Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Character Specific Pre-Match Taunts

Concept »

A feature in fighting games that sees the combatants say something unique to each other prior to the beginning of the fight. It has been popularlized by NetherRealm Studios' Mortal Kombat and Injustice games starting with MKX.

Isn't Character Specific Intros a better title for this?

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

They aren't always taunts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

The gestures a character does when you press the Taunt command are not always taunts, yet it remains a Taunt.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

In that case they would still be taunts, by virtue of being what happens when you press the taunt button. Also doing anything other than something related to combat would be considered taunting as well.

A fight starts with an introduction; you don't taunt to start the fight.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It could be Character Specific Pre-Match Interactions as well.

I agree that it shouldn't be taunts, because a lot of them aren't taunts.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I agree with you. The title for this concept is kind of a mouthful and the term "intro" is more accurate to what it's describing. "Banter" would also maybe work. "Character specific" on the other hand maybe seems too general. Perhaps "Opponent Specific Intros" would be more apt?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Yeah, I also think the name could stand to do with a little rejiggering. 'Character Specific Intro Interactions' maybe?

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Whatever you do, make sure it says "Character-specific".

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This seems right to me.

It could be Character Specific Pre-Match Interactions as well.

I agree that it shouldn't be taunts, because a lot of them aren't taunts.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ohhhh, I thought you were just talking about character introductions, not actual unique exchanges between the characters, so that's probably not a good sign. I only figured that out by looking at the actual page and seeing that the examples were unique dialogue between characters. Suppose I could've just read the subtext under the concept title but ANYWAYS.

Yeah, taunt is the wrong word for it. They're certainly not always taunts, like when Andy encounters Leona in King of Fighters XIII and they just complement each other (which a lot of pairings seem to do in that game). And like you said, it's not like you're hitting the taunt button to make em happen; they're just intros.

I think "Character-Specific Pre-Match Interactions" covers it nicely, whether we're talkin dialogue or something else, like Ryu and Ken sparring in Alpha 3 before the match starts, and it gets away from them all being taunts. A mouthful, yes, but this is a pretty specific concept. "Intro Interactions" sounds a bit awkward.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@theht said:

Ohhhh, I thought you were just talking about character introductions, not actual unique exchanges between the characters, so that's probably not a good sign. I only figured that out by looking at the actual page and seeing that the examples were unique dialogue between characters. Suppose I could've just read the subtext under the concept title but ANYWAYS.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe "Character Specific" isn't a good name for it either. Maybe something like "Match-Up Specific Pre-Fight Intro" can encapsulate the idea better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.