Endurance Run Starts Monday

  • 152 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#101 Posted by President_Barackbar (3439 posts) -

I'll give it a chance, but I don't exactly have high hopes for it. This whole thing kinda screams "fine we'll do it because you keep asking" rather than "we really want to do this".

#102 Posted by Hailinel (23971 posts) -

@WorldDude said:

@Napalm said:

@Milkman said:

Hey guys, I'm just here to complain about something I haven't watched yet.

#103 Posted by adoggz (2046 posts) -

I'm grateful for this ER because hopefully this means no patrick and ryan quicklooks for along while.

@Prodstep said:

This sounds on paper like the second worst thing ever, (that farmville thing being the worst), but I'll give it a shot.

at least the farmville thing had blatant cheating and no ryan patrick paring.

#104 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I would rather it be Patrick and Jeff but I'll still check out at least the first episode to see how it is.

#105 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

When did the giantbomb forums grow so many dicks.

#106 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Cool for dudes who are looking forward to it.

I'm personally not really excited about it due to the game being Chrono Trigger.

#107 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Looking forward to it!

But man do I miss watching the Persona 4 ER on the Giant Bomb iPhone app. Those were the days.

#108 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@cap123 said:

When did the giantbomb forums grow so many dicks.

There has always been a lot of dicks on Giantbomb.

#109 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures: Not according to my nostalgia there wasn't!

#110 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

I'll give it a chance, but I don't exactly have high hopes for it. This whole thing kinda screams "fine we'll do it because you keep asking" rather than "we really want to do this".

I don't get this. They said they were waiting for the right game to come along. Ryan said that during the SNES marathon people talking about Chrono Trigger interested him. Ryan said he wants to do it.

#111 Posted by Marokai (2819 posts) -
@MasturbatingestBear said:

@President_Barackbar said:

I'll give it a chance, but I don't exactly have high hopes for it. This whole thing kinda screams "fine we'll do it because you keep asking" rather than "we really want to do this".

I don't get this. They said they were waiting for the right game to come along. Ryan said that during the SNES marathon people talking about Chrono Trigger interested him. Ryan said he wants to do it.

The whole ordeal had pretty iffy timing. Before the announcement of the Endurance Run on their panel, there had been a lot of increasingly vocal complaints about video content. (I know people love to think people are always bitching more and more, but there was basically a weekly thread that engendered long, dissertation-length posts about how people were disappointed.) This ended up resulting in Whiskey Media providing a sort of "satisfaction survey", asking people what they wanted more of from the WM sites, and a new Endurance Run was an option under the Giant Bomb section. A new Endurance Run got a huge majority of the votes, according to Dave.
 
A very short time later, a new Endurance Run gets promised, from Ryan. I have a hard time believing that the promise of a new Endurance Run, after being so stubbornly opposed to doing one for months and months (basically since the announcement of Catherine) wasn't influenced by all that rabble rousing over the topic. It definitely does feel like Ryan stepped back and actively thought of a game to do an ER of, for the sake of the site.
 
I look forward to it (in my own way) and will watch it, of course (assuming I, as a free member, can) but since the announcement of a new ER there's been a pretty tepid response from most people. "Meh", as some people in this thread are already using, pretty much sums up most of the sentiment. The whole thing just feels like a bullet-point right now, a way for them to say "Okay, and we did an Endurance Run in late 2011, mark that up." I can kind of understand why people are just sort of shrugging shoulders at the idea of a Ryan-Patrick ER of a SNES game.
Online
#112 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@WorldDude said:

@Napalm said:

@Milkman said:

Hey guys, I'm just here to complain about something I haven't watched yet.

Your right guys Jack and Jill totally looks like a great movie.

#113 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3170 posts) -
@Cube said:

I'd like to thank @FluxWaveZ: for basically saying what I meant. Ryan and Patrick aren't horrible people, and, I'm sure they'll be ideal for some. But I will definitely not watch it. It has absolutely nothing to do with visiting the website which they are a "major part of", as much as @Dark_Lord_Spam: would have you believe...maybe he shouldn't take things so personally. But, this is the internet...

Hey! You're not allowed to compete with my opinion and also use the internet being full of awful people to justify said opinion!
 
In all seriousness, if you didn't mean any insult then we have no quarrel. Maybe just phrase your comment a little differently next time.
#114 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

@TentPole said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

meh
#115 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Wow, you guys. What's wrong with Ryan and Patrick? I think they're pretty awesome. At any rate, I'm excited for the new Endurance Run. (:

#116 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

@CaptainCody said:

@Afroman269 said:

@TentPole said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

meh

This. But, for the record, got nothing against Patrick, and only occasionally have problems with Ryan. It's just... meh.

#117 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

@cap123 said:

When did the giantbomb forums grow so many dicks.

pretty much from the begining.

#118 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

i watch it and i hope it will be funny but i feel that this may be more of ryan and patrick wanting to play through a game they missed rather than them playing a crazy game for entertainment

#119 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@tallTuck94 said:

i feel that this may be more of ryan and patrick wanting to play through a game they missed rather than them playing a crazy game for entertainment

Well, that's what the reasoning behind the original Endurance Run was as well: Vinny wanted to play through Persona 4 but he didn't have the time so he made a video feature out of it. It might have just been luck that it turned out as great as it did.

#120 Posted by Bobstar (310 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@tallTuck94 said:

i feel that this may be more of ryan and patrick wanting to play through a game they missed rather than them playing a crazy game for entertainment

Well, that's what the reasoning behind the original Endurance Run was as well: Vinny wanted to play through Persona 4 but he didn't have the time so he made a video feature out of it. It might have just been luck that it turned out as great as it did.

Then again, the DP ER was pretty much them playing a crazy game for entertainment. I don't think any of them were particularly stoked about playing the game before they started airing the DP ER.

#121 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

You guys care too much and are thinking too much about this. Wait and see if you like it or not.

#122 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Won't they have to stop it when they all go home for Christmas?

#123 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

Won't they have to stop it when they all go home for Christmas?

No. The Endurance Run has always been pre-recorded episodes; it's not as though they're actually playing the game daily. They'll probably play the game (or have played the game) a bunch and will divide the episodes in a way to go through the Christmas break.

#124 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@gladspooky said:

Won't they have to stop it when they all go home for Christmas?

No. The Endurance Run has always been pre-recorded episodes; it's not as though they're actually playing the game daily. They'll probably play the game (or have played the game) a bunch and will divide the episodes in a way to go through the Christmas break.

Seems like a weird time to be uploading your Let's Play of Chrono Trigger, but eh, whatever.

#125 Posted by agerstone (107 posts) -

wah wah wah wah wah

#126 Edited by Renachan (137 posts) -
@Brackynews@Brackynews said:

@Renachan said:

There is the possibility you might be slightly biased.

Someone has not watched enough ER and is missing the joke.

Ahem. Someone is missing the joke that a user named Crono with a Crono avatar might be slightly biased towards a CT ER. (I thought quoting the avatar pic itself might be too obvious. Guess not... ;)

I totally agree with the rest of your points though. And welcome to Giant Bomb. ;)

Wow I am not looking enough |D Oh well, giving people too much credit happens too. I may or may not totally ignore icons most of the time on these forums. 
 
I will add I'm not sure if I will like it, but hey, totally willing to watch and see if it works. And thank you, though not quiiiite a new user here XD Actually been around since 2008, I just.... really don't post on the forums. Read a lot, but lazy about posting here. 
 
 
As for timing, this gives them something in the slump between now and GOTY. Considering it still ties up some people, but for all we know they could already have a big chunk recorded.
#127 Posted by ALavaPenguin (182 posts) -

Sounds awesome to me Ryan and Patrick would make a great team for it. I am way into it... but the question is... who is in the controls.. I am guessing Patrick ryan is a back seat sort of guy I think

#128 Posted by Hailinel (23971 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

@Hailinel said:

@WorldDude said:

@Napalm said:

@Milkman said:

Hey guys, I'm just here to complain about something I haven't watched yet.

Your right guys Jack and Jill totally looks like a great movie.

I generally don't complain about movies I had no intent to see anyway.

#129 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@Hailinel: Internet 101: Complain about everything constantly. It's your RIGHT to do so, and anyone who says otherwise is a filthy pinko commie trampling all over your constitutional rights.

#130 Posted by WhiteBrightKnight (166 posts) -

@AnimZero said:

Wow, you guys. What's wrong with Ryan and Patrick? I think they're pretty awesome. At any rate, I'm excited for the new Endurance Run. (:

My problem with patrick and ryan, especially together, is that they can be way too cynical and not give games a chance. Ryan in particular seems to assume he knows things which he doesn't, and doesn't admit to not knowing these things. Patrick is okay, but he suffers similarly and whenever ryan is in a ql with him they kinda enable each other in their cynicism. It's hard to describe, and I'm sure not everyone feels that way. The Conduit 2 quick look probably exemplifies this the best. But whatevs, an ER is an ER so I'll at least give it a chance.

#131 Posted by Dezztroy (776 posts) -

@WhiteBrightKnight said:

@AnimZero said:

Wow, you guys. What's wrong with Ryan and Patrick? I think they're pretty awesome. At any rate, I'm excited for the new Endurance Run. (:

My problem with patrick and ryan, especially together, is that they can be way too cynical and not give games a chance. Ryan in particular seems to assume he knows things which he doesn't, and doesn't admit to not knowing these things. Patrick is okay, but he suffers similarly and whenever ryan is in a ql with him they kinda enable each other in their cynicism. It's hard to describe, and I'm sure not everyone feels that way. The Conduit 2 quick look probably exemplifies this the best. But whatevs, an ER is an ER so I'll at least give it a chance.

Pretty much this. Patrick also tends to act like he knows things he doesn't. The Deus Ex Throwback comes to mind.

#132 Posted by ErinIsADrunk (164 posts) -

Kind of weird time to start the Endurance Run with Thanksgiving just passing, GOTY podcast stuff coming up and then the winter break they take.

I assume they are just recording a bunch of these in advance or they've already recorded the whole thing.

#133 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@tallTuck94 said:

i feel that this may be more of ryan and patrick wanting to play through a game they missed rather than them playing a crazy game for entertainment

Well, that's what the reasoning behind the original Endurance Run was as well: Vinny wanted to play through Persona 4 but he didn't have the time so he made a video feature out of it. It might have just been luck that it turned out as great as it did.

I know they originally wanted to play it for themselves but the fact persona 4 was a bit mental was a big part of it, same with deadly premonition. I just feel from what I've heard (I'll be open with the fact that I haven't played Chrono trigger) that we won't be getting any craziness from Chrono and isn't that a big part of it?

Although I am still going to watch it no matter what :D

#134 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I hope its not premium subscribers only.

#135 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@tallTuck94 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@tallTuck94 said:

i feel that this may be more of ryan and patrick wanting to play through a game they missed rather than them playing a crazy game for entertainment

Well, that's what the reasoning behind the original Endurance Run was as well: Vinny wanted to play through Persona 4 but he didn't have the time so he made a video feature out of it. It might have just been luck that it turned out as great as it did.

I know they originally wanted to play it for themselves but the fact persona 4 was a bit mental was a big part of it, same with deadly premonition. I just feel from what I've heard (I'll be open with the fact that I haven't played Chrono trigger) that we won't be getting any craziness from Chrono and isn't that a big part of it?

Although I am still going to watch it no matter what :D

There's plenty of craziness in Chrono Trigger. It's just that some people have played is so much/for so long that they don't think there is.

#136 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

There's plenty of craziness in Chrono Trigger. It's just that some people have played is so much/for so long that they don't think there is.

Not in the same vein as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition.

#137 Posted by Hailinel (23971 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@gladspooky said:

There's plenty of craziness in Chrono Trigger. It's just that some people have played is so much/for so long that they don't think there is.

Not in the same vein as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition.

Neither Persona 4 nor Deadly Premonition were crazy in the same ways, either.

#138 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Not in the same vein as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition.

Neither Persona 4 nor Deadly Premonition were crazy in the same ways, either.

That's true, but for those two games, they were both linked by the common aspect of comedy (whether intentional or unintentional). There's not much of that in Chrono Trigger.

#139 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

WHY DO SOME OF YOU NOT HAVE THE SAME OPINIONS AS I? ARGH!

#140 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Not in the same vein as Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition.

Neither Persona 4 nor Deadly Premonition were crazy in the same ways, either.

That's true, but for those two games, they were both linked by the common aspect of comedy (whether intentional or unintentional). There's not much of that in Chrono Trigger.

Anything is funny when two grown men play together.

#141 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Anything is funny when two grown men play together.

And that's why I'm not dismissing this Endurance Run right now. I have my fears, but it could be great if Ryan and Patrick find a way to make it funny enough.

#142 Posted by AuthenticM (3700 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: If there is something I've learned about Ryan, it's his ability to turn any situation into a funny one.

#143 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Great! I'll bring the popcorn.

#144 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

can't wait.. something to watch before work.

#145 Posted by ack (136 posts) -

holy shit why does everyone hate patrick klepek

i am almost certain hes great

#146 Posted by ack (136 posts) -

i got the thing i wanted but it's not exactly how i wanted or something???

im real mad!!

#147 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

I'm not really interested in this one. Not feeling the Ryan and Patrick combo plus I bought Chrono Trigger off PSN and want to play it myself. I'll probably read through the comments just to see the general reaction, hopefully no spoilers will be given. I hope it's entertaining for people and has the ability to become something special for people. The Persona 4 endurance run got me into the Persona series and it's just fun to watch at anytime, I downloaded all the episodes and burned them to DVD. I have to get around to making a sick case and episode descriptors for it.

#148 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@ack said:

i got the thing i wanted but it's not exactly how i wanted or something???

im real mad!!

All people do everything all of the time. I use absolutes because I'm on the internet.

#149 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
@gladspooky

@ack said:

i got the thing i wanted but it's not exactly how i wanted or something???

im real mad!!

All people do everything all of the time. I use absolutes because I'm on the internet.

Why the fuck arn't they doing what I want.
#150 Posted by DRX3 (2 posts) -

Give me Vinny or give me ... no no just give me Vinny =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.