The Least Realistic Part of Catherine...

#1 Posted by AzHP (156 posts) -

How can a 32 year old engineer have no money? Vincent eats out at sushi every other day, and yet he can't pay his bar tab? It doesn't make any sense!

#2 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4979 posts) -

ANIME VIDEO GAMES!!!!

#3 Posted by supermike6 (3602 posts) -

You're right. 

Fuck that game.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19373 posts) -

Because he sucks with money? It's probably because he smokes so much, because he drinks so much and because he always buys new phones and devices the day they come out that he lacks cash.

#5 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Well not everyone can be Isaac Clarke... Wait, what? But seriously, that red afro seems way more unrealistic.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@valrog said:
Well not everyone can be Isaac Clarke... Wait, what? But seriously, that red afro seems way more unrealistic.
What's unrealistic about a red afro? I had one when I was a youngin'
#7 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@valrog said:
Not the color, the size.
#8 Posted by DonutFever (3559 posts) -
@valrog said:
@CL60 said:
@valrog said:
Not the color, the size.
#9 Posted by AzHP (156 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because he sucks with money? It's probably because he smokes so much, because he drinks so much and because he always buys new phones and devices the day they come out that he lacks cash.

But I mean...he doesn't even pay his bar tab...and look at his apartment! There's nothing in there...what is he spending his money on? The game doesn't exactly make it clear what part of the country he lives in, but I'm assuming it's in the USA, he's got to be making 6 figures if he's at all decent at his job...

#10 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

He just got a new job so he has no money. He says this every night, everytime you try to use the ATM.

#11 Posted by DonutFever (3559 posts) -
@AzHP said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

But I mean...he doesn't even pay his bar tab...and look at his apartment! There's nothing in there...what is he spending his money on? The game doesn't exactly make it clear what part of the country he lives in, but I'm assuming it's in the USA, he's got to be making 6 figures if he's at all decent at his job...

He's got that computer. Katherine says he's been replacing things like that and his cell too much. 
As for where the game takes place, if you get the True Freedom Ending you find out: 
#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19373 posts) -
@AzHP: The game takes place in the U.S. (some also argue it takes place on an American space colony), but it's not like every software engineer gets paid. And, just like Vorbis mentioned, he just got a new job.
#13 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

He just got a new job so he has no money. He says this every night, everytime you try to use the ATM.

In a 80+ hour game he still doesn't have a dime? That's it, I'm not playing this plot holes-ridden game.
#14 Posted by AzHP (156 posts) -

@valrog said:

@Vorbis said:

In a 80+ hour game he still doesn't have a dime? That's it, I'm not playing this plot holes-ridden game.

It's closer to a 15 hour long game and takes place over a 9 day period, so it could be between pay periods. =P

#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@AzHP said:

@valrog said:

@Vorbis said:

It's closer to a 15 hour long game and takes place over a 9 day period, so it could be between pay periods. =P

15? Somehow I got the impression this game was really long. Well, I'm still waiting for a PC version, by the time they make it hopefully Vincent won't be so poor anymore xD
#16 Posted by natetodamax (19216 posts) -

@valrog said:

@Vorbis said:

WHOA, if you spent 80 hours playing Catherine you will have beaten it about 7 or 8 times. Definitely not that long, haha.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19373 posts) -
@valrog: It's definitely a 10-20 hour game. 80 hours in Catherine would be insane. You are aware that this is a relatively difficult puzzle game (and not an RPG), right?
#18 Posted by AzHP (156 posts) -

@natetodamax said:

@valrog said:

@Vorbis said:

WHOA, if you spent 80 hours playing Catherine you will have beaten it about 7 or 8 times. Definitely not that long, haha.

I'm about 30 hours in and have gotten all but one ending, but that's with skipping cutscenes and puzzles.

#19 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@valrog: It's definitely a 10-20 hour game. 80 hours in Catherine would be insane. You are aware that this is a relatively difficult puzzle game (and not an RPG), right?
I have lived in misconception all this time... Damn.
#20 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19373 posts) -
@AzHP said: 

I'm about 30 hours in and have gotten all but one ending, but that's with skipping cutscenes and puzzles.

Well, to counter that, I've played about 32 hours of Golden Playhouse and have gotten all related trophies except for the Rapunzel ones and Text Junkie. You must play a lot of Rapunzel.
#21 Posted by Hoagie (63 posts) -

@AzHP: Wait! You can skip puzzles?

#22 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Hoagie said:

@AzHP: Wait! You can skip puzzles?

yes.. if you gold them.
#23 Posted by Addfwyn (1940 posts) -

I took issue with the fact that Vincent was getting drunk as fast off rum & cokes and beer as he was off whiskey and nihonshu. From experience, I can testify that this does not happen. I even did research just to double-check.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.