Is Chrono Trigger still worth playing?

#1 Posted by Flacracker (1573 posts) -

I have seen the Endurance Run™ and since I am getting a 3DS I wanted to know if it is still worth a playthrough or two if I have never played it myself. Also, what are some games that you guys have viewed all the way through but never actually played?

#2 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Yes it is defiantly still worth playing and for the second question, probably deadly premonition.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11638 posts) -

Yes, and the DS version is better than the SNES version too.

#4 Posted by SkyTown_Drifts (47 posts) -

@__Lotus said:

I'm planning on playing it for the first time as soon as I can. However, I'm going to start with the SNES version b/c that is the version everyone fell in love with and I'd rather experience it that way.

I've noticed a lot of praise for the DS version, but I've also noticed a few complaints (isn't the frog character's speech modified in a way that compromises the character?).

They changed it to the original Japanese version of the character. The English version had him speaking in a Shakespearean way. The Japanese version has him speaking differently.

#5 Posted by Aleryn (703 posts) -

Yeah it's worth playing through. I'd recommend keeping the battle system ACTIVE, WAIT kills most of the tension that keeps it fun.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

This, though I'd also argue that the new DS-specific ending is not worth the trouble. What the DS version does have, however, is a good localization crossed with the added content of the PS1 version, minus the PS1 version's atrocious load times. The DS version is truly the optimal version of the game.

#7 Edited by Thrillhouse87 (228 posts) -

I just finished the game some weeks ago, and then started watching the endurance run (only the finale episode left now) and yes, its still great.  

@__Lotus

said:  

I'm planning on playing it for the first time as soon as I can. However, I'm going to start with the SNES version b/c that is the version everyone fell in love with and I'd rather experience it that way.

I've noticed a lot of praise for the DS version, but I've also noticed a few complaints (isn't the frog character's speech modified in a way that compromises the character?).

I would strongly recommend the DS version. Its closer to the original japanese version, and the SNES version was also censored in some places, like (very mild not story related spoiler?) when your party wakes up with a hangover after drinking too much, in the SNES version they wake up with a tummy ache  after eating too much soup. 
#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -
@BeachThunder

This. The game holds up perfectly.
#9 Posted by Hunter5024 (5506 posts) -

It's still got better combat than any JRPG ever made, so absolutely, though your enjoyment will probably be diminished a little by the endurance run, just be sure to use a different party than they did.

#10 Posted by Flacracker (1573 posts) -

Thanks for the responses. Ill be sure to name my character Brono.

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (6954 posts) -

The DS version is fo defs the way to go.

#12 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

It's still worth playing because John Romero said so. Play it or he'd make you his biatch.

#13 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

Absolutely!

#14 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Uh, do you want to play it?

Answer yes or no, and there's your fucking answer.

#15 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

You should play it, DS version is the one i played.

I may not be right but i think the only reason Brog talked british is because in japanese he spoke in heavy honorifics. I may be wrong.

#16 Posted by LikeaSsur (1487 posts) -

Chrono Trigger is always worth playing.

#17 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

yes it is and you should play it.

#18 Posted by D_W (1109 posts) -

Chrono Trigger is alright. Keep in mind that it fairly on the easy side especially if you've played an jRPG before. It's also fairly short for a jRPG at about 20 to 25 hours. The DS version is certainly the version to get. Not only does it have all the nifty cut scenes from the PS version but a good chunk of new content as well.

#19 Edited by tutuboy95 (90 posts) -

I finally got Chrono Trigger on the DS a couple of days ago and I can't stop playing. It's practically the same as the SNES version but it's just a marvel to play. It's definitely worth it. Also, if you have a PS3, look into getting Chrono Cross, its sequel, on PSN. That game was also a masterpiece. Or so I've been told.

#20 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1798 posts) -

Chrono Trigger is absolutely worth playing today. That's the problem with Endurance Runs, I want to play the games myself and I don't want to watch someone else play it. I may be interested in Deadly Premonition, though.

#21 Posted by Flacracker (1573 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Chrono Trigger is absolutely worth playing today. That's the problem with Endurance Runs, I want to play the games myself and I don't want to watch someone else play it. I may be interested in Deadly Premonition, though.

Deadly Premonition has very terrible gameplay. It is better to watch someone else play it rather than play it yourself.

#22 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Yes it holds up well.

#23 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

@__Lotus said:

So, in other words, I'd be making a huge mistake playing the SNES version over the DS version?

Nope, the SNES version is perfectly fine. The DS version made some enhancements and sorted out some translation problems but nothing terribly important.

#24 Posted by JackG100 (403 posts) -

Not really, the SNES version plays well, atleast on my SNES-emulator it did...

#25 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@Korwin said:

@__Lotus said:

So, in other words, I'd be making a huge mistake playing the SNES version over the DS version?

Nope, the SNES version is perfectly fine. The DS version made some enhancements and sorted out some translation problems but nothing terribly important.

Well, there is the matter of the SNES version coming being over a decade and a half old at this point and who knows what sort of shape the batteries in any old cartridge is.

#26 Posted by Aleryn (703 posts) -

The original version of Chrono Trigger when played on a SNES has slowdown in areas. For example I remember the worldmap around Guardia 600AD chugging a bit because of the mist layer. I remember this slowdown being eliminated in emulation of the game when I last tried it around oh... 2002. The slowdown on the SNES wasn't a big deal, and I don't recall ever having notable slowdown issues in the meat of the game; the COMBAT. The DS version has no technical issues that I've encountered in my two or three playthtoughs of it. Though it'd probably be cool to play the ORIGINAL to hear the music on the soundcard it was designed for.

#27 Posted by Ducksworth (659 posts) -

If you've already watched the endurance run then you probably already know how the game goes. At the moment the game is pretty cheap so if you think playing through the game to watch another ending is worth it then definitely.

@Psykhophear said:

It's still worth playing because John Romero said so. Play it or he'd make you his biatch.

Is that...Cybernet?

#28 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Many 16-bit era games are timeless classics - Chrono Trigger is.

#29 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Silly question this thread is

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.