Cavia is no more

#1 Edited by Jeust (10758 posts) -

The developer of games like Nier Replicant / Gestalt, Bullet Witch, Drakengard between other titles is no more. The company was disbanded and absorbed by AQ Interactive this month. 

For me is a bit of sad tidings, as it was one of favourite companies at the moment.   

Looks like there won't be a Nier 2 then. :( 

Source:  link

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

Bullet Witch...ugh.

They did work on the Resident Evil railshooters and Drakengard was a pretty sweet game.

They will be missed.    :_(

#3 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

But now where will I get games with fucking crazy stories, or main characters who murder and eat children?

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" But now where will I get games with fucking crazy stories, or main characters who murder and eat children? "
Or a Herm side kick?! 
#5 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @Make_Me_Mad said:

" But now where will I get games with fucking crazy stories, or main characters who murder and eat children? "
Or a Herm side kick?!  "
Exactly!  This is a tremendous loss in terms of party building dynamics.  No other developer had the balls to give you a priest, a psychotic child murderer/cannibal, a reclusive pedophile, and a little boy who would never age past about 8 as your traveling companions simultaneously.
#6 Posted by loopy_101 (287 posts) -

I liked Drakengard, it is a shame to see them go.

#7 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -
#8 Posted by AuthenticM (3762 posts) -

Meh

#9 Edited by Jeust (10758 posts) -
#10 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Always sad to hear of a company going under. 

Six years after the fact, I'm still not sure what the hell was going on in Drakengard, but if nothing else, it was certainly memorable.

#11 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Funniest thing I've read in a while is this bit in this recent Gamasutra interview with CEO of Square Enix:

Gamasutra: It's interesting to see that Nier has become a cult hit in America; it's not exactly a huge game, but it's got some buzz. The New York Times wrote a review calling attention to how great the story is. Did you expect that kind of reaction, and are you satisfied with the title?

YW: Yes, I thought it would be a cult hit, but I'm saying this as a gamer -- not as the president of the company. As a CEO, my instruction was to make it a major hit. But this Nier team, they just do cult hits. (laughs)

I literally chuckled for five minutes. He is right. Cavia never made one decent game.
#12 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

" Funniest thing I've read in a while is this bit in this recent Gamasutra interview with CEO of Square Enix:

Gamasutra: It's interesting to see that Nier has become a cult hit in America; it's not exactly a huge game, but it's got some buzz. The New York Times wrote a review calling attention to how great the story is. Did you expect that kind of reaction, and are you satisfied with the title?

YW: Yes, I thought it would be a cult hit, but I'm saying this as a gamer -- not as the president of the company. As a CEO, my instruction was to make it a major hit. But this Nier team, they just do cult hits. (laughs)

I literally chuckled for five minutes. He is right. Cavia never made one decent game. "
In this case the "cult hit" is the audience of people who like a good story, compared to the average gamer who just wants to shoot people in the face.

Yes the gameplay was shitty, but Niers story is one of the best in recent years, if you disagree you never finished it. Anyone who saw every ending will agree the story was amazing, that is why it's a cult hit.

Sad to hear about Cavia.
#13 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -
#14 Edited by Jeust (10758 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" @Jeust said:

" @jakob187 said:

" All of the games you listed are nothing compared to their biggest atrocity. "

Well somebody liked it. lol

http://www.giantbomb.com/beat-down-fists-of-vengeance/61-11898/user-reviews/?review_id=14771 "
Did you see who reviewed it?  Above which, dood...that game is NOTHING like Yakuza.  I remember reviewing that game, then using it to see what color PS2 games make a fire turn. "
ahahaha I saw. I never did that with a game, but i'm thinking of doing it with Bullet Witch. It is really a bad game, and i don't know if i can see past its flaws.  

@Vorbis said:

" @buzz_killington said:

" Funniest thing I've read in a while is this bit in this recent Gamasutra interview with CEO of Square Enix:

I literally chuckled for five minutes. He is right. Cavia never made one decent game. "
In this case the "cult hit" is the audience of people who like a good story, compared to the average gamer who just wants to shoot people in the face.

Yes the gameplay was shitty, but Niers story is one of the best in recent years, if you disagree you never finished it. Anyone who saw every ending will agree the story was amazing, that is why it's a cult hit.  Sad to hear about Cavia. "
I agree. I'm going to make a review about the game, although only when i reach the fourth ending. Now I'm starting the fourth run with the character at level 45, and about 70% of the quests done, and for me it is the best story of the year. 
#15 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I was quite charmed by Nier. 
Can't help it.
#16 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
@Vorbis: I played about 2 hours of Nier, and to be honest with you, the game's only redeeming quality was the musical score. The story was nothing to write home about.
#17 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

" @Vorbis: I played about 2 hours of Nier, and to be honest with you, the game's only redeeming quality was the musical score. The story was nothing to write home about. "

Shit doesn't get real until the second playthrough, where your whole perspective on the first playthrough is flipped upside down. There's some very big mind blowing moments in the story that other games have rarely visited before. Don't judge a game before you've finished it. But yes, it did have a great soundtrack.
#18 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

This is extraordinarily sad news indeed...

I've stumbled across several of their games during these years, and I've loved the weirdness and free expression in them. It wasn't until recently that I actually realised that they all came from the same, probably dark, place.

...And now I have to find out that they have been destroyed? Much sadness, one can only hope for a splinter or somesuch...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.