Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Will Catherine end up like Deadly Premonition?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

Personality, I thought that DP had a great story, but the game play was awful! From what I've heard from people who already played Catherine (out in Japan), its puzzle gameplay is repetitive is dumb, whereas the story is pretty good. Although I have no problem watching people play games with shit gameplay (Deadly Premonition), I ain't spending money on a game if the gameplay is awful. Persona 3/4's gameplay was a tried/true RPG standard, so I can't hate it that much, but Catherine's is both kinda unique and awful. Does anyone else see Catherine as Deadly Premonition 2.0, where reviews will phrase the story but shit on the game play? The issue is that, although Atlus are bros, I can't support games like this, even if the story interests me.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah, I guess that would be an accurate comparison for the reasons you listed. Unlike yourself, I'm willing to overlook a lot of shit for a story haha.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By UnrealDP

Deadly premonition is a great story with broken gameplay and bad visuals, but catherine will have repetitive gameplay and really good graphics, not to mention the amazing story. Also Catherine is published by a huge company and has some renown, so no, im pretty sure its gonna be fine.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mewarmo990

I think it's a stretch to presume that Catherine will receive quite the same reception that Deadly Premonition did, as its production values are much higher. I mean, from a technical standpoint in general, DP is a steaming turd. Your observations about Catherine's gameplay are valid, but it's not like people will take one look at the game and say it's broken.

You also have to realize, the Endurance Run was a huge factor in DP's popularity on Giant Bomb. If they hadn't done it, it would probably be just another bad low-budget game to most of us.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I have to agree that the gameplay in Catherine doesn't exactly look compelling, but the story seems pretty interesting. I'm definitely going to watch a playthrough of it.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By WickedCestus

I feel completely different to you about Deadly Premonition, so I can't say. All I can say is that hopefully I will love Catherine as much as I love DP, and in that way they will be similar.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Crash_Happy

Almost to my own suprise I ordered the game. The block running looks simplistic, but it's probably fun too. I hope it is, and then there's the promising looking storyline.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By daiphyer

I can't play that game with that gameplay. It's just too painful. I would LOVE to see someone else play through it though.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catarrhal

Did you guys not play the demo? I actually thought it was quite enjoyable, although we've all heard that it gets insanely challenging towards the end; nonetheless, I applaud Atlus for trying something new.

As for those of you considering to watch someone else play--seems like a lame choice. Actually, the whole game is about choice, isn't it? Why leave it to someone else?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By niamahai

I want to watch hot cartoon girls fuck.

This game is for me. And you.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The game's a puzzle game. I'd like to see the criticisms of those you mentioned as the only reason they probably don't like it is because they don't like puzzle games of that type or because they were expecting something else, not because Atlus'  vision for the gameplay turned out shitty. Plus, it apparently gets really hard, which I appreciate. 

So no, I don't think it will be a DP situation by what you stated even though I've never played DP.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By benjaebe

Yo, do you like puzzle games? You'll like the gameplay in Catherine because it's a goddamn puzzle game. If you don't like puzzle games....you probably won't. Most of the reviews I've seen out of Japan were positive.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Catolf

@Mcfart said:

Personality, I thought that DP had a great story, but the game play was awful! From what I've heard from people who already played Catherine (out in Japan), its puzzle gameplay is repetitive is dumb, whereas the story is pretty good. Although I have no problem watching people play games with shit gameplay (Deadly Premonition), I ain't spending money on a game if the gameplay is awful. Persona 3/4's gameplay was a tried/true RPG standard, so I can't hate it that much, but Catherine's is both kinda unique and awful. Does anyone else see Catherine as Deadly Premonition 2.0, where reviews will phrase the story but shit on the game play? The issue is that, although Atlus are bros, I can't support games like this, even if the story interests me.
    I really can't wait for the english demo to come over here and make you eat your words. Repetitive and dumb... awful? I'm going to seriously say you never got your hands on the JP demo. Your taking the words of other people in place of your own option. I'm going to say right now, it's IS repetitive, but the solutions are not. It's addicting. You HAVE to do it faster, you HAVE to do it better. Maybe it's because I don't understand the japanese but I have learned not only to appreciate the gameplay, but love it. Love it for how tough it can be, and love it for how rewarding it is, how accomplished you feel when you make it to the goal.

So I hope to see you play the English demo, if you still think the gameplay is how you say now, then that's fine, but at least you tried if for yourself rather than take the word of another person as your own.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

Yo they should of made Catherine a first person shooter. I don't mind shooting guys in the head for 20 hours but a puzzle game... MAN FUCK THAT!!

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catolf
    @RE_Player92 said:

Yo they should of made Catherine a first person shooter. I don't mind shooting guys in the head for 20 hours but a puzzle game... MAN FUCK THAT!!

I wanna shoot sheep men with a pillow gun. Make it happen Atlus.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By kingzetta

but Catherine actually plays well unlike DP.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RE_Player1

@Catolf said:

@RE_Player92 said:

Atlus get this this woman a job ASAP!!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Animasta

I thought the gameplay was fun in the JP demo.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Devoid

It didn't occur to me that people would say stuff like Catherine's gameplay would be awful; it looks like a pretty good puzzle game. Those boss stages look tense, yo.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Cathryn

@Catolf said:

Oh yes, this.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Cathryn said:

@Catolf said:

Oh yes, this.

I wanna shoot pillow men with a sheep gun. SHUT UP AND EAT MY MONEY ATLUS! 

Also, Catherine ain't no Deadly Premonition (though I do like it a lot.)
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269

Catherine doesn't look like it has broken ass gameplay, so no.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Nux

Just put the difficulty on very easy and enjoy the story.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwilitEnd656

I get the feeling some people don't want to think that a puzzle game could be story-driven.

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Soren

Gameplay felt fine to me, though maneuvering behind boxes can be disorienting since the controls effectively reverse. I guess it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I didn't expect people to be so down on the climbing sections.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @Mcfart said:
    The gameplay isn't objectively bad or broken. Repetitive and difficult maybe, but its completely playable and actually something different instead of just another JRPG. I played the demo, I was pretty ok with playing more of that style of game. I wouldn't group it with Deadly Premonition's level of broken mechanics at all. 
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Catolf
    @Soren said:
    Gameplay felt fine to me, though maneuvering behind boxes can be disorienting since the controls effectively reverse. I guess it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I didn't expect people to be so down on the climbing sections.
    Yeah that would be my only complaint right there, i've gotten stuck behind the boxes before and died a few times trying to get back. lol. But maybe people are just afriad of trying new things?

@TwilitEnd656 said:

I get the feeling some people don't want to think that a puzzle game could be story-driven.

pretty much this.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bocam

The only thing broken in Catherine is Rapunzel

Chronopolian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chronopolian

I don´t mind awful gameplay if the story (or even better) the narrative system/semiotics used to potrait it is great. Flower, Sun and Rain is a clear example of this. It´s definitively one of my favorite games of all time and its gameplay (and graphics) are shit, but in the end, the experience of playing through it was worthy.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By BoG

I was playing Tetris the other day. You just do the same thing over and over again. I think they should make it less repetitive by adding in a + block.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
    @Mcfart: Actually, no, I have heard very little contempt for Catherine's gameplay from  people online who's opinion I take seriously+actually played the game.

I have read plenty of low-content shitposts from people who haven't played it, though.

.....Also, as someone who loves DP, the gameplay in DP is literally broken. It doesn't work. I've played the demo, Catherine works just fine.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sooty

The gameplay looks great, don't confuse different with bad.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By fox01313

Don't think that Catherine will be as quirky or culty as Deadly Premonition but it will definitely have a fan following.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If I like Catherine even half as much as Deadly Premonition I will be sastifyed. But no, they don't look similar at all.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Catolf
    @mutha3 said:
    @Mcfart: Actually, no, I have heard very little contempt for Catherine's gameplay from  people online who's opinion I take seriously+actually played the game.  I have read plenty of low-content shitposts from people who haven't played it, though.  .....Also, as someone who loves DP, the gameplay in DP is literally broken. It doesn't work. I've played the demo, Catherine works just fine.
    Don't remind me on that, I'm seriously trying to play that game and it's not going well... even walking takes patience ><
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By bonbolapti

I guess you're just going to have to get outside of your comfort zone if you think you have to.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ChrisTaran

As someone who has completed the Japanese version of the game, I can assure you that, outside of some frustration due to player error at times, the puzzle gameplay in Catherine is excellent.

If you don't like puzzles you will not enjoy the gameplay. If you do like puzzles, you will learn the mechanics and enjoy the game. That's all there is to it.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrOldboy

unlike DP, Catherine actually looks polished.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ghost_cat

Wasn't DP more of a survival horror than an puzzle RPG?  It's a strange choice of gameplay for an RPG, but I'm down for fun puzzles.  At least it won't be as grinding as traditional JRPG combat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.