'm getting way more than I could ever use. I just wish when you lost at the beginning of a level, it didn't take one away, and when you lose them all it would just make you restart the level, not go to the title screen. Dumping my back to the title screen seems dumb and archaic.

#25 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Stage 5 boss. Blew a solid hour and a half and still didn't beat it.

"What if we put a boss in the game that had a 4 block wide attack that knocks the player all the way down? And if he doesn't restart instantly just have the boss insta-kill him"

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -
@yami4ct said:

@Turambar said:

Here we bitch and moan about stages that keep kicking our ass, and maybe give tips to previous posters. I'll start. "The immoral beast is getting closer..." It just wouldn't be an Persona Team game without a vagina monster huh?

Pretty sure that wasn't a vagina monster given Vincent's conversation with Catherine in the morning. I quickly had the realization of what it actually is, not too subtle about it, and kind of had a 'oh god' moment.

Oh. Oooh...
#27 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@yami4ct said:

@Turambar said:

Oh. Oooh...
Wait what?
#28 Posted by dvdhaus (356 posts) -

I have a problem where the game to me doesn't seem balanced. I'm playing on easy and the normal levels seem easy. There are some head scratching parts to figure out which blocks you need to put where, but the time aspect is fairly forgiving. Also you hardly die on those stages due to the bottom of the puzzle catching up to you, more of a oops moved the wrong block now I'm stuck and have to restart. The boss stages though seem to have been left on a higher difficulty because I am constantly inches away from the monster most of the time, and when I do seem to get ahead of the monster it somehow quickens to catch up. These stages seem to me less puzzley and more fly-by-the-seat of your boxers type. Making me not want to continue playing even though I just got the game yesterday.

I'm on the 5th floor boss with the Ice blocks and the monster power is basically a fall to the bottom rain that if you get hit with it your dead. I thought the one where if it hits you it reverses your control was cool and managable.

So much for playing this game for the story.

#29 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I start all my games on Hard. Last night I started Catherine on Hard, that was a mistake. 

#30 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin: If I tried to play Catherine on hard I'd probably lose my sanity lol.
#31 Posted by LeetBalla (698 posts) -

I finished the game in 10.5 hours on normal. I expected it to a lot harder based on what people said before the U.S. release. Going to try it on hard and see if I can keep my sanity.

#32 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I've gotten to the stage with ice blocks, and its been kicking my ass.  It's often not because the stage is inherently that difficult, but because I just plum forget that the blocks are fucking ice and that I'll slip on them. 
So I'll be going about my routine, then zone out and step on an ice block.  Then I fall off the stage and die.  Then I curse.

#33 Posted by Marokai (2982 posts) -

I just got bad karma points on the morality meter for telling someone I didn't believe in an afterlife. Yes, I know that this being the most irritating thing to me about the game so far is petty.

#34 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

Im stuck on stage 6, second floor. The middle section keeps kickin my ass, I cant get passed the middle part.
#35 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

Ice levels suck...

#36 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -
@Marokai said:

I just got bad karma points on the morality meter for telling someone I didn't believe in an afterlife. Yes, I know that this being the most irritating thing to me about the game so far is petty.

Why do you consider it "bad karma"? 

I'm pretty sure the intention is Vincent either matching his tastes/beliefs with Catherine's or Katherine's. In this case, Catherine doesn't believe in an afterlife while Katherine does and by making Vincent a non-believer, you match his personality more towards Catherine.
#37 Edited by Bocam (3755 posts) -

@Nux: Just wait until you have to do Ice levels in the dark

@FluxWaveZ: The meter actually measures "Chaos" and "Order".

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -
@Bocam said: 

Doesn't that mean exactly what I said? Katherine represents order and Catherine represents chaos.
#39 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

LOVE IS OVER

#40 Posted by Marokai (2982 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Bocam said: 

Doesn't that mean exactly what I said? Katherine represents order and Catherine represents chaos.
I dunno, I find some of the choices and morality responses based from them really ridiculous. I go into chaos if I pick cats over dogs. I went into chaos for telling a guy to stay healthy instead of overwork himself, I went into chaos for telling someone on one of the landings in the nightmare that I answer questions honestly. It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If I had to pick my biggest problem with the game I would probably go with these issues. It's complete guesswork.
#41 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -
@Marokai: I wouldn't say it's complete guesswork, as most of these choices do make sense, but I will agree that they don't too often. A lot of the times, it's weird how they determine which side of the alignment meter is increased with a decision.
#42 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -
@yami4ct said:

I just wish when you lost at the beginning of a level, it didn't take one away, and when you lose them all it would just make you restart the level, not go to the title screen. Dumping my back to the title screen seems dumb and archaic.

Well, you know... Japan. :)
#43 Posted by golguin (3932 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
@yami4ct said:

@Turambar said:

Oh. Oooh...
Wait what?

It looked like a heart shaped butt to me. I don't know where this vagina stuff is coming from.

#44 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1667 posts) -

6-3 on Normal, lost over and over again, twenty lives or so, no checkpoint in sight, not sure what I was doing wrong, didn't feel like I was learning from my mistakes. Might have to suck up my pride and switch to Easy.

#45 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -
@SpunkyHePanda: 6-3 was definitely the hardest level I've experienced (though I'm at 7-2; on normal). It took me a ton of tries, but man did it feel good when I succeeded. And 6-4 was ridiculously easy in comparison.
#46 Posted by joshth (505 posts) -

Just finished my first run through.  Easily the hardest stage is 7  I actually had to look up a video of someone doing it at one point and copying them.  Wierdly enough the stages after 7 were much easier.
#47 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -
@golguin said:

@Turambar said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
@yami4ct said:

@Turambar said:

Oh. Oooh...
Wait what?

It looked like a heart shaped butt to me. I don't know where this vagina stuff is coming from.

Think about where its mouth and tongue is coming out of.
#48 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

SPOILER ABOUT FINAL LEVEL DONT CLICK UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED OR HAVE BEATEN THE GAME

#49 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

@JJOR64: That ain't the final level, bro. Also FUCK THOMAS MUTTON AND FUCK ATLUS FOR FOR MAKING IT HARDER

#50 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
@Bocam: Yeah, I figured that out.  Still trucking along.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.