Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chantelise

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released December 2006

A 3D action RPG for PC by doujin circle EasyGameStation. It was localized for Western audiences courtesy of DHM Interactive & Carpe Fulgur.

Chantelise or Radiant Historia?

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NekuCTR

What does the Giant Bomb community think? Chantelise just came out on steam (spiritual successor to Recettear) and I've been looking to get an RPG. I really liked Recettear and I tend to lean more toward action RPGs, but I've been hearing endless good things about RH. What do you think?

Also, posting on Chantelise forum because, hell, this forum is dead.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By scarace360

Anime!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Chantelise looks creepy and RH was a good game.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WickedCestus

LordXavierBritish wrote a thing at some point about how much he loves Radiant Historia, and I'm thinking of buying it too. So I guess I pick that.

Sanaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Sanaj

I wouldn't recommend Chantelise because it feels like a prototype game.

It's a 3D action RPG. Yet, the enemies are flat and that makes judging the distance for your attacks tricky.

Also, it's way too easy until you get to the first boss, the golem.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've not played Chantelise, but from what I've seen of it, I'd go with Radiant Historia all the way. Finished the latter and it was a great game.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Haru48 said:

What does the Giant Bomb community think? Chantelise just came out on steam (spiritual successor to Recettear) and I've been looking to get an RPG. I really liked Recettear and I tend to lean more toward action RPGs, but I've been hearing endless good things about RH. What do you think?

Also, posting on Chantelise forum because, hell, this forum is dead.

how is chantelise a spiritual SUCCESSOR to Racettear if it came out BEFORE Racettear >_>
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@Rhaknar: What?! No it didn't...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Rufi91 said:

Yes it did.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Rufi91 said:

Yes it did.

I'm confused! The wiki says it came out 2 days ago!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Rufi91 said: 

I'm confused! The wiki says it came out 2 days ago!

Chantelise came out in Japan in 2006. Recettear came out there in 2007.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@FluxWaveZ: Ahh then I guess you could still say the reason it got an English release was because Recettear did so well?

Comment redacted.

mrangryface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mrangryface

Radiant Historia is brilliant- one of the best reasons to own a DS right now. Chantelise is a fun way to spend some time, but thats about it imo.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Haru48 said:

Chantelise just came out on steam (spiritual successor to Recettear)

As I understand it, Chantelise isn't really the spiritual successor to Recettear, but visa versa. Recettear is the spiritual successor to Chantelise. EGS developed Recettear after Chantelise, but Cape Fulger translated them in the opposite order. As such, Chantelise is a little more rough around the edges than Recettear, and I'm a little doubtful about it. I'm sure I'll check it out sooner or later, but I'll probably wait until it's on sale.

I don't know anything about Radiant Historia though, so I can't comment on that.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Chantelise seems like a pretty bland ARPG to me, exceedingly repetitive. You can always dload the demo and see if you feel any different, don't buy it blind.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Radiant Historia is great

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I played a little bit of the Chantelise demo. It's interesting, and the magic stuff seems kinda cool. I can imagine this getting super boring for some people later on though.

If you're into hack and slash type games, like I am, there is a little value to be found in this. Maybe wait for a sale and it it for a dollar.

Haven't played Radiant Historia, but that game looks pretty rad too.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vinsanityv22

I've played 'em both, and while I dig Chantelise's fun, simple action and adorable style, Radiant Historia DESTROYS IT. It's one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and I've been playing them  since the SNES days. I also play my fair share of WRPGs, and even in this day and age where people are slamming the FFXIII's of the world left and right, Radiant Historia is a fantastic RPG. 

The localization is top-notch; these aren't stupid anime stereotypes lazily thrown together to form a typical "JRPG Five Man Band" (like the aforementioned FFXIII). These characters have real personalities, and they speak in natural-sounding dialogue. The storytelling is fantastic for that reason, but also for the mechanic of the White Chronicle; a book that allows you to replay major decisions in the game and branch the storyline into very different paths. And then hop constantly between these parallel dimensions you've created:) Which is cool beyond belief. People love to give credit to Bioware or Bethesda games for branching conversation trees, which IS cool, but branching the ENTIRE ARC OF THE STORY is something I haven't seen before and yields far more rewarding results than, say, turning down the chance to help someone find their lost so-and-so and getting some  "Dark Side" points on your personality.

Also the combat is very cool. It's super tactical without being obtuse; you're basically just slamming enemies across a 3x3 grid to get the most enemies onto one spot as possible to hit that spot with a powerful attack. It's actually really cool. 

Finally, needless to say, the presentation is fantastic too. It looks like a top-tier PSX RPG. Great spritework against detailed, charmingly blocky, settings. There's great music here - by Yoko Shimomura, of Kingdom Hearts fame (and numerous other titles) -, and I personally think this is one of the best scores she's ever composed.

Chantelise is fun, but Radiant Historia is amazing and WAY too few people have played this thing. I cannot suggest Historia enough. It's well worth the $40 asking price (or lower; whatever it is now). But then again, I DID get Chantelise for a mere $8 on Gamersgate. I suppose if you're strapped for cash, you could get Chantelise now. But Historia is a must-play as far as I'm concerned. Play it eventually.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuCTR

@vinsanityv22: Thanks dude, very well written, and thanks for everyone elses suggestions, and corrections. I'll probably be picking up RH in a few days, which is saying a lot since the last physical game box I bought was LA Noire back in May, too bad it also means i'm going to gamestop.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Synaptic

Chantelise is definitely enjoyable, but it's less about the characters than Recettear. More about dungeon crawling and stuff. Combat's good though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.