Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Cross

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 18, 1999

The sequel to the classic Super Nintendo RPG, Chrono Cross expanded the franchise to alternate universes, adopted a turn-based combat system, and had dozens of playable characters.

Chrono Cross is being released on PSN on November 8th

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

Oh yay, the good Chrono game!

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nohthink

I thought FF7 was already on PSN

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

@nohthink: 7 is already available. He meant 6.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

This might finally be my chance to finish it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BisonHero

@DonChipotle said:

I know there are people that think Chrono Cross is as good as Chrono Trigger, but wow, didn't know there were people who thought Chrono Cross was actually better than Chrono Trigger and that Trigger is bad.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By donchipotle

@BisonHero said:

@DonChipotle said:

I know there are people that think Chrono Cross is as good as Chrono Trigger, but wow, didn't know there were people who thought Chrono Cross was actually better than Chrono Trigger and that Trigger is bad.

I don't think Chrono Cross is a great game or anything. I just think it is better than Trigger. And if Trigger is bad that means Cross would have to be considered the good one even if I don't think it is a particularly well done RPG.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Rayeth

Chrono Cross has one of (maybe THE) best soundtracks in gaming. The opening alone brings goosebumps everytime I see it.

The story is crazy confusing and I didn't play Trigger enough to know if one was better than the other, but given that I still own a physical copy of Chrono Cross and it would be very nice to not have to bust that thing out, I will probably buy this. Here's hoping the emulation thing or whatever they are doing doesn't suck.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Axersia

Sweet, been waiting for this ever since it got released on the Japanese PSN. Never played Cross before and will be picking it up day 1. If the story's anything like Radical Dreamers, I'll probably enjoy it more than Trigger.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AuthenticM

@Rayeth said:

Chrono Cross has one of (maybe THE) best soundtracks in gaming. The opening alone brings goosebumps everytime I see it.

The story is crazy confusing and I didn't play Trigger enough to know if one was better than the other, but given that I still own a physical copy of Chrono Cross and it would be very nice to not have to bust that thing out, I will probably buy this. Here's hoping the emulation thing or whatever they are doing doesn't suck.

I think Chrono Cross' soundtrack is my personal favorite of all times. Yes, the opening gives me goosebumps too.

@Axersia said:

Sweet, been waiting for this ever since it got released on the Japanese PSN. Never played Cross before and will be picking it up day 1. If the story's anything like Radical Dreamers, I'll probably enjoy it more than Trigger.

The story is inspired by Radical Dreamers, but greatly expands upon it. Check it out. I like it more than Trigger, and I fucking LOVE Trigger. Cross is simply a masterpiece.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Isn't the story of Chrono Cross incomprehensibly insane? I wouldn't know personally, but the general opinion I get of that game is a fairly negative one.

Of course, Final Fantasy V and VI are also being released, which is great. Because those are the two best Final Fantasy games. SCREW THE HATERS THE JOB SYSTEM IS AWESOME.

Avatar image for crabs_on_the_beach
    Crabs_on_the_beach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep definitely getting it, basically the only thing I use my Playstation for these days is to play old ps titles. As for soundtrack its a three way tie with FFVIII, Legend of Dragoon, and Chrono Cross with me.

GideonAmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GideonAmos

Holy crap, is this for real? I've pretty much given up on CC being released on PSN this year and now its less than a week away?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I only got to play this at a friend's house (though, several times) and really liked it back then. I may try to play it, but I have trouble going back to old games like this.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

Hm, FF6 has been out for some time in the European PSN I think. I've considered getting it since I've never played that one, but don't know how the PS1 port holds up to the original. Also, it's Final Fantasy, I need a whole lot of nothing to do if I'm to make time for it.

Also, Chrono Cross, that's a game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AuthenticM

@ArbitraryWater said:

Isn't the story of Chrono Cross incomprehensibly insane? I wouldn't know personally, but the general opinion I get of that game is a fairly negative one.

Of course, Final Fantasy V and VI are also being released, which is great. Because those are the two best Final Fantasy games. SCREW THE HATERS THE JOB SYSTEM IS AWESOME.

It's insane, but not incomprehensibly so. I love it. As for V and VI, yes, they are good games, but the load times of the PS versions are horrendous. I wouldn't buy them if I were you guys, just to send a signal to SE.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By amomjc

The amount of Blasphemy in this thread is overwhelming!! Cross better than trigger?!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AuthenticM

@amomjc said:

The amount of Blasphemy in this thread is overwhelming!! Cross better than trigger?!

Yes it is. :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@AuthenticM said:

@amomjc said:

Yes it is. :)

In what way?

Chrono Cross has a plot that shits all over the first game in the worst possible ways, an overabundance of characters whose only distinguishing traits are their accents and verbal tics, and a battle system that simply wasn't nearly as fun as Chrono Trigger's. They could have easily made the exact same game without the ties to Chrono Trigger, and it would have been vastly improved as a result.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @RockmanBionics said:

Hm, FF6 has been out for some time in the European PSN I think. I've considered getting it since I've never played that one, but don't know how the PS1 port holds up to the original. Also, it's Final Fantasy, I need a whole lot of nothing to do if I'm to make time for it.

Also, Chrono Cross, that's a game.

The PSN version of VI is absolutely fine. I've been playing it for a while now and really enjoying it.
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fenixrevolution

I will have to buy this, I never gog a chance to play it before and I love Chrono Trigger.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Hailinel

@ArbitraryWater said:

Chrono Cross attempts to tie into Chrono Trigger with ludicrous leaps of logic that make zero sense, and oh, yeah...

Crono, Marle, and Lucca all die horribly off-screen when Guardia is invaded and destroyed before Chrono Cross even starts. The game just sort of shrugs this off while trying to convince you that an Australian-accented tomboy is some sort of rebirth/clone/double-thing of Schala.

What. The. Fuck.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Nasar7

Out now! Yes, Sony/Square, please continue reselling me my childhood. So good.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Hailinel said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Chrono Cross attempts to tie into Chrono Trigger with ludicrous leaps of logic that make zero sense, and oh, yeah...

Crono, Marle, and Lucca all die horribly off-screen when Guardia is invaded and destroyed before Chrono Cross even starts. The game just sort of shrugs this off while trying to convince you that an Australian-accented tomboy is some sort of rebirth/clone/double-thing of Schala.

What. The. Fuck.

Yup.

The Lavos hybridisation MacGuffin is also supremely silly.

I hate Chrono Cross so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.