Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Things that will probably make me stop playing CO

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n

Ive probably spent around 25-30 hours in Champions Online now and I´m already starting to feel the burn that shouldnt come for at least another 100 in an MMO. 
    I´m probably the complete opposite of most people now but I´ve come to realize that I actually like my MMO´s to be set in a Fantasy-like world. People might argue its done to death but forests, green fields and fantasty creatures are actually vital to my MMO enjoyment and this is clear to me now. Furthermore I´ve only seen 3 zones in my total playtime so far.  
    If you´re going to keep people leveling you have to keep the environments varied. A super plain desert envirorment, a winterzone that dosent really feel that wintery and a major city is all I´ve seen so far and jumping back and fourth between these zones to keep doing the same very imbalanced quests takes its toll. 
    The quests are still, often easier for some builds of classes and zones have enemy groups so extremely close together that you keep dying if you´re not doing stuff exacly right. Its not always clear wich route is the best to take to the quest if you dont have flight and I´ve run into several quests that are bugged or that seemingly lacks the objective you´re supposed to complete. 
    Rubberband lag keeps making me dizzy all the time and the framerate keeps chugging along at very low speeds stacking it up against me with the glitching friendslist and completely plain AND unbalanced PvP.  
    The crafting system is confusing and poorly explained and most items you get from loot just seems like the last one or dont offer any kind of usable stat in the long run.

I´m really not hating the game tho. I´ve played enough MMO´s to know that the launch is always glitchy. But there has to be something there that latches on and wants you to come back. 
    I know its hip to hate on WoW these days but man, they really nailed it with creating a good enough world with a good enough engine to keep you coming back in its early stages. 
    CO´s enviroments are so extremely subpar when compared to that game that I really shouldnt make that comparison at all. 
    The fact that I´m not really THAT into superheroes and comic books might also have something to do with why I play shorter and shorter sessions of the game but I really thought there would be more to the game. 
    Where is the carrot in this game? because I can´t find it. Leveling and looting dosent do it for me in this one and questing feels like more of a choir than ever. 
    I´ll probably keep going at it for a while longer to see where my character development takes me but I dont feel the motivation all the way. 
    Some part of it must also be the fact that if you have real life friends playing an MMO it gets much better. As it stands now I´m not doing any socializing at all when playing and comparing that to leveling with a group of friends is like day and night. A Social grind is 10 times better than a mechanic "stare at my screen" grind.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

Ive probably spent around 25-30 hours in Champions Online now and I´m already starting to feel the burn that shouldnt come for at least another 100 in an MMO. 
    I´m probably the complete opposite of most people now but I´ve come to realize that I actually like my MMO´s to be set in a Fantasy-like world. People might argue its done to death but forests, green fields and fantasty creatures are actually vital to my MMO enjoyment and this is clear to me now. Furthermore I´ve only seen 3 zones in my total playtime so far.  
    If you´re going to keep people leveling you have to keep the environments varied. A super plain desert envirorment, a winterzone that dosent really feel that wintery and a major city is all I´ve seen so far and jumping back and fourth between these zones to keep doing the same very imbalanced quests takes its toll. 
    The quests are still, often easier for some builds of classes and zones have enemy groups so extremely close together that you keep dying if you´re not doing stuff exacly right. Its not always clear wich route is the best to take to the quest if you dont have flight and I´ve run into several quests that are bugged or that seemingly lacks the objective you´re supposed to complete. 
    Rubberband lag keeps making me dizzy all the time and the framerate keeps chugging along at very low speeds stacking it up against me with the glitching friendslist and completely plain AND unbalanced PvP.  
    The crafting system is confusing and poorly explained and most items you get from loot just seems like the last one or dont offer any kind of usable stat in the long run.

I´m really not hating the game tho. I´ve played enough MMO´s to know that the launch is always glitchy. But there has to be something there that latches on and wants you to come back. 
    I know its hip to hate on WoW these days but man, they really nailed it with creating a good enough world with a good enough engine to keep you coming back in its early stages. 
    CO´s enviroments are so extremely subpar when compared to that game that I really shouldnt make that comparison at all. 
    The fact that I´m not really THAT into superheroes and comic books might also have something to do with why I play shorter and shorter sessions of the game but I really thought there would be more to the game. 
    Where is the carrot in this game? because I can´t find it. Leveling and looting dosent do it for me in this one and questing feels like more of a choir than ever. 
    I´ll probably keep going at it for a while longer to see where my character development takes me but I dont feel the motivation all the way. 
    Some part of it must also be the fact that if you have real life friends playing an MMO it gets much better. As it stands now I´m not doing any socializing at all when playing and comparing that to leveling with a group of friends is like day and night. A Social grind is 10 times better than a mechanic "stare at my screen" grind.
    Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Smersh

Interesting, I was hoping the best for this one as I'm over WoW (or so I tell myself) and have an insatiable lust for loot. 
    Looks like I'll save my money for Boarderlands.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Sucks bro.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

I've just had my subscription refunded to me. The game could be quite brilliant but it isn't quite there yet to be worth the monthly subscription. Not in my eyes.

Lucidforest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Lucidforest

As cool as it is to hate WoW, I agree that it is almost the perfect MMO. Perfectly balanced. Hardly a bug to be seen. It'll be hard to top it. 

I'm enjoying CO at the moment but I do see where you are coming from. There are numerous bugs in the game that really shouldn't exist, especially since they didn't 2 weeks ago! One example is the control scheme resets EVERY time you change instance. And since the game is instance based, we change every 10 minutes or so and we have to go back into the settings to change them back to the way we want. The friends list doesn't work either. The game is also very unbalanced at the moment. And since PvP is one of the main reason I play MMOs, it's a bit of a bitch. There have been numerous occasions where one class is simply unstoppable against another, no matter what. 

Blizzard spoiled us on almost every level, they were always on the ball and it's hard to let people away with some of the mistakes I'm seeing now. The fun moments are still out weighing the annoying moments so I'll still play until that changes. I just hope they patch soon to fix some of the major bugs.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By SumDeus

Call me crazy but I hated WoW, i thought it was boring and slow. I hated the art design. I hated the environments. I hated it all. So this blog post actually makes me want CO more if its pretty much the opposite of WoW.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @SumDeus said:
    " Call me crazy but I hated WoW, i thought it was boring and slow. I hated the art design. I hated the environments. I hated it all. So this blog post actually makes me want CO more if its pretty much the opposite of WoW. "
    You obviously came into the game thinking "WoW is dumb and is for nerds" You also probably only played the 10 day free trial, or watched someone else play it.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz
    @Lucidforest: No MMO has a balanced PvP system. Except maybe Guild Wars since they have every skill split into a PvP & PvE version of itself. So adjustments to the PvP version to balance it doesn't end up nerfing it or making it useless in PvE situations. Works extremely well and has probably helped the longevity of that game somewhat.

The big issue with Champions Online is it has launched in much the same way Age of Conan did. Brilliant Open Beta session and slightly less than pleasing final release of the game. As you said there are bugs in the final release that weren't there 2 weeks ago, that shouldn't be there to begin with. Same with XP and resource rewards being lowered to slow down the game population from levelling too fast or fully testing out different power sets and combinations etc.

When a game population is being purposefully slowed down from levelling this is a sign that there is a lack of interesting mid to late game content for high level players which I have heard is the case with Champions Online at the moment. There just isn't many areas to adventure or explore in the game, simply a lot of 'back-and-forth' between various places. A lot of repetition and not a lot of variation to be had.

However I imagine once Cryptic actually sort the game out, 6 months from now we'll likely see some free or low priced expansion to include extra content. Hopefully by that time the game will be fixed up and balanced more and they'll restart the 6 month or lifetime subscriptions again. Because I would genuinely continue playing the game since at the core of it, the game is very fun and casual, but in its current state it isn't worth the money IMHO.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Well, here's looking forward to The Old Republic then. Glad I waited on this one, the impressions I've seen so far haven't exactly been glowing.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Hamz: There's already a werewolf and zombie expansion in the works so you get more skill sets...
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By PureRok

The one thing I hate about MMOs is the lack of a driving story arc. I'm a person who hates sidequests, and MMOs are basically a game that is nothing but a bunch of sidequests. I think that Lord of the Rings Online did it right with the main story quests they have that follow the books. I actually felt like I was following a story and was accomplishing something, instead of just running around doing random quests that I don't care about.

Lucidforest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Lucidforest
    In CO I use a pure telekinesis dude - mainly close combat but has one or two ranged powers to help out. Todays examples of the imbalance - I went into a cage match, I decided to take the side door myself, everyone else took the main door. At the other side was an enemy archer, who used some holding power that I could do nothing at all to prevent. He was able to continuously cast this stunning arrow, renewing the hold on me and decreasing my health every time till I was dead. Now I'm hoping this is just a bug and that spell was meant to add a 'hold resistance' buff onto the target so they couldn't do it continuously, but if not, that's just horrible.  

Then a few matches later, there was two ice dudes. Both were able to freeze everyone in rather large area, and since the cage area is rather small, they were able to freeze everyone on my team in place, or at least slow them down, basically at all times. And that just wasn't fun. Or fair. 

@Hamz: Maybe I shouldn't have said "perfectly". But WoW is pretty balanced. Meaning you can choose any class and still PvP with great success if you know what you're doing.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jimbo_n

Yea holds are a joke in PvP. Massive ice cages and mad holds going off all over the place and man, those durations are no joke, even if you keep spamming Z.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By SumDeus
    @TheMustacheHero: naw man, i am a nerd, i started playing thinking i was gonna love it, just turned out to be a huge disappointment for me.
    Avatar image for sir_hugo_sherwodywody
    Sir_Hugo_Sherwodywody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember back when WOW was released? It had tons of glitches too. Its unfair of us to compare a newly released game to one thats been constantly updated for years.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jimbo_n

I was comparing WoW in release state vs CO in release state. And sure it had glitches, but glitches wasnt really what I was talking about. The world itself and the designprocess behind the game felt better from the getgo, glitches aside. It made you come back despite the bugs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.