Which ending do -YOU- feel is Canon? (all end spoilers)

#1 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I've been wondering what Atlus would say would be the true end for the game, considering there is three and not one, which one do you think is the end all ending? As much sweet and sugar Katherine's end all was I don't think that is it. And as awesome as Catherine's end is, I doubt it too (dammit i wish I didn't cause it's so good, best ending in any game period for me right now) but it seems the true freedom end makes the most sense for the tone of the game. Vincent just get's tired of it.. he did all that fighting to get to the top and what he had to show for it was, well nothing but a new outlook on life.

He didn't need to be tied down to anyone right now, though he did tell boss to keep Catherine on standby so to speak, so who know's, maybe is a combination of both True freedom and Catherine's end, cause lets face it.. Vincent is pimp!

How could I not want this to be cannon? HUH?!
#2 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5284 posts) -

Fucking Satan's daughter in front of Satan.

#3 Posted by Flappy (2273 posts) -

Out of all of the endings, I found the "True Cheater" one to be the most enjoyable.  Sure, the "True Lovers" was nice and heartwarming, but Vincent discovering Boss in his bed then eventually turning into the sexiest demon smurf ever really made it special.

Catherine + Vincent summon for Persona 5!

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

I liked the bad lover ending the best.

Vincent might have been depressed at the moment, but I imagine later he'd realize that he was better off without Katherine.

I've only gotten 3 endings so far though, and don't plan on getting anymore for a while.

#5 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

True Cheater is also my favourite ending.

The ending I think that is Canon is probably either True Lovers or True Freedom

#6 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Flappy said:
Out of all of the endings, I found the "True Cheater" one to be the most enjoyable.  Sure, the "True Lovers" was nice and heartwarming, but Vincent discovering Boss in his bed then eventually turning into the sexiest demon smurf ever really made it special.  Catherine + Vincent summon for Persona 5!
I'm with you every step of the way on how you feel! *highfive*

@FancySoapsMan said:
I liked the bad lover ending the best.  Vincent might have been depressed at the moment, but I imagine later he'd realize that he was better off without Katherine.  I've only gotten 3 endings so far though, and don't plan on getting anymore for a while.

You definatly gotta watch True cheater if you haven't, even just on youtube, it's so good my eyes bleed rainbows.
#7 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

The true cheater ending is awesome, but it makes no goddamn sense in the context of the story and is obviously intended as the joke ending. Its a tough call to make between true lover and true freedom. True Freedom is the only one that leaves space for a sequel with the same character, and giving the huge sales number and Atlus' history, that is a pretty likely possibility.....But if we just consider Vincent's character arc in the game:  

Any of the lover endings fit as a decent conclusion for his character arc. And given the flair/effort put into the true lover ending as opposed to normal/bad, along with it being called "true", I'm going to say true lover fits the best out of those three.

EDIT: And, hey, even though I can't see Vincent as a Persona....

,,,,Having Catherine replace the artwork of the current succubus Persona would work out perfectly.

#8 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
The true cheater ending is awesome, but it makes no goddamn sense in the context of the story and is obviously intended as the joke ending. Its a tough call to make between true lover and true freedom. True Freedom is the only one that leaves space for a sequel with the same character, and giving the huge sales number and Atlus' history, that is a pretty likely possibility.....But if we just consider Vincent's character arc in the game:    Any of the lover endings fit as a decent conclusion for his character arc. And given the flair/effort put into the true freedom ending as opposed to normal/bad, along with it being called "true", I'm going to say true lover fits the best out of those three.  EDIT: And, hey, even though I can't see Vincent as a Persona....  ,,,,Having Catherine replace the artwork of the current succubus Persona would work out perfectly.
As much as i'd like to go for true lover the whole game seemed to be criticizing the choice of marriage as a whole.. every damn quote lol So true freedom seemed the overall choice. But Vincent ended the dreams for people at least as long as he lives. But Catherine as the new Succubus image would be so awesome.

Also did anyone catch in the Catherine true end this skull:

RIP Steve...
#9 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

True Lovers or True Freedom. I haven't played the game more than once, so maybe Vincent's character arc changes more than I think depending on your options, but I feel that True Lovers really did fit him the most. That ending's twist made the most sense, with Eric being hinted at the whole time, while True Freedom's Space felt a little off, and True Cheaters being, while hilarious, not fitting with the game before the twist. Essentially, the ending that has the least to do with the twist wins. 
@Catolf said: 

RIP Steve...
My reaction.
#10 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@DonutFever: When you think about the true Freedom ending it makes what Boss' says have a tiny bit of more weight to it, punishing cheaters and everyone is out in space, so something must have happen to make them be out there, so when boss says he's punishing people for stopping others from procreation who knows, maybe humanity isn't doing so well out there and it makes what he says have a bit more weight.
#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -

True Lovers because that seems to be the direction the game points to at several moments such as Vincent saying stuff like "Wait for me _atherine" during the last night, his thoughts when Katherine breaks up with him, him throwing himself at Katherine during the 8th day nightmare because he doesn't want to lose her, Vincent breaking up with Catherine, etc.

#12 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
@Catolf: Well, he's been doing it for LONG before we ended up in space, because the dreams only happen every 100 years, and the game takes place in 2060.
I just figured that because he's been doing the dreams for centuries, that he thinks that if he stops doing them the population will drop drastically. Like if he hadn't been doing that, we would have been extinct a long time ago?
#13 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
True Lovers because that seems to be the direction the game points to at several moments such as Vincent saying stuff like "Wait for me _atherine" during the last night, his thoughts when Katherine breaks up with him, him throwing himself at Katherine during the 8th day nightmare because he doesn't want to lose her, Vincent breaking up with Catherine, etc.
I didn't play more than once, does he have that whole speech where he says that he's taken Katherine for granted when you have a middling/freedom level on the bar?
#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -
@DonutFever said: 
I didn't play more than once, does he have that whole speech where he says that he's taken Katherine for granted when you have a middling/freedom level on the bar?
Yes. The only things that change depending on the morality meter are the internal monologues when the meter pops up and the game's endings. So scenes like when he talks about taking Katherine for granted are there even if your morality meter is deep in the red.
#15 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@DonutFever said: 
Yes. The only things that change depending on the morality meter are the internal monologues when the meter pops up and the game's endings. So scenes like when he talks about taking Katherine for granted are there even if your morality meter is deep in the red.
OK. That moment makes it pretty clear that it was written with a Lover ending in mind.
#16 Posted by Cathryn (547 posts) -

@mutha3: Totally with you on Catherine becoming the new art asset for Succubus. How sexy would that be?

I would prefer that the True Freedom ending was canon, but based on how the story progresses and on Johnny's statements about Katherine in the True Freedom ending, I think the developers may have intended the True Lover ending to be canon.

#17 Posted by Flappy (2273 posts) -

On a more serious note, I believe that a continuation of "Nighty Night" or "A Life Without Regrets" would be a nice setup for the future.  In both scenarios, Vincent has a group of friends to support him, a full week of life-changing events to reflect upon, and a lot of potential to accomplish things as a bachelor.  From there, he's free to do whatever he likes.

P.S. Catherine as the new Succubus would still be awesome.

#18 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Cathryn said:

@mutha3: Totally with you on Catherine becoming the new art asset for Succubus. How sexy would that be?

I would prefer that the True Freedom ending was canon, but based on how the story progresses and on Johnny's statements about Katherine in the True Freedom ending, I think the developers may have intended the True Lover ending to be canon.

bah i hate sappy endings. Let Vincent go into space and become the next spike! See you later space cowboy!
#19 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -
@Catolf: It's not as if Vincent will be the protagonist in the sequel, if there ever is one. Hell, he might not appear in the game at all, so it doesn't really matter.
#20 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Catolf: It's not as if Vincent will be the protagonist in the sequel, if there ever is one. Hell, he might not appear in the game at all, so it doesn't really matter.
well i kinda figured, if they did something like this again I want a girl to be the lead XD
#21 Posted by Cathryn (547 posts) -

@Catolf said:

bah i hate sappy endings. Let Vincent go into space and become the next spike! See you later space cowboy!

lol, oh no, you've made me so disappointed in myself. I didn't even make that connection when I watched that ending and now I'm kicking myself for it :/

;D

#22 Posted by SixtyXCelph (211 posts) -
@Catolf said:
well i kinda figured, if they did something like this again I want a girl to be the lead XD
w3rd!  This is what I want to happen... @FluxWaveZ, that's my response to your thread about what I'd want from a sequel now.

In my opinion, either True Lover or Bad Lover ending is probably canon.  I would like for True Freedom to be canon, but, that's me.
#23 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Cathryn said:

@Catolf said:

lol, oh no, you've made me so disappointed in myself. I didn't even make that connection when I watched that ending and now I'm kicking myself for it :/

;D

XD

@SixtyXCelph said:
@Catolf said:
w3rd!  This is what I want to happen... @FluxWaveZ, that's my response to your thread about what I'd want from a sequel now.  In my opinion, either True Lover or Bad Lover ending is probably canon.  I would like for True Freedom to be canon, but, that's me.

I'd love if Bad lover or True freedom was canon, or even a combination of both, say he comes back to boss after a few years and calls Catherine out cause he still has that request on standby. XD
#24 Posted by Vlaphor (197 posts) -

True cheaters all the way. It'd give him a good place to climb up from.

Unless the sequel is about climbing down, in which case I'd suggest the Ishtar ending as canon.

#25 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Vlaphor said:

True cheaters all the way. It'd give him a good place to climb up from.

Unless the sequel is about climbing down, in which case I'd suggest the Ishtar ending as canon.

oh yeah I forgot about her end, but that has nothing to do with Vincent though.. XP
#26 Posted by metalsnakezero (2299 posts) -

I felt the True lover ending was the most fitting given how I was playing it. Also I'm a sucker for sappy endings like that after going through the craziness. 

#27 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Hey..Come on now, let's not fun around here....Space.

#28 Posted by Junpei (762 posts) -

@Catolf said:

Hey... Persona 5...make it so I can summon Vincent and Catherine in a battle.. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Personally I hope Vincent's demon form becomes a hidden boss in the next SMT or spin-off game. Kinda like how Nocturne's protagonist was a hidden boss in Digital Devil Saga. That would be awesome.

As for the endings, I'm apt to say the freedom endings. Rarely does everything end up perfectly and honestly, if I tried to tell my ex everything was an illusion and had my friends back me up she'd still call me a liar and storm out.

#29 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Junpei: man I'd love that but the freedom endings do make the most sense overall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.