Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Chrono Trigger

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 11, 1995

Take control of the lovable but silent protagonist Crono in this time-spanning collaborative effort from Squaresoft's "Dream Team." Chrono Trigger follows the exploits of Crono as he and his friends attempt to save the world from a planet-devouring alien creature.

DS Version

rondof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rondof

If the DS version sells well, which I think is going to, Do you think they might consider doing a true sequel to the game or even a spin off  with a with a character like Frog?

archnemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By archnemesis

Chrono Trigger is still a very popular franchise and it would be stupid of Squeenix to not exploit it. That being said, I don't think we'll ever see a proper HD sequel. Maybe they'll make a sequel on one of the handheld platforms.

ATotalMelvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ATotalMelvin

I loved Chrono Cross. I was certainly satisfied with it as a sequel to Trigger.

Of course, I would not mind a spin off for Chrono Trigger either. They could be testing to see how many sales Trigger gets on DS to see where they would go with the series. But it's likely they just want  us to shut-up about a re-release/remake too.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RVonE

I hope they wont do a sequel becuase this game has been like a shining diamond among games for so long. A sequel could only take away some of that brilliance, if you ask me.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By FengShuiGod

I wouldn't mind a sequel, but I don't want a million rehashes either. That said, I'll take whatever Square Enix will hand out. Any Chrono Trigger game is better than no Chrono Trigger game.

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ghil

I can't wait for the DS version! Anyone remember the wait when Square registered the name Chrono Break? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63aed1f3cc082
    deactivated-63aed1f3cc082

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in the DS version for sure.  I've already got my SNES cartridge and the PS version.  Might as well get it again.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By epic_pets

Yea, of course

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarkLegend

I never played the original so this should be good.

geneticgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By geneticgamer

No they need to make Pokemon party for the nintendo DS

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PaperPlain

I hope they make a sequel. Its like they are trying to build suspense forever.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Im just surprised that people think its the same exact game. The game is supposed to be remade and everything its probably going to havge new graphics altough not 3d. Which id rather have the old graphics. Its going to have  more ds style features. Yet so many people I talk to say oh its just the same thing? im not going to buy it. The fact that i heard lots of people i know say this makes me worried for its sales.

Liv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Liv

Since I never played the original, and always wanted to, I nearly died when I first found out that Chrono Trigger was being ported to Nintendo DS. Yeah motherfunker! I couldn't be happier. This announcement made me more excited for a new video game than I've been for several years.

MasturbatingBear
    said:

"Im just surprised that people think its the same exact game. The game is supposed to be remade and everything its probably going to havge new graphics altough not 3d. Which id rather have the old graphics. Its going to have  more ds style features. Yet so many people I talk to say oh its just the same thing? im not going to buy it. The fact that i heard lots of people i know say this makes me worried for its sales."
    All I have heard and read has been indicating that Chrono Trigger will be a direct port from the original game, with added Stylus functions (which won't affect gameplay or anything).
    Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghil

I hope it won't affect the gameplay too much, because I'd hate to see what could be a great port with added feature become a gimmickfest.

Joker_Smilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joker_Smilez

What I've heard about the stylus functionality is that you can use to move around, etc. but if you just use the d-pad, the controls are nearly identical to the SNES version.

In fact, Joystiq posted a controls chart a couple weeks back:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/e308-chrono-triggers-controls-explained/

I've seen a few screen shots, and the graphics are the same as the SNES version, although they have confirmed the inclusion of the cut scenes from the PSX version, as well as newly translated dialog (not to mention a whole new dungeon).

Since IMO, Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever made, I'm pumped to have an excuse to play it all over again. Also, with a release date of this holiday season, I know which classic RPG I'll be exposing my younger brother to.

uncle_andross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By uncle_andross

Well there was Chrono Cross which was really good, but they could definitely pull off a sequel that followed after CT instead of C.C. without making it a spin off.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By zitosilva
    RVonE said:
    "I hope they wont do a sequel becuase this game has been like a shining diamond among games for so long. A sequel could only take away some of that brilliance, if you ask me."
    this.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Im not interested in this game in a purchase I paid the what 60-70 dollars when it first came out along with the players guide, I paid for the playstation game, and i paid for the crap travesty called chrono cross i dont feel like paying for the DS version which is confirmed to be pretty much a straight port with next to no improvements in either graphics nor sound, nor translation or any thing else, just some pittling lil addtions that equal Pay another 40 dollars for a game we have released a few times all ready.

The least they could do is make the translation even tighter then it was before.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

I personally didn't care for the sequel Chrono Cross.  The game wasn't what I felt a CT sequel should have been, as it proceeded to take a dump all over the characters of the first game by writing Guardia out of the story for convenience while at the same time introducing ludicrous plot points to tie the events of Chrono Cross to those of Chrono Trigger.  Chrono Cross would have honestly made a better game if it wasn't a Chrono Trigger sequel.  That in mind, I'd prefer that Square Enix not make any further sequels to Chrono Trigger.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

I sure hope so.

Light_Geiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Light_Geiger

Getting it to support the franchise, but the $40 price tag (with the $20 square enix tax too boot) hurts. Does anyone else think that square needs to stop gouging the fans?! this should be $20!!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Endogene
    Light_Geiger said:
    "Getting it to support the franchise, but the $40 price tag (with the $20 square enix tax too boot) hurts. Does anyone else think that square needs to stop gouging the fans?! this should be $20!!"
    40 dollars is the standard price for DS games in the states right?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#23  Edited By LordAndrew
    Endogene said:
    "Light_Geiger said:
    "Getting it to support the franchise, but the $40 price tag (with the $20 square enix tax too boot) hurts. Does anyone else think that square needs to stop gouging the fans?! this should be $20!!"
    40 dollars is the standard price for DS games in the states right?"
    $35 usually, but some companies (like Square Enix) try to charge $40.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Endogene

5 dollars extra is not that much really , especially for such a quality game. O whell if people find 40 dollars to expensive they might as well import the european version.
    I am fine with that price, if you look at it price/quality it still is one hell of a good deal.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BoG
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "The least they could do is make the translation even tighter then it was before."
    I'm pretty sure they are, and they're putting back in some of the stuff that was edited out of the SNES version. We'll see more religious references, etc.

Anyways, I'll buy the re-make, because I need to finish this game for once. I am half way through the game on PS1, half way through on an emulator. I love portables, because I can play them anywhere. I can walk around, eat, go outside, and most of the time, I can finish whatever I'm playing.

As for a sequel, I don't see why not. We've been waiting forever. As long as they don't overdo it, everyone will be happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.