How Long is Chrono Trigger?

#1 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I still have this to complete along with The World Ends With You and i was just wondering how long it might take. Also if you have completed the game what was your End Time, and do Side Quest significantly increase time and are they worth seeking out.

#2 Posted by Blair (2511 posts) -

Maybe 20-30 hours depending on your speed.  I played it multiple times and tried to experience every bit of content on the cart so, for me, it took longer.

#3 Posted by StarFoxA (5160 posts) -

The side quests aren't incredibly difficult, and most of them are pretty interesting even from a plot perspective (all of them give some more depth to the characters that the side quest is meant for). I'd say that the game is about 20 hours long, maybe less depending on how many of the side quests you complete.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

The game is 20-30 hours long, but I remember putting a lot more time into the game when I was younger just because of the insane amount of grinding I did in the final dungeon.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Like 10-12 hours for the first storyline. I'm including Crono's revival and beating Lavos. You can play again for more endings, which I suspect is where everybody's getting 20-30 hours, but I don't count those, so it's 10-12.

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

It will consume your live
#7 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Like 10-12 hours for the first storyline. I'm including Crono's revival and beating Lavos. You can play again for more endings, which I suspect is where everybody's getting 20-30 hours, but I don't count those, so it's 10-12. "
Dude, you're crazy.  It took far longer than 10-12 hours for me to beat the game the first time.
#8 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I remember hitting the 20 hour mark with a few sidequests and the final showdown left, so it'll probably take you about 25 hours. 
If you played the first Golden Sun, their lengths are comparable.

#9 Posted by JerkFace (119 posts) -

The length doesn't matter.  It's basically the best JRPG ever made.  Go enjoy the shit out of it.

#10 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

Technically, you can get an ending as soon as you enter the End of Time, and that's just a few hours.

#11 Edited by Marz (5658 posts) -

5 minutes, if you use the super secret shortcut :)   (yes you do need to beat the game one time to use the shortcut)

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" Technically, you can get an ending as soon as you enter the End of Time, and that's just a few hours. "
That ending isn't possible until the second playthrough at minimum.
#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -

34-50 hours including side quests.
the one fetch side quest is insanely boring and long though so you might want to skip it.

#14 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@Hailinel:  I may be mistaken (I haven't played CT in 5 years or so), but isn't there an ending if you lose against Lavos there?
#15 Posted by x_XJules (303 posts) -

FOREVER.  

Jk. Chrono Trigger FTW.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Hailinel: 

Hold on, let me check. Fuck, it seems I deleted that save. I'll have to check next time I beat it, but I remember it being in the 10 hour range.
#17 Posted by Steve_C (1756 posts) -

I think I put in about 35 hours or so. I only played through once, but got most of the sidequests done.

Didn't find it nearly half as impressive as it was made out to be. TWEWY on the other hand... amazing.

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

Just finished the game a minute ago.  It was the first time I played through this game and I played it on an emulator (but I rarely used save states, so that shouldn't factor in much to my total play time).  Final time: about 17 hours.  I don't think I did many side quests.

#19 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

I don't know. *waves hands frantically* Game sized.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @Hailinel:  I may be mistaken (I haven't played CT in 5 years or so), but isn't there an ending if you lose against Lavos there? "
Ah, right.  Well, that ending is more of an elaborate "Game Over" than anything else.
#21 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@Hailinel:  For sure, but considering that a large portion of the endings are variations of "You messed up, Lavos eats the world. Game Over.", I think it should count, right?
#22 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Hard to tell, seeing as there's so much time travel. Probably 3000 years.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @Hailinel:  For sure, but considering that a large portion of the endings are variations of "You messed up, Lavos eats the world. Game Over.", I think it should count, right? "
That's not what most of the endings are like at all.
#24 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@Hailinel:  I didn't say most, I was just saying there are number of "You suck, go home" endings.
#25 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @Hailinel:  I didn't say most, I was just saying there are number of "You suck, go home" endings. "
Not even that, really.  The alternate endings are by and large meant to be humorous.
#26 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Alright I am exactly 7 hours in and I just got to The End of Time, so who knows what that says about what my time will ultimately be.

@Hailinel said:

" @Mmmslash said:
" @Hailinel:  I didn't say most, I was just saying there are number of "You suck, go home" endings. "
Not even that, really.  The alternate endings are by and large meant to be humorous. "

If i may ask a second question pertaining to your discussion, are the alternate endings really worth seeking out?
#27 Posted by tranquilchaos (575 posts) -

About 25 hours.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Resident4t:  Some of them are.  The goofiest of them all is the developers' room ending, which is the most difficult of the bunch to get.  Others offer some silly twists on the game.  I don't really have any interest in hunting down the ending that was added for the DS version, though.  It tries to tie things into Chrono Cross, but Chrono Cross's plot became a disaster the moment they tried linking the game to the characters and events of Chrono Trigger.
#29 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@Resident4t:  Some of the endings are really, really good. There's even one where everyone is part dinosaur in the present.

Unfortunately, a lot of the endings are just slight variations of other endings, determined by side-quests and in-game decisions at various bits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.