Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Cross

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 18, 1999

The sequel to the classic Super Nintendo RPG, Chrono Cross expanded the franchise to alternate universes, adopted a turn-based combat system, and had dozens of playable characters.

Super Look! - Chrono Cross

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

I take an extra-long look at one of my favorite RPG's of all time, Chrono Cross on the PS1. I'm sure a lot of people never had the chance (or never gave it the chance) to play it, mainly because it's pretty different than Chrono Trigger. Eight parts in total, available at the playlist. First part is embedded below:

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

I take an extra-long look at one of my favorite RPG's of all time, Chrono Cross on the PS1. I'm sure a lot of people never had the chance (or never gave it the chance) to play it, mainly because it's pretty different than Chrono Trigger. Eight parts in total, available at the playlist. First part is embedded below:

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I always wanted to try Chrono Cross.  Maybe I should finally check it out.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordofultima
    @JJOR64: Indeed you should, this look has inspired me to continue my save as well.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By AniMoney

One of my favorite games ever. I want to replay it but it's so long that I'm not sure I have the time.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Godwind

A really nice pick.  Too bad Square Enix are pricks and will never make Chrono Break.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By auspiciousqueue

My favorite RPG. I replay it all the time. So under appreciated!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @Godwind said:
    " A really nice pick.  Too bad Square Enix are pricks and will never make Chrono Break. "
    I may be in the minority here, but I absolutely hated Chrono Cross and am not sad that a third Chrono game has not been made.  I can understand the desire to make a sequel to Chrono Trigger, but the way they did it, particularly in the way the game ties into Chrono Trigger, utilizes some of the most ludicrous, ham-fisted plot points I've seen in any game ever.  (Its story is awful, is what I am saying.)  That, combined with the fact that a large number of people involved in the Chrono games are no longer with Square Enix, does not make me particularly hopeful for another Chrono game in any way, shape, or form.
    Aquinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aquinas

I did not like this one half as much as Trigger.  The much greater number of characters resulted in very few of them getting anything near meaningful character development, so I really did not give much of a piss what happened to any of them at any given point.  I was not a fan of the battle system, either.  Good game, just not as good a sequel to Chrono Trigger as it could have been.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Luke

This is one of the best games on the system!  Truly revolutionary for it's time.  A shit-ton of Characters and different ways to play through multiple times <3 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lordofultima
    @Hailinel: I actually am not a huge fan of Chrono Trigger. The story is absolutely fantastic in Chrono Cross, I think you're probably insane. That said, this game shouldn't really be regarded as a sequel to Chrono Trigger at all.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Godwind
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Godwind said:
    " A really nice pick.  Too bad Square Enix are pricks and will never make Chrono Break. "
    I may be in the minority here, but I absolutely hated Chrono Cross and am not sad that a third Chrono game has not been made.  I can understand the desire to make a sequel to Chrono Trigger, but the way they did it, particularly in the way the game ties into Chrono Trigger, utilizes some of the most ludicrous, ham-fisted plot points I've seen in any game ever.  (Its story is awful, is what I am saying.)  That, combined with the fact that a large number of people involved in the Chrono games are no longer with Square Enix, does not make me particularly hopeful for another Chrono game in any way, shape, or form. "

I can understand why someone would hate the game, I just loved it myself.  Although thank you for reminding me what helped made Cross good, the staff.  So now I have a reason not to care for a sequel.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Hailinel: I actually am not a huge fan of Chrono Trigger. The story is absolutely fantastic in Chrono Cross, I think you're probably insane. That said, this game shouldn't really be regarded as a sequel to Chrono Trigger at all. "
    Chrono Cross's story would have been much better overall had it not been a sequel to Chrono Trigger.  The elements that tie it to the previous game are the tenuous sort of absurdity that bad fanfiction is made of.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThomasP

I played Chrono Cross a couple years back on a borrowed PS2. It's the only PS1 game I own. The amount of playable characters, battle system, soundtrack and colorful graphics are the main attraction IMO. Great game and one of my favorite RPG's.

Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
    EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By EightBitWarrior

Did you know you can embed an entire playlist in a single video on your profile? Just thought I'd let you know if you don't. It's pretty nice. It automatically plays the next video after one finishes. There's a code on the page for each playlist.

I'd comment about the video but I didn't watch it, lulz. I might catch up on some of these once I'm done with my own video project.
    Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Galv

I played Chrono Cross several times back when it came out and absolutely loved it. Still have the game somewhere.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lordofultima
    @EightBitWarrior: Sure do know it, youtube just puts everything together in the least convenient way possible, which thanks to the new "beta" layout makes it harder to actually find the playlist page.
    Aquinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aquinas
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Hailinel: I actually am not a huge fan of Chrono Trigger. The story is absolutely fantastic in Chrono Cross, I think you're probably insane. That said, this game shouldn't really be regarded as a sequel to Chrono Trigger at all. "
    *SPOILERS ahoy for the ten people who have yet to beat this game and may play it one day*

Well it is regarded as a sequel, and with good reason.  Guile was supposed to be Magus.  This is painfully obvious to anyone who gets him in their party and played Trigger beforehand.  Kid is sort of a fragment of his sister, Schala.  Near the end of the game, a letter left by Lucca, (who was almost certainly supposed to be the female scientist who speaks in what looks like German since her resemblance to her is absolutely uncanny.  I can accept that she worked with Lucca, but being her twin sister as well and having no connection?  I call BS on that) directly addresses "Janus" (who she claims is likely watching over her at that moment) as though he were there when the letter was being read by Kid.  This was however gutted from the game, and we have these bizzare dopplegangers and this awkward letter.  That's just sloppy work by the devs.

Not to mention the final boss is, well... freaking Lavos. (with Schala imprisoned within him)

If they didn't want this game thought of as a sequel, they did a really terrible job of making it happen.  They should have embraced it as a sequel and more fully fleshed out all the connections to the first game.  It's just too hard to ignore all those connections to the first game and pretend Cross exists in a vacuum all by itself.
    alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By alsnuts2

I really really wanted to like this game. I played all the way through it and got to the last boss and just couldn't make myself care about it.  My main complaint is the characters.  Too many of them and all of them were pretty lame and under developed.  Chrono Cross was probably a better game than I remember it being but Chrono Trigger set the bar so high for me I was just expecting more of the same.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I could always get this on.........uh.............emu.

Aquinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aquinas
    @alsnuts2 said:
    " I really really wanted to like this game. I played all the way through it and got to the last boss and just couldn't make myself care about it.  My main complaint is the characters.  Too many of them and all of them were pretty lame and under developed.  Chrono Cross was probably a better game than I remember it being but Chrono Trigger set the bar so high for me I was just expecting more of the same. "
    Isn't it funny how so many developers seem to give us something different when we want more of the same, and something that's more of the same when we want something different?
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lordofultima
    @Aquinas: You do know that I've never actually beaten this game right? That said I know exactly what happens, so consider yourself lucky. It's a Chrono game of course it's going to have spiritual ties to Trigger. Doesn't make it a sequel. Bioshock is not a sequel to System Shock.

For someone like me who played like 3 hours of Chrono Trigger, I don't feel like there's major missing links, or that it continues the story of that game (which it doesn't). FFVIII was not a sequel to VII, still had Biggs and Wedge. X-2 WAS a sequel, it continued the same plotline as X.
    nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nvmfst

I was never a big fan of Chrono Chross. I still have the cartridge for Chrono Trigger though. I just feel bad that SquareEnix decided to kill the direct Chrono Trigger sequel and remake of it.

pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By pill92

Starting to play the game today,great video.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Aquinas: You do know that I've never actually beaten this game right? That said I know exactly what happens, so consider yourself lucky. It's a Chrono game of course it's going to have spiritual ties to Trigger. Doesn't make it a sequel. Bioshock is not a sequel to System Shock.For someone like me who played like 3 hours of Chrono Trigger, I don't feel like there's major missing links, or that it continues the story of that game (which it doesn't). FFVIII was not a sequel to VII, still had Biggs and Wedge. X-2 WAS a sequel, it continued the same plotline as X. "
    Schala and Lavos are pretty big links to Chrono Trigger.  If you've only played three hours of Chrono Trigger, I have my doubts on your ability to judge the games' connections to one another.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Keyser_Soze

The Quick Look was pretty... decent.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By gla55jAw

I loved that game, although I made it up to the end, or close to it and got stuck and never finished it. I should go back and play it again.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lordofultima
    @Hailinel: My point is I can experience the story of Chrono Cross and not be like, "wait what's happening?" precisely because it's not a direct sequel. Whatever your terms are for an official "sequel" obviously differ from mine. It's irrelevant to this game being fantastic.

A lot of unfounded hate for Chrono Cross, but when someone says they don't like Chrono Trigger it's somehow blasphemy.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @lordofultima: Chrono Cross has several key plot threads that are carried over from Chrono Trigger.  You can argue semantics all you want, but Chrono Cross is a sequel.  It just happens to be a sequel where they said "Guardia? Lolz!" and did away Crono, Marle and Lucca (three of Chrono Trigger's central characters) off screen before Crono Cross even begins.  The key focus of it being a sequel is not the continuation of Chrono Trigger's main plot thread, which was based around traveling through time to beat the tar out of Lavos.  It takes off from the plot thread revolving around Schala, a key character in Chrono Trigger, though she was never playable at any point and was in the game for a relatively short period of time.
    Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jiggah

It's a sequel to Chrono Trigger, if you haven't beaten it then I can understand why you wouldn't think that it has any direct ties with the previous Chrono game, but trust me it becomes pretty blatantly obvious later on.  Chrono Cross was suppose to be a direct sequel, but stuff happened in development that ended up changing the end product.  It's still a good game and the connections have been made with the the DS release of Chrono Trigger reconned.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jiggah said:
    " It's a sequel to Chrono Trigger, if you haven't beaten it then I can understand why you wouldn't think that it has any direct ties with the previous Chrono game, but trust me it becomes pretty blatantly obvious later on.  Chrono Cross was suppose to be a direct sequel, but stuff happened in development that ended up changing the end product.  It's still a good game and the connections have been made with the the DS release of Chrono Trigger reconned. "
    Unfortunately, that ending was a huge letdown for me.  I was hoping that the new ending would resolve Schala's story arc independently of the events of Chrono Cross, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.